Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14712 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10433 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:

“I see a clock, but I cannot envision the clockmaker. The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions, so how can it conceive of a God, before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one?”
Albert Einstein

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.(Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
(Albert Einstein, Obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.
(Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? 2001, chapter 3.)
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

#10434 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”
Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said an "attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

And like me...a Humanist

Einstein was a Humanist and a supporter of the Ethical Culture movement. He served on the advisory board of the First Humanist Society of New York.

For the seventy-fifth anniversary of the New York Society for Ethical Culture, he stated that the idea of Ethical Culture embodied his personal conception of what is most valuable and enduring in religious idealism. He observed, "Without 'ethical culture' there is no salvation for humanity."

He was an honorary associate of the British Humanist organization, the Rationalist Press Association and its journal was among the items present on his desk at his death.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10435 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
The Global Consciousness Project
Uh, yeah, great idea bub. Then put creo's in charge of it.

Which would kinda defeat the purpose really, wouldn't it?(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10436 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:

“I see a clock, but I cannot envision the clockmaker. The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions, so how can it conceive of a God, before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one?”
Albert Einstein
Einstein was neither atheist nor theist. So to appeal to his authority to support your baseless religious opinions is... what?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10437 May 8, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting stuff. Do you believe in mysticism?
Yes he does.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10438 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."
Albert Einstein
I see fundies have not yet understood the concept of metaphors.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#10439 May 8, 2013
Naturally he won't answer you.
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Einstein was neither atheist nor theist. So to appeal to his authority to support your baseless religious opinions is... what?
Lincoln

United States

#10440 May 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said an "attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."
And like me...a Humanist
Einstein was a Humanist and a supporter of the Ethical Culture movement. He served on the advisory board of the First Humanist Society of New York.
For the seventy-fifth anniversary of the New York Society for Ethical Culture, he stated that the idea of Ethical Culture embodied his personal conception of what is most valuable and enduring in religious idealism. He observed, "Without 'ethical culture' there is no salvation for humanity."
He was an honorary associate of the British Humanist organization, the Rationalist Press Association and its journal was among the items present on his desk at his death.
Albert Einstein was persecuted by the Nazis.
USA took him in as a refugee.
YAY for the U S A !!!

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10441 May 8, 2013
“I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws, but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations.”

Albert Einstein

United States

#10442 May 8, 2013
I do not believe in a personal god. Albert Einstein
ezdzit wrote:
“I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws, but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations.”

Albert Einstein

United States of America

#10443 May 8, 2013
“In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views!”

— Einstein - quoted in Jammer, p. 97

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10444 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
“In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views!”
Fine, he wasn't an atheist, but he didn't believe in YOUR god either.

So what?

United States of America

#10445 May 8, 2013
“The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer.”

— Albert Einstein

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10446 May 8, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, he wasn't an atheist, but he didn't believe in YOUR god either.
So what?
He's just going to keep spamming altered quotes from Einstein.
He won't answer.
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

#10447 May 8, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Albert Einstein was persecuted by the Nazis.
USA took him in as a refugee.
YAY for the U S A !!!
Einstein was born a Jew.

Hitler persecuted Jews so he left Germany before it got worse.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/people/p...

Einstein arrived in the USA on October 17 1933. He was 54 years old. The new Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton had offered him a post, and Princeton became his permanent home.

He never returned to Europe. Shortly after Einstein arrived, a friend said 'it was as if something had died in him. He did not laugh any more'.

His greatest achievement was the warning he gave FDR in 1939

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/fe...

National ArchivesLetter from Albert Einstein to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt about the possible construction of nuclear bombs.

Old Grove Rd.
Nassau Point
Peconic, Long Island
August 2nd, 1939

F.D. Roosevelt
President of the United States
White House
Washington, D.C.

Sir:
Some recent work by E. Fermi and L. Szilard, which has been communicated to me in manuscript, leads me to expect that the element uranium may be turned into a new and important source of energy in the immediate future. Certain aspects of the situation which has arisen seem to call for watchfulness and, if necessary, quick action on the part of the administration. I believe therefore that it is my duty to bring to your attention the following facts and recommendations:

In the course of the last four months it has been made probable -- through the work of Joliot in France as well as Fermi and Szilard in America -- that it may become possible to set up a nuclear chain reaction in a large mass of uranium, by which vast amounts of power and large quantities of new radium like elements would be generated. Now it appears almost certain that this could be achieved in the immediate future.

This new phenomenon would also lead to the construction of bombs, and it is conceivable -- though much less certain -- that extremely powerful bombs of a new type may thus be constructed. A single bomb of this type, carried by boat and exploded in a port, might very well destroy the whole port together with some of the surrounding territory. However, such bombs might very well prove to be too heavy for transportation by air.

The United States has only very poor [illegible] of uranium in moderate quantities. There is some good ore in Canada and the former Czechoslovakia, while the most important source of Uranium is Belgian Congo.

In view of this situation you may think it desirable to have some permanent contact maintained between the Administration and the group of physicists working on chain reactions in America.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10448 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
-- Albert Einstein,

"I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist."

- Albert Einstein, letter to Guy H. Raner Jr, July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism;

Your creationist lies are no match for the bitter truth.

Also, your argument from authority fails entirely - makes no difference whether Einstein believed or didn't - YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF GOD - so sh*t the f*ck up you creationist troll.

Lexington, KY

#10449 May 8, 2013
It must be Lincoln's puppet. I wonder why these Christians are so desperate they resort to all these sock puppets?
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>He's just going to keep spamming altered quotes from Einstein.
He won't answer.
MrC

UK

#10450 May 8, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
“The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer.”
— Albert Einstein
So he believed believers were bigots....you think he considered himself a bigot? He certainly considered you a bigot.

Einstein would probably have called you 'as dense as Osmium' for posting that particular quote in support of your position...but then it's no mystery that you're dense...but not very sharp.

United States of America

#10451 May 8, 2013
“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Albert Einstein

Lexington, KY

#10452 May 8, 2013
Still editing his quotes I see.

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. Albert Einstein, 1954
ezdzit wrote:
Albert Einstein

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 20 min JustASkeptic 12,528
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr -Stray Dog 47,772
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr -Stray Dog 247,281
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 2 hr Shizle 53
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 3 hr thetruth 4
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 11 hr thetruth 19
Proof of God for the Atheist 11 hr thetruth 100
More from around the web