Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14655 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Since: May 11

UK

#10227 May 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not just now - always has been.
how are the pigs?

how is prison?

how is the shelf containing the sum of all human knowledge?

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10228 May 3, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a good way to test if someone could *possibly* have any understanding of QM: ask them to solve the differential equation y''+4y=0. If they cannot do so *instantly*, then they do not understand QM.
LOL That's like saying if someone doesn't speak Hebrew they can't possibly understand zionism.

Mathematical equations are beautiful, elegant works but they are just esoteric expressions of different human mental constructs of reality....not reality itself.

Since: May 11

UK

#10229 May 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism IS a faith-based belief.
"‘Atheism’ means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."
-Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
"Atheism is the position that affirms the nonexistence of God. It proposes positive belief rather than mere suspension of disbelief."
-Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
"Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswered or unanswerable; for the atheist, the nonexistence of God is a certainty."
-Encyclopedia Britannica
"In fact, atheism is an active belief that God doesn’t exist."
-Jonathan Safarti, PhD
Still picking the low hanging fruit Mr `Crick`?

"‘Atheism’ means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."

Smart, J. J. C., "Atheism and Agnosticism", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Spring 2013 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.)

...Jonathan Safarti?

Young earth creationist Jonathan Safarti, the editior of "Creation" Magazine? Employed by Creation Ministries International and (no)Answers in Genesis.......That Jonathan Safarti?

btw..you need to familiarise yourself with the word, "ideology", evidently you have some basic comprehension problems.

Since: May 11

UK

#10230 May 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Some fatass has been watching Fox News again I see.
Did you shovel food down your throat at the buffet while the no spin zone was on fatty?
<quoted text>
Mr `Crick` always chooses a larger than average man for his avatar picture. The current picture is of an actor named Jeff Chase from the movie "transporter". Publicity shot below...

http://www.hotflick.net/pictures/005TRT_Kate_...

I suspect Mr `Crick` is compensating.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10231 May 3, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am saying that Bohr, Heisenberg, and Wigner were wrong. But so was Einstein (in a different way). The problem is that there were no experiments establishing that consciousness collapses the wave function. There was an *interpretation* of QM that *suggested* thast consciousness was responsible. But that interpretation is internally inconsistent (requiring a separate, non-linear, non-unitary collapse due to a classical measuring device).
What has been discovered over the last 30 years (note: after all those scientists you listed had died) is that no collapse in the traditional sense is required. Instead of consciousness being the key, the actual factor responsible is the surrounding environment. The point is that any classical device cannot be separated from it environment and that environment selects the possible observable states via an information transfer corresponding to an entropy increase in the system being measured. This process is described quite well by quantum mechanics and is called decoherence. Unlike the Copenhagen interpretation of Bohr, it turns out that the decoherence (collapse) happens over a period of time instead of instantly. Furthermore, the length of that time interval can be calculated and compared to experiments that have been done.
The overall conclusion is that the 'collapse' happens far before any consciousness actually looks at the results. Instead, the collapse happens due to interaction with an environment that selects certain einstates. If you want references to both the theoretical or the experimental results, I can supply them.
You can assert that Bohr, Heisenberg, Wigner, and even Einstein were wrong, but that wouldn’t change the fact that the Copenhagen interpretation is still the most widely-accepted specific interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Many reformulations of Everett’s interpretaion have been written since 1957, but none of them solve the measurement problem, especially the absurd ones which claim there is no such thing as wave collapse therefore there’s nothing to measure. Your assertion that wave collapse only happens over a period of time but not instantaneously is not supported by double
slit experiments. Positing that wave collapse is “due to interaction with an environment that selects certain einstates” does not support an argument against causal consciousness because Whitehead’s theory of consciousness stated that everything in the universe possessed consciousness....including an environment.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10232 May 3, 2013
You were quoting Fox News. Me and the wife go running daily I want a waist size 30 in jeans, I doubt your fatass could fit one leg in my jeans.

Try some green leafy vegetables fatboy, everyone laughs at you :))
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>A bit off point, ya think?

You are fatter than I am, by the way.
Lincoln

United States

#10233 May 3, 2013
Faith safe in America ....

Christians have grown increasingly alarmed in recent weeks over reports and rumors that the Pentagon is considering new policies aimed at discriminating against Christians and disciplining or even court-martialing those who share their faith.

But the Department of Defense on Thursday sought to debunk that speculation, saying that while aggressive proselytizing is barred, evangelization is still permitted and the rights of all believers — and non-believers — will be protected.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10234 May 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism IS a faith-based belief.
"‘Atheism’ means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."
-Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
"Atheism is the position that affirms the nonexistence of God. It proposes positive belief rather than mere suspension of disbelief."
-Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
"Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswered or unanswerable; for the atheist, the nonexistence of God is a certainty."
-Encyclopedia Britannica
"In fact, atheism is an active belief that God doesn’t exist."
-Jonathan Safarti, PhD
Foolish creationist f*ck who tried to redefine atheism to fit his creationist hallucination.

99% of the problems of theists is poor education.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10235 May 3, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Faith safe in America ....
Christians have grown increasingly alarmed in recent weeks over reports and rumors that the Pentagon is considering new policies aimed at discriminating against Christians and disciplining or even court-martialing those who share their faith.
But the Department of Defense on Thursday sought to debunk that speculation, saying that while aggressive proselytizing is barred, evangelization is still permitted and the rights of all believers — and non-believers — will be protected.
Sh*t the f*ck up you creationist piece of sh*t troll with no morals and no proof of god.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10236 May 3, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
You can assert that Bohr, Heisenberg, Wigner, and even Einstein were wrong, but that wouldn’t change the fact that the Copenhagen interpretation is still the most widely-accepted specific interpretation of quantum mechanics.
Many reformulations of Everett’s interpretaion have been written since 1957, but none of them solve the measurement problem, especially the absurd ones which claim there is no such thing as wave collapse therefore there’s nothing to measure. Your assertion that wave collapse only happens over a period of time but not instantaneously is not supported by double
slit experiments. Positing that wave collapse is “due to interaction with an environment that selects certain einstates” does not support an argument against causal consciousness because Whitehead’s theory of consciousness stated that everything in the universe possessed consciousness....including an environment.
We're not sure why you theists lie about god over and over again to us.

As though repeating the same lie will eventually change hard facts.

It is sad that there really is no help for the voluntarily mentally ill like theist are.

Sad part of this is that we have to live with / deal with these hallucinating idiots in our everyday lives.
Caca Dukkie

Santa Cruz, CA

#10237 May 3, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sh*t the f*ck up you creationist piece of sh*t troll with no morals and no proof of god.
OMG. What is happening here?

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10238 May 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>A bit off point, ya think?

You are fatter than I am, by the way.
I don't think an icon to support equality is enough to determine someone's weight.
On the other hand, your picture shows you to be quite stocky.

And so observation beats unsupported speculation.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10239 May 3, 2013
Oh nice catch! How desperate is that? He before has said that is him in the picture! Lol! I was actually going by the picture he had on his fallen football player that he was using. That is one fatass ugly guy lol!

Makes you cringe at what the actual Buck looks like lol!
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>Mr `Crick` always chooses a larger than average man for his avatar picture. The current picture is of an actor named Jeff Chase from the movie "transporter". Publicity shot below...

http://www.hotflick.net/pictures/005TRT_Kate_...

I suspect Mr `Crick` is compensating.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10240 May 3, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Not at all.

atheism

1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

American Heritage Dictionary

from Greek atheos, godless : a-, without; + theos, god. Theism - belief in God. Ergo, without belief in God.

MUQ wrote, "To compare "Atheism" which is a "major system in the world" with Alien Life in Universe shows that you are comparing apples against oranges."

But of course. To YOU. That's because you're a fundie and your beliefs are everything in the world to you.

Nobody else has to care.(shrug)

MUQ wrote, "Why do you not admit that you "do not have a positive definition" of what Atheism is.
It is a negative definition that there is No God"

No, you are confusing the claim that there is no God with a simple lack of belief due to a lack of evidence. I can simply lack a belief in the Invisible Pink Unicorn. Show me evidence of the IPU and unless I address those claims with a rational rebuttal THEN you can start claiming I have a *positive* belief that there is no IPU.

Now, if you want a "fundamentalist atheist" who makes the POSITIVE assertion that there definitely is no God no way no how no matter what, then that's why God invented Skippy the 'Skeptic'. Go have fun with him.

MUQ wrote, "and there is No religion….. "

Of course there's religions. That's not an issue.

MUQ wrote, "but what takes the place of God and religion in atheism, you have to declare that also."

No we don't. If humanity hadn't invented the concept of Gods then we wouldn't even need to have this conversation. Then one day just one person comes up with this "God" idea that no-one's ever even heard of before and all of a sudden the whole world suddenly has a "positive" belief that there is no God to the point that they are now all of a sudden all religious in their lack of belief? Ludicrous.

Nothing has to "take the place" of belief in aliens, we can simply lack a belief in aliens. Nothing has to take the place of belief in the IPU. We can simply lack a belief in the IPU. Nothing has to take the place of a belief in fairies. We can simply lack a belief in fairies.

MUQ wrote, "PS:
If this is your level of arguments, then why do you not become Christian and "explain" Trinity in common language to the multitude"!!"

Because I'm not a Christian and I don't have to explain contradictory non-falsifiable non-scientific concepts like theism. And I worry little about your opinion about my arguments since you're not capable of rational debate, or indeed rationality at all. Something we found out three years ago.
Something he lacks, that most atheists and many (but not most) religious people have:
Ratiocination.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10241 May 3, 2013
He desperately hunts up essays and such trying to redefine what atheism is. When presented with dozens of definitions that go against his Fox News view he throws a fatboy temper tantrum, it's rather funny I admit.
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Feel free to spin it anyway you like, but I'll stick with what atheists claim about themselves as opposed to what someone else claims about them in order to make their religious beliefs seem less ridiculous

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10242 May 3, 2013
The photo is an actor, he stole it.

So pathetic.
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think an icon to support equality is enough to determine someone's weight.
On the other hand, your picture shows you to be quite stocky.

And so observation beats unsupported speculation.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10243 May 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Bwhahahahahahahah...

1. Can you name a concept human beings DID NOT invent?

2. Do you not recognize that "disbelief" and "lack of belief" are different?

3. Would you like me to explain it to you?

I love it when a stupid slagstomping atheist supplies a defintion for his case, and it supports the other side.

You are quite a jewell, Milkdud.
You can't even spell properly.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10244 May 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>The photo is an actor, he stole it.

So pathetic.
Saw that after my comment.
What a good Christian, lying and such.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10245 May 3, 2013
Oh Christians like him lie all the time. You gotta feel sorry for him really.
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>Saw that after my comment.
What a good Christian, lying and such.
Lincoln

United States

#10246 May 3, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL That's like saying if someone doesn't speak Hebrew they can't possibly understand zionism.
Mathematical equations are beautiful, elegant works but they are just esoteric expressions of different human mental constructs of reality....not reality itself.
Good Post

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min Eagle 12 9,371
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Knowledge- 243,376
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 6 hr Brian_G 6,217
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 hr ChristineM 19,788
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... 8 hr Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 16 hr thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) 17 hr knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web