Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14736 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#8700 Apr 12, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep! When I use to be a paramedic, I've seen atheists asking for forgiveness when they were close to death. Pretty amazing if you ask me.
I see ... so how did you know they were atheists? Was it written on their T-shirt? Even if you did have access to that kind of information, how did you know their utterance was not just an excited utterance .... like "Holy Sh!t" or do you think people actually worship Sh!t??

Sounds like Christurd BS to me.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8701 Apr 12, 2013
MUQ wrote:
So many eulogies for Charles Darwin, I doubt how many of these writers actually read his book from cover to cover!!
I would only answer Mr. Poly math and I think it would be a common answer to all these eulogists.
What have you to say about:-

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8702 Apr 12, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I have gone thru your post and noted the salient points, which I would try to answer in this post, Inshallah.
A. Science and Predictions:
01. According to me, the science can be divided into two main branches, Exact science and Non Exact Science.
02. In the former I would place, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and similar fields, where we are able to exactly determine the phenomenon. In exact science field, there is very little scope of Guessing or making predictions. Because the hypothesis have to proven in the labs.
03. The second category of Non Exact science concerns with Biology, Zoology, Geology and similar fields, where it is never ending field of observation and there can be no exact rules to predict course of future events or past events as they happened.
Data gathering and charting past and future events are continuous process and our knowledge is never perfect.
04. In such situations scientists are making assumptions and predicting past events, which have probability of being right or wrong.
D. Available Data at the time of Darwin:
05. I do not think that either the enough data was available or there was really any pressing need during the time of Darwin to claim that Specie change from one to other.
06. Read his book again and you find many doubts expressed by himself on what he was saying.
07. His observations were superficial, there was not enough fossil records available, how could he make such startling claims, based on such superficial observations.
08. But the way his book was received by scientific community was both strange and astonishing. Usually scientists are skeptic of such bold claims, but in case of Darwin, they not only accepted it, but started making their efforts to prove each and every one of his predictions right.
09. So the attitude of scientists was very non scientific in this situation, it was as if they were “eagerly looking” for some one to come and explain the multitude of life forms on this earth. The works of Darwin received instant recognition and lauded as “revolutionary”
C. Why should scientists shy away from discussing Plan, and Design at the back of this Universe?
10. You tired to support that scientists should not concern themselves for looking a Pattern, a Design and Plan while making their observation of Nature and its phenomenon.
11. As people who have been given knowledge and understanding, this should be on the top of their mind.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8703 Apr 12, 2013
MUQ wrote:
12. Just observing nature and finding its complexity and solid foundations on which it is built, and then keeping themselves aloof from thinking, How it all came about, what is the purpose of it….reeks as if they have lost their power of analysis.
13. When they use their imaginations to the limit and try to “re-create Universe” from the time of Big bang and when the First life form was formed, why cant they use the same efforts to find out the purpose and design at the back of it?
14. If scientists had done their work, they would have rejected most of the prevalent models and decided with one tallies best with their observed facts.
15. By staying “neutral” and mostly putting their weight behind Atheists, scientists have really not done justice with the knowledge and observations they had.
D. Why should scientists shy away at finding “purpose of our life”?
16. In the same way, the answer to the question what is purpose of our life is as important as to find out how things are working in this universe.
17. How could scientists remain aloof to this fundamental question.
18. And if you think that this development in science and technology and all explosion in information based society has solves any of the basic questions facing humanity, then you are at fault.
19. People still die, not at the hand of smallpox and Cholera, but at the hands of Heart Attack, Cancer, Blood pressure and Diabetics.
20. The problem of poverty, racism, violence and crimes against women are more frequent these days than it was when world was not that much educated.
21. People have become more violent, our lives are more filled with tensions, and suicide rates and mental illness are or the rise.
22. Old age homes, breakup of family structure, rise in homosexuality and laxity of sexual morality are some of the fruits of our progress in science and technology.
23. Why are we created and what shall happen to when we die, are as important things for any scientist than how one specie changed into another. It is strange that first subject is considered Non Scientific and the second as “Most Scientific”
E. Have we ever observed order from Chaos?
24. Now coming to the order we observe in Universe, so assume or try to explain that it “Just happened because of a Big Blind Bag” is some thing which every thinking mind will find abhorring.
25. In the same way to assume, that our Solar System, all things that help and support life on this earth could have come “Automatically” by themselves, without any Design, Plan or Purpose is some thing which no “trained scientific mind” can think.
26. It seems to me that Scientists have gone out of their way, and tried very hard to silence their mind and their conscience as to not think on these lines.
These are some of my observations on your long post.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8704 Apr 12, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently your comprehension of educational barrier is at an all time low. Lol! You have no clue.
As I said stop bitching and go to school.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8705 Apr 12, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I laugh at them! Everybody here claims to be educated. Who the heck is going to say otherwise? That is why I use Educated What? I'm not jealous, this is entertainment.
Yep, and you are the joke.

Thanks for the entertainment.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#8706 Apr 12, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2rgSH0h45EoXX
I think it's hilarious that MUQ thinks Darwin only wrote one book!!!

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#8707 Apr 12, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep! When I use to be a paramedic, I've seen atheists asking for forgiveness when they were close to death. Pretty amazing if you ask me.
Reminds of that old saying: "There are no atheists in foxholes....."

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#8708 Apr 12, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds of that old saying: "There are no atheists in foxholes....."
That's right! There are no Christians either! They are all praying to "Holy Sh!t".

Dumb Butt!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#8709 Apr 12, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>You would be wrong.
Thanks, Einstein!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#8710 Apr 12, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2rgSH0h45EoXX
Why you are wasting yours and every one else' time?

You put the question you want to ask me.
Lincoln

United States

#8711 Apr 12, 2013
Atheism seems to have lost with the Romney campaign?
In the United Kingdom meanwhile:

Joseph Devine, the Bishop of Motherwell, said he considered the Prime Minister “out of his depth” and Christians cannot trust him given the “contradiction” between his statements on religious matters and his actions.

He also used a two-page letter to Mr Cameron, to accuse him of “belittling” the Church of England by attacking its reluctance to ordain women bishops.

The outspoken criticisms mark a new low in relations between Downing Street and the Catholic Church in the wake of the Government’s decision to legalise gay marriage in England and Wales.

The Church is also upset the Prime Minister has refused to support moves by Christians to go to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to demand their right to wear the cross.

In a separate move, Philip Tartaglia, the archbishop of Glasgow, said it was a “great disappointment” that Mr Cameron’s plans to change the laws on royal succession would not end the anomaly that bans the monarch from being Catholic.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#8712 Apr 12, 2013
How do you explain all of the millions of soviet soldiers back in the day who were atheists then??
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Reminds of that old saying: "There are no atheists in foxholes....."

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#8713 Apr 12, 2013
Why do you support Muslim child brides?

Refusing to answer this only makes Islam look bad as you a Muslim are ashamed to speak on why you believe this. You say you are here to openly discuss and answer questions regarding all matters concerning Islam and then refuse to do as you state!
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Why you are wasting yours and every one else' time?

You put the question you want to ask me.
Lincoln

United States

#8714 Apr 12, 2013
Ex Pat news from the UK

Prime Minister David Cameron has said the UK is a Christian country "and we should not be afraid to say so" in a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible.

The PM said it was wrong to suggest that standing up for Christianity was "somehow doing down other faiths".

And he staunchly defended the role of religion in politics and said the Bible in particular was crucial to British values.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#8715 Apr 12, 2013
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Korea is not an atheist nation.
Please get a clue before you post.
Well said

The Koreans worship their leaders and attribute all sorts of miracles to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16297811
Lincoln

United States

#8716 Apr 12, 2013
Ex pat UK views

In a speech delivered earlier this
week at Georgetown University in
Washington, DC, former British prime minister Tony Blair cast atheists and
violent religious extremists in the same light, as enemies whom people of faith
must “confront.”

The larger theme of the speech dealt with building budges
between faiths, to “deeply” respect those of differing religions
“beyond tolerance or acceptance.” Unfortunately, for Blair, atheists
do not warrant even that.

Blair stated that people of faith “face an aggressive
secular attack from without” and “the threat of extremism from
within.

Remembering life in the UK
Lincoln

United States

#8717 Apr 12, 2013
ExPat UK news

His spiritual awakening goes back at least 30 years, to his time as an undergraduate at Oxford, but due to political considerations Tony Blair's conversion to Catholicism has been a long time coming.

He has been attending Catholic mass, often with his family but also occasionally alone, since long before he became prime minister. His wife, Cherie, is a lifelong and practising Catholic, and in accordance with church rules their children have been brought up as Catholics and were sent to church schools.

More than 10 years ago Mr Blair was slipping into Westminster cathedral and occasionally taking communion, until the late Cardinal Basil Hume told him to stop because it was causing comment as he was not a Catholic - an injunction that bemused him at the time.

Since then he has regularly attended services conducted by Canon Timothy Russ, parish priest of the Immaculate Heart of Mary at Great Missenden, the nearest Catholic church to Chequers.
Lincoln

United States

#8718 Apr 12, 2013
ExPat news from the United Kingdom . Land of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey has launched a scathing attack on Prime Minister David Cameron.

In an article for the Daily Mail, Lord Carey says many Christians doubt the PM's "sincerity" when he pledges to protect their religious freedoms and accuses ministers of "aiding and abetting" discrimination against believers.

He points to Government plans to legalise gay marriage as evidence of an "aggressive secularist and relativist approach" and argues that Mr Cameron has fed Christian "anxieties" more than "any other recent political leader".

Lord Carey also says a new poll suggesting that more than two-thirds of Christians feel they are now part of a "persecuted minority" shows the Government must do more to demonstrate its commitment to stand up for faith.

The ComRes poll commissioned by the Coalition for Marriage also found more than half of Christians who backed the Conservatives in 2010 say they will "definitely not" vote for the party in 2015.

Lord Carey expresses alarm about Labour MP Chris Bryant's campaign to turn the 700-year-old Parliamentary chapel of St Mary Undercroft into a multi-faith prayer room so that gay couples can get married there.

Miss the Green fields of England
Lincoln

United States

#8719 Apr 12, 2013
ExPat news from England.

Christian MP David Simpson has raised his concern over the treatment of Christians in the United Kingdom and around the world in a debate in the House of Commons this week.

The DUP politician told ministers that if they wanted to see instances of Christian persecution they need not go to other countries but “simply look to our own back door”.

“In the United Kingdom, the policy seems to be that people can do whatever they like against Christianity – criticise it or blaspheme the name of Christ – as long as they do not insult Islam,” he said.

“It is sad because this country is based on civil and religious liberty for all. When Queen Victoria was on the throne, the secret behind England’s greatness was its open scriptures and open Bible.

“Today, that policy is being hammered into the ground, and that concerns me greatly for the years and months that lie ahead.”

The Commons debate follows the case of a Christian driver who was told to remove a small cross from the dashboard of his company van over concerns that it would offend people of other faiths, even though the company, Wakefield District Housing, allows a Muslim employee to display a verse from the Koran in her company car.

WDH launched an investigation into Colin Atkinson after he refused to remove the cross but backed down after media reports prompted outcry against the action.

Mr Simpson spoke of his concern over the proliferation of violent attacks on Christians in other parts of the world.

He pointed particularly to “wave upon wave” of violent attacks against Christians in Nigeria, where hundreds have been killed in post-election violence, and Pakistan, where the blasphemy laws continue to be used by Muslims to justify attacks against Christians.

In many parts of the Middle East, meanwhile, evangelism and conversion are prohibited, he noted.

Mr Simpson warned of the “inherent dangers” accompanying the Arab Spring, as groups seek to exploit the recent uprisings and establish a purist society “in which the plight of religious groups will be made worse”.

He echoed concerns that democracy will fail in the Arab world unless the G8 provides adequate financial support to democratic players.

He said Britain had a responsibility to use its influence to help establish democracy in places like Egypt and Tunisia.

“Although the current situation for Christians in many Middle East countries is difficult, it could become increasing dangerous in the coming months and years,” he said.

“We, as a Parliament and a nation, should not be like the priest and the Levite in the parable of the Good Samaritan and simply pass by on the other side.”

As important trading partners and recipients of British aid, Mr Simpson said the Government should not respond to the human rights situation in many Arab nations with “silence”.

“I urge the Government not simply to chase the financial bottom line in our dealings with neighbours and partners,” he said.

“As one of the great economies of the world and one of the beacons of democratic freedom, we have a duty to use all of our influence to help those who suffer injustice around the world.

“There is a rising tide of affliction that is swelling around Christians across the world.

“This nation and this Parliament should be more to the fore in the campaign against that and for civil and religious liberty. I urge the Government and all hon. Members to rise to that challenge.”

Tory MP Tony Baldry agreed that the Government should set out clear benchmarks for progress on religious freedom in its bilateral and multilateral dialogue with other states.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min 15th Dalai Lama 77,084
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 30 min 15th Dalai Lama 4,327
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr brenda6 899
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr John 32,291
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... 15 hr Roec 1
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 hr superwilly 258,482
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web