Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14659 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10819 May 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But were completely unable to determine when the breaks would be, how long they would be, where they would be seen, etc. In contrast, QM makes specific predictions about a great many things and makes specific predictions about the *probabilities* of others. In all observations that have been done, the predictions of QM have been validated. That, to me, implies understanding.
I had a boss ask me, one time, during a quarterly 'review'... "Are you a radio technician or a radio mechanic?". A subtle but important difference. QM, as the name implies, suggests that we are just at the 'mechanic' stage. I'm sure, one day, there will be a QT tweaking the Quantum Entangled Transceiver on board some far flung, multi-generational starship, trying to pick up the latest hockey scores from Terra.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10820 May 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem in *all* these cases is that someone has a dogma that they want to force on other people. Stalin used the known tactics of religion in order to support and promote his power. And power, not ideology, was his primary concern. In a very real sense, communism in the Soviet Union (and in North Korea today) is just another type of religion: accepting a viewpoint not because of free and rational inquiry, but because of "received" knowledge that *must* be accepted or the authorities will kill you.
So, while atheist in philosophy, Stalin was very religious in beliefs and tactics.
Atheism IS a religion. The US courts have ruled that it's a religion.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10821 May 16, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine! Prove it! Crack open a quantum door to one of the other multiverses.... maybe to the one where you realize I have a point.
Why is it I'm reminded of a fundie saying "Punch a hole in the universe to the other side and prove there's no God!!!"

?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10822 May 16, 2013
Israel has several mosques in it. How many Jewish synagogues are in Saudi Arabia again?
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Besides the fact that you failed to offer any proof that the Islamic religion promotes or approves of pimps, prostitution or drug dealers, your post empirical evidence that stupidity is not caused by belief in a deity, bubba.

You could argue that the Jewish Talmud tacitly approves of and promotes robbing, murdering, raping, maiming, enslaving or selling any kind of poison to non-Jews of any color but there's no proof that any other religion, including Islam, embraces that dogma....

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10823 May 16, 2013
I notice you still can't answer how many Jewish synagogues are in Saudi Arabia. After all Israel allows several mosques in their country.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>You believe a god you say you don't believe in did something....? I notice that you still haven't acquired any critical thinking skills, bubba.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10824 May 16, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe a god you say you don't believe in did something....? I notice that you still haven't acquired any critical thinking skills, bubba.
Oh, it's not my critical thinking skills that are the problem here my young padawan. Belief is not necessary on my part, and whether your particular Jewish wizard exists or not is irrelevant to the point I'm making - that being that fundies believe a totally effed up psychopath is "good".

That kind of thinking is what led screwed up aholes to strap bombs to their chests and fly planes into buildings.

Texas, USA

#10825 May 16, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides the fact that you failed to offer any proof that the Islamic religion promotes or approves of pimps, prostitution or drug dealers, your post empirical evidence that stupidity is not caused by belief in a deity, bubba.
You could argue that the Jewish Talmud tacitly approves of and promotes robbing, murdering, raping, maiming, enslaving or selling any kind of poison to non-Jews of any color but there's no proof that any other religion, including Islam, embraces that dogma....
I've been to a titty bar in Damascus and flown on planes full of Russian hookers serving the Middle East. They were not there servicing the ex-pats, Bubba. While these observations don't provide much insight into Islam, it does speak of the innate humanity of those enslaved by it. That is ... it's all a sham. They're no 'holier than thou' than anybody else, no more empowered to condemn, condone, chastise or criticize than you, me or Jesus F. Christ. The biggest weakness in all religions is that they are composed of humans. You can shine, dress up, roll around on the floor, wave your arms around or bang your head in perfect unison and the fact remains ... monkeys. Just monkeys trained to put on a show. Ezdzit wanna banana?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10826 May 16, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it I'm reminded of a fundie saying "Punch a hole in the universe to the other side and prove there's no God!!!"
?
I'm not at all sure it would prove the absence of God, but it would certainly demonstrate a true understanding of QM.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10827 May 16, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
... only to the point that it can be considered that way for legal purposes pertaining to religious freedom.

Other than that they need not follow any particular religious doctrines.

#10828 May 16, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in the sense that "Freedom OF religion" includes "Freedom FROM religion".

Texas, USA

#10829 May 16, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Similarly, a vacuum is the 'atmosphere' of Luna.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10830 May 16, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not at all sure it would prove the absence of God, but it would certainly demonstrate a true understanding of QM.
Which you don't have, yet you're arguing with someone who's been trained on the subject. It's *exactly* the same mistake the fundies make. Incredulity is not a valid argument.

Since: May 11

UK

#10831 May 16, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Similarly, a vacuum is the 'atmosphere' of Luna.
and bald is a hair colour...

#10832 May 16, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Which you don't have, yet you're arguing with someone who's been trained on the subject. It's *exactly* the same mistake the fundies make. Incredulity is not a valid argument.
Argument from "incredulity" ... I can not imagine how this could be so, therefore it must not be so.

I have offered no such Argument from "incredulity", I merely observed that some conclusions based on current mathematical tools are superficially ludicrous. Since no one has been able to demonstrate they are not ludicrous, then it is logical to assume they are until proven otherwise.

The fact is that man made mathematical tools are quite limited and often a special class of numbers and operations has to be invented to adequately describe a natural phenomenon ... imaginary number systems, for example. Yes, I know they are quite real, that is just the official name of the numbering system.

This is the argument from authority fallacy. Just because someone has a degree in something, that doesn't automatically make them correct or all knowledgeable on the topic. A conversation with a PhD in Theology should demonstrate that quite clearly.

Or more concisely, your multiverses are as imaginary as the Chirsturd's Gawd and will remain so until you can prove otherwise.

Now, please do me a favor and quietly pound sand in your azz.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#10833 May 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I combined your posts on the two threads into one post and post a common reply.
01. You are overreacting sister, that too in a hurry and without thinking.
When I spoke of God not speaking "directly to any human" is from the point of "legislation". I.e. No one can come and claim that "God said to me so and so, so please follow me".
This is type of revelation, which is only send to prophets of God.
As for as people being in "touch with God and feeling His presence and having metaphysical connection with Him, all these are possible, but no rules and / or regulations can be derived from such personal experiences".
We do not worship Quran, this is again your misunderstanding Sister. Quran is book of revelation from God, it is Word of God, but we do not worship it, we worship only God.
If any one worships any book, he or she is on the wrong path.
02. Jesus as a Prophet of God spoke to God thru the medium of Holy Spirit, who was an angel of God.
It was later when Christians made this "Holy Spirit" as their "personal servant" so to say and do all "odd jobs" fro them.
This is not what is the Islamic concept of Holy Spirit. He was no one else but Archangel Gabriel, who used to come to Jesus with messages from God, and he used to come to every prophet of God, including the last and final prophet.
That is why Sister, I asked you to read Quran and learn about Islam, because accusing us of worshipping this and that.
We Muslims do not worship anything else except God / Allah in purest form and do not associate any one either in His personality or in His attributes and in His Powers.
In Islam Sister, you will find pure monotheism and nothing else.
Rules are man-made. They have nothing to do with God.
Lincoln

United States

#10834 May 16, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been to a titty bar in Damascus and flown on planes full of Russian hookers serving the Middle East. They were not there servicing the ex-pats, Bubba. While these observations don't provide much insight into Islam, it does speak of the innate humanity of those enslaved by it. That is ... it's all a sham. They're no 'holier than thou' than anybody else, no more empowered to condemn, condone, chastise or criticize than you, me or Jesus F. Christ. The biggest weakness in all religions is that they are composed of humans. You can shine, dress up, roll around on the floor, wave your arms around or bang your head in perfect unison and the fact remains ... monkeys. Just monkeys trained to put on a show. Ezdzit wanna banana?
The young Chinese have brothers and sisters as the one child rule is Not enforced except on western news programs

Texas, USA

#10835 May 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
The young Chinese have brothers and sisters as the one child rule is Not enforced except on western news programs
Okay. Not sure where that's coming from. Does bring up memories of a return flight from China I was on. The plane had a number of young American couples who went to China to adopt. That was good. What was bad was the babies. They didn't cry, they were like little zombies. The backs of their heads were flat. I was told it was because the babies were not 'stimulated'. Oh, they were fed and changed I suppose, but not played with, cuddled, talked to ... the stuff 'wanted' babies receive in abundance. My heart burst with pride for the couples who were rescuing these children and broke knowing many thousands (or more) are allowed to what? Simply expire? I don't know. I was assured that after a couple months of 'normal' stimulation the babies would resume their development and be quite healthy.

Life is very cheap in China. The 'one child rule' doesn't work when you need male children to work the fields. Female newborns are often drowned or otherwise disposed of, making the babies I saw on the plane some of the lucky ones. Maybe it's gotten better in light of their new wealth.

Texas, USA

#10836 May 16, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Argument from "incredulity" ... I can not imagine how this could be so, therefore it must not be so.
I have offered no such Argument from "incredulity", I merely observed that some conclusions based on current mathematical tools are superficially ludicrous. Since no one has been able to demonstrate they are not ludicrous, then it is logical to assume they are until proven otherwise.
The fact is that man made mathematical tools are quite limited and often a special class of numbers and operations has to be invented to adequately describe a natural phenomenon ... imaginary number systems, for example. Yes, I know they are quite real, that is just the official name of the numbering system.
This is the argument from authority fallacy. Just because someone has a degree in something, that doesn't automatically make them correct or all knowledgeable on the topic. A conversation with a PhD in Theology should demonstrate that quite clearly.
Or more concisely, your multiverses are as imaginary as the Chirsturd's Gawd and will remain so until you can prove otherwise.
Now, please do me a favor and quietly pound sand in your azz.
Oh come on Ooogah ... there's a very satisfying elegance about the multiverse business. Besides, there are interesting indicators in the (very) large scale distribution of matter in our Universe. That combined with these QM effects are tantalizing hints that we may be imbedded in something much grander than we have been led to believe. It's not much but should elevate the matter out of the realm of mere imagination. I know the professionals can't speculate wildly and I respect that, fortunately, the rest of us are not likewise constrained. Science has already shown, quite convincingly, our total insignificance, to the dismay of the godbots. A multiverse would simply amplify that effect and to our advantage.
what is wrong with you

Chicago, IL

#10837 May 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
No show observable proof oh screen name changer.
<quoted text>
?
prove what, their anger outweighs reason? Read the thread title, so much for freedom in their world.
d pantz

Chicago, IL

#10838 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Speak only for yourself, straw man.
<quoted text>
I already stated I'm agnostic. Only I don't call things I can't explain "junk" I just say I don't know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 29 min Uncle Sam 239,076
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr NoahLovesU 7,305
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr NoahLovesU 7,453
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 3 hr hpcaban 30
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 14 hr thetruth 101
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
More from around the web