Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14655 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14681 Sep 18, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
You claimed in this post that Marxist-Leninist communism was not about atheism:
<quoted text>
You were obviously wrong and either you're just talking out of your ass or you're deliberately lying.
Ironically, Marx and Lenin ripped off Jesus teachings on communal living which made it so much easier for these "wolves in sheep clothing" to sell it to the masses they intended to exploit. By the time the masses woke up to what communism really was, i.e. that all that crap about equality meant they were supposed to hand over all their personal property and slave for benefit of a bunch of lying, thieving, murdering atheists who were "more equal" than the masses, 80 million people were slaughtered in Russia alone--180 to 240 million murdered worldwide.
I provided a readily accessible dictionary entry 'defining' Communism. I thought it interesting that Atheism was not mentioned. You 'bots always act like Commies were Avenging Atheists on steroids or something. Now, I take offense at "for benefit of a bunch of lying, thieving, murdering atheists". I just spent a whopping 10 minutes researching Soviet/Communist Purges (primarily booting people out of the Party, sometimes 'under arrest'), Pogroms (aimed at the Jews, whom you hate) and Ethnic Cleansings (they got something against the Georgians).

This interesting article in Wiki " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_killings_un... ; appears to be the source of some of y'alls death tallies but the reasons these people were killed varies wildly. In any case, grouping modern Rational Skeptics ... Atheists ... in with your Communist and Satanist buddies is absurd. Some of the articles I glanced at made Marxism and some of the other flavors of Communist doctrine sound like they were semi-religious in terms of the fervor involved ... far more akin to your 'bot mindsets if you ask me.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14682 Sep 18, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I provided a readily accessible dictionary entry 'defining' Communism. I thought it interesting that Atheism was not mentioned. You 'bots always act like Commies were Avenging Atheists on steroids or something. Now, I take offense at "for benefit of a bunch of lying, thieving, murdering atheists". I just spent a whopping 10 minutes researching Soviet/Communist Purges (primarily booting people out of the Party, sometimes 'under arrest'), Pogroms (aimed at the Jews, whom you hate) and Ethnic Cleansings (they got something against the Georgians).
This interesting article in Wiki " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_killings_un... ; appears to be the source of some of y'alls death tallies but the reasons these people were killed varies wildly. In any case, grouping modern Rational Skeptics ... Atheists ... in with your Communist and Satanist buddies is absurd. Some of the articles I glanced at made Marxism and some of the other flavors of Communist doctrine sound like they were semi-religious in terms of the fervor involved ... far more akin to your 'bot mindsets if you ask me.
What you did is obvious. You cherry picked dictionary definitions to support your false allegation that Marxist-Leninist communism had nothing to do with atheism and ignored encyclopedia definitions.

History says the Russian communist party bosses--40% of whom were Jewish atheists--were a bunch of lying, thieving, murdering assholes who grew fat and rich exploiting the masses and murdering anyone who opposed or resisted them. The Russian Jewish atheists ran the secret police, invented the gulag system and were directly responsible for the genocide of 10 million Ukranians in the 1930's.

Members of the Church of Satan seem to be honest and straightforward about their beliefs and just want to be left alone. I can't say the same for posters like yourself who self-identify as the "new atheists". You seem to be more of an intolerant, bigoted " I-theist " than an atheist.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14683 Sep 18, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
What you did is obvious. You cherry picked dictionary definitions to support your false allegation that Marxist-Leninist communism had nothing to do with atheism and ignored encyclopedia definitions.
History says the Russian communist party bosses--40% of whom were Jewish atheists--were a bunch of lying, thieving, murdering assholes who grew fat and rich exploiting the masses and murdering anyone who opposed or resisted them. The Russian Jewish atheists ran the secret police, invented the gulag system and were directly responsible for the genocide of 10 million Ukranians in the 1930's.
Members of the Church of Satan seem to be honest and straightforward about their beliefs and just want to be left alone. I can't say the same for posters like yourself who self-identify as the "new atheists". You seem to be more of an intolerant, bigoted " I-theist " than an atheist.
I don't know about the browsers in your ward, but you type a word in the search bar and a variety of online dictionaries pop up. They all agree ... Atheism IS NOT a part of the definition of Communism as you and your buddies would like us all to believe. Whatever. I'm no Commie sympathizer. With the fall of the Communist Party, I guess they're all bible-thumping godbots now ... don't know, don't care.

"Russian Jewish atheists" ... must be cool to have everybody you hate rolled up into one!! You're quite a piece of work there Zit!!

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14684 Sep 18, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Russian Jewish atheists" ... must be cool to have everybody you hate rolled up into one!! You're quite a piece of work there Zit!!
Stalin's Jews

We mustn't forget that some of greatest murderers of modern times were Jewish

Here's a particularly forlorn historical date: Almost 90 years ago, between the 19th and 20th of December 1917, in the midst of the Bolshevik revolution and civil war, Lenin signed a decree calling for the establishment of The All-Russian Extraordinary Commission for Combating Counter-Revolution and Sabotage, also known as Cheka.
 
Within a short period of time, Cheka became the largest and cruelest state security organization. Its organizational structure was changed every few years, as were its names: From Cheka to GPU, later to NKVD, and later to KGB.
 
We cannot know with certainty the number of deaths Cheka was responsible for in its various manifestations, but the number is surely at least 20 million, including victims of the forced collectivization, the hunger, large purges, expulsions, banishments, executions, and mass death at Gulags.
 
Whole population strata were eliminated: Independent farmers, ethnic minorities, members of the bourgeoisie, senior officers, intellectuals, artists, labor movement activists, "opposition members" who were defined completely randomly, and countless members of the Communist party itself.
 
In his new, highly praised book "The War of the World, "Historian Niall Ferguson writes that no revolution in the history of mankind devoured its children with the same unrestrained appetite as did the Soviet revolution. In his book on the Stalinist purges, Tel Aviv University's Dr. Igal Halfin writes that Stalinist violence was unique in that it was directed internally.
 
Lenin, Stalin, and their successors could not have carried out their deeds without wide-scale cooperation of disciplined "terror officials," cruel interrogators, snitches, executioners, guards, judges, perverts, and many bleeding hearts who were members of the progressive Western Left and were deceived by the Soviet regime of horror and even provided it with a kosher certificate.

An Israeli student finishes high school without ever hearing the name "Genrikh Yagoda," the greatest Jewish murderer of the 20th Century, the GPU's deputy commander and the founder and commander of the NKVD. Yagoda diligently implemented Stalin's collectivization orders and is responsible for the deaths of at least 10 million people. His Jewish deputies established and managed the Gulag system. After Stalin no longer viewed him favorably, Yagoda was demoted and executed, and was replaced as chief hangman in 1936 by Yezhov, the "bloodthirsty dwarf."
 
Stalin's close associates and loyalists included member of the Central Committee and Politburo Lazar Kaganovich. Montefiore characterizes him as the "first Stalinist" and adds that those starving to death in Ukraine, an unparalleled tragedy in the history of human kind aside from the Nazi horrors and Mao's terror in China, did not move Kaganovich.
 
Many Jews sold their soul to the devil of the Communist revolution and have blood on their hands for eternity. We'll mention just one more: Leonid Reichman, head of the NKVD's special department and the organization's chief interrogator, who was a particularly cruel sadist.

In a fascinating lecture at a Tel Aviv University convention this week, Dr. Halfin described the waves of soviet terror as a "carnival of mass murder," "fantasy of purges", and "essianism of evil." Turns out that Jews too, when they become captivated by messianic ideology, can become great murderers, among the greatest known by modern history.

Even if we deny it, we cannot escape the Jewishness of "our hangmen," who served the Red Terror with loyalty and dedication from its establishment. After all, others will always remind us of their origin.
 
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-334...
Thinking

UK

#14685 Sep 18, 2013
To be a cu*t like you does not require belief in a sky pixie.

Far better to use reason.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
What you did is obvious. You cherry picked dictionary definitions to support your false allegation that Marxist-Leninist communism had nothing to do with atheism and ignored encyclopedia definitions.
History says the Russian communist party bosses--40% of whom were Jewish atheists--were a bunch of lying, thieving, murdering assholes who grew fat and rich exploiting the masses and murdering anyone who opposed or resisted them. The Russian Jewish atheists ran the secret police, invented the gulag system and were directly responsible for the genocide of 10 million Ukranians in the 1930's.
Members of the Church of Satan seem to be honest and straightforward about their beliefs and just want to be left alone. I can't say the same for posters like yourself who self-identify as the "new atheists". You seem to be more of an intolerant, bigoted " I-theist " than an atheist.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14686 Sep 18, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin's Jews
We mustn't forget that some of greatest murderers of modern times were Jewish
Here's a particularly forlorn historical date: Almost 90 years ago, between the 19th and 20th of December 1917, in the midst of the Bolshevik revolution and civil war, Lenin signed a decree calling for the establishment of The All-Russian Extraordinary Commission for Combating Counter-Revolution and Sabotage, also known as Cheka.
 
Within a short period of time, Cheka became the largest and cruelest state security organization. Its organizational structure was changed every few years, as were its names: From Cheka to GPU, later to NKVD, and later to KGB.
 
We cannot know with certainty the number of deaths Cheka was responsible for in its various manifestations, but the number is surely at least 20 million, including victims of the forced collectivization, the hunger, large purges, expulsions, banishments, executions, and mass death at Gulags.
 
Whole population strata were eliminated: Independent farmers, ethnic minorities, members of the bourgeoisie, senior officers, intellectuals, artists, labor movement activists, "opposition members" who were defined completely randomly, and countless members of the Communist party itself.
 
In his new, highly praised book "The War of the World, "Historian Niall Ferguson writes that no revolution in the history of mankind devoured its children with the same unrestrained appetite as did the Soviet revolution. In his book on the Stalinist purges, Tel Aviv University's Dr. Igal Halfin writes that Stalinist violence was unique in that it was directed internally.
 
Lenin, Stalin, and their successors could not have carried out their deeds without wide-scale cooperation of disciplined "terror officials," cruel interrogators, snitches, executioners, guards, judges, perverts, and many bleeding hearts who were members of the progressive Western Left and were deceived by the Soviet regime of horror and even provided it with a kosher certificate.
An Israeli student finishes high school without ever hearing the name "Genrikh Yagoda," the greatest Jewish murderer of the 20th Century, the GPU's deputy commander and the founder and commander of the NKVD. Yagoda diligently implemented Stalin's collectivization orders and is responsible for the deaths of at least 10 million people. His Jewish deputies established and managed the Gulag system. After Stalin no longer viewed him favorably, Yagoda was demoted and executed, and was replaced as chief hangman in 1936 by Yezhov, the "bloodthirsty dwarf."
 
Stalin's close associates and loyalists included member of the Central Committee and Politburo Lazar Kaganovich. Montefiore characterizes him as the "first Stalinist" and adds that those starving to death in Ukraine, an unparalleled tragedy in the history of human kind aside from the Nazi horrors and Mao's terror in China, did not move Kaganovich.
 
Many Jews sold their soul to the devil of the Communist revolution and have blood on their hands for eternity. We'll mention just one more: Leonid Reichman, head of the NKVD's special department and the organization's chief interrogator, who was a particularly cruel sadist.
In a fascinating lecture at a Tel Aviv University convention this week, Dr. Halfin described the waves of soviet terror as a "carnival of mass murder," "fantasy of purges", and "essianism of evil." Turns out that Jews too, when they become captivated by messianic ideology, can become great murderers, among the greatest known by modern history.
Even if we deny it, we cannot escape the Jewishness of "our hangmen," who served the Red Terror with loyalty and dedication from its establishment. After all, others will always remind us of their origin.
 
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-334...
Hey ... I've seen "Doctor Zhivago" ... I'm practically a SCHOLAR of the Russian Revolution. Big fan! <yawn>
Thinking

UK

#14687 Sep 18, 2013
The frozen room was actually rather warm as they filmed it in Spain. The ice was candle wax.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ... I've seen "Doctor Zhivago" ... I'm practically a SCHOLAR of the Russian Revolution. Big fan! <yawn>

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14688 Sep 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The frozen room was actually rather warm as they filmed it in Spain. The ice was candle wax.
<quoted text>
That sux. I really liked the part where Alex Guinness gave The Girl that ukelele thing.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14689 Sep 18, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ... I've seen "Doctor Zhivago" ... I'm practically a SCHOLAR of the Russian Revolution. Big fan! <yawn>
No comment on the Israeli Jew who wrote the Ynet article on Stalin's lying, thierving, murdering
Jews?

You ignorant atheist bubbas are such a hoot......

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14690 Sep 18, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
No comment on the Israeli Jew who wrote the Ynet article on Stalin's lying, thierving, murdering
Jews?
You ignorant atheist bubbas are such a hoot......
Not sure the point. Dredging up grist for your hate mills? There seems to be an industry built around it.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#14691 Sep 18, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's important, in these troubled, uncertain times, to limber up the old DICTIONARY whenever matters arise of uncertain provenance. Let's look at this <courtesy of "Free Online Dictionary">:
"com·mu·nism (kmy-nzm)
n.
1. A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.
2. Communism
a. A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single, often authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people.
b. The Marxist-Leninist version of Communist doctrine that advocates the overthrow of capitalism by the revolution of the proletariat."
Tell me MUQ ... did you SEE the word 'atheist' in there? Please point it out 'cause I can't see it. YET ... you say 'strict Atheism' is half of what Communism is. The folks at "Free Online Dictionary" must have missed it as well. Maybe they're not trying to promulgate an empty philosophy by way of false association! Yeah, maybe that's it. You see MUQ ... there's the "REAL" and there's the world as godbots see it. It's not the same, MUQ. Y'all really need to work on that.
It is only fools who try to understand any system by going thru a dictionary!!

What is the meaning of democracy according to dictionary? Is it practiced any where in the world?

That it would consist of 'Two Jokers" , each of them controlled and financed by 'Super Rich people"....trying to outdo each other in making false promises to common people..

And each trying to "out do" each other in getting support of powerful lobbies, most important of that being Jewish and Zionist lobby....

Is that what you will call a democracy?

Communism was what we saw in USSR, and other communist nations during the height of that movement.

They did not go to any dictionary.

Atheism was one of the building block of Communism...and you will not find it in any dictionary!!
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#14692 Sep 18, 2013
R Hill wrote:
01. You sure are 'big' on Human Nature. Would you say Human Nature is positive or negative? Kind of a grey area, wouldn't you say. We are capable of everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. From the petty to the magnificent, from the Milk of Human Kindness to tear-your-face-off ugly.

02. Just about what you would expect from a Naked Ape that evolved 'intelligence' and doesn't quite know what to do with it.

03. One of the things we did with it was INVENT. Invented things like Communism and religion, anesthesia and atom bombs. Positive or Negative? You tell me. We learned how to give and how to take away.

04. I personally think Communism is a fairly effective way to feed billions of people on limited resources. Same way I'm starting to think Islamic Dictatorship is a fairly effective way to keep primitive nomadic tribes from murdering each other. A variation, of sorts, on how Christianity helps make intelligent, naked apes into harmless consumers who are too busy to think about it much.

05. Humanity needs Atheists. We're here to remind everybody that it's all bull crap. We are freedom.
Ans.

01. I am not "Big" on human nature, I just have a "Touch stone" with me. Any thing that goes against that "Touch stone" is against human nature and any thing that is in agreement with it is according to human nature.

02. I would "expect" from a "Naked Ape" that developed intelligence, to deny that intelligence and go back to that "Naked Ape" status.

And that is what our Atheist, Modern materialistic people are doing with their Free Sex, No Marriage and Homo equality etc.

They want to "prove" that they are fit for Jungle and that "Naked Ape" status.

03. True religion was not "invented", it was ingrained in our mind when we got that "Intelligence"

04. Yes Communism was a "Great way" to feed billions of poor on earth, but the "only" problem was that they "did not have the grain"!!

That is what happens with "Home grown philosophies"….they look very good on paper and they solve all problems on paper.

But when you try them out, they are like squid bombs!!

05. I agree , humanity needs atheists, like we have specimen in Zoos, to show people that "these people are closest in mind to that Naked Ape "Before" he developed Intelligence"!!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14693 Sep 18, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It is only fools who try to understand any system by going thru a dictionary!!
What is the meaning of democracy according to dictionary? Is it practiced any where in the world?
That it would consist of 'Two Jokers" , each of them controlled and financed by 'Super Rich people"....trying to outdo each other in making false promises to common people..
And each trying to "out do" each other in getting support of powerful lobbies, most important of that being Jewish and Zionist lobby....
Is that what you will call a democracy?
Communism was what we saw in USSR, and other communist nations during the height of that movement.
They did not go to any dictionary.
Atheism was one of the building block of Communism...and you will not find it in any dictionary!!
Okay. How about this:

"The main religions of pre-revolutionary Russia persisted throughout the entire Soviet period, but they were only tolerated within certain limits. Generally, this meant that believers were free to worship in private and in their respective religious buildings (churches, mosques, etc.), but public displays of religion outside of such designated areas were prohibited."
<from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_... ;

Sorry, but that doesn't sound that monstrous to me. Fact remains that Atheism is NOT A DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF BEING COMMUNIST.

China, for instance, is undeniably a Communist country. Yet ...

"Religion in China has been characterized by pluralism since the beginning of Chinese history."

or

"Freedom of religion in China is provided for by the country's constitution,[1] with an important caveat. Namely, the government protects what it calls "normal religious activity," defined in practice as activities that take place within government-sanctioned religious organizations and registered places of worship."
<both of these are from Wiki ... look 'em up if you don't believe me>

You 'bots associate Communism with Atheism because it suits you. Same as associating us with Satanists. I understand ... you are using the techniques you have learned from your handlers and manipulative government agencies. You can't help it. You are godbots, doing what godbots do best!!

I mean, religion was frowned upon. Hell ... I frown upon it as well. In fact, sane people all over the frig'n planet frowns upon religion.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14694 Sep 18, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. I am not "Big" on human nature, I just have a "Touch stone" with me. Any thing that goes against that "Touch stone" is against human nature and any thing that is in agreement with it is according to human nature.
02. I would "expect" from a "Naked Ape" that developed intelligence, to deny that intelligence and go back to that "Naked Ape" status.
And that is what our Atheist, Modern materialistic people are doing with their Free Sex, No Marriage and Homo equality etc.
They want to "prove" that they are fit for Jungle and that "Naked Ape" status.
03. True religion was not "invented", it was ingrained in our mind when we got that "Intelligence"
04. Yes Communism was a "Great way" to feed billions of poor on earth, but the "only" problem was that they "did not have the grain"!!
That is what happens with "Home grown philosophies"….they look very good on paper and they solve all problems on paper.
But when you try them out, they are like squid bombs!!
05. I agree , humanity needs atheists, like we have specimen in Zoos, to show people that "these people are closest in mind to that Naked Ape "Before" he developed Intelligence"!!
01 Human Nature as defined by MUQ's "touch stone". That's great.

02 You a "Naked Ape" MUQ although not a particularly intelligent one. You also sound like a 1960's Public Service Announcement (PSA), placing you just about 50 years behind the times. Try to catch up!

03 So True Religion is kind of an 'instinct'? Hmmmm ... didn't make this list.

" http://listverse.com/2012/01/28/top-10-human-... ;

04 I thought the only problem was that they were all Atheists. I wish you people could make up your minds.

05 No. You need us so that if aliens come to Earth looking for Intelligent life they can actually find some.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#14695 Sep 19, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
01 Human Nature as defined by MUQ's "touch stone". That's great.
02 You a "Naked Ape" MUQ although not a particularly intelligent one. You also sound like a 1960's Public Service Announcement (PSA), placing you just about 50 years behind the times. Try to catch up!
03 So True Religion is kind of an 'instinct'? Hmmmm ... didn't make this list.
" http://listverse.com/2012/01/28/top-10-human-... ;
04 I thought the only problem was that they were all Atheists. I wish you people could make up your minds.
05 No. You need us so that if aliens come to Earth looking for Intelligent life they can actually find some.
I think we have said enough about each other.

This is the "most civil way" of abusing each other and say what we can say, while still using "parliamentary language".

Let us move on, should we not?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14696 Sep 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we have said enough about each other.
This is the "most civil way" of abusing each other and say what we can say, while still using "parliamentary language".
Let us move on, should we not?
Calling someone a "fool" for using a Dictionary? "Cherry picking" Dictionary entries? LOL. You and your buddy Zit have serious issues.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14697 Sep 19, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure the point. Dredging up grist for your hate mills? There seems to be an industry built around it.
The point is your absurd denial that atheism had anything to do with the Marxist-Leninist communist revolutions which murdered over 80 million people in Russia and between 180 and 240 million people world wide.

The point is your absurd denial that Russian Jewish atheists executed the Czar, his wife & children, millions of Russian Christians and Muslims, and millions of Ukranian Christians--even when it is Jewish historians who verify these facts.

The point is whenever you are confronted with facts and your false allegations are proven wrong you retreat from reality to your little fantasy world of subjective mental constructs.

It's clear you're only interested in grist for your own " I-theist " hate mill against Christians and Muslims.....

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14698 Sep 19, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. How about this:
"The main religions of pre-revolutionary Russia persisted throughout the entire Soviet period, but they were only tolerated within certain limits. Generally, this meant that believers were free to worship in private and in their respective religious buildings (churches, mosques, etc.), but public displays of religion outside of such designated areas were prohibited."
<from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_... ;
Sorry, but that doesn't sound that monstrous to me. Fact remains that Atheism is NOT A DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF BEING COMMUNIST.
This is from YOUR link:

"The Soviet Union was the first state to have, as an ideological objective, the elimination of religion and its replacement with universal atheism. The communist regime confiscated religious property, ridiculed religion, harassed believers, and propagated atheism in schools. The confiscation of religious assets was often based on accusations of illegal accumulation of wealth.

The vast majority of people in the Russian empire were, at the time of the revolution, religious believers, whereas the communists aimed to break the power of all religious institutions and eventually replace religious belief with atheism. "Science" was counterposed to "religious superstition" in the media and in academic writing. The main religions of pre-revolutionary Russia persisted throughout the entire Soviet period, but they were only tolerated within certain limits. Generally, this meant that believers were free to worship in private and in their respective religious buildings (churches, mosques, etc.), but public displays of religion outside of such designated areas were prohibited. In addition, religious institutions were not allowed to express their views in any type of mass media, and many religious buildings were demolished or used for other purposes.

State atheism in the Soviet Union was known as gosateizm, and was based on the ideology of Marxism–Leninism. As the founder of the Soviet state, V. I. Lenin, put it:

"Religion is the opium of the people: this saying of Marx is the cornerstone of the entire ideology of Marxism about religion. All modern religions and churches, all and of every kind of religious organizations are always considered by Marxism as the organs of bourgeois reaction, used for the protection of the exploitation and the stupefaction of the working class."

Marxist–Leninist atheism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and elimination of religion. Within about a year of the revolution, the state expropriated all church property, including the churches themselves, and in the period from 1922 to 1926, 28 Russian Orthodox bishops and more than 1,200 priests were killed. Many more were persecuted."

Ya must have missed that part, huh?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14699 Sep 19, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is your absurd denial that atheism had anything to do with the Marxist-Leninist communist revolutions which murdered over 80 million people in Russia and between 180 and 240 million people world wide.
The point is your absurd denial that Russian Jewish atheists executed the Czar, his wife & children, millions of Russian Christians and Muslims, and millions of Ukranian Christians--even when it is Jewish historians who verify these facts.
The point is whenever you are confronted with facts and your false allegations are proven wrong you retreat from reality to your little fantasy world of subjective mental constructs.
It's clear you're only interested in grist for your own " I-theist " hate mill against Christians and Muslims.....
Everyone knows the commies 'were atheist' I'm merely trying demonstrate that it was/is not a defining characteristic.

I have never heard "Russian Jewish Atheist" used as descriptive of a portion of the Russian population or active in their Revolution. I thought the Czar's executioners were Bolsheviks, which this link, " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik" ; does not identify them as "Russian Jewish Atheists" either. I have good reason to suspect "Russian Jewish Atheist" is your own, personal, little hate sandwich.

I am Human, after all. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14700 Sep 19, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
This is from YOUR link:
"The Soviet Union was the first state to have, as an ideological objective, the elimination of religion and its replacement with universal atheism. The communist regime confiscated religious property, ridiculed religion, harassed believers, and propagated atheism in schools. The confiscation of religious assets was often based on accusations of illegal accumulation of wealth.
The vast majority of people in the Russian empire were, at the time of the revolution, religious believers, whereas the communists aimed to break the power of all religious institutions and eventually replace religious belief with atheism. "Science" was counterposed to "religious superstition" in the media and in academic writing. The main religions of pre-revolutionary Russia persisted throughout the entire Soviet period, but they were only tolerated within certain limits. Generally, this meant that believers were free to worship in private and in their respective religious buildings (churches, mosques, etc.), but public displays of religion outside of such designated areas were prohibited. In addition, religious institutions were not allowed to express their views in any type of mass media, and many religious buildings were demolished or used for other purposes.
State atheism in the Soviet Union was known as gosateizm, and was based on the ideology of Marxism–Leninism. As the founder of the Soviet state, V. I. Lenin, put it:
"Religion is the opium of the people: this saying of Marx is the cornerstone of the entire ideology of Marxism about religion. All modern religions and churches, all and of every kind of religious organizations are always considered by Marxism as the organs of bourgeois reaction, used for the protection of the exploitation and the stupefaction of the working class."
Marxist–Leninist atheism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and elimination of religion. Within about a year of the revolution, the state expropriated all church property, including the churches themselves, and in the period from 1922 to 1926, 28 Russian Orthodox bishops and more than 1,200 priests were killed. Many more were persecuted."
Ya must have missed that part, huh?
YOU are seriously a POT calling a KETTLE black. LOL. The same article goes on to talk about: the Russian Orthodox Church, the Georgian Orthodox Church, the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church, the Armenian Apostolic Church, the Roman Catholic Church, the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Protestants, other Christian groups and Islam and their density and distribution throughout the Soviet Union. Did you, uh, miss that part? Sounds like the Russkies had a little Religion Infestation of their own but actually grew the gonads to do something about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min Uncle Sam 243,411
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 36 min Chimney1 19,795
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr ChristineM 9,402
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 4 hr thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... 20 hr Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web