Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14735 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#10373 May 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion?
Dear Allah – A Poem
Written by Hassan. A narration by Nesrin.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Dear Allah,
I hope you get this letter, as I’m in a great deal of doubt.
I don’t get your Divine Plan, what’s it all about?
There you are, before a creation to fill
Nothing but Allah, he, himself and his will,
Perhaps you were lonely, though even then you knew.
You’d create angels, to obey and worship you.
Maybe this wasn’t enough, you were not amused,
But why you created Satan, just leaves me bemused
You gave man a mind and a freewill to choose
Then demanded he believe in irrational, contradictory clues
While keeping yourself hidden from all verification
Threatening torture if we don’t prostrate in supplication
You sent prophets and books to a patch of land
And miracles galore to that sacred area of sand
But before man can scientifically record and corroborate
You decide communications must now mysteriously terminate
You say you are testing mankind — to see who is true
Though saint and sinner, you already knew
But worse than this is the consequence of this test
It’s results are iniquitous — perverse at best
Those, who accept on faith, myths handed down
Will enjoy eternal bliss and never have to frown
While those who insist on reasoning with their brain
Will be sent to the fire of Hell to suffer eternal pain
Dear Allah none of this makes sense to me
Please tell me if there is something I’ve failed to see
And I don’t understand when so many suffer and die
What is the reason — I cannot see why?
Was it a test for the baby, her father or mother
Or was she sacrificed to test someone other?
When you planned all this did you count every tear
Was your ultimate purpose that we tremble in fear
And when all are in Heaven or Hell — as dictated by fate
Will you sit back on your throne to shouts of “Allah is Great”?
I don't think so ;)
Who do you think I am?

An Einstein or Newton to give opinion on outpourings of "every Tom, Dick and Harry"

Have you no other occupation than to search for obscure poems form more obscure poets?

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#10375 May 6, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>Agnostics are wimps!

How about 'evidence' that believing offers no special protections ...

" http://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/churchfires.... ;
Hey there, I did some fishing at Guaymace, Mexico. It was really cool! Caught lots of tuna and drank lots of beer. Amazing vacation.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10376 May 6, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think I am?
An Einstein or Newton to give opinion on outpourings of "every Tom, Dick and Harry"
Have you no other occupation than to search for obscure poems form more obscure poets?
Spoken like a true coward.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10377 May 6, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there, I did some fishing at Guaymace, Mexico. It was really cool! Caught lots of tuna and drank lots of beer. Amazing vacation.
Sounds pretty awesome!

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#10378 May 6, 2013
Did you see how that champion for moderate Muslims in America beheaded his wife and then bragged that Allah had him do it?

Still waiting for your positive definition for an infidel as you said all terms must have a positive definition.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Who do you think I am?

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10379 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Is it your self "concocted" definition, or has support of all Atheists?(or majority of them any how)?

Would to please try to provide the explanation in Common English that "dummies" like me can understand!

It seems like some one "trying to define Trinity", the words used are English but they make no sense whatsoever!!

It was a Nice try though, use words that sound great but have no meaning!!
That's because the trinity is a concept in a fairy tale that's pretty hard to explain, whereas atheism takes just one sentence to explain; a lack of belief in a deity.

Montreal

#10380 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Is it your self "concocted" definition, or has support of all Atheists?(or majority of them any how)?

Would to please try to provide the explanation in Common English that "dummies" like me can understand!

It seems like some one "trying to define Trinity", the words used are English but they make no sense whatsoever!!

It was a Nice try though, use words that sound great but have no meaning!!
Forgot to add:
If you can't understand a simple sentence like that, then you far too stupid and none of us could ever explain it to you.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10381 May 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
{post from August 2012}People pray when they don't understand the world, and when they are fearful of it for lack of control.
A partial list of reasons for why atheism does better in first world countries than third world countries ... include:
First world citizens are better educated, more intelligent, have better access to information and the media, are healthier, more urbanized, and are more socially and economically secure, all of which undermine religiosity by increasing ones sense of understanding, safety, independence and control.
...:
Highly religious countries (Barber, 2012):
•Are poorer.
•They are less urbanized.
•Have lower levels of education.
•They have less exposure to electronic media that increase intelligence (Barber, 2006).
•Experience a heavier load of infectious diseases that impair brain function.
•Suffer more from low birth weights.
Have worse child nutrition.
Do a poor job of controlling environmental pollutants such as lead that reduce IQ.
Sad to say these I think are the real reasons religion is still as popular in the developing world.
Imhotep

Sun City Center, FL

#10382 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think I am?
I don't know who you are, Don't care,

Yes I have a great occupation, And an abundance of time to make fun of idiots like you.

I find you dysfunctional in the modern world.

Now get down and prostrate yourself facing Mecca, get thy unwashed body on thy little rug and bow down to thy imaginary master.

Too bad - you should try barbecue - pretty good
And as a bonus it can be made from Jews!

Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#10383 May 7, 2013
Halal or haram?

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this dubious standard, when you do not believe in any religion, why is it different from saying "there are no religions".
The same way you saying "There is no God" means God will cease to exist.
It is only a show of you own stupidity that you reject God, while this Whole Endless Universe is in front of you.
Only a "perfect idiot" can deny the Presence of a Creator while the Universe is in front of them.
Why should I define an infidel for you, am I a dictionary?
You should not answer a question with a counter question.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#10384 May 7, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because the trinity is a concept in a fairy tale that's pretty hard to explain, whereas atheism takes just one sentence to explain; a lack of belief in a deity.
Again only "negatives" in Atheism, how could one negative replace so many "positives"?

Did you understand that definition of Atheism which that gentleman posted?

Are we discussing Trinity?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#10385 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Again only "negatives" in Atheism, how could one negative replace so many "positives"?
Speaking of negatives still no word from you about:-
Jenji

Portland, OR

#10386 May 7, 2013
Atheism may truly replace religion, but nothing will change the fact or truth of the creator being we call "God" – whatever that final truth may end up being. I personally believe in Him, though I do not believe any religion has it all correctly – that is because GOD IS GOD BUT RELIGION IS MAN. Meaning, religion is a thing humans created and invented in an attempt to explain God! So yes you can do away with religion, that's fairly easy. But you can never dually with God. And since I personally believe that death is not an end, but rather a doorway to whatever comes next (I think it's a different dimension not an "up" or "down" location here on earth) I think I will just continue to have faith in Him. Besides, looking at the world around me it just makes more sense that it was created rather than that it happened accidentally somehow.

Scottsburg, IN

#10387 May 7, 2013
Nope you are wrong as usual. Not believing in ancient sky wizards like Allah and using that as an excuse to maim, murder and rape is a positive thing indeed.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Again only "negatives" in Atheism, how could one negative replace so many "positives"?

Montreal

#10388 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked about the definition of the trinity...It's even in the post I replied to. Are you so far gone that you can't remember what you posted, let alone even read it?

The explanation Mapdark gave was to try and explain what you are too stupid to understand. You can't understand five simple words put together (don't believe in a god), I don't know why he expected you to understand a grouping in the double digits.

Scottsburg, IN

#10389 May 7, 2013
Well he obviously was very poorly educated in that brutal shthole he calls home.

Too much time on his knees in front of men at the mosque and not enough time in a classroom learning valuable critical thinking skills.
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>You asked about the definition of the trinity...It's even in the post I replied to. Are you so far gone that you can't remember what you posted, let alone even read it?

The explanation Mapdark gave was to try and explain what you are too stupid to understand. You can't understand five simple words put together (don't believe in a god), I don't know why he expected you to understand a grouping in the double digits.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#10390 May 7, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he is HALF right.
Disbelief has more than one meaning.
One is the lack of faith in something (AKA lack of belief without evidence/lack of belief against evidence) and the other is the inability or refusal to accept something that is true or real.
So he is half right, even though he's nitpicking and willingly ignoring what we obviously mean.
Then in the latter case we could just use the word "belief".(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#10391 May 7, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
The atheist author who wrote the title article of this thread “Why Atheism Will Replace Religion” claiming that atheism is a modern phenomena for some reason failed to mention anything about atheism’s bloody 20th century history. It is estimated that atheist dictators and their atheist henchmen murdered between 149 and 249 million men, women, and children from 1919 to 1987 in various countries around the world. I guess if someone is trying to sell atheism to a new generation of sheeple it’s probably not a good idea to mention what cold blooded, lying, theiving murderers atheists have been in the past, is it......?
Your god makes all the world's tyrants combined look like a bunch of flower arrangers. QED.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#10392 May 7, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for hanging in there and not stooping down to the sewer levels of these bigoted trolls. Your questions have been very thought provoking and I appreciate intelligent discuession--a rarity on Topix threads.
Presently, there are three Buddhists and two Muslims who have been elected to the US Congress so it doesn’t look like Islamophobic bigotry reaches from Topix to our voting booths.....
MUQ is no different from any other creationist on these forums. Dishonest and stupid.(shrug)

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10393 May 7, 2013
This experiment demonstrated scientifically how belief or faith in the power of directed consciousness aka prayer can reduce violent crime.

Effects of Group Practice of the Transcendental Meditation Program on Preventing Violent Crime in Washington, DC: Results of the National Demonstration Project, June-July 1993

This National Demonstration Project to Reduce Violent Crime and Improve Governmental Effectiveness brought approximately 4,000 participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs to the United States national capital from June 7 to July 30, 1993. A 27-member independent Project Review Board consisting of sociologists and criminologists from leading universities, representatives from the police department and government of the District of Columbia, and civic leaders approved in advance the research protocol for the project and monitored its progress.

The dependent variable in the research was weekly violent crime, as measured by the Uniform Crime Report program of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; violent crimes include homicide, rape, aggravated assault, and robbery. This data was obtained from the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department for 1993 as well as for the preceding five years (1988-1992). Additional data used for control purposes included weather variables (temperature, precipitation, humidity), daylight hours, changes in police and community anti-crime activities, prior crime trends in the District of Columbia, and concurrent crime trends in neighboring cities. Average weekly temperature was significantly correlated with homicides, rapes and assaults (HRA crimes), as has also been found in previous research; therefore temperature was used as a control variable in the main analysis of HRA crimes. Using time series analysis, violent crimes were analyzed separately in terms of HRA crimes (crimes against the person) and robbery (monetary crimes), as well as together.

Analysis of 1993 data, controlling for temperature, revealed that there was a highly significant decrease in HRA crimes associated with increases in the size of the group during the Demonstration Project. The maximum decrease was 23.3% when the size of the group was largest during the final week of the project. The statistical probability that this result could reflect chance variation in crime levels was less than 2 in 1 billion (p < .000000002). When a longer baseline is used (1988-1993 data), the maximum decrease was 24.6% during this period (p < .00003)..... Analysis of 1993 data, controlling for temperature, revealed that there was a highly significant decrease in HRA crimes associated with increases in the size of the group during the Demonstration Project.

Several additional analyses were performed on HRA crimes to further assess the strength of the main findings. These indicated that the reduction of HRA crimes associated with the group of participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs could not be attributed to changes in police staffing. These secondary analyses also found that the reduction of HRA crimes was highly robust to alternative specifications of the statistical model-that is, the effect is independent of the isolated details of the models used to assess seasonal cycles and trends. No significant decrease was found in any of the prior five years during this period of time, indicating that this effect was not due to the specific time of year. Furthermore, the intervention parameters for the group size revealed that the effect of the group was not only cumulative with the increase in group size, but also continued for some time after the end of the project.
Based on the results of the study, the steady state gain (long-term effect) associated with a permanent group of 4,000 participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs was calculated as a 48% reduction in HRA crimes in the District of Columbia.

http://istpp.org/crime_prevention/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 42 min anonymous 83,242
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 7 hr Dogen 2,578
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu Dan78iel 3,989
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct '17 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web