Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#8024 Apr 4, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiya,
I suppose you coud argue it that way.
To me, agnosticism is purely a state of 'not knowing' what there is out there. While I accept the fact that there may or may not be a God, or an afterlife, i'm unable to commit to either idea because I don't have enough evidence to point me either way.
Personally, I think a majority of people who identify as athiests are actually agnostic, because athiesm in itself is a very devout belief that there is nothing afterwards, and I think everyone, no matter how firm they are in their beliefs, always have a nagging feeling at the back of their head; "what if i'm wrong?"
There's a very well known shot taken by the Hubble Telescope. I'm sure you've heard of it; it's known as "The Ultra Deep Field" and it represents both our longest look out into the cosmos, as well as our furthest look back in time. This awesome shot of a small piece of the night sky (about the size of a postage stamp) reveals over 1500 galaxies at varying stages of evolution as they whirl and spin in the vastness of space.

Science, not religion, has revealed this wonder of our natural universe to us, and speaking for myself, when I look at this awesome sight, I feel very small and humble indeed. I need no god to inspire such wonder.

Was it all created by a supreme being(s)? I very much doubt it.

However, I can accept the possibility that I could be wrong and maybe there is an omnipotent being(s) who created everything.

If there is such a being(s) then how arrogant and foolish is it for humans to claim it for their man-made religions! They want sole ownership of a supreme being(s) for their religion alone.

Any supreme being(s) is going to be far beyond the limits, petty jealousies and uneasy vanities that some men of faith claim it possesses.

Perhaps the supreme being(s)(if there is one) will favour the atheists for not labeling him as theirs or for carrying out all sorts of deeds in his name.

Nottingham, UK

#8025 Apr 4, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists NEVER post any evidence supporting their theology of evolution....because not one scientist has ever published a peer reviewed stand alone theory for them to copy & paste. And all these posers who can barely spell claiming to have PhD status? Horse feathers....or is it dinosaur feathers these days?
You're welcome to deny evolution.

You're also welcome to tell us that the moon is made of cheese.

Meanwhile, the facts remain.

Nottingham, UK

#8026 Apr 4, 2013
You gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I am very glad you have posted the following line "I believe in Darwin's theory of evolution", at least you are honest in that you "believe in" the myth of evolution. One issue I have is where is the evidence you mention, no one seems to have it, perhaps it has been lost or misplaced, perhaps it does not actually exist and your "I believe in" statement is closer to the truth.
As an agnostic does your inquiry include the possibility that there is a god or that GOD and the BIBLE are actually correct?
"Nullius in verba"

It's Latin. It means "On the word of no one" or "Take nobody's word for it".

It's also the motto of the Royal Society which was one of the very earliest scientific institutes.

It's all about rejecting authority; especially inane ramblings of late Iron Age goat herders.

Nottingham, UK

#8027 Apr 4, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want proof, why don't you go take a f--king biology class? go ask a biologist. Why are you here asking atheists about evolution? You do know that they are mutually exclusive, don't you?
He probably calls a plumber when he wants his house re-wired.

Nottingham, UK

#8028 Apr 4, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Dream on, bubba.
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”
-- Robert Jastrow, American astronomer, physicist and cosmologist, Noble Laureate, and agnostic, from his book, "God and the Astronomers" ( p. 107)
Perhaps these theologians will be Australian Aborigines who will want to tell us all about the truth of the Great Dreamtime Snake.
Thinking

Staines, UK

#8029 Apr 4, 2013
AKA Jake the Peg's extra leg.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps these theologians will be Australian Aborigines who will want to tell us all about the truth of the Great Dreamtime Snake.

Nottingham, UK

#8030 Apr 4, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally my belief in evolution has nothing to do with my agnostic beliefs.
Because I see evolution as fact, there is proof all around us, even if you look at parent-child relationships you can see how the child mimics the phenotype of his / her parents.
As an agnostic, yes I say that the Bible COULD be correct, but I also believe it COULD be wrong. I'm not convinced enough either way so I just don't follow atheism or christianity. However, I do lean more towards athiesm than chrisianity, because the concept of a Bible created around 2000 years ago, by human beings, that supposedly explains the meaning of life, DOES seem a bit too farfetched.
Fair do's.

From where I stand, I fail to see how the Bible can be the perfect writings of a perfect god.

Consider this:

A perfect and omniscient entity like the god of the Bible (who we hear is positively overflowing with love for his people) creates a primitive and barbaric justice system and expects his creation to enact it.

or

A primitive and barbaric people produce tales of a primitive and barbaric god who wants his followers to follow a primitive and barbaric justice system. Which, co-incidentally, is the only kind of justice these people know.

Which is more likely?
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#8031 Apr 4, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm saying that idiots like you think that evolution is tied to atheism somehow. That's why you vomit out your ignorance to atheists and honestly believe you have posed the ultimate gotcha question to those smart aleck atheists. When the only thing you have done is knock over all the chess pieces and sh!t on the chessboard.
The only kink between atheism and evolution is ignorance. Proved 100% by the language you use in your posts.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#8032 Apr 4, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean your deluded fantasy-reality.
You keep getting mixed up.
Donkeys don't talk in reality, in your delusional mind they do.
It's funny how you think you live in reality.
One donkey talked by the power of GOD no problem, lets look at you deluded mindset, it rained and formed a puddle and out of said puddle life sprung able to mate with.... wait of it a second life form genetically close enough to mate. HAHAHA what a deluded mind evolutionist have.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#8033 Apr 4, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
No science will give you 100% proof
The best that science does is to provide theories which represent our very best explanations.
Science has provided many theories to explain observable phenomena.
How many theories? I don't know - probably many thousands.
You know what?
Not one of those theories has used magic as an explanation.
No science will give you 100% proof for evolution I agree you cannot prove a myth with science.

No one uses magic as an explanation just myth, extrapolation and guess work.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#8034 Apr 4, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"Nullius in verba"
It's Latin. It means "On the word of no one" or "Take nobody's word for it".
It's also the motto of the Royal Society which was one of the very earliest scientific institutes.
It's all about rejecting authority; especially inane ramblings of late Iron Age goat herders.
So why do you and the RS not reject Darwin's lies.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#8035 Apr 4, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally my belief in evolution has nothing to do with my agnostic beliefs.
Because I see evolution as fact, there is proof all around us, even if you look at parent-child relationships you can see how the child mimics the phenotype of his / her parents.
As an agnostic, yes I say that the Bible COULD be correct, but I also believe it COULD be wrong. I'm not convinced enough either way so I just don't follow atheism or christianity. However, I do lean more towards athiesm than chrisianity, because the concept of a Bible created around 2000 years ago, by human beings, that supposedly explains the meaning of life, DOES seem a bit too farfetched.
You should go back beyond the 2000 year mark, the Torah was written way beyond that.

I am fascinated why you would think family dynamics prove evolution. Very odd thing to say.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#8036 Apr 4, 2013
'He who's name we shall not speak'through his wisdom will deside the path of relgion in America,and soon the world.

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#8038 Apr 4, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
He who's name we shall not speak'
Oh, come-on !!... speak his name .. what you got to hide

Nottingham, UK

#8039 Apr 4, 2013
<quoted text>
No science will give you 100% proof for evolution I agree you cannot prove a myth with science.
No one uses magic as an explanation just myth, extrapolation and guess work.
No science will give you 100% proof for anything.

Be it gravity, atomic structure, thermodynamics, magnetism, evolution, etc.

When you reject science and substitute it with gods, demons, monsters, giants, etc, you're using magic.

Nottingham, UK

#8040 Apr 4, 2013
<quoted text>
So why do you and the RS not reject Darwin's lies.
Because TOE represents the best explanation we've got.

Far better than the idea of every single species of flora and fauna being poofed into existence by magic.

Nottingham, UK

#8041 Apr 4, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
'He who's name we shall not speak'through his wisdom will deside the path of relgion in America,and soon the world.
That's "whose".
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#8042 Apr 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Evolution is factual science with mountains of observable data to back it up.
<quoted text>
And yet none has been produced here to prove you right. PITY. I wonder why.

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#8043 Apr 4, 2013
Oh, but you can't rule it out ....

Only intelligence can beget intelligence
Thinking

Staines, UK

#8044 Apr 4, 2013
Prove it.
His-truth wrote:
Only intelligence can beget intelligence

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Eagle 12 227,527
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 1 hr Patrick 758
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr TheHeadlines 89
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr TheHeadlines 22,214
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr TheHeadlines 75
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr TheHeadlines 58
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 2 hr TheHeadlines 4,093
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE