How the Name Kills Our Aim

Jun 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Kos

The above photo was sent to me by a fundamentalist Christian minister friend of mine and exemplifies the fact that the National Atheist Party's name puts us at an insurmountable disadvantage in terms of our goal as a viable political party.

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jun 24, 2013

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#1 Jun 22, 2013
Sure it puts us at a disadvantage. Why? The majority of Americans are not yet willing to accept atheists as being human. In their eyes, we are nothing and worthy of no consideration. The religious still have a strong grip on this country and they know it, too.
Siro

Australia

#2 Jun 22, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Sure it puts us at a disadvantage. Why? The majority of Americans are not yet willing to accept atheists as being human. In their eyes, we are nothing and worthy of no consideration. The religious still have a strong grip on this country and they know it, too.
You dont like it?
Go to north korea with BitchurdFU

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Jun 23, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont like it?
Go to north korea with BitchurdFU
Religion has not made you a better person - we're just going by the evidence.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#4 Jun 23, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont like it?
Go to north korea with BitchurdFU
Yes I will... I will replace one god for another god and worship some dead guy who had his birth was foretold by a swallow, and when his was born it was in a secret military camp on a Mountain, and after his birth there was a double rainbow across the sky over the base and a new star was over the base as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il#Birt...
Yes I will follow your advice and move to the theocracy of Kim Jong-il! Now can this C*** about atheists dreaming of North Korea end here.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#5 Jun 23, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I will... I will replace one god for another god and worship some dead guy who had his birth was foretold by a swallow, and when his was born it was in a secret military camp on a Mountain, and after his birth there was a double rainbow across the sky over the base and a new star was over the base as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il#Birt...
Yes I will follow your advice and move to the theocracy of Kim Jong-il! Now can this C*** about atheists dreaming of North Korea end here.
And Global Star shall point the way.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#7 Jun 23, 2013
Right now that Siro has been dealt with on to the article.
No calling yourself the National Atheist Party does not harm the cause it helps it, the reason why the word atheist has a long list of stereotypes is because of religious bulling. If we wish to change this we must call our self’s atheists and show how wrong the stereotypes are by example, if we don’t then no matter what we call our self’s the stigmas will just be transferred over to that word, i.e. the stereotypes connected with homosexual were moved to the word gay when the homosexual community rebranded it’s self.
No word game will help and it would look like we are avoiding the “issues” the religious like to use against us, we must instead deal with these “issues” head on without political dancing and advertising techniques.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8 Jun 23, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont like it?
Go to north korea with BitchurdFU
North Koreans are religious.
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#9 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
North Koreans are religious.
Yeah, they worship the atheist creed of marxism by coercion as you would like to see the rest of the world do.
.
Oh, I almost forgot.....
Poof

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10 Jun 23, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they worship the atheist creed of marxism by coercion as you would like to see the rest of the world do.
.
Oh, I almost forgot.....
Poof
Are you truly as clueless as you appear to be, or do you just pretend? North Koreans believe their leader is a god, this has been their religion for a very long time. It is similar to that of ancient Egypt, only far more primitive, and highly unstable as a country due to the corruption of their leaders, of course, anyone that believes they are "the" god is very prone to such corruption. Just as anyone who believes they are "hearing god" are also very prone to corruption, as the monarchs of Europe have taught us.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#11 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you truly as clueless as you appear to be, or do you just pretend? North Koreans believe their leader is a god, this has been their religion for a very long time. It is similar to that of ancient Egypt, only far more primitive, and highly unstable as a country due to the corruption of their leaders, of course, anyone that believes they are "the" god is very prone to such corruption. Just as anyone who believes they are "hearing god" are also very prone to corruption, as the monarchs of Europe have taught us.
You are clueless as can be. North Koreans do not "believe" their leader is a God. Now they "act" as if he is or they will be killed. Go chase a mouse where you will have meaning in something.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#12 Jun 24, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You are clueless as can be. North Koreans do not "believe" their leader is a God. Now they "act" as if he is or they will be killed. Go chase a mouse where you will have meaning in something.
So then christians don't believe there is a god either, they just act like there is in fear of their immortal souls. You complete lack of logic astounds me, people in North Korea are indoctrinated in this belief that their leader is a god, in the same way that christians are indoctrinated by their parents to believe the bible is true.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#13 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then christians don't believe there is a god either, they just act like there is in fear of their immortal souls. You complete lack of logic astounds me, people in North Korea are indoctrinated in this belief that their leader is a god, in the same way that christians are indoctrinated by their parents to believe the bible is true.
Like I said you are clueless. But I think North Korea would be a good place for you to live. When can you leave? LMAO
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14 Jun 24, 2013
I didn't want to waste my time reading a Daily Kos article, but I suppose the aim is to show that atheists are as positive, honest and responsible as religionists?

I suppose the NAP might provide a a protests vote, but the aim is to promote secular politics and to get religion out of politics. Non-believers don't want to be, nor appear to be complicit in separating voters into believers and non-believers. Let religionists continue to take the blame for that prejudice....

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/06/24/mo...

Only 54% of respondents answered yes to the question: "If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for President [of the USA] who happened to be atheist".
Religion/agnosticism/atheism should be regarded as the nonsense is by people of all political hues.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...

Non-believers have won the argument that 'atheists' are every bit as good and honorable as religionists. It's now a matter of getting getting that acknowledged by voters of all hues.

The USA has largely overcome open prejudice against women, gays and blacks in the last 100 years. Now USAmericans must end the prejudice against atheists and, perhaps even more important, learn that not every issue has to be a fight and to change their minds more readily. That USAmericans "do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities" (W. Churchill) has been noted but it isn't the best tradition to keep unaltered.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

#15 Jun 24, 2013
The article claims that there is a better way to define non believers than atheist, but it does not say what that better way is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min ChristineM 226,271
Our world came from nothing? 14 min _Bad Company 405
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 18 min Patrick 20
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 24 min ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 29 min Patrick 54
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr MUQ1 21,499
100% Faith Free 4 hr Reason Personified 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••