Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Read more: News24 14,553

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Read more

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#15032 Nov 17, 2013
Atheists are horrible wrote:
<quoted text>
People like you are modern day examples of why people were slaughtered in the Bible.
Those were the good ol' days I guess, when filthy atheist blasphemers , like yourself, were stoned to death. Would have been good CNN reporting to have seen that.
I can just see you clawing along the sides of Noah's boat, begging for mercy, trying to get onboard, just before drowning as punishment for your years of enjoying your willful mockery.
Oh well, eternal damnation and intense torture will be awaiting you once your pathetic and worthless life is over.
You horrid person.
Thank you for testifying on behalf of your Lord and Savior who commands you to love your brother even if he strikes you repeatedly.

I also want to thank you for judging on your God's behalf and wishing Hell and damnation to one of your fellow men.

You have helped to prove that the Bible is a worthless book, full of contradictions and fairytales and that the Religious among us are hateful, spiteful people and are the very whited sepulcher that your Christ spoke of.

It seems religion does not make you a good person although you speak loud and strong that you are better for your beliefs. I have no belief in a god although I was raised in the church. I do believe that Jesus' followers are the very ones who drive us to open our eyes, however. Once you the scales drop from your eyes the falsehoods and hypocrisy are more evident and you realize that they were there all along begging for sanity and reason to lift the burden of "faith" from your shoulders.

I have certainty in my heart that you are a bad person and your beliefs are bad for humankind. The sooner the scourge of theism is gone from the face of the earth, the better off we will be.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#15033 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
People like you are modern day examples of why people were slaughtered in the Bible.
Those were the good ol' days I guess, when filthy atheist blasphemers , like yourself, were stoned to death. Would have been good CNN reporting to have seen that.
I can just see you clawing along the sides of Noah's boat, begging for mercy, trying to get onboard, just before drowning as punishment for your years of enjoying your willful mockery.
Oh well, eternal damnation and intense torture will be awaiting you once your pathetic and worthless life is over.
You horrid person.
Another insight into the tormented heart of a GENUINE CHRISTIAN™. Oh well ... if it makes you feel any worse, I long for the "good ol' days" myself ... those happy times before everybody started gorging themselves on the Tree of Knowledge. Alas, that cat is out of the bag, no going back. Ignorance is bliss (they say) which should make you one of the few truly happy people on Topix! You have a strange way of showing it!

Basically, the only people who weren't "clawing along the sides" of Noah's magical boat were related to Noah. I wonder if you would have 'made the cut' and been found worthy of your monster-god's tender mercy. For some reason I tend to doubt it.

Anyway, you're an amusing creature ... a real anachronism ... here, let me offer you my other cheek ...

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#15034 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
When is your fear of being wrong ever going to end, allowing you to stop requesting for proof? Are you unwilling to admit your faith in atheism is inadequate and very weak?
I really do pity your loss.
One doesn't need to "fear being wrong" when verifiable evidence is required before believing something is "right".

You only need "faith" (in the religious sense) when there is no evidence to support what you're being asked to 'believe'.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#15035 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Needing proof is your mental weakness.... and your resulting anger and temper tantrums are expected....the Bible even predicts this reaction.
You'll understand this once you are burning with flames wrapped around you for eternity. And yes, I know you already know this but your stupidity keeps you retaliating against the truth.
Please, feel free to continue to persecute me. The Bible predicted it.
pointing out/drawing attention to your stupidity does not equal 'persecution'.

If you don't like having your stupidity pointed out and laughed at just keep it to yourself

Location hidden

#15036 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
You're an atheist.
Yes, your point?
<quoted text>
You are headed straight to Hell.
According to your imagination.
<quoted text>
If you truly thought I was wrong, you would have the confidence in your atheism to just blow me off and never reply again.
Atheism is a simple disbelief in the lies that religious people tell.
<quoted text>
But you will........*waiting now*.
When you are more confidence about your cult, you will post proof of god and then god will become part of scientific knowledge.

We will use god to help keep people warm, feed them, stop them getting ill.

All these things are more are possible, when you liars can prove your god.

But you can't and choose to spread your mental illness instead.

Your choice. Now take responsibility for it as the world changes.

Location hidden

#15037 Nov 18, 2013
The first lie is God.

The second lie is the threat of hell.

Now you you know that Atheists don't fear either of these lies, what will you say next?

You're full of sh*t and you know it.
Barry

Israel

#15038 Nov 18, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Are Theists more or less 'rational' than Atheists? Be honest. Spare me the canned 'why certainty is irrational' explanation. Is it a sword that cuts both ways or not? Is Agnosticism the only rational philosophical principle? I hope not.
It is not the certainty that is irrational.

There are two ways one can be rational and believe with certainty in God. First, it is possible (at least in theory) that God might introduce Himself tou you. Although we have a right to view any such claim with extreme skepticism, we must also admit that someone could come to possess absolute certainty about God's existence through such an event.
Second, one could come to know that God exists through indirect evidence, i.e. through circumstances and phenomena that cannot be explained without positing God's existence. A great deal of what we know today, we know only through such indirect evidence. For example, we know that there was once an American president called Abraham Lincoln. We know this not because we ever met Lincoln, but because there is no other reasonable way to explain the existence of a universally accepted tradition that he lived. Whether direct or indirect evidence of God actually exists is a separate issue. The point here is that it is possible for such evidence to exist, and therefore we cannot a priori know that someone is irrational just because he claims to know that there is a God.
It is also possible the be rational and be uncertain if God exists, just as it is possible to be rational and be uncertain if any particular person, force, or object exists. Until one has either direct or indirect evidence, it is reasonable to remain unsure.
In contrast, it is impossible to be rational and know with certainty that God does not exist, just as it is impossible to be rational and know that any person, object, or force does not exist. Knowing with certainty that something does not exist requires first being aware of all things that do exist. This would mean simultaneously examining every cubic centimetre of the universe for the objects or forces in question. Because we cannot monitor every corner of the universe, we cannot reasonably declare the non-existence of anything -- including God.
Any student of history knows how many men have made fools of themselves proclaiming the non-existence of things: of a continent west of Europe; of a particle smaller than the atom; of a natural force besides gravity and magnetism. Atheism -- the state of knowing that God does not exist -- is inherently irrational.
Barry

Israel

#15039 Nov 18, 2013
Why, then, do some very rational people claim to be atheists?
Most of them do not understand the difference between atheism and agnosticism. These people are really just healthy skeptics; lacking any evidence of God's existence, they are unwilling to call themselves believers. Once introduced to the category of agnosticism, though, these people happily re-label their attitude.
Other professed atheists understand the distinction between atheism and agnosticism but do not fully appreciate the former's inherent illogic. Most of these people were raised in non-religious homes. Since religion was a non-issue for their parents, it became a non-issue for them, and their atheism was affirmed more out of inertia than conviction. These people slip comfortably into the agnostics' camp when seriously questioned.
A smaller group of atheists affirm their atheism as a rebellion against their religious parents or school. Since most of these people rebel for emotional reasons (not intellectual ones), they are not deterred by any demonstration that their position is irrational. Their desire to condemn religion or religious people closes their minds.
The smallest group of declared atheists are highly sensitive and intelligent people. Most have never encountered arguments for God's existence, but they are woefully familiar with the single most powerful argument against it: bad things happen to good people. Most of these people have experienced real suffering, either firsthand or through a friend or relative. For them, personal tragedy speaks only too eloquently of God's non-existence. Still, when faced with atheism's inherent irrationality, even these people retreat to highly skeptical agnosticism.
Therefore, of the three possible attitudes one can take towards God -- belief, agnosticism, and atheism -- only the first two are rationally defensible. The third is a viable option only for someone who either does not know or does not care what atheism is.

Location hidden

#15040 Nov 18, 2013
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two ways one can be rational and believe with certainty in God. First, it is possible (at least in theory) that God might introduce Himself tou you.
Stupid lie, because god isn't real.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
Although we have a right to view any such claim with extreme skepticism, we must also admit that someone could come to possess absolute certainty about God's existence through such an event.
Such and event is called a delusion of reference, and is the primary symptom of the mental illness of faith.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, one could come to know that God exists through indirect evidence, i.e. through circumstances and phenomena that cannot be explained without positing God's existence.
There is no indirect or direct evidence for god. Part of the mental illness of faith, is convincing oneself that there is, despite no evidence and evidence to the contrary.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
A great deal of what we know today, we know only through such indirect evidence. For example, we know that there was once an American president called Abraham Lincoln. We know this not because we ever met Lincoln,
Let me stop you there you flipping idiot. There IS physical evidence for Lincoln. There IS physical evidence that he existed and there IS physical evidence that he was a real person. Its all demonstratable.

On the other hand, understand there is NO physical evidence for god, NO physical evidence that is a possibility and NO evidence that god is real.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
but because there is no other reasonable way to explain the existence of a universally accepted tradition that he lived.
There is a reasonable way, its through multiple correlating sources of evidence from different sources.

That is why Lincoln is taught as historical fact and not fiction or myth.

Why be dishonest? Why not just admit that Lincoln is a historical figure based on facts, while god is not?

Why can't you just admit that physical evidence exists for historical figures like Lincoln, while NO evidence exists for god or jesus for that matter?

If you make the distinction, it makes it so simple to understand the difference?

One has evidence for it and the other is a complete, fabricated lie with NO evidence for it and NO correlating evidence & evidence AGAINST it being possible.

Location hidden

#15041 Nov 18, 2013
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether direct or indirect evidence of God actually exists is a separate issue.
Its not a separate issue, its the same one - there's no evidence of god indirect or direct. That's the whole point about atheism - we reject he lies you tell based on the well known fact that you have NO evidence of god and never have.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
The point here is that it is possible for such evidence to exist, and therefore we cannot a priori know that someone is irrational just because he claims to know that there is a God.
There's no evidence for god existing, there's evidence that shows god is impossible (from theists OWN conflicting claims about god!!)
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also possible the be rational and be uncertain if God exists, just as it is possible to be rational and be uncertain if any particular person, force, or object exists.
the uncertainty comes from 1. not being familiar with the evidence against god 2. the fact that there;s no evidence for god being real.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
Until one has either direct or indirect evidence, it is reasonable to remain unsure.
Nope, lying theists must prove that god they claim is possible for it to be considered an uncertainty. As time passes and not a single theist has proven the god that they lie about, we must stop waiting and start demanding proof from liars who lie to society so fraudulently .
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
In contrast, it is impossible to be rational and know with certainty that God does not exist,
Wrong, Atheism is a disbelief in religious lies. Its based on evidence and not on myths like faith based mental illnesses.

When you can prove your god is (1) possible (2) real, your calculated religious lies will be upgraded to fact and not before.
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
just as it is impossible to be rational and know that any person, object, or force does not exist. Knowing with certainty that something does not exist requires first being aware of all things that do exist. This would mean simultaneously examining every cubic centimetre of the universe for the objects or forces in question. Because we cannot monitor every corner of the universe, we cannot reasonably declare the non-existence of anything -- including God.
Just because we don’t know everything, does not mean that we don’t know something. These are all tired creationists arguments from ignorance.

At the end of the day, liars with no proof of god will try anything to keep their lies going.

Even when scientists have sent people to the moon and back, theists will still be shouting and screaming calling scientists “dumb” and other words.

When the lying theists cannot even muster up enough courage to disprove evolution, what hope do they really have in life?
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
Any student of history knows how many men have made fools of themselves proclaiming the non-existence of things: of a continent west of Europe; of a particle smaller than the atom; of a natural force besides gravity and magnetism. Atheism -- the state of knowing that God does not exist -- is inherently irrational.
The biggest fools in the world are telling us that god is real, when all evidence shows the opposite.

The burden of proof is upon religious liars to prove their gods and not for atheists to disproving stupidity shared by lying theists.

Location hidden

#15042 Nov 18, 2013
Barry wrote:
Why, then, do some very rational people claim to be atheists?
Because religious people are liars with no proof of god.
Barry wrote:
Most of them do not understand the difference between atheism and agnosticism. These people are really just healthy skeptics; lacking any evidence of God's existence, they are unwilling to call themselves believers. Once introduced to the category of agnosticism, though, these people happily re-label their attitude.
No evidence for this claim - another creationist propaganda trick.
Barry wrote:
Other professed atheists understand the distinction between atheism and agnosticism but do not fully appreciate the former's inherent illogic. Most of these people were raised in non-religious homes. Since religion was a non-issue for their parents, it became a non-issue for them, and their atheism was affirmed more out of inertia than conviction. These people slip comfortably into the agnostics' camp when seriously questioned.
More evidenceless creationist opinion from a liar with no proof of god.
Barry wrote:
A smaller group of atheists affirm their atheism as a rebellion against their religious parents or school. Since most of these people rebel for emotional reasons (not intellectual ones), they are not deterred by any demonstration that their position is irrational. Their desire to condemn religion or religious people closes their minds.
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religious lies. Try as you may, you cannot change its definition.
Barry wrote:
The smallest group of declared atheists are highly sensitive and intelligent people. Most have never encountered arguments for God's existence, but they are woefully familiar with the single most powerful argument against it: bad things happen to good people. Most of these people have experienced real suffering, either firsthand or through a friend or relative. For them, personal tragedy speaks only too eloquently of God's non-existence. Still, when faced with atheism's inherent irrationality, even these people retreat to highly skeptical agnosticism.
Atheist disbelief in god, largely because its followers are inept and ignorant. If followers of faith based mental illnesses could prove their gods, god would be adopted into science and cults like creationism would not need to lie and use propaganda in an atheism forum in sheer desperation.
Barry wrote:
Therefore, of the three possible attitudes one can take towards God -- belief, agnosticism, and atheism -- only the first two are rationally defensible. The third is a viable option only for someone who either does not know or does not care what atheism is.
Atheism is fully defensible with evidence. Religious liars with no evidence for god, will try to redefine atheism on their own terms, to hide this fact.

At the end of the day desperate creationists will try anything to save the face of their weak, cowardly dying cult of societal fraud.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#15043 Nov 18, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Just FYI, I do not have "atheism". I cannot have "atheism", no one can. It is not an "ism", it the specific lack of an "ism".
Let's see you just got here(again), you are unregistered, and >>> you <<< have decided that any more of my postings from now on, will be predicated on my belief that you are wrong? "So, if I believe you are wrong, I will not post responses to you?" Is that what you are saying?
Well, if I truly thought that you are doing my thinking for me, I just might fall for that shit, but since your thinking is not even in the same stratosphere as mine is ... uhm, no.
What a flicking self important ass you are, do you really think so highly of yourself?
How about we do it this way, if you really have confidence in your god, and your belief system, how about you start following your god's word, to the letter? All of it, not just the selected bits and pieces that your own spell casters have cherry picked to get you bending to their agenda?
It has nothing to do with me, or my reaction to you or your posts, so ...... practice what you preach, practice what you preach, religitard.
Now that we have that out of the way, how about you prove a hell exists?
Hell is a black hole and they do exist. It is not the Christian conception of hell. You don't burn, you rot. It's also not physical torture, but it is mental terror. All sin is conceived of in the mind before being acted upon. Hell is solitary confinement, darkness, and freezing cold. There are three entrances to heaven and hell on earth: the Bermuda triangle, the Devils triangle, and the third is off the coast of Norway in the north atlantic. Each serves two continents. It's also not forever, eventually your spirit will be snuffed out (drowned) and you will cease to exist.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#15044 Nov 18, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Hell is a black hole and they do exist. It is not the Christian conception of hell. You don't burn, you rot. It's also not physical torture, but it is mental terror. All sin is conceived of in the mind before being acted upon. Hell is solitary confinement, darkness, and freezing cold. There are three entrances to heaven and hell on earth: the Bermuda triangle, the Devils triangle, and the third is off the coast of Norway in the north atlantic. Each serves two continents. It's also not forever, eventually your spirit will be snuffed out (drowned) and you will cease to exist.
Bullshit, pure bullshit. Just exactly like the other 30,000+ spin-off religions of the Abrahamic god-myth.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#15045 Nov 18, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshit, pure bullshit. Just exactly like the other 30,000+ spin-off religions of the Abrahamic god-myth.
I am neither Christian, nor Jewish. I preach the Truth and there is some truth in all religions. I practice an eclectic mix. My God though, is the God of Abraham, the living God of Israel. She is on earth now, and the first day of the Lord, VWD Day could come at any time now. It stands for Vengeance, Wrath, and Destruction. The enemies of God will be set on fire supernaturally.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Tecumseh, Canada

#15048 Nov 18, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I am neither Christian, nor Jewish. I preach the Truth and there is some truth in all religions. I practice an eclectic mix. My God though, is the God of Abraham, the living God of Israel. She is on earth now, and the first day of the Lord, VWD Day could come at any time now. It stands for Vengeance, Wrath, and Destruction. The enemies of God will be set on fire supernaturally.
blange youre NUTz,theres nothing supernatural
grow a brain!
bbb

Sydney, Australia

#15049 Nov 18, 2013
Atheists are animals.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#15050 Nov 18, 2013
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two ways one can be rational and believe with certainty in God. First, it is possible (at least in theory) that God might introduce Himself tou you. Although we have a right to view any such claim with extreme skepticism, we must also admit that someone could come to possess absolute certainty about God's existence through such an event.
Blah, blah
Atheism -- the state of knowing that God does not exist -- is inherently irrational.
First, you try to present subjective evidence as objective.

Second, you try to present a proven fact (objective) as a subjective experience.

Lastly, you (a theist) try to tell me (an atheist) what my perspective is even though you have no idea yourself.

I lack belief in a god, I can point to thousands of years of absolutely no proof as evidence for my point of view. Still, it is my view, not yours. Please don't tell me what you think I think, it is ludicrous.

I am 99.99% sure that there is no god. Just roll his old bones down here to satisfy my intellectual curiosity and I will be the first to acknowledge my mistake.

BTW, I'm 99.99% sure that the sun will rise tomorrow. Not on "faith" or "belief" but on the objective facts I have seen every day of my life so far. Got it?

Probably not;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#15051 Nov 18, 2013
bbb wrote:
Atheists are animals.
Yes, mammals to be specific. We have backbones, we bear live young and are capable of nursing our young and all the other criteria for being mammals.

Thank you for stating the obvious, no argument here;0)

Location hidden

#15052 Nov 19, 2013
bbb wrote:
Atheists are animals.
No arguments there.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#15053 Nov 19, 2013
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two ways one can be rational and believe with certainty in God ...
Wow! Barry ... that's, ah ... quite a dissertation. Unfortunately, it sounds a lot like the "canned certainty is irrational" one I asked to be spared. You did manage to mutate that premise into "atheism is irrational" based upon what I can only call 'convoluted logic'.

God has, I'm sure, "introduced" himself to many people, along with Satan, pink elephants and our old friend ...'bugs crawling on my skin!'. They're called 'delusions' and interesting insights into the Human mind but offer nothing in regards to the 'true nature of the Universe' question. What you end up with is a collection of anecdotes from people whose mental state is impossible to judge, although, when tales of 'walk'n and talk'n to Jesus' arise, it's usually best to start checking the ground for loose screws.

Bottom line, the only 'rational' conclusion ... Theism, which has no evidence is irrational, A-theism, which has Theism's lack of evidence as evidence, is the clear winner. A billion monkeys, bang'n on a billion keyboards ain't going to change that fact. The Theologian makes a case with words and references to unreliable ancient texts while the Creationist attempts to twist the contrary evidence science provides into their silly little world-view. Sad creatures. Modern day Snake Oil salesmen, pitching the 'cure all Elixir of Life' to a receptive audience that hasn't changed significantly in thousands of years.

Time to grow up people! We're choking ourselves to death on the "go forth and multiply" command and it's NEVER going to get rescinded. If you need a Bible 2.0 with instructions relevant to our modern world, go to your local library's Science section. Look at it this way ... if your God hadn't wanted us to figure this stuff out ... he wouldn't have made us so dang smart! Your God is on Gliese 581g resting his feet!! Those sandals get really uncomfortable after a few millenia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min Chimney1 18,450
News Confessions of a black atheist 1 hr thetruth 310
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr thetruth 7,398
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 2 hr thetruth 16
News The Consequences of Atheism 2 hr thetruth 1,257
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr thetruth 237,691
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 2 hr thetruth 147
More from around the web