Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14735 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#7285 Mar 12, 2013
No that's not what I am saying at all. Read my post again and from now on think before you post. Before you click post comment really look at the post you are responding to and what you are saying.

Just trying to help. You're welcome.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
You're doing the same thing McFly. You scream about those who kill in the name of religion, so therefore all people of religious faith must be like that.

Since: May 11

Brighton, UK

#7286 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
your generalizations seem to hold as generalizations .
Joseph Stalin was an atheist in power.
Stalin repressed and killed his people by the million because he was a vicious despot. He was not compelled to do it by the central tenets of `atheism` because there are none. He was the `godhead` on his own account. He was and is even today able to command love and respect from the russians, statues of him are still erected even by his faithful.

The central tenets of most religions require adherence to a doctrine(hence differing faiths and denominations), if one strays from those doctrines there will be an eternal sanction for that in the afterlife.

My generalisations hold with all religions...generally.

Please by all means attempt to apply them to `organised atheism`...not that there is such a thing.

I await your response with interest.
Lincoln

United States

#7287 Mar 12, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin repressed and killed his people by the million because he was a vicious despot. He was not compelled to do it by the central tenets of `atheism` because there are none. He was the `godhead` on his own account. He was and is even today able to command love and respect from the russians, statues of him are still erected even by his faithful.
The central tenets of most religions require adherence to a doctrine(hence differing faiths and denominations), if one strays from those doctrines there will be an eternal sanction for that in the afterlife.
Please by all means attempt to apply them to `organised atheism`...not that there is such a thing.
"My generalisations hold with all religions...generally".??

Communism is/was atheist materialist.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#7288 Mar 12, 2013
Stalin is still beloved by the Russian people to this day and is a saint in the Russian Orthodox Church for all the help and money he gave them. He always had a soft spot for them as he went to priest school.
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>

Brighton, UK

#7289 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you equating Stalinism with Communism?

Didn`t you question my[emphasis] historical education earlier? LOL

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#7290 Mar 12, 2013
In a quick check of Google, I found this about the 15 Principles of Atheism. It's an interesting read, and would probably be a good place to start, if anyone really wants to have an intelligent discussion of Atheism vs. Religious.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-...

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#7291 Mar 12, 2013
Whoops. Posted the wrong link. Here is the proper one. Sorry.

http://www.unitedstatesatheists.com/cgi-bin/p...
Lincoln

United States

#7292 Mar 12, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you equating Stalinism with Communism?

Didn`t you question my[emphasis] historical education earlier? LOL
1. Stalin is regarded as a communist, yes. Apologists for communism like the term "Stalinism".

Historical Ed.
2. Depends , if you have read any of John Lukacs :-)

Brighton, UK

#7293 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere in Marx or Engels or Lenin does it call for organised worship of the political elites.

Nowhere in any of the major works on the communist political system does it state that a newspaper bearing the picture of the `dear leader` is not to be used to wipe ones behind after defecation or to wrap fish.

This is religious behaviour not communist behaviour. Stalinism was and is a quasi-religious movement.
Lincoln

United States

#7294 Mar 12, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere in Marx or Engels or Lenin does it call for organised worship of the political elites.
Nowhere in any of the major works on the communist political system does it state that a newspaper bearing the picture of the `dear leader` is not to be used to wipe ones behind after defecation or to wrap fish.
This is religious behaviour not communist behaviour. Stalinism was and is a quasi-religious movement.
.......obviously if YOU say so!:-)

This might have been news to Stalin.:-)

“Life enthusiast”

Since: Mar 13

Daytona Beach Shores

#7295 Mar 12, 2013
There is some kind of higher power, but I don't think it has anything to do with modern or any religion. Religious leaders are all corrupt and it is getting harder and harder to believe what they say. It is more of the traditional discipline for societies to "follow" someone , to support some kind of idea... etc etc... God has nothing to do with that...I just focus on being a good person and learn thing every day.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#7296 Mar 12, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You got that right....I might just add "the names which appear on Title page, have no connection with the "real authors" of the book.
For Example: First five books of OT were not written by Moses.
Samuel-1 and Samuel-2 were not written by Samuel.
Book of Psalms was not written by David..
And so on
These are anonymous books which "faith" has turned into scripture.
Indeed.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#7297 Mar 12, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
They believe that everything is true, all the stories, every last one...but if it has evidence to back it up, or it has been proven, then it is false.
They live the opposite of a logical life.
They appear to have made a false idol of the Bible.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#7298 Mar 12, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Whoops. Posted the wrong link. Here is the proper one. Sorry.
http://www.unitedstatesatheists.com/cgi-bin/p...
I can't see why an atheist would be interested in them. I would just use this...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist

Atheism, agnosticism and secularism are essentially religious terms in that they're not much use without religion or religious faith or beliefs. I'm disinterested in anyone's "principles of atheism" and I don't see them as helpful when discussing religion/atheism.

Brighton, UK

#7299 Mar 12, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
.......obviously if YOU say so!:-)
This might have been news to Stalin.:-)
When Stalin`s son Vasilli was in danger of being exposed as a drunk he invoked his fathers name, when he was told of this Joseph Stalin rebuked his son who replied, "but I`m Stalin too".

The response:

“No you’re not, You’re not Stalin and I’m not Stalin. Stalin is Soviet power. Stalin is what he is in the newspapers and the portraits, not you, not even me!”

This kind of ethereal iconography is completely religious.
Lincoln

United States

#7300 Mar 12, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
When Stalin`s son Vasilli was in danger of being exposed as a drunk he invoked his fathers name, when he was told of this Joseph Stalin rebuked his son who replied, "but I`m Stalin too".
The response:
“No you’re not, You’re not Stalin and I’m not Stalin. Stalin is Soviet power. Stalin is what he is in the newspapers and the portraits, not you, not even me!”
This kind of ethereal iconography is completely religious.
When historians think of Stalin's character, religion is not the one of factors that comes to mind.:-)

On an atheist thread ...Stalin, Hitler, and Trotsky seem often identified as religious
rather than Atheist's in power :-)

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#7301 Mar 12, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I can't see why an atheist would be interested in them. I would just use this...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
Atheism, agnosticism and secularism are essentially religious terms in that they're not much use without religion or religious faith or beliefs. I'm disinterested in anyone's "principles of atheism" and I don't see them as helpful when discussing religion/atheism.
Agnosticism is anything but a religion. Simply put it is "I don't know". As to the others you mention, and religion, I don't care, cause I don't know. End of discussion for me.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#7302 Mar 12, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely put.

What many Christians don't realise is that Communism is advocated in the Bible.

Check out the story of Ananias and Sapphira:

There you'll see that the principle of killing those who don't conform to the collectivisation of goods/property was a biblical one. This was nearly two thousand years before the advent of Marx and Engels.

In this case, the collective was the church as opposed to the state.

Ananias and Sapphira chose to defy the collective and they were killed for their efforts. It's clear that defying the collective has fatal consequences whether it be Christian or Communist.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#7303 Mar 12, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnosticism is anything but a religion. Simply put it is "I don't know". As to the others you mention, and religion, I don't care, cause I don't know. End of discussion for me.
Hi Ralph.
I didn't say or imply that agnosticism was a religion; nor misuse any of the words. You appear to have misunderstood my post?

Anyway, I tried to contact that group (by the way), but they don't seem to receive e-mails or phone calls at present. I don't usually bother, but I hadn't heard of that particular group and was curious and had a few minutes on my hands. They seem out of business, perhaps?

Cheers.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#7304 Mar 12, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>You're doing the same thing McFly. You scream about those who kill in the name of religion, so therefore all people of religious faith must be like that.
Who's the one that claimed certain people have no morals in the first place? You and your ilk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 40 min Al Caplan 83,060
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 44 min Al Caplan 2,554
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web