Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14730 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Dak-Original

Tipton, UK

#14207 Aug 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Our Creator guy has sense of humor as well sense of justice, equity and truth and many other traits in exact proportions as befitting to His majesty.
What we see on earth is a very minute display of His endless knowledge , wisdom, mercy and power.
Humans have really not created any thing, they just used the material already created and reshaped it to get some gadgets that are useful in their material life.
But creating a thing, they are still billions of light years away from it.
And yet many of these boast as if they have conquered the wisdom and power and knowledge of Sole Creator of this Universe.
The laugh is on humans and not on Creator,
MUQ's "creator" is like a human king and a vain individual! GOD cannot be anything we moratals can ever imagine. All religions are inventions of human minds. OH! MUQ!
Dak-Original

Tipton, UK

#14208 Aug 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What THAT has to do with the topic we are discussing
Everything if you re-read your own post! Innocent lot do not invite dastardly acts perpetrated on them. Think!? No you will not since your mind is sold to a dogma! OH! MUQ!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14209 Aug 21, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
MUQ's "creator" is like a human king and a vain individual! GOD cannot be anything we moratals can ever imagine. All religions are inventions of human minds. OH! MUQ!
Why would you say that? Does Human imagination seem stunted or limited? A Universe creating, omnipotent, omniscient, loving, jealous, vengeful super-being isn't enough? Your god, MUQ's god, Zit's god ... all products of our imagination. People fall down in worship, blow themselves up, murder innocent people, build magnificent edifices, devote their entire lives to these 'mental constructs'. I agree with you on the 'religion' aspect, I cannot understand why you can not extend your disdain to the 'god' aspect as well. You disparage Humanity. There are no limits to our imagine as this vast array of 'gods' illustrates. The problem is that it is imagine misdirected into counter-productive beliefs and endeavor. Science has stimulated our imaginations and will, if allowed, continue to do so until all our gods seem petty and insignificant in comparison. Hell ... it's already done so! It's not a lack of imagination but, rather ... too many people are still asleep!!

Texas, USA

#14210 Aug 21, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god's supposed sense of humour is what you were talking about.
Thinking's post fit the topic quite well.
He has the 'sense of humor' of a spoiled child, torturing animals and pulling the wings off flies.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#14211 Aug 21, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ... we got to play out the warming before anybody has to worry about getting flash frozen ... something that could well take hundreds, if not thousands, of years.
We’ve already played out our natural resources to “play out the warming”.

Peak oil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

Peak water:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_water

Peak soil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agri...

Peak fish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_down_the...
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The seeming disparity between CO2 levels and temperature may indicate that there are other factors involved in the historic cycles that has not had a chance to come into play in this time of 'artificial' CO2 increases.
What other factors? The ice core graphs show amazingly predictable cycles of warming and cooling that extend backwards for 800,000 years.

United States of America

#14212 Aug 21, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you say that? Does Human imagination seem stunted or limited? A Universe creating, omnipotent, omniscient, loving, jealous, vengeful super-being isn't enough? Your god, MUQ's god, Zit's god ... all products of our imagination. People fall down in worship, blow themselves up, murder innocent people, build magnificent edifices, devote their entire lives to these 'mental constructs'. I agree with you on the 'religion' aspect, I cannot understand why you can not extend your disdain to the 'god' aspect as well. You disparage Humanity. There are no limits to our imagine as this vast array of 'gods' illustrates. The problem is that it is imagine misdirected into counter-productive beliefs and endeavor. Science has stimulated our imaginations and will, if allowed, continue to do so until all our gods seem petty and insignificant in comparison. Hell ... it's already done so! It's not a lack of imagination but, rather ... too many people are still asleep!!
Good post. Very interesting points.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text> It's not a lack of imagination but, rather ... too many people are still asleep!!
I totally agree with that statement!

Texas, USA

#14213 Aug 21, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Peak oil:
Peak water:
Peak soil:
Peak fish:
<quoted text>
What other factors? The ice core graphs show amazingly predictable cycles of warming and cooling that extend backwards for 800,000 years.
Methane is a far more 'efficient' greenhouse gas and it's levels have been increasing far more dramatically than CO2. Billions of tons of the gas are 'locked up' as methane hydrates in the oceans and permafrost. All I'm saying is that the relatively minor average temperature increases due to CO2 could 'trigger' the release of huge amounts of methane that would take global temperatures way off the scale on your graph. Methane breaks down fairly quickly in the atmosphere and the entire episode might only last a short time (in geologic terms) and not even show up recognizably in ice core studies. It would be a great potential 'extinction event' as you seem to be so anxious for. It would be death by 'heat stroke' instead of freezing, but as long as it wipes us out, who cares right?

" http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives... ;

This guy (above link) doesn't see any 'disaster movie' episodes coming but ... who knows? There's always hope. Don't buy any beach front property!!

Texas, USA

#14214 Aug 21, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. Very interesting points.
<quoted text>
I totally agree with that statement!
Hey thanks! I wish I were a better proof-reader. There's two 'imagines' that should have been 'imaginations' but I hope the point remains.

United States of America

#14215 Aug 21, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey thanks! I wish I were a better proof-reader. There's two 'imagines' that should have been 'imaginations' but I hope the point remains.
Your point was clearly stated and wasn't compromised. It remains.
Rogue Element

Medford, OR

#14216 Aug 21, 2013
I see "MUQ" still hasn't proven his creator.
Dak-Original

Tipton, UK

#14218 Aug 22, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of humanity are the prisoners of their culture and birth. Humans are prisoners of the thinking brain development during evolution. Nothing to do with potential of human imagination or human endeavour to seek facts.
Not everyhting humans do or feel is logical and resonable. However, malfactors in human religions which affect all should be pointed out so that these are removed or ignored by followers of a particular faith.

Texas, USA

#14219 Aug 22, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of humanity are the prisoners of their culture and birth. Humans are prisoners of the thinking brain development during evolution. Nothing to do with potential of human imagination or human endeavour to seek facts.
Not everyhting humans do or feel is logical and resonable. However, malfactors in human religions which affect all should be pointed out so that these are removed or ignored by followers of a particular faith.
It just rankles me when someone says something is 'more than we can imagine'. There are certainly things that exist outside our sphere of knowledge and we have a very effective mechanism in place to fix that. Our imagination's seem boundless. That doesn't mean everything we can imagine necessarily exists or that some kind of 'proof' is available for things that can be imagined but not held manifest.

Religions are real enough, of course, as are their demonstrably negative influence on Humanity, although some imagine them beneficial. LOL. The gods they serve exist solely within the imagination of their (religions) participants. The malfactors are those who get caught up and carried away. Anyway ... lack of imagination definitely AIN'T one of our problems.

Texas, USA

#14220 Aug 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Peak oil:
Peak water:
Peak soil:
Peak fish:
<quoted text>
I certainly agree that we are on an unsustainable growth curve. A crash of 'disaster movie' proportions seems inevitable. It probably won't be a nice, clean 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' kind of disaster, like the Black Death, where the survivors find themselves enjoying a suddenly depopulated but largely intact infrastructure. Nope. It's gonna be a slow, suffocating ugly kind of thing and all the absolute worst aspects of Humanity are going to strut their stuff. Including, I'm afraid, a resurgence of religion and superstition, which seems to ride on the back of misery like ticks on a dog. Unlike friendly plagues ... there won't be much left for the survivors, our resources having been spent in centuries of pointless conflict and uncontrolled growth.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14221 Aug 22, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly agree that we are on an unsustainable growth curve. A crash of 'disaster movie' proportions seems inevitable.
I agree a crash is possible maybe even likely, and prepping for this in some way is sensible. However another possibility is the economy will stagnate and the future in the west will be low growth. Happy days!
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14222 Aug 22, 2013
I have been prepping in a small way for a while, for the possibility of a future crash. Just stocking tins of food, water and basic things. As long as you have stuff which you will use, there can be no waste in it.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#14223 Aug 22, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
He has the 'sense of humor' of a spoiled child, torturing animals and pulling the wings off flies.
He doesn't even spare the daddy-longlegs.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#14224 Aug 22, 2013
Still waiting for this supernatural miracle we can observe today....

Can you answer before you blow yourself up in a daycare?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What THAT has to do with the topic we are discussing

Texas, USA

#14225 Aug 23, 2013
spudgun wrote:
I have been prepping in a small way for a while, for the possibility of a future crash. Just stocking tins of food, water and basic things. As long as you have stuff which you will use, there can be no waste in it.
Yeah. I've 'gotten into' motorcycle camping, which tends to the same needs as backpackers. There's all kinds of freeze-dried/long shelf life food, little alcohol/multi-fuel stoves, water filters and stuff, really feeds the 'gadget freak' in me, while honing a minimalist skill set. An individual could probably get on for an extended period. Not sure I would call it 'living' though. Caring for a family is another matter. If the ship ever sinks, most of us Urbanites will probably be going down with her. The farmers and ranchers will survive to become the new kings.

Texas, USA

#14226 Aug 23, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't even spare the daddy-longlegs.
The delicate and spindly daddy-longlegs seem incapable of surviving a strong wind, much less the Wrath of GOD!! But, who knows? They may fare better than us ... not being SINNERS and all.
LCNlin

United States

#14227 Aug 23, 2013
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion,
Let us know when it occurs ;-)

Einstein rejected the label atheist.

Einstein stated I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr karl44 21,423
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 257,159
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 6 hr ATHEOI 397
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr Eagle 12 10,374
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 9 hr par five 451
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 hr River Tam 20,327
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 11 hr Romantic Romeo 17
More from around the web