havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Even though the theology may seem similar, I think that Christian denominations or cults are so varied, that it is important to take aim at the very worst of them, and to attempt to convince the vast majority that these variations, at least, are horrid and dangerous - even though some others might not be so bad. Among the worst ones, I would call:

Catholic contributors complicity cult - those who contribute money to the church that will filter up to Pope ratty and his accomplices. People should give food to food pantries instead, or give away clothing, glasses, shoes, and other useful items. Pope ratty was the head of the Inquisition before he became Pope, and now he is persecuting nice nuns.

Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints - an offshoot of the Mormon Church, these are still polygamist, and allegedly practice ritual spiritual marriages otherwise more properly described as statory rape of young girls by church elders, if the charges are correct. Some of the women and children of this cult were rescued for a while, and then some fools got the other women of the cult to do publicity to whine about the loss of their children, and to turn the tide against the inept rescuers - I think this was in Texas. A few of the worst leaders are still being charged with crimes, but not the rest of the men who abuse the girls.

The Armageddon Welcoming and Facilitating Committee - this is my invented term for those who want the end times to happen soon, and who want to rush God toward the last days, Armageddon, the Final Battle - and in many cases, the Rapture for themselves personally, so they do not have to suffer any of the plagues and wars and other disasters and dangers and harms. These folks include GOP rightwing politicians who are pushing for war in the Middle East - next time presumably with Iran - partly because they think this will carry out prophecy in the Book of Revelation.

Those who threaten hell to those who disagree with them. self-explanatory.

Those who say sinners are forgiven once they embrace a certain doctrine, and cannot get unforgiven, no matter how much harm they do, once they are converted to the right beliefs. This is a free pass to do evil. Contrasted to these are those who insist that to be forgiven one must reform and stay reformed - and even better, those who ask the sinner to make amends as best is possible to anyone he has ever harmed, or to others who need help, if those he harmed cannot be helped anymore.

Anyone else having other groups to add, feel free to make suggestions. And anyone who thinks they are all equally awful, you may present your case, and explain why you disagree with singling out any ones as particularly awful.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

I see most atheists on here do not like the burden of distinguishing between more or less awful Christians, and want to launch attacks more or less at all of them. I still strongly disagree with that tactic. I think there is a remnant of good people who call themselves Christians. I use the word remnant on purpose.

Among the bad persons who are Christians, are folks in many different denominations. And there can be a good person here and there even within one of the really bad cults, I think, if they are not too brainwashed and controlled and ruined. Their kindness can still survive, even if their intellects are forbidden to develop.

Among the worst types of Christians, or of any religion, are those who believe in a chosen people, or people who are saved, or special in some way. Mny people feel that about themselves and their own kind. Others have been told to think it applies to the Jews and Israel and a promised land. Other cultures in other times have also had such exceptionalist notions. Many Americans believe in American exceptionalism and Christian exceptionalism in a very far extremist rightwing context.

For me, one set of the worst types of rightwing-hristians are those who are rightwing-Republicans, and who have taken their views into the political process, and who often have no moral compass, other than their theological extremist views, and their Establishmentarian purposes - which are not moral, in my view.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

There's Iglesia Ni Cristo aka church of christ. A dangerous cult founded in the Philippines by a rapist conman. They have a penchant for threatening, beating, maiming even killing members who leave the cult. They're building a cult compound in south dakota! Jonestown part two. Look them up a very dangerous group.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

"christian cults to avoid": All Protestant and Catholic Denominations.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

MrDesoto1 wrote:
"christian cults to avoid": All Protestant and Catholic Denominations.
also Mormons, I assume, if they are not really normal protestants. what about Christian Science? Scientology? There are other cults to avoid, also, of course - both of other religions and of a different type, political ones of family ones, if the term can be extended that far.

I like the term reason's greetings. very clever. glad to meet you.

I assume you are generalizing above, but do you think some are worse and more dangerous than others?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
There's Iglesia Ni Cristo aka church of christ. A dangerous cult founded in the Philippines by a rapist conman. They have a penchant for threatening, beating, maiming even killing members who leave the cult. They're building a cult compound in south dakota! Jonestown part two. Look them up a very dangerous group.
wow - never heard of that! thanks for the information, though it makes me uneasy. in S. Dakota? where? hope not close to N. Iowa! but nw Iowa is a land of pretty lakes and nutty politics. and hardly any colleges or universities.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> also Mormons, I assume, if they are not really normal protestants. what about Christian Science? Scientology? There are other cults to avoid, also, of course - both of other religions and of a different type, political ones of family ones, if the term can be extended that far.
I like the term reason's greetings. very clever. glad to meet you.
I assume you are generalizing above, but do you think some are worse and more dangerous than others?
My pleasure!
I borrowed that "Reason's Greetings" from a holiday card from the FFRF.org site.
Some demoninations may be worse than others, however most of them seem to have no issue with intruding into the lives of everyone, believers or not. Some are even going so far as to call for the death of others:
http://www.goddiscussion.com/97334/biblical-i ...
"Biblical instruction teaches school children about murdering donkeys and atheists"
"Katherine Stewart, journalist and author of The Good News Club, has been warning that there is an effort to include extreme, fundamentalist Christian indoctrination in American schools. In the May 30, 2012, issue of The Guardian, she noted that one of the after-school Biblical studies to be taught to over 100,000 American schoolchildren is the story of Saul and the Amalekites:
In the book of 1 Samuel (15:3), God said to Saul:
"Now go, attack the Amalekites, and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."
Saul dutifully exterminated the women, the children, the babies and all of the men but then he spared the king. He also saved some of the tastier looking calves and lambs. God was furious with him for his failure to finish the job.
The story of the Amalekites has been used to justify genocide throughout the ages.
This fall, more than 100,000 American public school children, ranging in age from four to 12, are scheduled to receive instruction in the lessons of Saul and the Amalekites in the comfort of their own public school classrooms. The instruction, which features in the second week of a weekly "Bible study" course, will come from the Good News Club, an after-school program sponsored by a group called the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF). The aim of the CEF is to convert young children to a fundamentalist form of the Christian faith and recruit their peers to the club.
Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks commented on this story, noting that it calls into question what can be taught in after-school programs and what the Bible is about.
"I always say, read the Bible," Uygur remarked, "and if you read this and say,'Oh, yeah, you know what, God is awesome because He wanted you to wipe out that entire race, including their fricking donkeys' okay, all right. And I know everybody's got a lot of excuses 'Oh no, that's in the Old Testament, the New Testament takes out the Old Testament except for Genesis and the Garden of Eden and except for all the parts that we like and except for hating the gays.'"
Stewart, in her article published at The Guardian, notes that the teaching materials emphasize absolute obedience to God and that non-believers deserved punishment:
The Amalekites had heard about Israel's true and living God many years before, but they refused to believe in him. The Amalekites refused to believe in God and God had promised punishment."
Also the Salvation Army called for the death to gays in Australia
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/26/andr...
First, they call for the deaths of these citizens. Then, who will it be next?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

"The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own." ~ Frank Zappa

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••