Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14730 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#12316 Jun 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry the discussion is over your head. Yes, lack of intelligence is a barrier to good discussion. You seem to think that everything should be understood with no work. That is simply silliness.
He is a simple troll, he has no intention of actually listening to anyone.
He's been presented evidence, explained things thoroughly, and has yet to engage further besides naming one of his "barriers."

It's been months and he still claims dinosaurs walked the Earth less than a few thousand years ago, and that the Earth is only 6'000 years old.
He's not made a single step towards reality and away from his delusions in all that time.

He denies evolution for we did not experience it first-hand, yet accepts his faith completely when he did not experience anything first-hand.

He is not a rational mind, not a logical one.

There is no point in repeating facts to him over and over since he will always deny them.

Montreal

#12317 Jun 24, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>Lack of understanding again. Keep assuming
Intelligence barrier.

Montreal

#12318 Jun 24, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct, you lack intelligence.
There goes your intelligence barrier again!

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#12319 Jun 24, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>He is a simple troll, he has no intention of actually listening to anyone.
He's been presented evidence, explained things thoroughly, and has yet to engage further besides naming one of his "barriers."

It's been months and he still claims dinosaurs walked the Earth less than a few thousand years ago, and that the Earth is only 6'000 years old.
He's not made a single step towards reality and away from his delusions in all that time.

He denies evolution for we did not experience it first-hand, yet accepts his faith completely when he did not experience anything first-hand.

He is not a rational mind, not a logical one.

There is no point in repeating facts to him over and over since he will always deny them.
You are correct, you lack intelligence.

Location hidden

#12320 Jun 24, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>There goes your intelligence barrier again!

Montreal

#12321 Jun 24, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct, you lack intelligence.
Keep hitting your intelligence barrier.
We know you can't break through and learn a thing or two.

Location hidden

#12322 Jun 24, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>Keep hitting your intelligence barrier.
We know you can't break through and learn a thing or two.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#12323 Jun 24, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
01 Many millions of Jewish folk live here. As do Muslims. I will be forever grateful (to what or to whom I do not know) that the vast majority of these people prefer to live in their own countries. Squabbles over who 'belongs' where can be settled through rational discourse or with the sword. Either way, just settle it please, so we can all move on.
02 We atheists test gods all the time. They fail. Resoundingly. Worship involves keeping you occupied and distracted while the powers-that-be enjoy their lives more fully. It is a tool of your subjugation and benefits no one but your masters.
03 I do not have a "Creator" beyond my mother and father. Nor do you. No one who has ever lived has actually communicated with a "Creator" being. None such exists. Now, I want you to think about this ... can you admit that everything you know about your "Creator" was taught you by other Human Beings? What might their motives be? Do you trust them? Even Jesus said "Render onto Caesar" in Earthly matters while preaching compliance and "turn the other cheek". Who did this serve? The Jews? Their conquerors? Does the Qur'an offer similar advice?
04 Well then ... we agree! We should not waste our short lives in idle pursuits. Safe to say, worshiping non-existent deities is an extremely idle pursuit!! Our lives are short and often harsh ... what idle time we have, we spend in imagining better worlds. These imaginings become mythologies that become religions. No mystery here.
Do you have "Google" (silly question, of course you do!). Google 'nature' and some very useful sites jump out trying to inform you! It's almost miraculous. I like this one from Dictionary.com :
na·ture [ney-cher] noun
1. the material world, especially as surrounding humankind and existing independently of human activities.
2. the natural world as it exists without human beings or civilization.
3. the elements of the natural world, as mountains, trees, animals, or rivers.
4. natural scenery.
5. the universe, with all its phenomena.

Higher consciousness, also called Super consciousness (Yoga), objective consciousness (Gurdjieff), Buddhic consciousness (Theosophy), Cosmic consciousness, God-consciousness (Islam, Hinduism), Christ consciousness (New Thought) and Super- Human are expressions used in various spiritual and intellectual traditions to denote the consciousness of a human being who has reached a higher level of development and who has come to know reality as it is (Sanskrit: Yatha bhuta). It also refers to the awareness or knowledge of an 'ultimate reality' which traditional theistic religion has named God and which Gautama Buddha referred to as the unconditioned element. Evolution in this sense is not that which occurs by natural selection over generations of human reproduction but evolution brought about by the application of spiritual knowledge to the conduct of human life, and of the refinement of the mind brought about by spiritual practices. Through the application of such knowledge (traditionally the preserve of the world's great religions) to practical self-management, the awakening and development of faculties dormant in the ordinary human being is achieved. These faculties are aroused by and developed in conjunction with certain virtues such as lucidity, patience, kindness, truthfulness, humility, and forgiveness towards one's fellow man – qualities without which, according to the traditional teachings, higher consciousness is not possible. As an inter-connected group, it is called Collective Consciousness in Philosophy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_conscious...

Get it, bubba?

Atheists are simply lazy people who have not evolved and have never developed the consciousness to experience ultimate reality.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#12324 Jun 24, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for my rant and I would like to comment on some of the other points you bring up. Even if Believers, tonight, stopped being judgmental and interfering they are still a 'menace'. They would still wield political power that determines how, where, when, what research is being done. Creationism, for instance, is not harmless. It divides us. It suggests that Science is wrong about it's most basic conclusions. A species who doesn't know how old their own planet is, isn't going to the stars. They're not going to have limitless fusion power or cures for genital warts.
Free will. Freedom. Therein lies another problem. You can't have 'free will' or 'freedom' if someone else is dictating how you live. When it comes to matters of the heart, mind or 'soul'... nobody has the right. Nobody. Believe me, that's not how I started out here on Topix. I was 'anti-gay' or homophobic or whatever you want to call it. I came to realize that I was merely echoing my Southern Baptist upbringing. It wasn't what I observed, I was acting and reacting to these subjects the way I was taught or some might say, programmed. The realization rankles me and I have made a conscious effort to change.
Anyway ... I'm done.
I don't mind rants :). My boyfriend and I always clash when we have these conversations also. You are right in everything you say. I am just two years into trying to de-program myself per-say and I still have a hard time "understanding" as he would say, that the problem is that religion is not that simple. I always say that everyone should be able to believe what they want, but there will always be programming of children to grow up and have the same beliefs, and there will always be someone that tries to push it onto someone else. I just have a really hard time saying it because I feel like I'm taking away someone else's rights, when at the present time religion is taking people's rights away just the same. I'm still working on myself :)
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#12325 Jun 24, 2013
Hello blubber, why do islamists still hack the pissflaps out of little girls?
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Higher consciousness, also called Super consciousness (Yoga), objective consciousness (Gurdjieff), Buddhic consciousness (Theosophy), Cosmic consciousness, God-consciousness (Islam, Hinduism), Christ consciousness (New Thought) and Super- Human are expressions used in various spiritual and intellectual traditions to denote the consciousness of a human being who has reached a higher level of development and who has come to know reality as it is (Sanskrit: Yatha bhuta). It also refers to the awareness or knowledge of an 'ultimate reality' which traditional theistic religion has named God and which Gautama Buddha referred to as the unconditioned element. Evolution in this sense is not that which occurs by natural selection over generations of human reproduction but evolution brought about by the application of spiritual knowledge to the conduct of human life, and of the refinement of the mind brought about by spiritual practices. Through the application of such knowledge (traditionally the preserve of the world's great religions) to practical self-management, the awakening and development of faculties dormant in the ordinary human being is achieved. These faculties are aroused by and developed in conjunction with certain virtues such as lucidity, patience, kindness, truthfulness, humility, and forgiveness towards one's fellow man – qualities without which, according to the traditional teachings, higher consciousness is not possible. As an inter-connected group, it is called Collective Consciousness in Philosophy
Get it, bubba?
Atheists are simply lazy people who have not evolved and have never developed the consciousness to experience ultimate reality.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#12326 Jun 25, 2013
Lmfao! Funny stuff!

Thanks for the laughs idiot!
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Higher consciousness, also called Super consciousness (Yoga), objective consciousness (Gurdjieff), Buddhic consciousness (Theosophy), Cosmic consciousness, God-consciousness (Islam, Hinduism), Christ consciousness (New Thought) and Super- Human are expressions used in various spiritual and intellectual traditions to denote the consciousness of a human being who has reached a higher level of development and who has come to know reality as it is (Sanskrit: Yatha bhuta). It also refers to the awareness or knowledge of an 'ultimate reality' which traditional theistic religion has named God and which Gautama Buddha referred to as the unconditioned element. Evolution in this sense is not that which occurs by natural selection over generations of human reproduction but evolution brought about by the application of spiritual knowledge to the conduct of human life, and of the refinement of the mind brought about by spiritual practices. Through the application of such knowledge (traditionally the preserve of the world's great religions) to practical self-management, the awakening and development of faculties dormant in the ordinary human being is achieved. These faculties are aroused by and developed in conjunction with certain virtues such as lucidity, patience, kindness, truthfulness, humility, and forgiveness towards one's fellow man – qualities without which, according to the traditional teachings, higher consciousness is not possible. As an inter-connected group, it is called Collective Consciousness in Philosophy

Get it, bubba?

Since: May 11

London, UK

#12327 Jun 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Hello blubber, why do islamists still hack the pissflaps out of little girls?
<quoted text>
1800 CHILDREN were treated on the NHS last year as a result of female genital mutilation.

Since: May 11

London, UK

#12328 Jun 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it, bubba?
So seriously...how much acid did you drop to be able to come up with that solipsistic word-vomit?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#12329 Jun 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it, bubba?
Example of the infanitle lines perpetrated by people who have no proof of god or morals.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#12330 Jun 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it, bubba?
There are many paths to 'holier-than-thou-ism', Grasshopper. We "ordinary human beings" strive to attain virtue armed only with our regular, old and ordinary level of consciousness, thank you very much. One aspect of your reality is crystalline clear ... you think you're better'n us. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you think you're better'n EVERYBODY!! When you stop putting your pants on one leg at a time, Mister Inflated Ego, come talk to us.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#12331 Jun 25, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind rants :). My boyfriend and I always clash when we have these conversations also. You are right in everything you say. I am just two years into trying to de-program myself per-say and I still have a hard time "understanding" as he would say, that the problem is that religion is not that simple. I always say that everyone should be able to believe what they want, but there will always be programming of children to grow up and have the same beliefs, and there will always be someone that tries to push it onto someone else. I just have a really hard time saying it because I feel like I'm taking away someone else's rights, when at the present time religion is taking people's rights away just the same. I'm still working on myself :)
Well, Neytiri, "I_see_you".

Location hidden

#12332 Jun 25, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Example of the infanitle lines perpetrated by people who have no proof of god or morals.
Sure Jr.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#12333 Jun 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it, bubba?
And you can get the same thing by taking a high enough dose of psychedelics. Your choice: LSD, mushrooms, etc.

And *that* shows that minute amounts of *physical chemicals* can induce this experience. And that realization brings down the whole edifice.

This is a problem with certain brains under stress. Look at what is required to produce these experiences of 'higher consciousness'. Inevitably they involve putting the mind and body under stresses beyond the normal. Think about what that does to the brain and wonder if that is more or less than taking 100 micrograms of LSD.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#12334 Jun 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you can get the same thing by taking a high enough dose of psychedelics. Your choice: LSD, mushrooms, etc.
And *that* shows that minute amounts of *physical chemicals* can induce this experience. And that realization brings down the whole edifice.
This is a problem with certain brains under stress. Look at what is required to produce these experiences of 'higher consciousness'. Inevitably they involve putting the mind and body under stresses beyond the normal. Think about what that does to the brain and wonder if that is more or less than taking 100 micrograms of LSD.
Its easier and more comforting for theists egos to tell themselves that they are having a spiritual experience, instead of recognising that they are suffering the symptoms of a mental illness. After all many theists belief that mental illnesses are negative and cannot make you feel good. Of course this is precisely the symptom of the mental illness of faith - you can feel great & be totally out of your mind.

Location hidden

#12335 Jun 25, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Its easier and more comforting for theists egos to tell themselves that they are having a spiritual experience, instead of recognising that they are suffering the symptoms of a mental illness. After all many theists belief that mental illnesses are negative and cannot make you feel good. Of course this is precisely the symptom of the mental illness of faith - you can feel great & be totally out of your mind.
Mental illness this and mental ill was that. You are the one with mental illness because you are so concerned about theists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr One way or another 61,504
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 7 hr Dogen 2,699
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr Dogen 28,323
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Mar 24 IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web