Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14730 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10950 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too bad the US doesn't "rendition" our pedophiles to the Saudis....
Paedophile to be beheaded and crucified in Saudi Arabia for string of sex attacks where he left toddler to die in desert
A man in Saudi Arabia is to be beheaded and crucified after he raped five children and left one of them, a three-year-old boy, to die in the desert.
An appeal court in the capital Riyadh approved the death sentence handed down in June by judges in the northwestern oasis city of Hail where the convicted 22-year-old man carried out his crimes.
The rapist - who was not named - was arrested several weeks ago as he tried to seize another boy after offering him a ride home from school.
The seven-year-old - who escaped unharmed - helped identify the culprit.
The man’s victims were aged between three and seven. He was said to have lured them into his car as they left school at midday and then drove them to remote desert locations to rape them.
An investigation was launched after a 25-year-old father reported that his three-year-old son was missing and that he suspected the kidnapper to be a male driver of a white four-wheel drive vehicle.
The infant was later found under a scorching sun in the desert where he had died of thirst.
A panel of three judges in Hail sentenced the rapist to death for “abhorrent”  crimes which they said had terrorised the community.
Crucifixion in the conservative desert Kingdom means tying the convict’s body to wooden beams to be displayed to the public after he is decapitated by a professional swordsman.
Saudi Arabia has executed 56 people this year under laws that allow the death penalty for rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12250...
Prohibitions against 'cruel and unusual' punishment is part of a 'human rights package' that needs to apply to EVERYONE to have meaning. Not getting raped is in there, as is not getting beheaded. Sucks sometimes, as certain crimes, such as the neglect, exploitation or molestation of children are so heinous as to cry out for the harshest possible penalty.

Some of us live in societies where life is actually 'worth living'. We try to reserve the 'ultimate penalty' for the 'ultimate crime' of taking someone's life. It's far from a perfect system, but it's the best Humanity has managed to come up with so far. I would not brag on a society where "apostasy" is given the same weight as murder.

There seem to be some practices (thighing) that we would consider rape and child abuse of the worst sort that is condoned by your religion. Some of our pedophiles would probably love it over there.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10951 May 20, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. I do not know what Oogah-Boogah is doing to you. I am concerened with my post and how you answer it.
Yes prophet of God is very "desirable" post that is why so many false claimant rose in the past. But no one remembers them any more, only the Real Prophets of God have got sizable followings.
2. So if "you" do not think that your country is engaged in illegal wars and has killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people….whatever "we" say has no meaning for you?
Then why should "We" consider, your views on religion binding to us?
3. Your "one sided" judgment that our females are held "prisoners" does not hold any water. What about Muslim females in western world, who is keeping them "prisoners"?
We all are "prisoners" and our Lord is our Creator, we are His Slave Servants, both male and female.
This is the rebuttal you will get from me, take it or leave it!!
1. So ... a sizable, devoted following makes one a 'real' prophet?

2. To my knowledge, our various military actions are 'legal' within the conventions of international law. Rogue states do not participate in international law.

I suggest you look into your own heart for what is 'binding'.

3. Your response is absurd and I shall leave it!

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10952 May 20, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Still no comment from you about your religion abusing, raping and murdering little girls.
You atheist bigots are as pathetically ignorant as fundamentalist bigots, bubba.

PEDOPHILE SERIAL RAPIST SENTENCED TO DEATH

April 30, 2013: A Saudi court sentenced a local man to death after he was convicted of raping and torturing eight girls aged between eight and 12 years.
The court in the western Red Sea port of Jeddah found the man, in his 30s, guilty of stalking little girls, forcing them in his car and taking them to his house.
The defendant has denied he committed such crimes but witnesses and DNA tests proved he was the rapist.

Newspapers said the man, who is married with four children, had stalked little girls at shopping malls and lured them with sweets as they stepped away from parents.

Executions in Saudi Arabia, which strictly enforces Islamic law, are carried out by the sword but the Gulf Kingdom is planning to allow shooting by a firing squad.

http://www.handsoffcain.info/news/index.php...

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10953 May 20, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
A very interesting post. Truth does not set you free, but brings you closer to your Creator and makes the path to paradise easy.
Setting you free is an allegorical statement.
There are lots of allegorical statements in Christian theology. And people derive their own meaning from them.
That is why we see so many different sects and denomination in Christianity. These divisions are mostly based on interpretations of these allegorical statements.
Our Prophet said "Truth lead one to piousness and piousness leads one to Paradise. A man speaks truth, till he is recorded as "Truthful" in the records of Allah…"
Jesus' teaching, i.e. "truth will set you free", is NOT an allegorical statement and this concept is far older than Christian theology.

Like Christianity, Islam has many different branches and many different sects within those branches with many different imans putting their own spin on what Mohammed said. The Sufi branch of Islam holds that seeking truth is how man evolves into higher states of consciousness and frees himself from bondage to false illusions--very similar to the teachings of Gautama Buddha and Jesus.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10954 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Prohibitions against 'cruel and unusual' punishment is part of a 'human rights package' that needs to apply to EVERYONE to have meaning. Not getting raped is in there, as is not getting beheaded. Sucks sometimes, as certain crimes, such as the neglect, exploitation or molestation of children are so heinous as to cry out for the harshest possible penalty.
Some of us live in societies where life is actually 'worth living'. We try to reserve the 'ultimate penalty' for the 'ultimate crime' of taking someone's life. It's far from a perfect system, but it's the best Humanity has managed to come up with so far. I would not brag on a society where "apostasy" is given the same weight as murder.
There seem to be some practices (thighing) that we would consider rape and child abuse of the worst sort that is condoned by your religion. Some of our pedophiles would probably love it over there.
You keep regurgitating your Islamophobic propaganda even when given unequivocal proof that Islamic law calls for the execution of pedophile perverts. You're pathetic, bubba.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#10956 May 20, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
The Great Agnostic - Robert Green Ingersoll
He was a Humanist and authored his own creed:“Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.” He delivered a rousing speech in opposition to the Supreme Court’s overturning of the Civil Rights Act of 1875. Introduced in Washington, D.C. by Frederick Douglass, Ingersoll’s speech was so popular that he was drafted to deliver it again a few days later to another full auditorium.
He was a secularist and advocate of free speech.“I deny the right of any man, of any number of men, of any church, or any State, to put a padlock on the lips — to make the tongue a convict.… Blasphemy is the word that the majority hisses into the ear of the few.” This is from the 1887 trial for blasphemy brought by the State of New Jersey against C. B. Reynolds, whom Ingersoll, the lawyer, represented.
Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)
Ministers wonder how I can be wicked enough to attack the Bible.
I will tell them:
This book, the Bible, has persecuted, even unto death, the wisest and the best.
This book stayed and stopped the onward movement of the human race.
This book poisoned the fountains of learning and misdirected the energies of man.
This book is the enemy of freedom, the support of slavery. This book sowed the seeds of hatred in families and nations, fed the flames of war, and impoverished the world. This book is the breastwork of kings and tyrants -- the enslaver of women and children.
This book has corrupted parliaments and courts.
This book has made colleges and universities the teachers of error and the haters of science.
This book has filled Christendom with hateful, cruel, ignorant and warring sects.
This book taught men to kill their fellows for religion's sake.
This book funded the Inquisition, invented the instruments of torture, built the dungeons in which the good and loving languished, forged the chains that rusted in their flesh, erected the scaffolds whereon they died.
This book piled fagots about the feet of the just.
This book drove reason from the minds of millions and filled the asylums with the insane.
This book has caused fathers and mothers to shed the blood of their babes.
This book was the auction block on which the slave-mother stood when she was sold from her child.
This book filled the sails of the slave-trader and made merchandise of human flesh.
This book lighted the fires that burned "witches" and "wizards."
This book filled the darkness with ghouls and ghosts, and the bodies of men and women with devils.
This book polluted the souls of men with the infamous dogma of eternal pain. This book made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes.
This book filled nations with hermits, monks and nuns -- with the pious and the useless. This book placed the ignorant and unclean saint above the philosopher and philanthropist.
This book taught man to despise the joys of this life, that he might be happy in another -- to waste this world for the sake of the next.
I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress.
Let me ask the ministers one question: How can you be wicked enough to defend this book?
http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ro...
This is truely one of the best posts I have read in here ever. How anyone can defend the Bible is not much of a mystery when you realize everyone who does so is ignorant of its contents.
"...shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?" (Amos 3:6).

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#10957 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep regurgitating your Islamophobic propaganda even when given unequivocal proof that Islamic law calls for the execution of pedophile perverts. You're pathetic, bubba.
JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#10958 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Christianity, Islam has many different branches and many different sects within ....
Jesus said,“So there will be one flock, one shepherd”(John 10:16)

You mean Jesus is a liar?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#10960 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' teaching, i.e. "truth will set you free", is NOT an allegorical statement and this concept is far older than Christian theology.
Like Christianity, Islam has many different branches and many different sects within those branches with many different imans putting their own spin on what Mohammed said. The Sufi branch of Islam holds that seeking truth is how man evolves into higher states of consciousness and frees himself from bondage to false illusions--very similar to the teachings of Gautama Buddha and Jesus.
Ah, yes, the final frontier, the journey inward, to know the truth about ones self and the reason each of us exists.

Man lives under the illusion that he can do, so this unconscious man dreams of higher states of consciousness and that he is freeing himself from his bondage which he doesn't know is himself.

Are you participating in what the Universe is doing?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#10961 May 20, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
I think atheism will replace religion, but i'd say not in the next 200 years so its pretty futile, I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
If religion becomes an emotional connection to the reality that Science is discovering about the facts concerning how it came about that humanity was able to arise in this bio-sphere the two will merge and become one.

Of course religion must give up this silly idea of a creator; THERE IS NO GOD! If there was it would be a simple matter to prove it and convince us all.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10962 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"
So you prefer to regurgitate atheist propaganda against Jesus.....?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaha

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10963 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
If religion becomes an emotional connection to the reality that Science is discovering about the facts concerning how it came about that humanity was able to arise in this bio-sphere the two will merge and become one.
Of course religion must give up this silly idea of a creator; THERE IS NO GOD! If there was it would be a simple matter to prove it and convince us all.
This is reality, bubba.

On a subatomic level, the only difference between you and a steaming pile of dog feces is the frequency at which the entangled particles of each are vibrating.....that and dog feces smells better than your posts.

Get it?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10964 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep regurgitating your Islamophobic propaganda even when given unequivocal proof that Islamic law calls for the execution of pedophile perverts. You're pathetic, bubba.
You seem an authority on Islam. Perhaps you can explain why you or MUQ can not seem to regurgitate a statement on this thighing business, like ... how prevalent is it? Is being 'thighed' by Uncle Mohamed just a normal part of a girl growing up over there or what? The Islamic courts do rule harshly on matters where, in many cases, we get a 'slap on the wrist'. I'm trying to understand how 'thighing', multilation and forced marriage of prepubescent females is condoned by the religious establishment while being punished so severely by the courts. It's 'okay' if you are related? Or if it's an 'honor' thing? Explain, please.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#10965 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
This is truely one of the best posts I have read in here ever. How anyone can defend the Bible is not much of a mystery when you realize everyone who does so is ignorant of its contents.
"...shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?" (Amos 3:6).
Thank you!

Ingersoll was a truly amazing man.
The link I provided contains all of his material.

In the nineteenth century, despite the much stronger influence of Protestantism and the growing influence of Catholicism, the formidable nature of the challenge posed by contemporary science, especially biology and geology, to biblical literalism may be inferred from the fact that the young William Jennings Bryan, while a student at Illinois College, wrote a letter to Ingersoll asking for his advice about dealing with the emerging contradictions between his education and his faith.

This approach by Bryan to Ingersoll is not entirely surprising, since Bryan was born in 1860 in Marion County, Illinois, where Ingersoll, like Lincoln, began his career as a lawyer.

By the time Bryan was a college student in the 1870s, Ingersoll had also begun his career as an opponent of organized religion.

The man who would one day be known as “the great commoner” had heard the great agnostic speak, although Bryan himself would follow the more histrionic and sentimental style of evangelical preachers, better suited to his message than Ingersoll’s matter-of-fact way of speaking to an audience.

The connection between old-time religion and politics, however, was the reverse of today’s close relationship between religion and economic conservatism. Bryan was the leader of the entwined forces of economic and religious populism until his death in 1925 (shortly after the Scopes trial). His famous 1896 “cross of gold” speech had embodied the philosophical linkage between turn-of-the-century evangelical religion and the desire for economic (though not racial) justice.

Bryan would undoubtedly have been astonished had someone told him in the 1890s that a century in the future, Americans who upheld the literal truth of Genesis would be equally committed to the idea that the rich should pay lower taxes and that corporations should be treated as people.

The great religious and political paradox of the golden age of freethought was that even as the proportion of freethinkers and “religious liberals” increased, politicians were required to pay greater obeisance to religion than they had been either in the founding generation or at various earlier points in the nineteenth century.

President Andrew Jackson, at a time when Paine’s reputation had been obliterated except among freethinkers, declared that “Thomas Paine needs no monument made with hands” because he “has erected a monument in the hearts of all lovers of liberty.”

Lincoln—unlike William McKinley during the Spanish-American War—had explicitly rejected the claim that “God is on our side” during the Civil War.

He pointedly observed in his Second Inaugural Address that both sides “read the same Bible, and pray to the same God; and each invokes his aid against the other,” adding that the prayers of both the North and the South could not be answered and that neither had been answered fully.

For Ingersoll, the primary danger of entanglement between religion and politics was that invoking divine authority would simply shut down discussion on controversial issues.

The requirement that politicians be religious, or at least appear to be religious, ruled out a significant group of independent thinkers from office. Ingersoll decried the public religiosity required of politicians in a statement that is just as applicable today as it was then.

Want more on RG Ingersoll?

http://billmoyers.com/content/excerpt-the-gre...

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10966 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem an authority on Islam. Perhaps you can explain why you or MUQ can not seem to regurgitate a statement on this thighing business, like ... how prevalent is it? Is being 'thighed' by Uncle Mohamed just a normal part of a girl growing up over there or what? The Islamic courts do rule harshly on matters where, in many cases, we get a 'slap on the wrist'. I'm trying to understand how 'thighing', multilation and forced marriage of prepubescent females is condoned by the religious establishment while being punished so severely by the courts. It's 'okay' if you are related? Or if it's an 'honor' thing? Explain, please.
There is no "thighing business" going on anywhere except in your perverted little pea brain, bubba.

Do you obsessively post this sick garbage because you're a closet pedophile and these are your favorite sexual fantasies for your compulsive masturbation problem?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10967 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
If religion becomes an emotional connection to the reality that Science is discovering about the facts concerning how it came about that humanity was able to arise in this bio-sphere the two will merge and become one.
Of course religion must give up this silly idea of a creator; THERE IS NO GOD! If there was it would be a simple matter to prove it and convince us all.
Very good points.
Science is exploring itself more and more and open to new concepts, arising from things such as 'observer effects' and 'quantum theories'. Where as religion has reached an evolutionary en-pass.
Conveniently, the Bible has escape clauses written in, such as 'do not put your lord God to the test' and 'God has protected the Word so that no falsehoods occur'. And conveniently it's all about 'faith'
Reckon there would have to be a major change in humankind for any type of religion to cease, as opposed to merely being replaced. People feel the need for crutches and the idea of no supreme being/beings is too much for some. Could be done though, psychologists are quite capable of enabling a person to find purpose and meaning without religion.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10968 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "thighing business" going on anywhere except in your perverted little pea brain, bubba.
Do you obsessively post this sick garbage because you're a closet pedophile and these are your favorite sexual fantasies for your compulsive masturbation problem?
Okay. Poor choice of words. No 'thighing business'... how about 'matter' or 'topic'? Frankly, I'd never heard of the practice until it was brought up here. I also agree that it is 'sick garbage'. Considering that we are occasionally weighing the differing morality between Theist and Atheists it's important to understand how prevalent this 'sick garbage' is in 'modern' Islamic society. You could simply say "it's an ancient disgrace that's no longer practiced" or "we have expunged such evil practices from our religion" and we could just move on, but I'm starting to suspect that you can't do that.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10969 May 20, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good points.
Science is exploring itself more and more and open to new concepts, arising from things such as 'observer effects' and 'quantum theories'. Where as religion has reached an evolutionary en-pass.
Conveniently, the Bible has escape clauses written in, such as 'do not put your lord God to the test' and 'God has protected the Word so that no falsehoods occur'. And conveniently it's all about 'faith'
Reckon there would have to be a major change in humankind for any type of religion to cease, as opposed to merely being replaced. People feel the need for crutches and the idea of no supreme being/beings is too much for some. Could be done though, psychologists are quite capable of enabling a person to find purpose and meaning without religion.
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers, p. 107)

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10970 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers, p. 107)
What a crock.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#10971 May 20, 2013
No matter how much you lie and try to revise history, religitards like you f**king boys up the Gary didn't get Apollo 11 to the Moon.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers, p. 107)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 28 min DanFromSmithville 40,790
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 37 min DanFromSmithville 16,274
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr _Susan_ 256,084
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Into The Night 274
A Universe from Nothing? 2 hr Eagle 12 81
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Mikko 3,771
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 hr _Susan_ 20,620
More from around the web