Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14655 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#13697 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Throughout the history of the Soviet Union, Christianity was suppressed and persecuted to different extents depending on the particular era. Soviet policy toward religion was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism, which made atheism the official doctrine of the Soviet Union. Marxism-Leninism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and the elimination of religion.
The state was committed to the destruction of religion, and destroyed churches, mosques and temples, ridiculed, harassed and executed religious leaders, flooded the schools and media with atheistic propaganda, and generally promoted 'scientific atheism' as the truth that society should accept.(((((((The total number of Christians killed, as a result of Soviet state atheist policies, has been estimated at over 20 million.)))))))))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_C...
Theists and atheists alike have killed "heretics" to their particular belief systems but so far atheists have scoured more kills....
In this case, communists didn't want social competition from the churches. Religion was supressed for communist purposes. It had nothing to do with atheism.

Thanks for proving you are lying again. BTW, Hitler was a christian and he was killing for christian ideals.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#13698 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Could it be that GOD has not the type of quality we mere humans can ever imagine. Who/what/etc put all universe/s together? We have to be humble that we are still probing. What you are referring is, perhaps, heaven in skies as found in some religions. You are then right if you say that all religions have been proved wrong by human discoveries so far.
Bible said we are "made in his image" ... bipedal? Mammalian? Oxygen breathers? Binocular vision? Or is it more the way we think? How we process information? The Bible certainly suggests God is petty, jealous, vengeful and almost child-like. The Fruit, as they say, doesn't fall far from the tree. Reminds me of an alcoholic/abusive parent. I think we can handle the Truth. Lay it on me.

"Heaven in skies" didn't come out of any Atheist's head. I think they've been "proved wrong" about a lot of things. Some of it minor stuff ... like where we came from and where we're going. No big deal.

Texas, USA

#13699 Jul 27, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
They look like religious nuts like MUQ.
With a rich, creamy nougat center!

"Sometimes you feel like a nut!
Sometimes you don't!!"

<candy commercial, currently about 30 light years from Earth>

Texas, USA

#13700 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
@RHill .... now see what you started? Bite me, bud!!!
"I'm so sorry"
<film "Devil" 2010>

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#13701 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case, communists didn't want social competition from the churches. Religion was supressed for communist purposes. It had nothing to do with atheism.
Thanks for proving you are lying again. BTW, Hitler was a christian and he was killing for christian ideals.
You asked for sources--I gave you the link to the sources.

It is well documented and indisputable that atheism was the official doctrine of the Soviet Union, bubba.

Texas, USA

#13702 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
"less likely" does not mean ruling GOD out! However, belief has proven to be beneficial to human mind!
It becomes less and less likely with each measurement, each longer exposure (such as the Hubble Ultra-deep-field), each atom smashed or genome sequenced. The "Most Powerful Being in the Universe" has become vanishingly tiny or really good at hiding. I think it's time to start ruling the Old Boy out.

It could be "proven" that some "benefit" might be derived from sucking one's thumb, dragging a Security Blanket around, waving a Talisman, hanging garlic or throwing salt over your shoulder. Depends on what you call 'proof' and what you call 'benefit'.

#13703 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked for sources--I gave you the link to the sources.
It is well documented and indisputable that atheism was the official doctrine of the Soviet Union, bubba.
Communists supported no organized religion. In only that sense were they "atheist".

You are lying again dumb zits.

Texas, USA

#13704 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Henry is right, bubba. Humans are on their way out as a species.
Space travel does bad things to the human body:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_spacef...
So, even if we did manage to solve the propulsion problem, we could never solve the physiological problems involved in long term space travel.
If we don't clean up the environmental mess we've made on this planet and become good stewards....we are indeed doomed.
Oh Pah-leseeeeeee!!! Hell ... I could design a multi-generational, spin stablized, artificial gravitied, mega-shielded, nuclear propelled, self-contained, closed-ecology, relativistic Star Ship on a napkin! It's not the technology, it's not the physiology ... it's a problem of the will. We lack the will to build such a thing. Why?'Cause everybody wait'n on the Rapture. Everybody out kill'n each other over BS. The treasures of our plant spilt out in useless conflicts. Most of 'em religious in nature. You 'bots got to bear the blame for the Demise of Mankind. I would hope you would at least have the courtesy to say "Excuse me".

Texas, USA

#13705 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you not confusing religions with mere belief in GOD? Religions are organised, whether via establihments or not, belief vehicles. Humans need religions so they invent them. Beliefs are then endemic part of human journey so far. Religions have been good and bad for humans and the arch believers (nowadays the jihadists like MUQ) maintain that religions are being miused by humans as if relgions were "knives".
Nobody is 'confused'. Believers form religions, religions wield political and economic power. "Mere belief" divested of it's political clout would be harmless enough I guess. We are trying to make that happen. Even so, I can't see how everyone grasping reality and letting go of their superstitions could possibly be harmful to anyone except the Elitists.

Texas, USA

#13706 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Or we could design our successor species to be capable of inhabiting space. Long term dormancies, resistance, maybe even preference for cold, photosynthesis, ability to respire with a multitude of gas admospheres, maybe even liquids. It certainly wouldn't be human .... but so what?
"Successor species"?!?!? Man, whose side are YOU on? We need to stick with the species we got. We've been modifying Nature to suit us since like ... forever. I think we can continue to do so.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#13708 Jul 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Pah-leseeeeeee!!! Hell ... I could design a multi-generational, spin stablized, artificial gravitied, mega-shielded, nuclear propelled, self-contained, closed-ecology, relativistic Star Ship on a napkin! It's not the technology, it's not the physiology ... it's a problem of the will. We lack the will to build such a thing. Why?'Cause everybody wait'n on the Rapture. Everybody out kill'n each other over BS. The treasures of our plant spilt out in useless conflicts. Most of 'em religious in nature. You 'bots got to bear the blame for the Demise of Mankind. I would hope you would at least have the courtesy to say "Excuse me".
Yeah, right....and it's parked right next to your time travel machine.

Who do we blame for our failure to clean up the earth's atmosphere, our dying oceans, and the rest of the planet, bubba? God? Christianity? LOL

Texas, USA

#13709 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Here, I agree with you since it takes longer time for body to acclimatise than the amount of trips would be undertaken over a millenia. Does it mean you agree that population control is necessary? That MUQ told me that large families even in poor families are okay since each born one has two hands and two legs to use!
What?!? Do you people read the paper? The only 'physiological problems' we encounter on long-duration space missions is muscular degeneration due to micro-gravity and some radiation worries. Both 'problems' have simple engineering solutions. On a multi-generational Starship, I'm afraid 'population control' would be mandatory. No Catholics allowed. LOL

Texas, USA

#13711 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
And without the atheistic beliefs of dozens of fascist regimes in the 20th century, 180 to 240 million men, women. and children would not have been gassed, gunned down or starved to death.
I saw where we have reached the 'mile stone' of having as many people alive on Earth right now as have ever lived previous. Lucky us. Nobody has done anything to endanger our tenure here. Except the Godbots of course. They'll have us here fat, dumb and happy for the next planet-killing asteroid. Thanks pals.

Texas, USA

#13713 Jul 27, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
less likely is a much more modest phrase than your assertions about reality, and the 'real' with parens is also more modest. I am an agnostic atheist, meaning not making a knowledge claim and not believing. Agnostic means not making a knowledge claim when used as an adjective. Some regard agnosticism as asserting that matters regarding God can not be known - that seems to me to violate the spirit of the attitude of being agnostic about something. I merely suspect many things cannot be known, but do not claim to know that they cannot be. <quoted text>
I see no reason to start assigning Humanity arbitrary and meaningless limitations. I guess I'm just prejudiced. Maybe that's what 'Secular Humanism' is really all about.

Texas, USA

#13717 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
That might work....if we designed ones that didn't produce excess flatulence like human space travelers. Otherwise, we're still stuck with the risk management problem of static electricity igniting farts and blowing up the whole damn ship.....
There are other issues that complicate things as well. Humans have symbiotic relationships with dozens/hundreds of other species who reside inside and outside our bodies, like those little critters that live in our hair follicles and keep them clean and healthy. If space travel does bad things to them--kills them--even designer humans probably couldn't survive turing into a crusty scab.
I'd love to be able to one day hitchhike the Milky Way or see the Horsehead Nebula with my own eyes but it's not going to happen while I'm in this human body.
No. It's not going to happen anytime soon. We're talking 'long range goals' here. A planet-bound race of headbanging godbots or loud and proud interstellar explorers. Flatulence be damned!

Texas, USA

#13719 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a well-documented fact that atheist regimes killed millions of people simply because they refused to renounce their religions and accept the idea that there was no God.
If there has been a total of 14 billion people alive at one time or another, a few million is a statistical 'drop in the bucket'. Find a new argument ... this one is stale.

Texas, USA

#13720 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, right....and it's parked right next to your time travel machine.
Who do we blame for our failure to clean up the earth's atmosphere, our dying oceans, and the rest of the planet, bubba? God? Christianity? LOL
Where are you coming up with this "time machine" stuff. I've never claimed anything about Time Machines. Such a device would violate the Laws of Causality ... clearly impossible. Now the time dilation effects experienced by my relativistic, multi-generational starship might be considered a 'time machine' of sorts but that is clearly not it's purpose. Besides, Causality is not violated.

We blame the current human load and those who came before us! That's simple enough. Most of whom, I needn't point out, are/were self-confessed 'Godbots' of one sort or another. Still waiting for that apology! Y'all have made quite a mess of things. Time to step down.

Texas, USA

#13721 Jul 27, 2013
Sasha Cohen wrote:
<quoted text>If you believe that nonscientific crap, then the idea of a successor species must continue. Did the rat have the right to stop evolution and stop successor species? White people have no right to stop the successor species of black Africans from evolving to being the only human species. I mean, you do believe in that crap.
Sorry ... I don't speak 'Blonde'.

Texas, USA

#13722 Jul 27, 2013
Sasha Cohen wrote:
<quoted text>If you believe that nonscientific crap, then the idea of a successor species must continue. Did the rat have the right to stop evolution and stop successor species? White people have no right to stop the successor species of black Africans from evolving to being the only human species. I mean, you do believe in that crap.
The Rat, BTW is at the pinnacle of it's evolutionary development. As long as most of Mankind continues to suffer along in religion induced squalor, they will thrive unchanged. I've heard it on good word that as racial barriers break down, future Human's will most likely be dark-skinned and almond eyed. If that is your photo, I'm afraid you are something of a 'throw-back'.

#13723 Jul 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Successor species"?!?!? Man, whose side are YOU on? We need to stick with the species we got. We've been modifying Nature to suit us since like ... forever. I think we can continue to do so.
It really doesn't matter how conservative or progressive you want to be on the topic, it really is inevitable.

Say, as I imagine you would prefer, we try to keep you the same, just living healthier and longer. We replace your kidneys with artificial ones, better ones. Then we replace your heart with a better one. Eventually you develop dementia, we replace your brain ..... and Ooops! The original "design" seems to have gone missing. tsk tsk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Knowledge- 243,461
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr USaWarringIdiotSo... 9,438
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr Brian_G 19,796
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 19 hr thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Sat Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web