Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
6,961 - 6,980 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013
TEAPARTY CHURCHGOER

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

EVILUTION is satans work and the party proves it by telling you all the CREATINISM is the way to go and if you don go along then you gotta go. Bless the teaparty and we will stop the communists and hubert chavez and socialits security and medicaire from hell.

Since: May 11

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

TEAPARTY CHURCHGOER wrote:
EVILUTION is satans work and the party proves it by telling you all the CREATINISM is the way to go and if you don go along then you gotta go. Bless the teaparty and we will stop the communists and hubert chavez and socialits security and medicaire from hell.
Teabaggers are funny...

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

I kind of simplify evolution and the origin of species to this:

There was and IS only ONE "life form" on Earth ... DNA. Whatever it's origins, whether in a 'puddle' on this planet or some other, the molecule has a single imperative ... REPRODUCE. And reproduce it does, adding whatever accessories that help it meet it's imperative. Clearly, such a molecule would eventually fill every hospitable ecological niche on a planet.

That is exactly what we see. From deep hydro-thermal vents to hardy lichens clinging to rocks on high mountains ... life. One thing in common to it all ... DNA. Every living thing on Earth is related, we are all direct ancestors to that first viable molecule. Encoded in modern DNA is all the tricks and techniques and variations that have served the molecule well over billions of years. We call it 'junk' or 'non-encoding' but it has a purpose ... sort of a molecular library.

The library has been burned numerous times. The chains broken, but the resilient molecule lives on. That's why some relatively simple organisms have incongruously huge genomes, they've survived relatively unchanged, their 'libraries' haven't been reset in a long time.

If correct, this brings up interesting possibilities. One being that the original DNA synthesis did not necessarily have to occur on Earth. We might all be aliens. Another being that given the very slow transport mechanisms available and the well established time frames involved, we can set limits on how far the 'parent' molecule might have traveled. I really can't see anything hitching a ride on impact ejecta making it to another star. But hey, never say never ... right?

When we learn to 'read' the books in some of these libraries they're gonna tell us one hell of a story. So I say to the Geneticists and Molecular Biologists out there ... get busy!

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
http://catholicism.about.com/b /2007/08/04/evolution-and-cath olicism-compatible-pope-says.h tm
Almost 11 years ago, Pope John Paul II, in an address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, caused quite a stir by declaring that "new knowledge has led to the recognition of the theory of evolution as more than a hypothesis." Some Catholics, particularly traditionalists, believed that the Holy Father was stepping outside of his competence in making judgments on scientific matters. Others, including Catholic scientists, welcomed Pope John Paul's reaffirmation of the traditional Catholic principle that "Truth cannot contradict truth." In other words, to the extent that the theory of evolution has a solid scientific basis, it must be compatible with Catholic doctrine.
A decade before, the secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, delivered a series of homilies that were published in 1990 under the title In the Beginning ...: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall. In those homilies, he made a similar argument: The creation story in Genesis is a spiritual history. It simply doesn't matter what physical means God used to create the world and all living creatures therein; what matters is that man is both body and soul, and his creation is not complete until God has breathed the breath of life into him. And about the creation of the soul (and, thus, of the complete man), science can tell us nothing.
It's swell that some kind of an organized religion deigns to acknowledge that our (humanity's) hard won "new knowledge" is valid. Thanks for the bone, Organized Religion. It's regrettable that nothing in our "new knowledge" tends to validate organized religion, else we would return the favor.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Why do you people feel the need to mix politics and religion? We really DON'T want to mix the two up again. Bad move. Just look at some of MUQ's posts. Scary. Y'all have really pissed in the brew and ruined the Tea Party's original agenda, which I pretty much agreed with (smaller government, less regulation, etc.). I don't even want to be on the same INTERNET with you people now, you messed up everything.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Riverside is that you?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

You gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you failed to read the pervious posts I was responding to, YOU LOSE FOOL>
By the way if plants need oxygen to live how did they evolve without it.
Plants don't need oxygen to live, they need Carbon Dioxide, ninny. Oxygen is a waste by product of plants.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Oxygen is only partly a waste product it is still needed for the plant to survive.
Only some plants, not all require Oxygen.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Once again I have removed you expectative.
Why then do you dismiss the BIBLE out of hand at least it is factual
How is the Bible factual in a way that Superman comics are not factual?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I was so hoping that some fool would post this then accuse me of lying, NO I DID NOT LIE< NO I DID NOT EVEN MISS-QUOTE ONE OF YOUR HIGH PRIESTS. I quoted exactly what he said and you simply added some more.
Let us not forget that he said (which you so proudly posted):
“Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certain the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life”
Now let’s count the “Ifs” in this statement = 3 (in 3 lines), then there are other indecisions like “can be shown”,“should be useful” and so on throughout the entire gospel of the book of darwin.
The entire book is a joke it is made up of the ramblings of a mad man who had spent too much time alone on a ship away from his family where his rightful place was.
I wonder if the same can be said for the chicken (or any other egg). Just perhaps the first egg evolved without shell, yolk or membrane, I wonder what held it together…..nothing is just went plop, splat and of species. Evolution at it’s all time best.
Hello liar

Haven't you got some prayers to make?

You know: the ones where you thank your invisible sky pixie for not making you female?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholics had the first Canonized Bible. Your protestant Bible came about hundreds of years later. You don't appear to know any of the historical circumstances surrounding the Bible do you.
Absolutely!

The Bible didn't exist before the Catholics put it together.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
We JEWS had our BIBLE long before your RCC perversion was dreamed up by anyone.
You Jews had the Torah.

That is not the same as the Bible.

Why do you lie so much?

Do you like lying for your invisible sky pixie?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
The original was call "Ha Tanach"
Ha Tanach?

Sounds like you're gobbing something up.

You got a heavy cold?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

<quoted text>
Well I guess you obviously cannot use an atlas so let me educate you.
There are 9 planets in our solar system, although there is debate as to weather to include Pluto as a planet or even to include some of the larger moon of other planets as actual planets. Recent trending is that there may be another planet further out than Pluto. The actual number is debated by many in science.
It is so sad that you need me to educate you or are you perhaps younger that your 14 your sister and too shy to ask her.
What does the Bible have to say about this?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Okay Poe your screen name gives it away you are just kidding. You really aren't this stupid.
<quoted text>
That's exactly what I'm coming to realise.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

<quoted text>
I guess you need an education.
I'm waiting. Prove your assertion that carbon dating is false.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
http://catholicism.about.com/b /2007/08/04/evolution-and-cath olicism-compatible-pope-says.h tm
Almost 11 years ago, Pope John Paul II, in an address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, caused quite a stir by declaring that "new knowledge has led to the recognition of the theory of evolution as more than a hypothesis." Some Catholics, particularly traditionalists, believed that the Holy Father was stepping outside of his competence in making judgments on scientific matters. Others, including Catholic scientists, welcomed Pope John Paul's reaffirmation of the traditional Catholic principle that "Truth cannot contradict truth." In other words, to the extent that the theory of evolution has a solid scientific basis, it must be compatible with Catholic doctrine.
A decade before, the secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, delivered a series of homilies that were published in 1990 under the title In the Beginning ...: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall. In those homilies, he made a similar argument: The creation story in Genesis is a spiritual history. It simply doesn't matter what physical means God used to create the world and all living creatures therein; what matters is that man is both body and soul, and his creation is not complete until God has breathed the breath of life into him. And about the creation of the soul (and, thus, of the complete man), science can tell us nothing.
Under the assumption that God is the creator, there can be no conflict between God's Law and Scientific Law; both would operate under the same rules.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello liar
Haven't you got some prayers to make?
You know: the ones where you thank your invisible sky pixie for not making you female?
Khatru seems full of himself, adjusting to the fact that atheists are on the decline.
Possibly the decline of atheists
is assisted by moronic post like his :-)
Cheers
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Sources?
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru seems full of himself, adjusting to the fact that atheists are on the decline.
Possibly the decline of atheists
is assisted by moronic post like his :-)
Cheers

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Oh look, a non-credible source.
Let me rephrase my request:
Give us a source with a person or group of people who still believe it it a planet, and are in the position to question that.

As in astrologists, for one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Catcher1 224,351
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 7 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 8 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 14 hr religionisillness 24
•••
•••