Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14655 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#7636 Mar 28, 2013
Fair enough.

When I visited Utah, I had to put my clock back thirty years.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I think with Glasnost, the Fall of the Berlin Wall and various test and weapons limitation treaties, the old clock reversed itself several times in the last few decades.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#7638 Mar 28, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
See, it went down with education.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#7639 Mar 28, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious?
Who here is claiming to be more intelligent than others based solely on what their opinions are?
I do not know how many times the people in here have called someone who believes in a god(s) religitard or ignorant.
When did I claim to be more intelligent?
Why don't you stop throwing lies around?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7640 Mar 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Your atom example was actually backwards and proves my point. Ancient tribal people chanting around a fire didn't bring up the notion of atoms, molecules and such, make a religion based on that and use that as an excuse to attack and kill others.
It was scientific discovery that brought the advancements in our knowledge of microscopic life. The more we learn and advance the further we move away from campfire legends like angry spirits that make it snow when we don't chant properly and more towards microscopic discoveries and weather forecasts on our iPhone yes?
While we don't say god is 100% impossible, we do know from looking at the origins of god and the lack of evidence for their existence the odds of there actually being one is so low it's absurd yes?
Now people are free to live with their comforting god fantasies and delusions if it makes them feel better. They however have no right to lord over other's lives and impede progress by invoking some ancient campfire tribal god's so called wishes.
<quoted text>
There are thousands of gods in the human history, but none of them is more than myths!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7641 Mar 28, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they're taking advantage of a strange little philosophical conundrum. That being that you can't 'prove' anything that doesn't exist, doesn't exist. Not with our imaginations being what they are. What kind of 'evidence' does something that doesn't exist leave? None ... ever. God is just one of any number of imaginary things we could come up with and never be able to 'prove' doesn't really exist.
On the brighter side, I think it is possible to 'prove' that Rational Skepticism is a better way to look at the world than religious faith. It's clear that we didn't pray our way to the top of the food chain. In their heart-of-hearts, even the most devout must KNOW that they are fooling themselves.
Whatever we disagree, the nuclear age to ignore or not is a fact for the extinction of the human race. We are on this way like it or not!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7642 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The clocks are changing soon.
<quoted text>
WE don`t need armageddon we are on our way of extermination as a human race! The atomic inferno is on our way!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7643 Mar 28, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. Do they?
http://ed.ted.com/lessons/what-s-invisible-mo...
As far as I concerned not a single god has ever proved to be a reality!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7644 Mar 28, 2013
Jm Shortz wrote:
<quoted text>
When I visited the UK, I understood that teabags have submitted to islam
Yeah, we're less religious than the US and we're about to throw it all away and embrace Allah.

Right.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7645 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The clocks are changing soon.
<quoted text>
In the atomic age we are now too late for a reversal of saving mankind. We had our time as human beings and we have wasted our life!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7646 Mar 28, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
The Doomsday clock is an exception ... thank goodness.
Of course we are on our way out of life! Religions are not even have any meaning any more!
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#7647 Mar 28, 2013
Calm down, dear.

Per GW, more people are killed by wind turbines than by nuclear power.
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
In the atomic age we are now too late for a reversal of saving mankind. We had our time as human beings and we have wasted our life!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7648 Mar 28, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the memory of a goldfish. You posted:-
<quoted text>
"ERROR 1" Shows you know nothing about or reject black body radiators Classical Physics and Quantum Mechanics.
"ERROR 2" Shows you know nothing about or reject black body radiators Classical Physics, Atomic Physics, Astrophysics and Quantum Mechanics.
"ERROR 3" Shows you know nothing about or reject Classical Physics, Astrophysics, Nuclear Physics Atomic Physics, and Quantum Mechanics.
"ERROR 4" Shows you know nothing about or reject Classical Physics, Astrophysics and Instrumentation.
"ERROR 5" Shows you do not have clue what you are talking about so goddidit.
So in essence you are saying ALL modern science is BS.
<quoted text>
Here again you display your utter ignorance of all things scientific:-
1. Yes Gravity is a fact, but the Theory of Gravity or how it works is still been worked on.
2. Evolution is a fact. The Theory of Evolution or how it works is still been worked on.
BTW To quote "hidding":-
"Evolution is the science all modern Biology hangs on."
In the nuclear age we are too late as human beings to survive!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7649 Mar 28, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
The Doomsday clock is an exception ... thank goodness.
Faith is a phantasm no more!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7650 Mar 28, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
So here's a radical idea: let's discuss the original topic of this tread. We often move on to other lines of though after the original one has been exhausted, but I don't think that's true in this case.
Many topics whose descriptions begin with the word "Why" either present or look for explanations for phenomena that haven't been demonstrated--call it the fallacy of the leading question, if you will. So the first question to examine is whether atheism will replace religion at all.
I don't think that it will within my lifetime. Perhaps it won't happen at all. The pattern over the course of what little recorded history I've been able to absorb is that, while the nature and intensity of societal religion varies wildly over time, societies tend to share common religious beliefs. Modern times are different in that unprecedented rates of immigration have created societies comprised of multiple religious subpopulations, but the world's societies are still overwhelmingly religious except where multigenerational oppression has driven religion far underground.
Some believe that increased levels of education will erode religion down to nothingness, but recent statistics are showing that as college educations become more commonplace, the degreed populations become less agnostic/atheistic. I think this may be because the nature of college studies are changing along with that trend, with more focus on the acquisition of technical skills and knowledge and less on such elements of a classical education. We are beginning to see this at the high school levels now as reading standards are focusing on technical nonfiction at the expense of more traditional literature.
Contrary to what might be intuitive for some, I think that shift in focus lessens the degree of introspection that brings about shifts in outlooks and beliefs, and could actually leave the kind of societal intellectual vacuum that engenders a resurgence of religion rather than a continuation of its erosion. Only an educational philosophy that encourages fearless introspection with an emphasis on skeptical logical analysis would continue that trend in the college educated subpopulation. Continued shift in focus to technical expertise erodes that aspect of advanced education.
I used to be endlessly amused by President Eisenhower's shock when he was informed that full one half of the U.S. population was of below average education. Now I feel obligated to point out that the statistic will remain true even if more than 50% of the population attains higher education and that that 50% will remain tenaciously religious for a very long time.
That's why religion probably won't replace religion in the foreseeable future.
In the "foreseeable future" an atomic inferno will end mankind!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7651 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
In general, clocks go forwards.
<quoted text>
In Hiroshima the atombombing interupted any clock since then! Fukushima is the continuation of Hiroshima but the end is coming soon! Forget all religions!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7652 Mar 28, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes.. I do.
Teachers, priests and politicians are quicken the end of mankind in capitalism like it or not!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7653 Mar 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Your atom example was actually backwards and proves my point. Ancient tribal people chanting around a fire didn't bring up the notion of atoms, molecules and such, make a religion based on that and use that as an excuse to attack and kill others.
It was scientific discovery that brought the advancements in our knowledge of microscopic life. The more we learn and advance the further we move away from campfire legends like angry spirits that make it snow when we don't chant properly and more towards microscopic discoveries and weather forecasts on our iPhone yes?
While we don't say god is 100% impossible, we do know from looking at the origins of god and the lack of evidence for their existence the odds of there actually being one is so low it's absurd yes?
Now people are free to live with their comforting god fantasies and delusions if it makes them feel better. They however have no right to lord over other's lives and impede progress by invoking some ancient campfire tribal god's so called wishes.
<quoted text>
No, we don`t have to understand many things any more since we are on the atomic inferno. There is no come back any more for human beings. Anything is now too late!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7654 Mar 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What I have always said.
And so you agree since that the religious can't even demonstrate their delusional god to be real we have no reason to allow them to invoke his so called rules to lord over others?
<quoted text>
Well, the nuclear inferno is "lord over" anything else!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7655 Mar 28, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever we disagree, the nuclear age to ignore or not is a fact for the extinction of the human race. We are on this way like it or not!
We've made it this far. Maybe everything will be okay.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#7656 Mar 28, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, feel-good supernatural assertions garner a large base from little more than anecdotal "evidence", filling what is seemingly an almost universal 'need'. Godbots continue to rule the roost and it is our unhappy fate to rock their little boat.
Maybe, Godbots may continue, the nuclear inferno too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min polymath257 243,435
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr ChristineM 9,407
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Brian_G 19,796
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 11 hr thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Sat Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web