Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,477

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

Since: May 11

UK

#9324 Apr 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
It gives my idle hands something to do ;)
I require my daily dose of comedy and know where can this be found in abundance like topix atheist forums
"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
I`ll see your Huxley and raise you a Nietzsche.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true".
Imhotep

United States

#9325 Apr 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I`ll see your Huxley and raise you a Nietzsche.
"Faith means not wanting to know what is true".
I'll see your Nietzsche And raise you 4 large !

"The idea of God was not a lie but a device of the unconscious which needed to be decoded by psychology. A personal god was nothing more than an exalted father-figure: desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father, for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires, feared and worshipped by human beings out of an abiding sense of helplessness. Religion belonged to the infancy of the human race; it had been a necessary stage in the transition from childhood to maturity. It had promoted ethical values which were essential to society. Now that humanity had come of age, however, it should be left behind." ~Sigmund Freud

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and to the same extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." ~H.L. Mencken

"I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science." ~Wernher von Braun (Pioneer rocket engineer)

“A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.”~Saul Bellow

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#9326 Apr 17, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Since you did not witness your own creation, how do you know you exist?
You have to admit he is a great recruiting tool for atheists. I mean let's face it who would want to be associated with such a fool.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#9327 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
RHill just said there is no such thing as complete fossils. I tend to believe him more than you.
What?!?! I even sent you a link to a 'complete fossil' article!! It's rare, but it happens (finding complete fossil specimens). Jeez.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9328 Apr 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
Does it bother you atheist that "pray for Boston" is all over the Internet?
Not really what you would expect from an atheist dominate world. LOL
If Allah sanctioned the bombings will his other identity, Jehovah undo them?

It's ironic that the myth-god who most likely blessed, sanctioned, and put no impediments in front of the actual insect who did this, is the same god our politicians and note worthy citizens for call upon for protection from. All prayers should include the words, " save us from yourself". What is the purpose of such prayers? Are they to appease the angry god?

UK

#9329 Apr 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll see your Nietzsche And raise you 4 large !
"The idea of God was not a lie but a device of the unconscious which needed to be decoded by psychology. A personal god was nothing more than an exalted father-figure: desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father, for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires, feared and worshipped by human beings out of an abiding sense of helplessness. Religion belonged to the infancy of the human race; it had been a necessary stage in the transition from childhood to maturity. It had promoted ethical values which were essential to society. Now that humanity had come of age, however, it should be left behind." ~Sigmund Freud
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and to the same extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." ~H.L. Mencken
"I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science." ~Wernher von Braun (Pioneer rocket engineer)
“A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.”~Saul Bellow
I`m loathe to use a Frenchman but Diderot sums it up better than I ever could:

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest".

Earth,TX

#9330 Apr 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
...some atheists seem to take Hitler promises and statement as valid.
"The Sudetenland] is the last territorial claim that I have to make in Europe." Hitler after Munch 1938
...poster might look up an event between 1939 to 1945 which seemed to indicate to Poland and Europe and Hitler lied.
Atheists Trust Hitler :-)
Your Christain Hitler is dead, you dumazz. Wait a minute ... it's you loons who place your trust in the dead. LOL!

Earth,TX

#9331 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
But don't you believe in evolution? Don't you claim to be educated? Now show me.
Actually it is you who claims to be educated, the only thing I have said about my own education, is that I have no higher education degrees. What I do have is certificates in welding, small engine mechanics, handling haz mat, wild land fire suppression, and I have a GED. So my less than stellar education, still trumps your multiple degrees from Notre Dame. That you even made it through the doors of an accredited university is debatable, for from what you have shown us here, your education could easily be no more varied, than if you had dropped out of school in the seventh or eighth grade, and stopped all learning then and there.

Earth,TX

#9332 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Just add! Now can you prove that fossils are complete? Can you prove that we evolved from apes? Can you prove that dinosaurs evolved to birds? If so, do it!
We and the ape evolved from a common ancestor. Do you deny that you are a primate?

Earth,TX

#9333 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but the questions I ask are not idiotic. You are in check and you have no clear way to get out. Keep trying.
Well, tell me how an idiot would know, that he was being an idiot. Hint: Count the number of people who consider you an idiot. The count is considerably more than one, isn't it?
Imhotep

United States

#9334 Apr 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I`m loathe to use a Frenchman but Diderot sums it up better than I ever could:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest".
That's one of my favorites!

Et en parlant de philosophes français

"Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men." ~Voltaire

"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world." ~Voltaire

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." ~Voltaire

"The first clergyman was the first rascal who met the first fool" ~Voltaire

"Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror." ~Voltaire

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." ~Voltaire

UK

#9335 Apr 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one of my favorites!
Et en parlant de philosophes français
"Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men." ~Voltaire
"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world." ~Voltaire
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." ~Voltaire
"The first clergyman was the first rascal who met the first fool" ~Voltaire
"Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror." ~Voltaire
"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." ~Voltaire
The last one you posted is my favourite, and it holds so true.

Earth,TX

#9336 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Which fossils are complete? I'm just asking and everyone just keeps hitting the educational barrier.
I suggest you look up the phrase "educational barrier". Hey Joe Dirt, your little "go to" touch stone is not what you think it is.

Earth,TX

#9337 Apr 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
...some atheists seem to take Hitler promises and statement as valid.
Are you too Chicken-shit to actually make a statement? Show us the non-beleiver who considers Hitler's racist stupidity valid. Well damn, I think that again you are lying. SOP for you.

Earth,TX

#9338 Apr 17, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm literally incredulous that he asked such a stupid thing. Where does someone come up with the idea that evolution has something to do with determining sex?
I'd think that from either his priest, or his local Jehovah's witless clan. Either way his substandard education has failed him.
Imhotep

United States

#9339 Apr 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
The last one you posted is my favourite, and it holds so true.
I am compelled to say how refreshing it is to exchange posts with someone intelligent

If you are new to these forums I would suggest you ignore those who are severely reality challenged and fact allergic.

To respond to these mammals is really a waste of time - Proselytizers all

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad."
~ALDOUS HUXLEY

Earth,TX

#9340 Apr 17, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you live to 150.
I am planning on making it to 147, but realistically, I can expect to make it just a year or two (maybe 5 years) past one hundred. It is what my female relatives, my aunts, my great aunts, my grandmothers, and my great grandmothers all did. The men usually make it to the mid 90's. I think that is due to tobacco and moonshine's influence.

Earth,TX

#9341 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking evolution here, why preach to the masses? You have not experienced evolution.
Serious, go back to school. Your education is broken.

Earth,TX

#9342 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
So what determines gender? If we evolved from something, you mean gender wasn't involved?
Not as an evolutionary factor, no.

Earth,TX

#9343 Apr 17, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
RHill just said there is no such thing as complete fossils. I tend to believe him more than you.
You tend to lie, more than you tell the truth too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity Created Hitler 25 min Uncle Sam 170
why? 42 min Uncle Sam 13
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Joe fortuna 234,531
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 11 hr thetruth 24
The Consequences of Atheism 11 hr ChristineM 68
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 18 hr thetruth 1,233
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 18 hr thetruth 2,841
More from around the web