Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14736 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#12088 Jun 21, 2013
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I was also sorry that the great Scottish writer Iain Banks died of cancer the other day. He had a different outlook. Iain said if he was a theist, he'd have been wondering "Why me, god?" As it was, it was just his misfortune. People have different coping strategies.
Aaliyah wrote:
I watched over my atheist farther during the last 3 years of his life and during that time span he became somewhat religious. So all I can say from witnessing this change is that when suffering and death are near you will cry out to god. Maybe not all of us but I believe most of us will. And yes he found comfort in that. Just wanted to pass this on to others. Best wishes to all.
LNC Llin

United States

#12089 Jun 21, 2013
Aaliyah wrote:
I watched over my atheist farther during the last 3 years of his life and during that time span he became somewhat religious. So all I can say from witnessing this change is that when suffering and death are near you will cry out to god. Maybe not all of us but I believe most of us will. And yes he found comfort in that. Just wanted to pass this on to others. Best wishes to all.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
May you and your family find peace.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#12090 Jun 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Always wanted to visit Canada...You gave me one more reason :)
Welcome :P

I have so many friends that are atheists, they outnumber my religious friends.

My theory is that the supposed number of religious people is calculated by number of baptisms, for most of my friends' parents are religious.

If they did a poll though, I bet the numbers would be way lower.

Montreal

#12091 Jun 21, 2013
Aaliyah wrote:
Fry said he wants a tape recorder next to his deathbed so there can be actual proof that he would never pray to an imaginary entity.

Montreal

#12092 Jun 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I got JWed the other week. Extremely pleasant young lady from Africa, plus a really hard faced older English lady.

I asked them if they knew what the Mandelbrot set was. When they said "no", I showed them an Google image search of "mandlebrot set" and explained how simple the mathematics was that generated all that complexity.

Things went OK until I asked why the 10 commandments were in the order they are. Surely it makes god seem insecure? Why does an all powerful god need protecting. The older lady closed down her shutters then, the atmosphere really changed. Their loss.
I might research that more and try it. It sounds like an interesting way to deal with them.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#12093 Jun 21, 2013
Hey you were kind! I would have shown them how the Ten Commandments were stolen from other religions and really angered them.
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I got JWed the other week. Extremely pleasant young lady from Africa, plus a really hard faced older English lady.

I asked them if they knew what the Mandelbrot set was. When they said "no", I showed them an Google image search of "mandlebrot set" and explained how simple the mathematics was that generated all that complexity.

Things went OK until I asked why the 10 commandments were in the order they are. Surely it makes god seem insecure? Why does an all powerful god need protecting. The older lady closed down her shutters then, the atmosphere really changed. Their loss.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#12094 Jun 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Hey you were kind! I would have shown them how the Ten Commandments were stolen from other religions and really angered them.
How about tell is how you snuck your wife in to the US?

“Nature--The Only God We Need”

Since: May 13

Christianity :TheGreatest Evil

#12095 Jun 21, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh great, someone's pretending to be Thinking.
We have a grayboxing little troll from the South who likes to use other people's names in an effort to smear them. What do you expect? He's one of those "good christians."

“Nature--The Only God We Need”

Since: May 13

Christianity :TheGreatest Evil

#12096 Jun 21, 2013
Stop-It-Now- wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty good lie. atheism, paganism, wicca and deists are all religions.
If atheism is a "religion," then "off" is a television station and bald is a hair color.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#12097 Jun 21, 2013
Aaliyah wrote:
Thank you for sharing that. I think in the end we will all try to cling to whatever brings us comfort. I say if it makes someone feel better then more power to that person. If your dad was comforted then that is all that matters.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#12098 Jun 21, 2013
Diana La Strega Regina wrote:
<quoted text>If atheism is a "religion," then "off" is a television station and bald is a hair color.
And illegal wife is legal when you pay? Lol!
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#12099 Jun 21, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if she was bought with government issued food stamps I suppose that would make it officially sanctioned

Montreal

#12100 Jun 21, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
What?

Dude, lay off the alcohol.

Montreal

#12101 Jun 21, 2013
Diana La Strega Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a grayboxing little troll from the South who likes to use other people's names in an effort to smear them. What do you expect? He's one of those "good christians."
Yup, just like the Creationist, EW.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#12102 Jun 21, 2013
RHill wrote:
Atheists are Skeptics on steroids. American's are raised to be a bit skeptical.

My father used to always tell me, "Believe half of what you read and none of what you hear".

Hardly "empty slates" ... we've replaced the vacuum of religious nonsense with palpable facts. Our cups runneth over.

Try to make statements without so many "ism's" ... it reveals your upbringing, of which gullibility must have been a big part.

"Do what they tell you, Son", your Father must have said, "Particularly the guys with flowing robes and quoting holy scriptures!!".
Ans.

If every one in USA have heeded to your father's advice, probably there would not have been any 9/11 or Afghanistan War or Iraq war.

That shows how Skeptic US people are, I can understand they are on steroid though!!

There was no vaccum of religious nonsense, vaccum was created when you removed that and inserted nothing in its place.

For past so many months I am asking all your great scholars to explain what is Atheism and you are even unable to provide it.

If you think that Atheists only believe in "Palpable Facts", then please explain the Creation of this vast Universe present in front of us.

Which "palpable fact" would deny a Powerful force behind it?
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#12103 Jun 21, 2013
Polymath wrote:
Incorrect. Atheists (not all, but many) write on their slate with the most reliable information available: that directly from nature itself.

By comparing what happens in reality to what people claim, we can identify the liars and deceivers.

By excluding things that cannot be verified by observation, we both keep ourselves honest and learn when people are basing their lives on myths rather than reality.
Ans.

Now it is becoming interesting, so Atheists believe in Nature? Please tell us what is this nature and how it came into existence?

Atheists only "pretend" that they believe in Most Reliable Information, but they "lump down" most reasonable and logical information, just because "religions teaches them".

This is very wrong approach , they should analyze each and every statement of religious teachings and then take off which is wrong.

By this "Bull in a China Shop" approach they have done much destruction and built nothing of their won.

Their claim of being "most reasonable" is only in their minds and has no reality.

United States

#12104 Jun 21, 2013
911 was done by radicals in the name of Allah.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

If every one in USA have heeded to your father's advice, probably there would not have been any 9/11 or Afghanistan War or Iraq war.

That shows how Skeptic US people are, I can understand they are on steroid though!!

There was no vaccum of religious nonsense, vaccum was created when you removed that and inserted nothing in its place.

For past so many months I am asking all your great scholars to explain what is Atheism and you are even unable to provide it.

If you think that Atheists only believe in "Palpable Facts", then please explain the Creation of this vast Universe present in front of us.

Which "palpable fact" would deny a Powerful force behind it?

United States

#12105 Jun 21, 2013
We have analyzed each religion and they are all built on delusion. Some are more benign others like Islam are dangerous death cults accepted only by the uneducated and threatened.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

Now it is becoming interesting, so Atheists believe in Nature? Please tell us what is this nature and how it came into existence?

Atheists only "pretend" that they believe in Most Reliable Information, but they "lump down" most reasonable and logical information, just because "religions teaches them".

This is very wrong approach , they should analyze each and every statement of religious teachings and then take off which is wrong.

By this "Bull in a China Shop" approach they have done much destruction and built nothing of their won.

Their claim of being "most reasonable" is only in their minds and has no reality.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

#12106 Jun 22, 2013
Stop-It-Now- wrote:
<quoted text>Now, you are thinking as one who uses his own mind.
Yep, no better way than to post someone else's words and thoughts, to prove you are using your own mind. LOL!

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#12107 Jun 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Still no condemnation from you of your religion's abuse, rape and murderof little girls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 min River Tam 32,441
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min Science 78,701
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr Science 1,410
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web