Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 20 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7796 Apr 2, 2013
All theists are hallucinating fools with no proof of god.

Unbeatable Fact Of Life.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#7797 Apr 2, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but I slow down every time I see a cop. What does that tell ya?
That blue people could affect you in ways you wouldn't like?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#7798 Apr 2, 2013
Oh certainly we all have survival instinct which includes not wanting to suffer. I drive safely on my Roadking an don't really gun the throttle or hot rod around.

But religion focuses on something different the need to go on in some mythical afterlife and the need to worship correctly so you don't go to the wrong one like a burning hell.

Personally I agree with Mark Twain's comment on death.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>"Obliteration of self" is definitely the hard part. That and the fact that dying is usually accompanied by some unpleasantry or another ... like getting my guts splattered all over the freeway by an 18 wheeler on my motorcycle ... I kind of fear that. It's all part of the 'survival instinct' package I guess.
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#7799 Apr 2, 2013
So why do your lot cut the pissflaps out of little girls?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Since humans came without any higher purpose of their lives, who cares what they believe or what they do not believe.
They are just one of the human species out of the millions on this planet. So they should hurry along their lives, till they return to their graves, where billions before them went and billions shall follow after them

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7800 Apr 2, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Obliteration of self" is definitely the hard part. That and the fact that dying is usually accompanied by some unpleasantry or another ... like getting my guts splattered all over the freeway by an 18 wheeler on my motorcycle ... I kind of fear that. It's all part of the 'survival instinct' package I guess.
I don't find the 'obliteration of self' to be that difficult. I figure there was a *long* time in the past where I didn't exist, and there will be a similar *long* time in the future where I do not exist. I will be around for a limited period of time, just like all other humans. After a generation or so, I won't even be a memory. Perhaps some of my mathematics will inspire others, but perhaps not.

The 'unpleasantry' of dying is more my fear. Death usually involves pain or some other discomfort. But then, so does growing older. Eventually the body just gives out.

This candle flame of life will eventually be blown out. I just want it to shine while it can.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7801 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh certainly we all have survival instinct which includes not wanting to suffer. I drive safely on my Roadking an don't really gun the throttle or hot rod around.
But religion focuses on something different the need to go on in some mythical afterlife and the need to worship correctly so you don't go to the wrong one like a burning hell.
Personally I agree with Mark Twain's comment on death.
<quoted text>
Yeppers, Twain makes a lot of sense. It does make the time we are alive and aware very precious, to be lived to the fullest. Religionists see life as a passing inconvenience. I personally can't imagine ANYTHING I would want to do for an 'eternity'. Not visiting dead relatives, not humping whiny virgins and certainly not worshiping some childish deity. Thinking you deserve or can expect to exist 'eternally' seems extremely egotistical to me. Myself, sliding into the end game, I can see where it would be nice to live a little longer, learn some more stuff, enjoy a bonus career or two in interesting fields, get better educated ... but even that would have to get old.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7802 Apr 2, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeppers, Twain makes a lot of sense. It does make the time we are alive and aware very precious, to be lived to the fullest. Religionists see life as a passing inconvenience. I personally can't imagine ANYTHING I would want to do for an 'eternity'. Not visiting dead relatives, not humping whiny virgins and certainly not worshiping some childish deity. Thinking you deserve or can expect to exist 'eternally' seems extremely egotistical to me. Myself, sliding into the end game, I can see where it would be nice to live a little longer, learn some more stuff, enjoy a bonus career or two in interesting fields, get better educated ... but even that would have to get old.
I've often thought that a life of about 2000 years would be enough. That is time enough to get educated, learn a few languages, see things change dramatically, love deeply, and perhaps get tired of seeing the same things again and again.

Anything longer than 100,000 years of life would become pure torture, as far as I can see. The idea of spending 'eternity' doing *anything* would lead to insanity.

Texas, USA

#7803 Apr 2, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't find the 'obliteration of self' to be that difficult. I figure there was a *long* time in the past where I didn't exist, and there will be a similar *long* time in the future where I do not exist. I will be around for a limited period of time, just like all other humans. After a generation or so, I won't even be a memory. Perhaps some of my mathematics will inspire others, but perhaps not.
The 'unpleasantry' of dying is more my fear. Death usually involves pain or some other discomfort. But then, so does growing older. Eventually the body just gives out.
This candle flame of life will eventually be blown out. I just want it to shine while it can.
That, Sir, is because you are a reasonable man or put another way ... a Man of Reason. You inspire me! I made mention of you just this last Easter Sunday, trying (failing) to explain the curvature of Space-Time to a nephew who was unsure of the difference between our solar system, the Milky Way, a galaxy and the Universe. Oh, brave new world with such people in it!

Texas, USA

#7804 Apr 2, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've often thought that a life of about 2000 years would be enough. That is time enough to get educated, learn a few languages, see things change dramatically, love deeply, and perhaps get tired of seeing the same things again and again.
Anything longer than 100,000 years of life would become pure torture, as far as I can see. The idea of spending 'eternity' doing *anything* would lead to insanity.
Wow! Yeah, 2000 years should just about do it!! I was thinking like 200 or something.

Texas, USA

#7805 Apr 2, 2013
"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." Susan Ertz, Anger in the Sky

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7806 Apr 2, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that atheism held the same standing as religion concerning matters of the first ammendment.
(Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38 (1985)),
"At one time it was thought that this right [referring to the right to choose one’s own creed] merely proscribed the preference of one Christian sect over another, but would not require equal respect for the conscience of the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism. But when the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all."
The ruling was put in place because a prison inmate wanted to start a regular discussion group for inmates that had no religion akin to the religious groups already present in the prison. The religious groups were granted special privileges to regularly meet as a group. The inmate was denied being able to form his group because his proposed group didn't fall under the category "religion" so he was denied. The judge saw no reason to deny the formation of the proposed group simply because it wasn't religion based... hence the ruling to include "atheism" in the same category in order to secure the same privileges to meet as a group allowed to the religions.

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#7807 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Trust me child I could tutor you if you could afford it so calm down and let me school you for free on this.
You said you fear oblivion of self or whatever prattle that was. That you had a need to continue after death and how this leads people to religion.
Remember? Need to go read what you posted again? It's okay go ahead and refresh yourself on your own words.... Caught up yet? Good.
This is indeed narcissistic, what have you done for example that is sooooo important and relevant that it simply couldn't be replaced a million times over and must continue forever?
Seriously this doesn't narcissistic to you?
I merely stated, correctly, that death is a natural part of life. It is the inevitable natural conclusion to life. It is as natural as falling asleep and so I fear death as much as I fear taking a nap.
As Mark Twain said:
I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
<quoted text>
You're taking what I said out of context.

You believe that in an ideal situaton I would wish to extend my life beyond death because I believe that I am somehow important and that my mind and intellect couldn't be replaced.

That wasn't the point I was getting at AT ALL.

I was saying that the human being in the majority of cases is genetically conditioned so that they feel the need for survival... if this wasn't the case then we all would have let ourselves die out years ago.

You're misinterpreting what i'm saying. You believe I am narcissistic but all I am really saying is that EVERY human being, consciously or sub-consciously doesn't want to die. We merely push the boundary of death away from ourselves by eating right, exercising, advancing medical science. If you were told you were going to die right this second, and that you would not exist. I doubt you would take the news very calmly.

I don't personally wish the live forever and forever, for my own reasons. I was speaking in an abstract manner saying SOME PEOPLE are driven to religion BECAUSE they FEAR NOT EXISTING.

Also; Child? Afford YOUR tuition? Oh dear someone has a superiority complex. Firstly you have no clue of my actual age. And secondly you have no idea what my annual income or position of power is. Not that i'm saying either is valuable. Hypocrite.

As for the Mark Twain quote. Pre-birth is a state in which one doesn't exist, similar to death. However having lived, and having been aware of what it is like to live, the human mind doesn't want to let go of life.

Why would we openly accept a permanent state of the unknown (death) and give up our temporary and fleetingly short lives? Answer, we wouldn't, because the mind is unable to comprehend death fully.

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#7808 Apr 2, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Obliteration of self" is definitely the hard part. That and the fact that dying is usually accompanied by some unpleasantry or another ... like getting my guts splattered all over the freeway by an 18 wheeler on my motorcycle ... I kind of fear that. It's all part of the 'survival instinct' package I guess.
Agreed,

I also think that all human beings simply push the boundary.

"Oh I don't want to die until i've found love"

"oh I don't want to die until i've reached old age".

We keep pushing the envelope until it falls off the table. We don't do it consciously but unless someone has a pretty miserable existance where they believe death will offer some kind of 'relief' that no one really accepts going into death.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#7809 Apr 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
All theists are hallucinating fools with no proof of god.

Unbeatable Fact Of Life.
Avoid!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7810 Apr 2, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Avoid!
Educated What believes that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs. Yes you read that correctly.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#7811 Apr 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Educated What believes that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs. Yes you read that correctly.
Again? You repeat yourself over and over. Yet not once have you proved that. Now find where I posted that.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#7812 Apr 2, 2013
You can tell the signs of Atheism has come by just listening to the morning news.

Like those two black Atheists that shot that baby and his mother for crack money.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#7813 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Rather narcissistic yes?
<quoted text>
Less narcissistic than believing an almighty, all knowing being created this entire universe just for us.

#7814 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Rather narcissistic yes?
<quoted text>
OIC, you are agreeing with her, my bad!!

#7815 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Trust me child I could tutor you if you could afford it so calm down and let me school you for free on this.
You said you fear oblivion of self or whatever prattle that was. That you had a need to continue after death and how this leads people to religion.
Remember? Need to go read what you posted again? It's okay go ahead and refresh yourself on your own words.... Caught up yet? Good.
This is indeed narcissistic, what have you done for example that is sooooo important and relevant that it simply couldn't be replaced a million times over and must continue forever?
Seriously this doesn't narcissistic to you?
I merely stated, correctly, that death is a natural part of life. It is the inevitable natural conclusion to life. It is as natural as falling asleep and so I fear death as much as I fear taking a nap.
As Mark Twain said:
I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
<quoted text>
Ooops! I was right the first time ... <sigh!>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min polymath257 238,321
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Aura Mytha 18,843
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 6 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 6 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 14 hr thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism 17 hr Koala_Gums 1,340
More from around the web