Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,477

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14309 Aug 28, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no proof for any hypothesis regarding the origins of humans, scientific or religious. Nobody knows.
At this point in human history, I think the question of whether or not humans appeared on Earth "all of a sudden" is less important than the very real possibility that humans may soon disappear from the earth "all of a sudden".
No, i don't see humans surviving forever.
Science says the Earth's diverse plant and animal species are going extinct at alarming, unprecedented rates due to human activities. Science says the human species has already experienced five near extinction events in the past that only a few hundred or thousanAd humans survived. No scientist has made any predictions about a 6th human extinction event being imminent and won't. However, scientists are closely monitoring the continuing rise of greenhouse gases, glacial melts, rise of sea levels, weather patterns, rainfall, deforestation, land desertification, degradation of aquifers, and NO scientist is saying everything is going to be just fine.....
What?!?

Wow, Zit! What a frighteningly ignorant and unenlightened thing to say. That there are Human Beings on the planet from supposedly advanced civilizations who are still this ignorant of the facts is very sad. I am sorry for you. Take comfort in the knowledge that you would make a great Poster Child for the 'Too Much Religion is a Bad Thing' movement.

Texas, USA

#14310 Aug 28, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution says even if some individual members of a species population already possess traits that will enable them to survive environmental change, unless there are enough of those individual members which survive, thrive and reproduce in viable numbers, the species will die out and go extinct like millions of other species have.
The length of time designated for a “generation” is different for every science. Geneticists generally use 29 years for female line generations and 34 years for male line generations. Anthropologists and sociologists have been using a 40 year generation model for about 100 years because the evidence of the archaeological record indicates that all human cultures/societies everywhere on the globe have been adopting new paradigms and reinventing themselves, their religions, world views, etc, about every 40 years for the last 12,000.
Part 1

Duh!

Part 2

That's why our calendars aren't counted from 'number of generations since Noah built the arc' or whatever. It's very imprecise. Why would you even introduce such terminology into what is ostensibly a 'scientific' discussion? It's like your question 'what happened 300 generations ago that took us from the Stone Age to the Space Age?'... nothing. Business as usual. We survived another day and kept climbing the same old ladder we been on for millions of years.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14311 Aug 28, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The discovery of Bacon was clearly a pivotal point in Human development. I know it changed my life.
Might be what really happened to the dinosaurs and unicorns .... bacon. Yum !
LCNlin

United States

#14312 Aug 28, 2013
Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.

Albert Einstein
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#14313 Aug 28, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
01. There's no proof for any hypothesis regarding the origins of humans, scientific or religious. Nobody knows.

02. At this point in human history, I think the question of whether or not humans appeared on Earth "all of a sudden" is less important than the very real possibility that humans may soon disappear from the earth "all of a sudden".

03. No, i don't see humans surviving forever.

04. Science says the Earth's diverse plant and animal species are going extinct at alarming, unprecedented rates due to human activities. Science says the human species has already experienced five near extinction events in .....
Ans.

01. I am happy to say that you say there is NO PROOF regarding origin of humans. The TOS zealots would be fuming at your "stupid attitude"!!

02. The beginning and end of humans shall be in the same way! They appeared 'all of a sudden" and they shall be gone 'All of a sudden"…. And gathered to give "accounts of their lives" to their Creator.

03. Yes humans and life on this earth shall not survive for ever….their end is coming soon, may be "sooner" than any scientist can "predict"

04. Scientists can gather whatever data they can get…. But they should not be in "Predicting business".

Not after so many "Howlers" they have made in pass.

In 1800 s they "predicted" that Britain has coal only for a few decades!!

In 1980 s they "predicted" that Saudi Arabia has oil only for 25-30 years!!

Almost every "prediction": of these scientists has been proven wrong.

And why should they only predict "negative" things, why not any thing positive?
Dak-Original

London, UK

#14314 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no proof for any hypothesis regarding the origins of humans, scientific or religious. Nobody knows.
At this point in human history, I think the question of whether or not humans appeared on Earth "all of a sudden" is less important than the very real possibility that humans may soon disappear from the earth "all of a sudden".
Science says the Earth's diverse plant and animal species are going extinct at alarming, unprecedented rates due to human activities. Science says the human species has already experienced five near extinction events in the past that only a few hundred or thousanAd humans survived. No scientist has made any predictions about a 6th human extinction event being imminent and won't. However, scientists are closely monitoring the continuing rise of greenhouse gases, glacial melts, rise of sea levels, weather patterns, rainfall, deforestation, land desertification, degradation of aquifers, and NO scientist is saying everything is going to be just fine.....
No more hypothesis about life on earth as all life evolved and Homo Sapiens are no exception. 2003 Genome Project is the last nail on creationist fatuous claim that human life appeared all of a sudden. Now pull blanket over your and think about your belief with a "poetic license" and stop the lot here laughing at your expense. NB: Your "bah bah bah" here does not say much about your mind!
Dak-Original

London, UK

#14315 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
As regards specis going extinct, it is not novel thing but this time it is due to one species: Homo Sapiens. MUQ thinks population control is wrong as each one born has "two hands and two legs" to survive. MUQ should be sent to rubbish tips where poor lot use those limbs to survive.
Population control is a must as humans are reducing beautiful diversity of the earth at an alarming rate.

I always give a disapproving look when I see a family of more than two!
Dak-Original

London, UK

#14316 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you still posting inane garbage instead of answering the question I ask you?
Explain how humans crawled out of their caves 12,000 years ago and then jumped from the Stone Age to the Space Age in only 300 generations?
Still waiting for your answer, bubba.....
Not all humans were living in caves 12,000 years ago. Who told you so?

You appear to be ignorant about the "cause and effect" for human development as species and as specific populations/cultures/groups?

Are you confused.com ?
Dak-Original

London, UK

#14317 Aug 29, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. I am happy to say that you say there is NO PROOF regarding origin of humans. The TOS zealots would be fuming at your "stupid attitude"!!
02. The beginning and end of humans shall be in the same way! They appeared 'all of a sudden" and they shall be gone 'All of a sudden"…. And gathered to give "accounts of their lives" to their Creator.
03. Yes humans and life on this earth shall not survive for ever….their end is coming soon, may be "sooner" than any scientist can "predict"
04. Scientists can gather whatever data they can get…. But they should not be in "Predicting business".
Stupid post which commends another for posting "humans appeared all of a sudden on the earth as per "truth" in a book written a millenia ago! OH! MUQ!

NB: Even the scientists do not take any estimates of other sceintists as seriously as this MUQ!
Thinking

United States

#14318 Aug 29, 2013
You might reside in some "f**k me, mohammed, it's too bloody hot again" shitpit but I do not.

I quite like my weather predicted by scientists with more qualifications and less beards.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14319 Aug 29, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never even heard of any kind of mystery surrounding what you have turned into your very own '$64000 dollar question'. It's not even a valid question.
LOL Google “Stone Age to the Space Age” and you’ll get over two million links on the subject. Guess the scientists looking for an answer to this question didn’t get your memo advising them “It's not even a valid question”.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The first tool use dates back 2.5 million years. You should be asking 'how did we progress from crude stone tools to the Space Age in 2.5 million years'. Still a remarkable achievement and one that is very well documented.
Specifically, the first tool use among alleged PROTO humans dates back to around 2.5 million years. Making and using tools, or toys, is not unique to humans. Lots of other animals made and used tools and toys long before Stone Age humans made and used them, and some of those tools indicate other animals had more evolved brains than humans right up until the clock struck 12,000 BP.....
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
12000 years ago, Humans were still involved in migrating around the globe.
Not according to the Human Genome Project....
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you get us all off the edge of our seats and lay out what you think you got? It's pretty clear that you godbots have to have had something 'special' happen '300 generations' ago to fit in with your mythology. So come on ... spit it out. What are ya? Chicken!?!
Sorry, no spoilers.....

Texas, USA

#14320 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Google “Stone Age to the Space Age” and you’ll get over two million links on the subject. Guess the scientists looking for an answer to this question didn’t get your memo advising them “It's not even a valid question”.
<quoted text>
Specifically, the first tool use among alleged PROTO humans dates back to around 2.5 million years. Making and using tools, or toys, is not unique to humans. Lots of other animals made and used tools and toys long before Stone Age humans made and used them, and some of those tools indicate other animals had more evolved brains than humans right up until the clock struck 12,000 BP.....
<quoted text>
Not according to the Human Genome Project....
<quoted text>
Sorry, no spoilers.....
My Google search only turned up 56,800,000. Go figure. For curiosities sake I Googled "Spam" which reported 518,000,000 hits. It's easy to tell where people's priorities lay. I only scanned the first 4 or 5 pages of returns on the original query ... I'm afraid none seemed to point to some miraculous intervention by way of explanation for our 'rapid' development. I'm afraid you will have to direct me to some relevant site. Waiting ...

Texas, USA

#14321 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Not according to the Human Genome Project....
According to this:

" http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/76809352... ;

Human migration to North and South America occurred 10000-25000 years ago, a period that encapsulates and includes 12000 years ago. The graphic is based upon mtDNA studies.

I await your apology.

Texas, USA

#14322 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Specifically, the first tool use among alleged PROTO humans dates back to around 2.5 million years. Making and using tools, or toys, is not unique to humans. Lots of other animals made and used tools and toys long before Stone Age humans made and used them, and some of those tools indicate other animals had more evolved brains than humans right up until the clock struck 12,000 BP.....
Using a piece of straw to collect ants or a stone to crack a shell is not the same as fashioning a cutting or scraping implement from flint. It is considerably more advanced to make purpose-built tools than simply using something that happens to be laying around. There is no way to say some animal "had more evolved brains" based on fossils. You might get an estimate based upon the ratio of brain mass to spinal mass, but no other animal competes with Hominids in that regards. Show me a tool using or making marine mammal before you even bring it up. There is some relationship between intelligence and the complexity of folding in the cerebral cortex but those details are not preserved in fossils. So don't even go there.

Texas, USA

#14323 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, no spoilers.....
Cuz you got nothing to spoil. I've already mentioned a possible impact event around 12000 years ago that may well have wiped out an entire population (the Clovis people) and had catastrophic effects on many other indigenous life forms. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire globe didn't have a 'nuclear winter' for months after the impact. Maybe surviving such a calamity put 'The Fear of God' in people ... something we are still trying expunge from our collective memory. If only Carl Sagan had been alive back then to explain ...

Texas, USA

#14324 Aug 29, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Using a piece of straw to collect ants ...
Oops. I meant 'termites' of course ... every body knows that.

United States of America

#14325 Aug 29, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
And, lo and behold, these ignorant atheist zealots are indeed once again fuming at my “stupid attitude”!

You’re a prophet, MUQ!
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
An “all of a sudden” human extinction would be so much more preferable to a long painful human extinction through drought, famine, disease, war, and the inevitable genocides for remaining food and water supplies....
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Scientists can’t make any predictions about what’s going to happen because there is absolutely no precedent for the escalating amounts of CO2 in the Earth’s atmosphere. According to ice core graphs of past climate cycles. the Earth should have started turning into a giant snowball about 150 years ago. Why that hasn’t happened yet really is a big mystery.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
It’s a good thing to have a skeptical attitude and consider the source regarding any kind of predictions and to bear in mind that sometimes there’s a huge gap between what news reporters write and the findings scientists have actually reported. Scientists gather evidence, study it and make predictions i.e.“best guesses”. Those”best guesses” are what science is about and no predictions, especially about weather, are ever carved in stone.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14326 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
And, lo and behold, these ignorant atheist zealots are indeed once again fuming at my “stupid attitude”!
You’re a prophet, MUQ!
<quoted text>
An “all of a sudden” human extinction would be so much more preferable to a long painful human extinction through drought, famine, disease, war, and the inevitable genocides for remaining food and water supplies....
<quoted text>
Scientists can’t make any predictions about what’s going to happen because there is absolutely no precedent for the escalating amounts of CO2 in the Earth’s atmosphere. According to ice core graphs of past climate cycles. the Earth should have started turning into a giant snowball about 150 years ago. Why that hasn’t happened yet really is a big mystery.
<quoted text>
It’s a good thing to have a skeptical attitude and consider the source regarding any kind of predictions and to bear in mind that sometimes there’s a huge gap between what news reporters write and the findings scientists have actually reported. Scientists gather evidence, study it and make predictions i.e.“best guesses”. Those”best guesses” are what science is about and no predictions, especially about weather, are ever carved in stone.
Just prove your god and stop making a scene. You creationists are pitiful

United States of America

#14327 Aug 29, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Using a piece of straw to collect ants or a stone to crack a shell is not the same as fashioning a cutting or scraping implement from flint. It is considerably more advanced to make purpose-built tools than simply using something that happens to be laying around. There is no way to say some animal "had more evolved brains" based on fossils. You might get an estimate based upon the ratio of brain mass to spinal mass, but no other animal competes with Hominids in that regards. Show me a tool using or making marine mammal before you even bring it up. There is some relationship between intelligence and the complexity of folding in the cerebral cortex but those details are not preserved in fossils. So don't even go there.
LOL

Hate to burst your bubble...(hehehehehehehe....)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/05/...

Texas, USA

#14328 Aug 29, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Hate to burst your bubble...(hehehehehehehe....)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/05/...
The article alludes that progress from 'stone tools' to 'flaked stone tools' itself took 2.5 million years. Our more direct ancestors went into the "Space Age" in the same interval. Fits rather well with what I was trying to say. My bubble remains intact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Joe fortuna 234,515
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min Brian_G 14,503
Christianity Created Hitler 21 min Uncle Sam 113
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 2 hr The_Box 1,230
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 hr woodtick57 2,838
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 13 hr Thinking 22
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 23 hr polymath257 41
More from around the web