Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14659 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#7754 Apr 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>We've been saying that for ages. Please f*ck off.
You are something else. It's fun ticking you off.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7755 Apr 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I fear death as much as I fear taking a nap. Death is merely part of nature.
<quoted text>
It is, but it ain't. I think DNA molecules know about 'transcription errors' and program organisms for death to keep the code relatively intact. I think death, from 'old age' at least, is as natural as any other disease and just as curable. Transcription errors remain a problem. How about lead-lined snow shoes?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#7756 Apr 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an interesting statement. However, it is only provable at the time of your death, and then, only if you know it is imminent.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7757 Apr 1, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You are something else. It's fun ticking you off.
We should expect perversity in fun from a person that actually believes that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs for real.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#7758 Apr 1, 2013
It is a true statement regardless if you find it interesting or not. I enjoy life and waste not one second ever dreading death. Rather I live a good healthy lifestyle and try to naturally. I would fear pain and suffering and say if some gunman was pointing a gun at me it would be tragic. But the actual death thing scares me as much as taking a nap.

Everybody is going to die just as every living person is going to sleep. I don't fear death anymore than I fear going to sleep.
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>That's an interesting statement. However, it is only provable at the time of your death, and then, only if you know it is imminent.

United States

#7759 Apr 1, 2013
Oh certainly we have extended our life and quality of life greatly and will continue to do so. I read a report saying that the first upcoming 150 year old could have been born.

Interesting stuff.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>It is, but it ain't. I think DNA molecules know about 'transcription errors' and program organisms for death to keep the code relatively intact. I think death, from 'old age' at least, is as natural as any other disease and just as curable. Transcription errors remain a problem. How about lead-lined snow shoes?

Location hidden

#7760 Apr 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>We should expect perversity in fun from a person that actually believes that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs for real.
The typical rant to theists. Keep going, you're entertaining.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#7761 Apr 1, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>It was implied..
Actually, no it wasn't.
Any rational human being would have read my comment and seen that I was talking about people who believe the Earth is only 6'000 years old.
I didn't say anything about all religious people, and I definitely didn't imply it.

I could say the same about your comments, that you implied pigs can fly, even though you didn't make any mention of that.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#7762 Apr 1, 2013
You gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you are stupid Carbon Dioxide CO2 contains carbon and oxygen, You are one very stupid evolutionist. Like the rest you are ignorant and brainwashed.
If you think CO2 is the same as O2, breathe 100% CO2 for a week and get back to me, M'kay?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#7763 Apr 1, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>There is evidence for what is past the event horizon of a black hole? Amazing. What evidence is that?
The gravitational pull. Haven't you been paying attention?
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#7764 Apr 1, 2013
TOPIX should provide a Godbot filter for the atheist forums. Icon to indicate Godbot.

Something intuitive that automatically sends the Godbot to a robust religious site or creates a new thread for them.

Click Icon > select 'reply' > (site to transfer to) > BEGONE SATAN!

:)

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#7765 Apr 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
I myself don't fear death in the vague sense, as I also know that it is part of the natural cycle of things.

And the very fact that I am even alive, on this planet is nothing more than a mathematical miracle.

What I do fear however, is the obliteration of self, and that at any moment, I will cease to be.

It is that fear, and that concept which drives people to religion. Because they don't want to accept the idea that once they are dead... Click... they are turned off for good.

I don't believe a fear of death, or acceptance of death necessarily makes someone better or worse than his peers though. I just don't see the need to run to a religion in order to try and make sense of it, only to then have a superiority complex over all other living things (particularly those who aren't human such as animals) who don't share their faith.

Sparkle <3

#7766 Apr 1, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not accepting the concept of death and having a strong survival instinct probably go hand in hand. DNA molecules certainly want the organisms they encapsulate themselves within to have a strong survival instinct. Religion (and dreams of postmortem immortality) is just some unfortunate, undesired consequence of what is otherwise a perfectly reasonable instinct.
Cool word by the way. It must be really hard to work it into a normal conversation.
Personally I think humans are in a slight evolutionary loophole which caused this concept of religion to evolve.

Without immediate selection pressures; i.e. predation, starvation, need to find shelter, the human race has time to ponder, and wonder why we are here, not just the fact that we are here and we are driven to stay alive.

Therefore I think you're idea is correct, that this concept of survival that is inbred into our DNA has somehow created this undesired effect, because we aren't immediately (assumption here) going to die, we are trying to think of ways to extend our survival inevitably, with the idea of an afterlife.

As we've already done all mundane things possible to extend our life that current medical and scientific knowledge allows.

All that awaits us now is aging and death, and so the brain tries to come up with an idea that perhaps we are able to survive post-mortem.

And thanks... I was having a late night read through some articles and stumbled across it. It's a pretty common condition but some people are complete wrecks from the phobia. I suppose it drives people to religion in less extreme circumstances.

Lexington, KY

#7767 Apr 1, 2013
Rather narcissistic yes?
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>I myself don't fear death in the vague sense, as I also know that it is part of the natural cycle of things.

And the very fact that I am even alive, on this planet is nothing more than a mathematical miracle.

What I do fear however, is the obliteration of self, and that at any moment, I will cease to be.

It is that fear, and that concept which drives people to religion. Because they don't want to accept the idea that once they are dead... Click... they are turned off for good.

I don't believe a fear of death, or acceptance of death necessarily makes someone better or worse than his peers though. I just don't see the need to run to a religion in order to try and make sense of it, only to then have a superiority complex over all other living things (particularly those who aren't human such as animals) who don't share their faith.

Location hidden

#7768 Apr 1, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
TOPIX should provide a Godbot filter for the atheist forums. Icon to indicate Godbot.

Something intuitive that automatically sends the Godbot to a robust religious site or creates a new thread for them.

Click Icon > select 'reply' > (site to transfer to) > BEGONE SATAN!

:)
Start a protest or collect signatures.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#7769 Apr 1, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Start a protest or collect signatures.
Having difficulty with sarcasm, I can help...

A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

We appreciate your support albeit unwitting.

Sparkle <3

#7770 Apr 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Rather narcissistic yes?
<quoted text>
How am I being narcissistic?

I was giving an overview about why people MIGHT be driven towards religion and why some people may or may not be afraid of death.

You're the one who came out with the "oh i'm not afraid of death" post.

Idiot.

Lexington, KY

#7772 Apr 1, 2013
Trust me child I could tutor you if you could afford it so calm down and let me school you for free on this.

You said you fear oblivion of self or whatever prattle that was. That you had a need to continue after death and how this leads people to religion.

Remember? Need to go read what you posted again? It's okay go ahead and refresh yourself on your own words.... Caught up yet? Good.

This is indeed narcissistic, what have you done for example that is sooooo important and relevant that it simply couldn't be replaced a million times over and must continue forever?

Seriously this doesn't narcissistic to you?

I merely stated, correctly, that death is a natural part of life. It is the inevitable natural conclusion to life. It is as natural as falling asleep and so I fear death as much as I fear taking a nap.

As Mark Twain said:
I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>How am I being narcissistic?

I was giving an overview about why people MIGHT be driven towards religion and why some people may or may not be afraid of death.

You're the one who came out with the "oh i'm not afraid of death" post.

Idiot.
inv e

Tonga

#7773 Apr 1, 2013
Haha, good to see some familiar faces here :)

Anyways, just wanted to ask, do atheists want Atheism to replace theism?

Location hidden

#7774 Apr 1, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>Having difficulty with sarcasm, I can help...

A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

We appreciate your support albeit unwitting.
So I guess the answer is no? Bwahaha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Uncle Sam 239,370
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 32 min Exodus771 7,501
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Thinking 2,203
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr thetruth 19,066
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 3 hr thetruth 124
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr thetruth 7,470
John 3:16 6 hr Son of man 1
More from around the web