Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Comments (Page 460)

Showing posts 9,181 - 9,200 of14,394
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Sad events in city of Boston.

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Keeps you in business!:D
I rather enjoyed the cheeseburger flavoured Doritos.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Why does Allah want his people to attack and blow up innocent people all over the world? Same reason he allows little girls to be sold and priced into marriage at age 6?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Very correct. As our knowledge improves, some "models" of God might fade away, but the concept shall never go, because it is "built-into" our sub conscience.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
There are, however, some books of the Bible which defy "rational" explanation. Genesis 1 is a good example. How could ancient men know about the Big Bang or articulate a description of the EXACT sequence of species appearance on this planet?
They couldn't. Which is why they got it wrong.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Or perhaps what you call "divine power" is really just the operation of natural laws our ever evolving knowledge of science doesn't really comprehend yet......hmmmmm?
The medical journals are full of documented "miracle" healings, i.e. spontaneous remissions, of terminal cancers or some other deadly disease occurring for atheists, the non-religious, and the religious of all sects.
What I would call an example of "divine power" is when God overrides the operation of His own natural laws and one of the best examples of this is the inexplicably high levels of CO2 that have accumulated in our atmosphere, the highest levels in 450,000 years of earth's history according to ice core samples. We should be 100 years into a huge glaciation event, the earth should resemble a gigantic snowball. We aren't and it doesn't. Why?
Well from what I can gather is that all the glaciologists and geologists think it's due to Goddidit with magic.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you go around the subject because you can't answer.
Go boom. Irony meter duz it.
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything in the Bible is just myth and there's "zero evidence" supporting anything written in it....is that your point?
The Levant is the epicenter for the Agricultural Revolution and the beginning of human civilization. The "book" has been an invaluable tool for scientists, cosmologists, archaeologists, anthropologists, biologists, geologists, linguists, geneticists, etc. and historians, theologians, philosophers, etc. If that chaps your ass you'll just have to suck it up and get over it, bubba.
I did not suggest the book was not useful for historical study

However considering the authors and the knowledge available to mankind at the time we can now see that this is largely fantasy

We have discovered no evidence you know this

For example long long long before your fantasy there was this... no need to go much further don't you think?

"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE

"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE

"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE

"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE

"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE

Next

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Please enlighten me.
Natural selection in the plant world for one. Genetic studies are another example and readily verifiable.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Please enlighten me.
People have been getting bigger and taller.

The Mexican race of people evolved from a mix of European Caucasians and Native American indigenous people.
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

We used to have hedgehog flavour crisps (chips) over here...
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
I rather enjoyed the cheeseburger flavoured Doritos.

Since: May 11

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Thinking wrote:
We used to have hedgehog flavour crisps (chips) over here...
<quoted text>
Tudor Crisps I believe?

Waye aye man, for choodah ahl climb a mountain(best geordie vernacular).

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Very correct. As our knowledge improves, some "models" of God might fade away, but the concept shall never go, because it is "built-into" our sub conscience.
Well said, MUQ

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Your book is myth
There is zero evidence you should know this
Like those of the Jewish writer Josephus, the works of the ancient historians Pliny, Suetonius and Tacitus do not provide proof that Jesus Christ ever existed as a "historical" character.
Pliny the Younger, Roman Official and Historian (62-113 CE)
Tacitus, Roman Politician and Historian,(c. 56-120 CE)
Suetonius, Roman Historian (c. 69-c. 122 CE)
When addressing the mythical nature of Jesus Christ, one issue repeatedly raised is the purported "evidence" of his existence to be found in the writings of Flavius Josephus, the famed Jewish general and historian who lived from about 37 to 100 CE.
In Josephus's Antiquities of the Jews appears the notorious passage regarding Christ called the "Testimonium Flavianum" ("TF"):
"Now, there was about this time, Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works,--a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure.
He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."
The are: No sculptures, no drawings, no markings in stone, nothing written in his own hand; and no letters, no commentaries, indeed no authentic documents written by his Jewish and Gentile contemporaries, Justice of Tiberius, Philo, Josephus, Seneca, Petronius Arbiter, Pliny the Elder, et al., to lend credence to his historicity."
In the final analysis there is no evidence that the biblical character called "Jesus Christ" ever existed.
All of these historians were born well after the alleged events.
'Hearsay' is not 'evidence' for a reason!
Caesar by comparison is easily verified.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.~Saul Bellow
Also, Josephus wrote a lot more about Hercules (clearly not forged) than about Jesus (probably forged), what does that say?

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not suggest the book was not useful for historical study
However considering the authors and the knowledge available to mankind at the time we can now see that this is largely fantasy
We have discovered no evidence you know this
For example long long long before your fantasy there was this... no need to go much further don't you think?
"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE
"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE
"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE
"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE
"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE
"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE
"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE
"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE
Next
Backpeddling AND equivocating?

You have absolutely no clue what knowledge was available to humans in ancient times. Sumeria's Epic of Gilgamesh tells fanciful tales of genetically engineered humans which is dismissed as "myths" yet the double helix shape associated with the god Enki who was believed to have created humans first appears on Sumerian temples circa 2600 BC, nearly 5,000 years before Crick and Watson discovered DNA's double helix shape. Genesis 1 says God created humans in the 6th day/age and Genesis 2 says God genetically engineered a new human male--Adamic man--AFTER the creations of the older human population.

If our dating methods are correct, humans have been around give or take a million years, yet there is no archaeological evidence that early human brains were capable of anything like complex thought processing until after the Younger Dryas circa 16,000 BC, humans suddenly started demonstrating that ability, moved out of the caves and began inventing all kinds of tools and technologies. Science calls this the Neolithic age--religion calls this the Adamic age.

Google anthropology's diffusion theory. Everything has a source. Following the anthropology trail to the source from which ALL human religious/philosophical ideas diffused to every part of the globe will lead you back to the Levant circa 8000 BC.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
They couldn't. Which is why they got it wrong.(shrug)
Not according to Robert Jastrow, astronomer, physicist. cosmologist, Nobel Laureate.

"Now we see how the astronomical evidence supports the biblical view of the origin of the world. The details differ, but the essential elements in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same: the chain of events leading to man commenced suddenly and sharply at a definite moment in time, in a flash of light and energy."
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Backpeddling AND equivocating?
You have absolutely no clue what knowledge was available to humans in ancient times. Sumeria's Epic of Gilgamesh tells fanciful tales of genetically engineered humans which is dismissed as "myths" yet the double helix shape associated with the god Enki who was believed to have created humans first appears on Sumerian temples circa 2600 BC, nearly 5,000 years before Crick and Watson discovered DNA's double helix shape. Genesis 1 says God created humans in the 6th day/age and Genesis 2 says God genetically engineered a new human male--Adamic man--AFTER the creations of the older human population.
If our dating methods are correct, humans have been around give or take a million years, yet there is no archaeological evidence that early human brains were capable of anything like complex thought processing until after the Younger Dryas circa 16,000 BC, humans suddenly started demonstrating that ability, moved out of the caves and began inventing all kinds of tools and technologies. Science calls this the Neolithic age--religion calls this the Adamic age.
Google anthropology's diffusion theory. Everything has a source. Following the anthropology trail to the source from which ALL human religious/philosophical ideas diffused to every part of the globe will lead you back to the Levant circa 8000 BC.
Yes that's certainly is an admirable Steaming pile of nonsense you shoveled up

However use of the Bible as proof is... well, ludicrous

I know it's hard but do try to stay on topic

You claim there's a God I say there is zero evidence that supports this thought

I shall be fair with you

Two simple questions

Can you Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do?

Can you Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs?

Take your time
consult your clergy
they claim to know the unknowable

This ought to be a proverbial piece of cake

I'll wait. ;)

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's certainly is an admirable Steaming pile of nonsense you shoveled up
However use of the Bible as proof is... well, ludicrous
I know it's hard but do try to stay on topic
You claim there's a God I say there is zero evidence that supports this thought
I shall be fair with you
Two simple questions
Can you Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do?
Can you Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs?
Take your time
consult your clergy
they claim to know the unknowable
This ought to be a proverbial piece of cake
I'll wait. ;)
More strawmen laced with red herrings and garnished with trite ad hominems is all ya got?

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahah aha.....
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

I really don't know... I just found this though:

http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/assets/raw-132...
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Tudor Crisps I believe?
Waye aye man, for choodah ahl climb a mountain(best geordie vernacular).

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you witnessed evolution?
I have! I have!!

When:

Where:

Petri Dish, High School Biology

What: Induced (evolved) antibiotic resistance in cultured Escherichia Coli bacteria.

How: Exposed cultured E.Coli to Penicillin. Made fresh cultures of survivors. Repeat.

Results: After a number of iterations you end up with a Petri dish full of a new strain of E. Coli. The instructions for the proteins / processes that offer antibiotic resistance are written into the animal's genome. The 'new' strain possesses a trait that did not exist before the experiment. It has evolved.

In fact, the process is going on all around us, all the time and will eventually render our antibiotics ineffective. You godbots best step out of the way and let the egg-heads figure out what we are going to do about it. I don't think praying is going to help.
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, Josephus wrote a lot more about Hercules (clearly not forged) than about Jesus (probably forged), what does that say?
We give them facts

Facts seem to annoy Christians quite a bit

They Dilly Dally around them looking for any excuse to prop up their faith.

I find this delusional since this information can be found in the library it's not like this information is secret and only the government knows about it

And what does this say - it speaks volumes!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,181 - 9,200 of14,394
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••