Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14730 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Dak-Original

Leeds, UK

#14228 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion,
Let us know when it occurs ;-)
Einstein rejected the label atheist.
Einstein stated I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
In current times, Einstein would be labelled "Almost Atheist"! Einstein did reject all religions.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#14229 Aug 24, 2013
I think Atheists and Agnostics are focusing on the wrong problem. The problem is not religion.

The problem is that more intelligent people tend to not be religious. They also tend to reproduce at a much slower rate. Therefore, religion will eventually dominate because stupid people are reproducing much faster than intelligent people.

That's the real problem.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14230 Aug 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
I think Atheists and Agnostics are focusing on the wrong problem. The problem is not religion.
The problem is that more intelligent people tend to not be religious. They also tend to reproduce at a much slower rate. Therefore, religion will eventually dominate because stupid people are reproducing much faster than intelligent people.
That's the real problem.
Intelligent people must be uglier than stupid people.

#14231 Aug 24, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent people must be uglier than stupid people.
That is a possibility.
LCNlin

United States

#14233 Aug 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
I think Atheists and Agnostics are focusing on the wrong problem.

The problem is not religion.

The problem is that more intelligent
people tend to not be religious.

They also tend to reproduce at a much slower rate. Therefore, religion will eventually dominate because stupid people are reproducing much faster than intelligent people.
That's the real problem.
Opinions always interesting and amusing.
Documentation?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#14237 Aug 24, 2013
every game wrote:
The "thrill killers" were atheists. Oklahoma is an atheist infested state.
You talking about the band , or te Jewish kids that killed two guys?

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#14238 Aug 24, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>The most intelligent and sweet people with generous hearts are Christians. You don't seem to fit that description . I bet you are a worthless sack of shit.
You obviously aren't basing any of those claims on fact.

Montreal

#14239 Aug 24, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>that right there is your biggest problem.
Yes, we know that thinking is a sin, thanks.

That's why you're religious, and we're atheist. We use our brains and think, you repeat your indoctrination no matter how insane it sounds.

#14240 Aug 24, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
The most intelligent and sweet people with generous hearts are Christians. You don't seem to fit that description . I bet you are a worthless sack of shit.
Sweet and generous huh? That doesn't fit my experience. Mostly Christians are liars that go around calling themselves sweet and generous and calling others "sacks of crap".

Just sayin ....

#14241 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Opinions always interesting and amusing.
Documentation?
The inverse relationship between intelligence and religiousity.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#14242 Aug 25, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
That's the real problem.
The problem is religion. Religious encourages people to value superstition over facts and scientific research. Most religious people aren't stupid and some of them are even smarter than some atheists. However, they are encouraged to see the world form the narrow view of their religion.

#14243 Aug 25, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is religion. Religious encourages people to value superstition over facts and scientific research. Most religious people aren't stupid and some of them are even smarter than some atheists. However, they are encouraged to see the world form the narrow view of their religion.
And they aren't smart enough to see beyond this manipulation? Bazinga!

Montreal

#14244 Aug 25, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>And they aren't smart enough to see beyond this manipulation? Bazinga!
It's not about being smart enough...people who are indoctrinated, no matter how smart, cannot easily break the bonds of their indoctrination.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14245 Aug 25, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
The the religiously abused, it is a drug that feeds on emotions like guilt and love.

Thats why believers are often unwilling to accept what they know to be true based on evidence.

Same way a crack addict might turn against his family - just ask Buck Crick..

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14246 Aug 25, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly agree that we are on an unsustainable growth curve. A crash of 'disaster movie' proportions seems inevitable. It probably won't be a nice, clean 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' kind of disaster, like the Black Death, where the survivors find themselves enjoying a suddenly depopulated but largely intact infrastructure. Nope. It's gonna be a slow, suffocating ugly kind of thing and all the absolute worst aspects of Humanity are going to strut their stuff. Including, I'm afraid, a resurgence of religion and superstition, which seems to ride on the back of misery like ticks on a dog. Unlike friendly plagues ... there won't be much left for the survivors, our resources having been spent in centuries of pointless conflict and uncontrolled growth.
What the ice core graphs indicate is that for about the last 12,000 years, the earth has been enclosed in a kind of climate “bubble” in which the global temperature has never fluctuated more than plus/minus 2 degrees C.

http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionar...

All of the ice core data collected so far indicates this climate “bubble” has been an unprecedented phenomena. Previous climate cycles stretching back some 800,000 years do not predict this kind of climate phenomena and there is no scientific explanation for how or why this happened.

http://www.ferdinand-engelbeen.be/klimaat/kli...

But, yeah, it looks like our 12,000 year old climate “bubble” is probably going to be bursting soon because of all the excess CO2 in the atmosphere and our failure to do something about it. If I had my druthers between (1) a quick, clean, painless death by flash freezing, or (2) a slow, messy, painful death by famine, thirst, sickness, war, etc, I’d really prefer to have what’s behind door #1.....
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#14247 Aug 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
What the ice core graphs indicate is that for about the last 12,000 years, the earth has been enclosed in a kind of climate “bubble” in which the global temperature has never fluctuated more than plus/minus 2 degrees C.
http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionar...
All of the ice core data collected so far indicates this climate “bubble” has been an unprecedented phenomena. Previous climate cycles stretching back some 800,000 years do not predict this kind of climate phenomena and there is no scientific explanation for how or why this happened.
http://www.ferdinand-engelbeen.be/klimaat/kli...
But, yeah, it looks like our 12,000 year old climate “bubble” is probably going to be bursting soon because of all the excess CO2 in the atmosphere and our failure to do something about it. If I had my druthers between (1) a quick, clean, painless death by flash freezing, or (2) a slow, messy, painful death by famine, thirst, sickness, war, etc, I’d really prefer to have what’s behind door #1.....
Have scientists predicted anything "positive" about human kind?

I have only seen them talking about deaths, famine, and general misery for human race....why this negative attitude?

Do they not see any thing "positive"?

And mind you NONE of their past negative predictions have been proven true!!

I think a true scientist should never "predict" what will happen in future, it is not their job to do this, They are overstepping their science and scientific methods.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14248 Aug 25, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
The most intelligent and sweet people with generous hearts are Christians. You don't seem to fit that description . I bet you are a worthless sack of shit.
I'd bet that you are "intelligent and sweet", and therefore not at all prone to calling other people "worthless sacks of shit".
LCNlin

United States

#14249 Aug 25, 2013
The leader of an atheist group sued because she didn’t believe she qualified for tax exemptions afforded to clergy.

When the government says she does qualify – as a minister – she got even angrier.

“We are not ministers,” Annie Laurie Gaylor, chief of the Freedom from Religion Foundation, told The Tennessean newspaper.“We are having to tell the government the obvious — we are not a church.”

The lawsuit is over the parsonage exemption for clergy, which allows ministers to claim part of their salary as a tax-free housing allowance.

Gaylor’s Madison, Wisc.-based group is organized, united by faith that there is no deity, and essentially builds fellowship around those beliefs. Thus, the Department of Justice filed a brief stating that Gaylor, as the group’s leader, is eligible for the exemption since atheist groups can essentially function as a religion.

That complicates the foundation’s federal lawsuit, first filed in 2009, after the foundation board voted to give Gaylor and her husband Dan Barker a housing allowance of $15,000 per year. The couple then claimed they didn’t qualify for the same tax exemption as clergy so the foundation sued the federal government. In August 2012, a federal judge ruled the case can move forward.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/21/at...

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#14250 Aug 26, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
And they aren't smart enough to see beyond this manipulation? Bazinga!
In this world, smart people sometimes do dumb things and dumb people on occasion, act wisely.
Take Leopold and Loeb, two smart, rich boys who ruined their whole lives just so they could have fun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_and_Loeb .
Like these two, religious people forsake common sense for what makes them feel good.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#14251 Aug 26, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The the religiously abused, it is a drug that feeds on emotions like guilt and love.
Thats why believers are often unwilling to accept what they know to be true based on evidence.
Same way a crack addict might turn against his family - just ask Buck Crick..
That is one great way of seeing it. For myself, I often compare the religious to people who are in abusive relationships but stay because they think their abusers love them, despite evidence to the contrary.
But your analogy is better because the goal of the drug abuser is not attainable, and their high is only a temporary thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 min Regolith Based Li... 14,848
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 40 min Regolith Based Li... 34,173
News Is Atheism Just a Religion In Disguise? (Feb '08) 45 min hpcaban 41
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr superwilly 255,498
Reasoning with Insanity 7 hr Eagle 12 40
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 11 hr Eagle 12 4,463
News Why I quit atheism 11 hr Eagle 12 259
More from around the web