Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14735 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14517 Sep 11, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
As a matter of fact, I did.
If it's matter or a component of matter it has mass and is therefore influenced by gravity. Inverse squares can become very small ... but they remain non-zero. There are no gravity-free zones in our Universe. I think you need to review some of your basics 'fore you start using the hard stuff.
The last Human with a 'pure' heart was Joan d'Arc or maybe Sister Mary Elephant. "http://www.youtube.com/w atch?v=I6OdV85hJr4XX"

Uh, I did a little checking ... turns out I do use 'em ... all the time.

Look ... the Whitehead stuff ... somebody's pulling your leg. It's bogus. We're all living proof that sentience can 'evolve' or derive from non-living matter. It happened at least once and given the abundance of energy, time and the necessary chemicals, it's probably happened billions of times. Quantum Physics has nothing to do with it. QM was introduced to act as the "... baffle 'em with BS" part of that old saying. You're just soaking it up like a sponge. Poor devil. Hey! I got some 'beach front' property in Florida if you're interested!
Anyone can achieve a pure heart. All it takes is a willingness to let go of all anger, resentment, jealousy, cynicism, greed, etc--even if only for a moment....

Scientific paradigms come and go. Sounds like you’re still stuck in the old Newtonian paradigm on gravity. Quantum theory has worked on a gravity theory to reconcile QM with Relativity for over 80 years. Physicist Erik Verlinde says physicists have known for a long time that gravity doesn’t exist and has introduced a new paradigm on gravity which states gravity is not a basic force itself, but a sort of "cosmic frill," which emerges from some other deeper force, i.e. if it smells like entropy, and it behaves like entropy, it probably is entropy....

Re your critique of the “Whitehead stuff”....according to quantum physics, you, me and all matter in the universe is composed of non-solid, vibrating masses of entangled subatomic particles. The only difference between masses of particles is the frequency at which they vibrate. Your egocentric theory of what determines which mass of particles is sentient or non-sentient requires a discriminatory Evolution Fairy who uses her magic wand to either zap consciousness into or strip consciousness out of subatomic particles. Which is it?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14518 Sep 11, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone can achieve a pure heart. All it takes is a willingness to let go of all anger, resentment, jealousy, cynicism, greed, etc--even if only for a moment....
Scientific paradigms come and go. Sounds like you’re still stuck in the old Newtonian paradigm on gravity. Quantum theory has worked on a gravity theory to reconcile QM with Relativity for over 80 years. Physicist Erik Verlinde says physicists have known for a long time that gravity doesn’t exist and has introduced a new paradigm on gravity which states gravity is not a basic force itself, but a sort of "cosmic frill," which emerges from some other deeper force, i.e. if it smells like entropy, and it behaves like entropy, it probably is entropy....
Re your critique of the “Whitehead stuff”....according to quantum physics, you, me and all matter in the universe is composed of non-solid, vibrating masses of entangled subatomic particles. The only difference between masses of particles is the frequency at which they vibrate. Your egocentric theory of what determines which mass of particles is sentient or non-sentient requires a discriminatory Evolution Fairy who uses her magic wand to either zap consciousness into or strip consciousness out of subatomic particles. Which is it?
Our "consciousness" is a result of the interactions between billions of neurons embedded in a bio-electrochemical matrix. Neurons are themselves highly evolved and specialized cells that exhibit no trace of "consciousness" or "sentience" individually. There is no theoretical, much less actual, basis to construct a similar relationship between sub-atomic particles and some kind of "cosmic consciousness". It's absurd. It has no basis in reality.

Modern Science has demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that traditional religious imagery ... gods, demons, heaven, hell, etc. simply cannot exist in our Universe. Unfortunately, the same Science has provided abundant new and complex lexicons from which startling, believable, yet equally absurd new mythologies can be constructed. I'm sorry, but the more of the new jargon you use, the less I trust the conclusions. Not so much because the concepts and terminology are beyond my comprehension, but because it is so out of place and inappropriate when used in some neo-religious context.

I mean ... let's look at some of the terms you used:

Scientific paradigms
Newtonian paradigm
gravity
Quantum theory
gravity theory
reconcile QM with Relativity
"cosmic frill"
some other deeper force
entropy
quantum physics
entangled subatomic particles
frequency at which they vibrate
egocentric theory
particles is sentient or non-sentient
discriminatory Evolution Fairy
consciousness
subatomic particles

That's a lot of 'stuff' to embed in a paragraph or two. If we were both physicists working at Fermilab or something, maybe. How many people could read all that and walk away thinking they learned something? It's smoke, fog ... if your new god is hiding in all that, he's not any more of use than the old gods. What's the point.

"Look at the new boss, same as the old boss." <The Who>

Texas, USA

#14519 Sep 11, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
"... says physicists have known for a long time that gravity doesn’t exist ..."
I mean ... you've already done away with 'time' and now you want to toss out 'gravity' too? Two of the most ubiquitous, universal, unavoidable, obvious, measured, quantified, experienced REAL things in the known Universe?!?!? Your new religion (or new way of looking at old religions, or whatever) requires more faith, sacrifice and suspension of disbelief that the more traditional stuff. I don't think it's going to go over. I wouldn't quit my day job.

Texas, USA

#14520 Sep 11, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
...according to quantum physics, you, me and all matter in the universe is composed of non-solid, vibrating masses of entangled subatomic particles...
I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

"Entanglement occurs when a pair of particles, such as photons, interact physically. A laser beam fired through a certain type of crystal can cause individual photons to be split into pairs of entangled photons."

I'm pretty sure "all matter in the Universe" is not interacting physically or getting "fired through a certain type of crystal". In other words, Quantum Entanglement is a special state induced under particular conditions in a laboratory environment.

I personally think Quantum effects such as entanglement and superposition are giving us hints about multiple, unseen dimensions. These possibilities are not mystical and do not involve any kind of 'cosmos sized brain'. You are just trying to construct a Universe where 'Intelligent Design' from some kind of god-like super being can exist. I'm not buying it. The existence of such a creature would be unmistakeable. It couldn't hide itself if it tried. Good luck with that.

United States of America

#14521 Sep 11, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Our "consciousness" is a result of the interactions between billions of neurons embedded in a bio-electrochemical matrix. Neurons are themselves highly evolved and specialized cells that exhibit no trace of "consciousness" or "sentience" individually. There is no theoretical, much less actual, basis to construct a similar relationship between sub-atomic particles and some kind of "cosmic consciousness". It's absurd. It has no basis in reality.
Modern Science has demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that traditional religious imagery ... gods, demons, heaven, hell, etc. simply cannot exist in our Universe. Unfortunately, the same Science has provided abundant new and complex lexicons from which startling, believable, yet equally absurd new mythologies can be constructed. I'm sorry, but the more of the new jargon you use, the less I trust the conclusions. Not so much because the concepts and terminology are beyond my comprehension, but because it is so out of place and inappropriate when used in some neo-religious context.
I mean ... let's look at some of the terms you used:
Scientific paradigms
Newtonian paradigm
gravity
Quantum theory
gravity theory
reconcile QM with Relativity
"cosmic frill"
some other deeper force
entropy
quantum physics
entangled subatomic particles
frequency at which they vibrate
egocentric theory
particles is sentient or non-sentient
discriminatory Evolution Fairy
consciousness
subatomic particles
That's a lot of 'stuff' to embed in a paragraph or two. If we were both physicists working at Fermilab or something, maybe. How many people could read all that and walk away thinking they learned something? It's smoke, fog ... if your new god is hiding in all that, he's not any more of use than the old gods. What's the point.
"Look at the new boss, same as the old boss." <The Who>
LOL

"The most popular empirically based argument for panpsychism [everything is sentient] stems from Darwinism and is a form of the non-emergence argument. This argument begins with the assumption that evolution is a process that creates complex systems out of pre-existing properties but yet cannot make “entirely novel” properties. William Kingdon Clifford argued that:
“… we cannot suppose that so enormous a jump from one creature to another should have occurred at any point in the process of evolution as the introduction of a fact entirely different and absolutely separate from the physical fact. It is impossible for anybody to point out the particular place in the line of descent where that event can be supposed to have taken place. The only thing that we can come to, if we accept the doctrine of evolution at all, is that even in the very lowest organism, even in the Amoeba which swims about in our own blood, there is something or other, inconceivably simple to us, which is of the same nature with our own consciousness …”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kingdon_...

“Nothing comes from nothing (Latin: ex nihilo nihil fit) is a philosophical expression of a thesis first argued by Parmenides. It is associated with ancient Greek cosmology, such as is presented not just in the opus of Homer and Hesiod, but also in virtually every internal system – there is no break in between a world didn't exist, since it couldn't be created ex nihilo in the first place. Note that Greeks also believed that things cannot disappear into nothing, just as they can't be created from nothing, but if they ceased to exist, they transform into some other form of being. We can trace this idea to the teaching of Empedocles. Today the idea is loosely associated with the laws of conservation of mass and energy....”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_nihilo_nihil_...

Most atheist evolutionists believe in ex nihilo nihil fit (nothing comes from nothing). The rest of us? Not so much....

United States of America

#14522 Sep 11, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean ... you've already done away with 'time' and now you want to toss out 'gravity' too? Two of the most ubiquitous, universal, unavoidable, obvious, measured, quantified, experienced REAL things in the known Universe?!?!? Your new religion (or new way of looking at old religions, or whatever) requires more faith, sacrifice and suspension of disbelief that the more traditional stuff. I don't think it's going to go over. I wouldn't quit my day job.
Yup. First time, then gravity. Buckle up. Space is next....

United States of America

#14523 Sep 11, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but I don't think so.
"Entanglement occurs when a pair of particles, such as photons, interact physically. A laser beam fired through a certain type of crystal can cause individual photons to be split into pairs of entangled photons."
I'm pretty sure "all matter in the Universe" is not interacting physically or getting "fired through a certain type of crystal". In other words, Quantum Entanglement is a special state induced under particular conditions in a laboratory environment.
I personally think Quantum effects such as entanglement and superposition are giving us hints about multiple, unseen dimensions. These possibilities are not mystical and do not involve any kind of 'cosmos sized brain'. You are just trying to construct a Universe where 'Intelligent Design' from some kind of god-like super being can exist. I'm not buying it. The existence of such a creature would be unmistakeable. It couldn't hide itself if it tried. Good luck with that.
God isn't hiding.

I agree on the multiple, unseen dimensions thing but not that anybody needs to have "cosmos size brain". Human size brains are already designed to tap into the "Cosmic Consciousness" hard drive and feast on the banquet of knowledge.

Quantum entanglement research has very practical applications. Among other things, I believe it's going to help us cure cancer and other diseases.

"One of the most prospective directions of study of C.G. Jung’s synchronicity phenomenon is reviewed considering the latest achievements of modern science. The attention is focused mainly on the quantum entanglement and related phenomena...

"One of the most prospective directions of study of C.G. Jung’s synchronicity phenomenon
is reviewed considering the latest achievements of modern science. The attention is
focused mainly on the quantum entanglement and related phenomena – quantum
coherence and quantum superposition. It is shown that the quantum non-locality capable
of solving the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox represents one of the most adequate
physical mechanisms in terms of conformity with the Jung’s synchronicity hypothesis. An
attempt is made on psychophysiological substantiation of synchronicity within the context
of molecular biology. An original concept is proposed, stating that biological molecules
involved in cell division during mitosis and meiosis, particularly DNA may be considered
material carriers of consciousness. This assumption may be formulated on the basis of
phenomenology of Jung’s analytical psychology"

http://www.academia.edu/1248055/Carl_G._Jungs...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14526 Sep 11, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
You make ranting and belly aching look so easy.
You make being ignorant look so easy.

Location hidden

#14527 Sep 11, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
If you *know* I've got nothing, then I find you as stupid as shit to be waiting.
Just prove what you type - that's all creationist liars need to concentrate on doing for now.

Texas, USA

#14528 Sep 12, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. First time, then gravity. Buckle up. Space is next....
Gee. If science is wrong about things like Time, Gravity and even Space ... then ... then ... they could be wrong about ... EVERYTHING!!!

Wait a minute ... I'm ... I'm ... picking up something ... it's the atoms in that wall over there ... they're trying to COMMUNICATE!!!

United States of America

#14529 Sep 12, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee. If science is wrong about things like Time, Gravity and even Space ... then ... then ... they could be wrong about ... EVERYTHING!!!
These kinds of updates--Earth is not flat, land masses drift, time does not exist, etc--are part of every scientific revolution. Viva la revolucion....
RHill wrote:
<quoted text> Wait a minute ... I'm ... I'm ... picking up something ... it's the atoms in that wall over there ... they're trying to COMMUNICATE!!!
Eavesdropping? Rocks tell better jokes.....

Location hidden

#14530 Sep 12, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't hiding.
I agree on the multiple, unseen dimensions thing but not that anybody needs to have "cosmos size brain". Human size brains are already designed to tap into the "Cosmic Consciousness" hard drive and feast on the banquet of knowledge.
Quantum entanglement research has very practical applications. Among other things, I believe it's going to help us cure cancer and other diseases.
"One of the most prospective directions of study of C.G. Jung’s synchronicity phenomenon is reviewed considering the latest achievements of modern science. The attention is focused mainly on the quantum entanglement and related phenomena...
"One of the most prospective directions of study of C.G. Jung’s synchronicity phenomenon
is reviewed considering the latest achievements of modern science. The attention is
focused mainly on the quantum entanglement and related phenomena – quantum
coherence and quantum superposition. It is shown that the quantum non-locality capable
of solving the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox represents one of the most adequate
physical mechanisms in terms of conformity with the Jung’s synchronicity hypothesis. An
attempt is made on psychophysiological substantiation of synchronicity within the context
of molecular biology. An original concept is proposed, stating that biological molecules
involved in cell division during mitosis and meiosis, particularly DNA may be considered
material carriers of consciousness. This assumption may be formulated on the basis of
phenomenology of Jung’s analytical psychology"
http://www.academia.edu/1248055/Carl_G._Jungs...
Repetitive theist liars - all talk and no proof.

Location hidden

#14531 Sep 12, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
These kinds of updates--Earth is not flat, land masses drift, time does not exist, etc--are part of every scientific revolution. Viva la revolucion....
<quoted text>
Your cult is just a bunch of weak lies supported by wilfully stupid and dishonest people.

Texas, USA

#14532 Sep 12, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
There's one thing you forgot to mention. Science 'addicts' such as myself don't trust news about "scientific revolution" from godbots ... I go to places like:

" http://www.the-scientist.com/... ;

" http://www.sciencedaily.com/" ;

" http://geology.com/news/2013/simulating-the-b... ;

" http://www.scientificamerican.com/" ;

" http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php... ;

" http://www.ted.com/" ;

... where you can read articles that are not trying to baffle people into believing the impossible.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#14535 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>You need to be concentrating on how horrifying and painful Hell is going to be for you----and I don't have a burden to prove anything and this gripes your ass.
It is most certainly your burden to prove a god if you claim one exists or to at least admit that you cannot be 100% positive that you are correct. If you make claims that something exists then it becomes your responsibility if the question is asked. What gripes our ass is that you think you know it all, and you constantly run your mouth about it.

Location hidden

#14536 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>What are you going to do about it? Continue to worry that you are wrong?
There is nothing anyone can do about your bad decisions, and bad attitude...and if you paid more attention you would see that no one on here worries about being wrong lol...including yourself.

Location hidden

#14537 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>You make ranting and belly aching look so easy.
This makes no sense.

Location hidden

#14540 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to be concentrating on how horrifying and painful Hell is going to be for you----and I don't have a burden to prove anything and this gripes your ass.
Your imagination does not threaten me. You cannot scare me into believing in your mental illness.

This is the problem with the mental illness of creationism - it's sufferers are like brain dead zombies.

Location hidden

#14541 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you going to do about it? Continue to worry that you are wrong?
I'm going to keep reminding you over and over again that you in fact a simple minded liar with no proof of god.

We should ask why a creationist is in the atheism forum in the first place. if I was afraid I was wrong, I would be in the creationism forum.

Location hidden

#14542 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. The bible says I have no burden at all to prove God exists. I know this angers you but it really does say that. If you had read the Bible and understood it, you would know this.
You have no proof of your god and that is why you fail again and again in this forum.

When you become brave enough to prove your god, or admit at you are a liar, you will reach personal salvation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min Endofdays 87,541
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 hr Rose_NoHo 5,842
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 21 ChristineM 4,035
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web