Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14659 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14486 Sep 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
It's never happened. Those who seek enlightenment ALWAYS find enlightenment.
"Never", "ALWAYS" ... you're using some really big NO-NO words. I would not be so bold. Surely, most Humans seek 'enlightenment' at some time or another. I presume you define 'enlightenment' as grasping some kind of mystical mumbo-jumbo and awakening to the true meaning behind belly-button lint.

Texas, USA

#14487 Sep 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
"We have nothing to prove." ;-)
We notice the lack of proof in the atheist religion
We suffer the name 'religion' only in our hope to be equally protected under the law. We make no claims. You got to go back to Logic 101 ... we can't "prove" anything because we don't claim anything. We're just trying to help you 'bots learn the error of your ways.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#14488 Sep 9, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
We have nothing to prove. You, on the other hand, claim something HUGE, MAGNIFICENT, OMNIPOTENT, OMNIPRESENT, OMNISCIENT, WORTHY OF WORSHIP, AWE, REVERENCE ... and you can't produce. All you got are some ancient books, anecdotes and little voices whispering in your head. The "Atheist Philosophy" is proven every morning, when you wake up and the same old wicked world is still stumbling along. The only end in sight is our over-burdened world choking to death on the effluents from our 'go forth and multiply' population you godbots can't seem to control. Your god and your religion have "COLOSSAL FAIL" stamped in bright red letters on your foreheads but y'all keep scratching and biting at the very people trying to save you. Makes me sad.
We have all that plus a "little falsifying test"...

For you to CREATE something ... Create and not transform...

Do it and you win!!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14489 Sep 9, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Savage creationist clawing at anything...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14490 Sep 9, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do it and you win!!
After reading your posts, competitively ignorant people get depression.
Dak-Original

Harrow, UK

#14491 Sep 9, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Human Genome Project, 2003)...that it,
amusing
Amusing? The final nail on those questioning evolution of Species. >>Q.E.D.

Texas, USA

#14492 Sep 9, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do it and you win!!
How about the 20 or so chemical elements we have created that do not exist in Nature? How about works of art, architecture, music, poetry & prose that exist in no other time or place in the entire Universe?

But, here ... no reason to bother replying ... "Mere transformations", you will say. Oh well, I tried.

I'm still waiting for your god to manifest itself in some clear fashion. His billions of avid supporters here on Earth can't seem to get him to make an appearance. You must be going about it in the wrong way. Maybe he's waiting till you all quit believing in ghosts.

Texas, USA

#14493 Sep 9, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
I have just as much "proof" as you have.

I look around and everything I see is "proof" that Big Bangs happen, stars condense, elements form, life arises, it grows belly buttons, lint accumulates ... it all follows and seems quite prosaic.

You look around, see the same stuff and figure some deity must have shat it all out. You find the miraculous in every near miss, spontaneous remission or glorious sunset, while explaining away the bad things with "his mysterious ways". Lint is created as people's souls depart and it gathers under beds and in belly buttons 'cause that's the way the good Lord intended it!

Both 'world views' are capable of delivering us to the prize ... a painless death surrounded by our loved ones. Mine promises rest, in yours you get to keep on worshiping this creature who did this to us. No, thanks! You can have it.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14494 Sep 9, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
We have nothing to prove. You, on the other hand, claim something HUGE, MAGNIFICENT, OMNIPOTENT, OMNIPRESENT, OMNISCIENT, WORTHY OF WORSHIP, AWE, REVERENCE ... and you can't produce. All you got are some ancient books, anecdotes and little voices whispering in your head.
I said the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent spirit in every particle of everything in the universe is the ONE, aka Lord of Creation, Allah, God, the Supreme Being, Brahman, the Cosmic Consciousness, the Unconditioned Element, etc, etc, etc.....humans have given God hundreds of names over the milliniums. Now quantum physics has added a new name to the list--Higgs Field--the name for that which is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, invisible, and “magically” gives mass, i.e. LIFE, to all elementary particles--without which absolutely nothing would exist.

The words “HUGE, MAGNIFICENT.....WORTHY OF WORSHIP, AWE, REVERENCE” are your words, your straw man, not mine.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Atheist Philosophy" is proven every morning, when you wake up and the same old wicked world is still stumbling along. The only end in sight is our over-burdened world choking to death on the effluents from our 'go forth and multiply' population you godbots can't seem to control. Your god and your religion have "COLOSSAL FAIL" stamped in bright red letters on your foreheads but y'all keep scratching and biting at the very people trying to save you. Makes me sad.
I don’t wake up every morning to the world you described. That’s YOUR mental construct of YOUR own view of reality--not mine. I see the mess we humans have made of the world, and it is sad, but I also see in the ice core graphs that God has intervened to give us one last chance to “get it right” and save the planet as well as ourselves. And, I still have hope that those of us who recognize and have taken advantage of this last chance will be able to make a difference.
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

#14496 Sep 9, 2013
Well! If it does'nt very soon. The Human monkey can look forward to joining the Dinosaurs down the pan.

The dinosaurs managed to survive for 100 million years.

The human monkey? 100 thousand years? That's optimistic.

100's of religions, 1000's of sects. I detect no intelligence there.

Cyril aged 83.

Texas, USA

#14497 Sep 9, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
I said the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent spirit in every particle of everything in the universe is the ONE, aka Lord of Creation, Allah, God, the Supreme Being, Brahman, the Cosmic Consciousness, the Unconditioned Element, etc, etc, etc.....humans have given God hundreds of names over the milliniums. Now quantum physics has added a new name to the list--Higgs Field--the name for that which is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, invisible, and “magically” gives mass, i.e. LIFE, to all elementary particles--without which absolutely nothing would exist.
The words “HUGE, MAGNIFICENT.....WORTHY OF WORSHIP, AWE, REVERENCE” are your words, your straw man, not mine.
<quoted text>
I don’t wake up every morning to the world you described. That’s YOUR mental construct of YOUR own view of reality--not mine. I see the mess we humans have made of the world, and it is sad, but I also see in the ice core graphs that God has intervened to give us one last chance to “get it right” and save the planet as well as ourselves. And, I still have hope that those of us who recognize and have taken advantage of this last chance will be able to make a difference.
So you think "the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent spirit in every particle of everything in the universe is the ONE ...". All these particles are connected how exactly? Some kinda secret mojo too weird for us Humans to detect or understand if we did I suppose. They're all connected across the billions of light years by some 'force' not constrained by the speed of light? It's one thing to suppose some 'force' or 'field' unifying all the 'stuff' in the Universe, proposing that it's sentient (or all powerful) is going out on real fantasy limb.

BTW ... I don't 'do' strawman BS ... hell, I don't even know for sure what you're talking about.

Godbots say their god is all those things, I was trying to emphasize how 'odd' that something so SUPER DUPER can hide so well.

The whole POINT of all this is that there is a REALITY not subject to anyone's 'mental construct'. It did, it is and it will continue to exist whether there's any Humans around to mentally construct anything. Science helps us understand this reality and it's the only one that matters. It's the only one I am vaguely curious about. I totally agree that your "Cosmic Consciousness" and/or the other 9 billion names of God are 'mental constructs' and not particularly creative ones. You can call it what you want, you can try and tie it into the outer realms of particle physics ... it's your 'mental construct' and you can do with it what you will. But it has NO MEANING or quantifiable existence outside the confines of your own skull. Not different in any meaningful way from the 'mental constructs' of all your other godbot pals alive or dead. It's good that you are trying to paint the same old fence with bold new colors and the latest paint formulas, but underneath, it's the same old song and dance!!!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14498 Sep 9, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL You ignorant atheist bubbas are such a hoot....
Not surprising, no counter .

Earth,TX

#14499 Sep 9, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
poor attempt at atheism
<laughing>
Try for a sentence, a statement or an actual thought.
LCNLin

United States

#14500 Sep 9, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Try for a sentence, a statement or an actual thought.
Evangelical atheist who trolls internet sites denouncing God, Christians and religion!
Rational people understand that the claim "There are no absolutes" is a self-defeating statement.
Evangelistic atheists?
Not so much.

Earth,TX

#14501 Sep 9, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Evangelical atheist who trolls internet sites denouncing God, Christians and religion!
Rational people understand that the claim "There are no absolutes" is a self-defeating statement.
Evangelistic atheists?
Not so much.
Well, that made not a whit of sense, but you almost completed one thought.
Thinking

UK

#14502 Sep 10, 2013
Lincock v1.0 just failed another Turing test.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that made not a whit of sense, but you almost completed one thought.
Dak-Original

Harrow, UK

#14503 Sep 10, 2013
Brit Expat wrote:
Well! If it does'nt very soon. The Human monkey can look forward to joining the Dinosaurs down the pan.
Cyril aged 83.
Hey BE, your post is apt but Homo Sapiens (your "Human Monkey") has been about 200,000 at the most but most successful Humanoid (excluding long distance cousins like chimps and greater apes) species to date was Homo Erectus as Homo Erectus lasted for just over 1 million years. We, as species, may or may not have descended from that Homo Erectus. I doubt that we will match Homo Erectus in longeivity tables. Technologically, Homo Sapiens is highly succesful and it may be there there is no species in near universes which stumbled into or achieved such situation for many light years. Or else, there would be some indication via signals.
I like your posts!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14504 Sep 10, 2013
Brit Expat wrote:
Cyril aged 83.
I think modern humans will not only outlive the dinosaurs but will develop technology to leave this planet one day. That is where our focus should be and not on some daft, religious armageddon.

Religion = superstition

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14506 Sep 10, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
All these particles are connected how exactly? Some kinda secret mojo too weird for us Humans to detect or understand if we did I suppose. They're all connected across the billions of light years by some 'force' not constrained by the speed of light?
The universe is a sea of energy particles which connects everything, holds the planets in their orbits, etc, etc, etc, How it does this will likely be the subject of hundreds of new theories. Exciting stuff. Stay tuned...
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It's one thing to suppose some 'force' or 'field' unifying all the 'stuff' in the Universe, proposing that it's sentient (or all powerful) is going out on real fantasy limb.

Not just “sentient” but OMNISCIENT. As in “not a single sparrow can fall to the ground” without God knowing it.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW ... I don't 'do' strawman BS ... hell, I don't even know for sure what you're talking about.

LOL Yeah, you do. In fact, you “do” strawman a lot.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Godbots say their god is all those things, I was trying to emphasize how 'odd' that something so SUPER DUPER can hide so well.

Hide? Not only Jesus, but every prophet, buddha and every holy man from every religious tradition have all taught that only the PURE in heart shall see God.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

The whole POINT of all this is that there is a REALITY not subject to anyone's 'mental construct'. It did, it is and it will continue to exist whether there's any Humans around to mentally construct anything. Science helps us understand this reality and it's the only one that matters. It's the only one I am vaguely curious about. I totally agree that your "Cosmic Consciousness" and/or the other 9 billion names of God are 'mental constructs' and not particularly creative ones. You can call it what you want, you can try and tie it into the outer realms of particle physics ... it's your 'mental construct' and you can do with it what you will. But it has NO MEANING or quantifiable existence outside the confines of your own skull. Not different in any meaningful way from the 'mental constructs' of all your other godbot pals alive or dead. It's good that you are trying to paint the same old fence with bold new colors and the latest paint formulas, but underneath, it's the same old song and dance!!!

I agree that REALITY is not subject to anyone's 'mental construct'. The Higgs Field is REALITY. It exists, it gives mass, i.e. LIFE, to elementary particles and without it, absolutely nothing would exist. Some things are true despite the fact that you can’t wrap your mind around them or incorporate them into your personal mental construct of reality....

Texas, USA

#14507 Sep 10, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe is a sea of energy particles which connects everything, holds the planets in their orbits, etc, etc, etc, How it does this will likely be the subject of hundreds of new theories. Exciting stuff. Stay tuned...
<quoted text>
Not just “sentient” but OMNISCIENT. As in “not a single sparrow can fall to the ground” without God knowing it.
<quoted text>
LOL Yeah, you do. In fact, you “do” strawman a lot.
<quoted text>
Hide? Not only Jesus, but every prophet, buddha and every holy man from every religious tradition have all taught that only the PURE in heart shall see God.
<quoted text>
I agree that REALITY is not subject to anyone's 'mental construct'. The Higgs Field is REALITY. It exists, it gives mass, i.e. LIFE, to elementary particles and without it, absolutely nothing would exist. Some things are true despite the fact that you can’t wrap your mind around them or incorporate them into your personal mental construct of reality....
Yeah ... it's called gravity and it's everywhere but not very omniscient.

He's not 'hiding' but you gotta have a "pure" heart. Hmmmmm. Don't seem to mind me using his Higg's Field or gravitons or any of what you say are his constituent bits.

I'm not trained, versed or particularly interested in the Art of Deception ... er, Argument. Like you, I just call 'em like I see 'em. Your Sky Daddy would seem the ultimate Strawman.

I believe in physics ... it's the "not just “sentient” but OMNISCIENT" attributes your personal 'mental construct' assigns these inanimate objects where we part company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min Uncle Sam 239,400
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 23 min Thinking 2,218
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr Insults Are Easier 125
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Chimney1 19,071
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 4 hr Thinking 2
John 3:16 4 hr Thinking 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr ChristineM 7,471
More from around the web