Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story
CunningLinguist

Lady Lake, FL

#9811 Apr 25, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
It is curious, then, that the atheists on this forum write substantive, coherent, sell-organized, and original posts while you either cut and paste or write poorly organized posts that are long on assertion and short on support, outperforming you on every page as writers and as thinkers.
Not bad for "cattle," eh?
For 'SHEEP' the religious have no equal!

Jews (Saturday at the temple)
Christians (Sunday at the church)
Muslim (Friday at the mosque)

Weekends wasted on fantasy and imagined immortality! Hilarious

Furthermore, the majority that post in these forums remind

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#9812 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You make me jealous.
First saw them live in 1978... I had to hitchhike to Green Bay from home (about 20 miles) as I was too young to drive. I've been a fan ever since :)

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#9813 Apr 25, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>First saw them live in 1978... I had to hitchhike to Green Bay from home (about 20 miles) as I was too young to drive. I've been a fan ever since :)
Well, at least I'm lucky enough to have gone to the last Foo Fighters concert that took place in Montreal before the band announced its end.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#9814 Apr 25, 2013
Great point! Sadly I doubt he will respond or even read it. Spamming his scribd page seems to be all he's interested in not actual back and forth conversation.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>It is curious, then, that the atheists on this forum write substantive, coherent, sell-organized, and original posts while you either cut and paste or write poorly organized posts that are long on assertion and short on support, outperforming you on every page as writers and as thinkers.

Not bad for "cattle," eh?

Location hidden

#9815 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least I'm lucky enough to have gone to the last Foo Fighters concert that took place in Montreal before the band announced its end.
Cool. I've never seen them live but heard they put on a good show

I was lucky enough to see Stevie Ray Vaughn (Alpine Valley, WI). He died (helicopter crash) after his show the following night

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9816 Apr 25, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I thought it fit in nicely with your 'trees' comment.
I used to love Rush!!

My first Rush experience was hearing "Finding My Way" on the Old Grey Whistle Test. Then they dipped off my radar until I picked up "Caress of Steel". I stayed with them until "Permanent Waves". Although I do have "Vapour Trails" and "Clockwork Angels".

Saw them on their first UK tour in 1977.

Great memories

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#9817 Apr 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you fail to understand and it is only 1 of 10!
The Ten Commandments A simple logic problem
1. I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
The first commandment has God, who describes himself as a "jealous God," proclaim by fiat that only he is to be worshipped. All other Gods are to be shunned, and the proper penalty for worshipping Gods other than the biblical God, as the Bible itself repeatedly makes clear, is summary execution, without trial or investigation.
"If your brother, your own mother's son, or your son or daughter, or your wife, or your closest friend, entices you in secret, saying,'Come let us worship other gods'- whom neither you nor your fathers has experienced... do not assent... but take his life. Let your hand be first against him to put him to death, and the hand of the rest of the people thereafter.
Stone him to death, for he sought to make you stray from the lord your god... Thus all of Israel will hear and be afraid, and such evil things will not be done again in your midst" (Deuteronomy 13:7-12).
As we shall see repeatedly, the biblical commandment not to kill cannot be taken as an absolute moral command, and was not even intended to be such by the author of Genesus. The Biblical God in fact commands the death penalty for a whole slew of offenses, such being homosexual (Lev. 20:13), being a witch (Ex. 22:18), saying bad things about Yahweh (Lev. 24:16), worshipping gods other than Yahweh (Deut. 17:2-5 RSV), not being a virgin on your wedding day (Deut. 22:20-21), striking one's parents or being a stubborn and rebellious son (Ex. 21:17 , Lev. 20:9), bestiality (Ex. 22:19, Lev. 20:15-16), working or performing prohibited activities on the seventh day of the week (Ex. 31:14-15; Num 15:36). Luckily for Hagar and Ishmael, Yahweh intervenes at the last minute. Moses was a murderer, and incited others to murder as well. After some members of the camp took to worshipping a God other than Yahweh, in this case a golden calf, Moses, speaking with Yahweh's authority, commanded his own people to kill each other in a wild, indiscriminate bloodbath.
"Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD's side? let him come unto me. And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men" (32:26-28).
This is the same God who, according to Christian evangelists and apologists, is a morally perfect entity, providing the sole ground and justification for all human moral values.
. Thus the fundamentalist logic forces one to admit that accepted moral evils such as infanticide, gerontocide, genocide and slavery are actually morally perfect actions when their God performs them.
Go figure. I must have missed somethin in the
'translation' huh?
The biblical Yahweh, who commanded genocide against whole nations (DEU 7:1-5), who incited his own "special people" to kill one another in a senseless riot (EX 32:37-8), who SPECIFICALLY demanded the murder of infants (1SAM 15:3; EZ 9:6), who caused men to engage in cannibalism (EZEK 5:10; ISA 49:26), who commanded incest, and who killed someone for refusing to comply (GEN 38:8-10; DEU 25:5-6), who engaged in deception (1KINGS 22:23; 2 THESS 2:11), and who demanded bloody animal sacrifices by the dozen (LEV 1:12; EXO 29:15-18; EXO 29:36, etc., ad infinitum), is portrayed in a light which would make Saddam Hussein look like a saint by comparison.
And... the 'EVIDENCE' BELIEVERS SO OFTEN DEMAND... THERE IT IS!
Get out your verion of the Bibile... it could not possible lie could it?
Interesting. An inconvenient fact for sure.

Nottingham, UK

#9818 Apr 25, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Cool. I've never seen them live but heard they put on a good show
I was lucky enough to see Stevie Ray Vaughn (Alpine Valley, WI). He died (helicopter crash) after his show the following night
I guess my era was the early seventies.

Which means I got to see bands like The Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, Rory Gallagher, etc when they were in their prime.

Class acts.

Montreal

#9819 Apr 25, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Which means I got to see bands like The Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, Rory Gallagher, etc when they were in their prime.
Class acts.
See, these are the things that make me jealous and annoyed that I'm so young.

Montreal

#9820 Apr 25, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Cool. I've never seen them live but heard they put on a good show
I also saw Heart a year or two...man, when "Crazy On You" started, everyone screamed.
It was fantastic.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#9821 Apr 25, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Class acts.
Woo Hoo. Loved those guys.
CunningLinguist

Lady Lake, FL

#9822 Apr 25, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. An inconvenient fact for sure.
It ain't any better on the next 4 either

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

The second commandment tells us that Yahweh is a jealous God, punishing not just those who make graven images, but also their innocent children and children's children, down to the fourth generation. Imagine the universal denunciation that would accompany the enactment of such policies in the modern world, say a policy that punishes the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of thiefs, for example.

The whole premise that innocent people should be deliberately punished for the actions of their ancestors is both absurd and morally indefensible.

Especially interesting is the fact that almost no Christian in the entire world obeys or even attempts to obey the first sentence, which states clearly that making images and likenesses of anything in heaven or earth is forbidden.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

The third commandment is yet another affirmation of Yahweh's jealous nature and willingness to punish those who offend him.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that any supernatural beings are concerned, or would have been concerned at any time in the past, with my weekend work schedule. No such apathy is apparent in the Old Testament, where the penalty for working on the sabbath is exactly the same as for worshipping other Gods -- death by stoning.

In Numbers, the following touching story is recounted:

"While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him in custody, because it had not been made plain what should be done to him. And the LORD said to Moses,'The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.' And all the congregation brought him outside the camp, and stoned him to death with stones, as the LORD commanded Moses" (15:32-36).

One can imagine the discussions that would take place in history classes across the nation: "Mr. Smith, is it really true that Yahweh thought it was right to stone people to death for working on the wrong day of the week? If we are totally free to disobey the fourth commandment, why aren't we allowed to disobey the others?"

Nottingham, UK

#9823 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
See, these are the things that make me jealous and annoyed that I'm so young.
Ah, you'll have still seen a lot of great bands though!

Nottingham, UK

#9824 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
I also saw Heart a year or two...man, when "Crazy On You" started, everyone screamed.
It was fantastic.
Back around 1976, I really loved the Dreamboat Annie album.

Wasn't too keen on the eighties Heart

Loved their recent version of Stairway to Heaven!

Nottingham, UK

#9825 Apr 25, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Woo Hoo. Loved those guys.
Great days, Lulu!

I even got to see Black Oak Arkansas when they supported Black Sabbath back around 1974. I know they were popular in the states.

Location hidden

#9826 Apr 25, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Class acts.
Although I didn't start going to concerts until I was 15 (1977) the only one you listed that I haven't seen at some point is Rory Gallagher. I didn't have to opportunity to see the Who until about 20 years ago. They didn't hit my neck of the woods very often. They were in Milwaukee back in 81 or 82 and tickets were impossible to get. All my friend and I put our names in for a lottery drawing for tickets and we all came up short.

Location hidden

#9827 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
It was fantastic.
I've seen Heart a few times. They were both so hot back in the day!:P

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#9828 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Cattle have been granted with facilities which might surpass humans in some specific areas, because of their environment and their survival.
But overall they are no match for humans, it is humans who lord over them and use them in any way they like.
If cattle had working brains, they would be lording over humans, should they not?
That is why Quran gives simile of Non Believers as Cattle, or even worse that them. Because cattle recognize their "masters" and these people do not recognize their Creator, despite being asked again and again.
Yes we do insult cattle in a way from that angle!!
I understood your use of similes, MUQ . I was being facetious.:-)

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#9829 Apr 25, 2013
Muq cheered the Islamic terror bombings on 911. Do you as well?
ezdzit wrote:
I understood your use of similes, MUQ . I was being facetious.:-)

Nottingham, UK

#9830 Apr 25, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Although I didn't start going to concerts until I was 15 (1977) the only one you listed that I haven't seen at some point is Rory Gallagher. I didn't have to opportunity to see the Who until about 20 years ago. They didn't hit my neck of the woods very often. They were in Milwaukee back in 81 or 82 and tickets were impossible to get. All my friend and I put our names in for a lottery drawing for tickets and we all came up short.
I bet that's some good memories you've got!

I managed to catch the Who on three occasions.

Glasgow Apollo 1975

Celtic Park (Glasgow) 1976

Glasgow Apollo June 1979

My memories from those days are pretty dim as I was off my face during the first two shows.

I remember the third one quite well. Keith Moon had died the year before and they had Kenney Jones on drums. They opened with "Substitute" and the crowd gave them a five-minute ovation singing "There's only one Kenney Jones" to the tune of Guantanamera. The band loved it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr NightSerf 725
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Patrick 1,024
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Patrick 228,601
Is Religion Childish? 3 hr nOgOd 4
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr Eman 22,934
Heaven 6 hr Patrick 7
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr Patrick 5,938

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE