Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,477

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5723 Feb 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do these fairy tales exist in the first place?
<quoted text>
Secular schools also indoctrinate.
<quoted text>
So close'em all down. It they have no virtue, are simply "con" centers of big business, no need for them to exist, now is there.
To Bind Up the Wounds: Catholic Sister Nurses in the U.S. Civil War
Sister Mary Denis Maher. To Bind Up the Wounds: Catholic Sister Nurses in the U.S. Civil War. Reprint. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1999.
The Civil War broke upon the American scene with a ferocity not witnessed in previous wars. The sheer number and severity of casualties overwhelmed the unprepared Union and Confederate medical services. Each side desperately sought to meet the need for hospitals, trained surgeons, medical supplies, and nurses, with varying degrees of success. Both sides employed the services of six hundred nuns from twelve different orders and twenty-one separate religious communities throughout the Union and Confederate territories. Despite a general lack of primary source material, Sister Mary Denis Maher presents compelling evidence that the Catholic nuns were the most qualified nurses available. She points out that the tasks of sisters in mid-nineteenth-century America were "teaching, caring for orphans, nursing the sick and providing spiritual assistance for the dying" (p. 2).
Historically, European orders had been involved in nursing for several hundred years. In the United States, beginning in the early 1800s, orders such as the Sisters of Charity (which provided the largest number of nursing nuns) had been founded primarily, but not solely, as nursing orders. The Sisters of Charity had had prior experience in establishing and administrating cholera hospitals in the epidemics of 1828, 1832, and 1848. They also administered the Baltimore Clinic, the forerunner of the University of Maryland Medical School and Hospital. Other orders had established hospitals (e.g., St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City, 1836).
The Catholic nuns, unlike Protestant women nurses, had already "lived in an organized and structured form of benevolent missionary association" (p. 21). They were also accustomed to a sparse lifestyle that allowed them to readily develop the flexibility to cope with the chaotic situations accompanying war. These attributes, when added to their nursing skills, made them superior. In general, Union and Confederate physicians praised them warmly and actively sought their services. Amazingly, there were instances when they had "immunity of the Cloth," able to freely cross the lines to serve the wounded.
The contributions of Catholic nuns to the nursing in the Civil War have been largely forgotten. These women set a high standard for the fledgling profession, and gained the respect of physicians and patients -- yet the knowledge of their accomplishments faded with the passing of time. The nuns were not self-seeking and generally did not record their experiences. What little primary source material there was has not, unfortunately, been preserved.
In the final analysis, the contributions of the nursing nuns, like those of "the buffalo soldiers" on the western frontier, had to await the arrival of a time in our history relatively unclouded by the prejudices of the past. This is an American story of a group of remarkable women who helped bring order to chaos, providing kindness, humanity, and nursing skills to many Union and Confederate soldiers who, without their presence, would not have survived.
Humans want answers. Fairy tales once sufficed.

In the final analysis, who gets to indoctrinate what into whom is what it's all about. Almost no one is getting indoctrinated into skeptical thinking. Imagine that.

Most Human compassion is embodied in women. Why do you think we keep them oppressed? Why, there'd be no wars at all if we left it up to the women folk!!! Can't have that.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5724 Feb 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am speaking about Islamic teachings and not what Muslims are doing.
A "Muslim" is one who is following the teachings of Islam.
Not one who has name like Ahmad, Khalid, Nasir etc.
What teachings would they be and how do you know they are Islamic?

Oh wait, that's easy.

It the teachings are for men only, then they are Islamic.

Texas, USA

#5725 Feb 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
So, did Jesus really exist? With his new book, Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth, Bart Ehrman, historian and professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, wanted to provide solid historical evidence for the existence of Jesus."I wanted to approach this question as an historian to see whether that's right or not," Ehrman tells weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz.The answer is straightforward and widely accepted among scholars of all faiths, but Ehrman says there is a large contingent of people claiming that Jesus never did exist. These people are also known as mythicists."It was a surprise to me to see how influential these mythicists are," Ehrman says. "Historically, they've been significant and in the Soviet Union, in fact, the mythicist view was the dominant view, and even today, in some parts of the West – in parts of Scandinavia — it is a dominant view that Jesus never existed," he says.Mythicists' arguments are fairly plausible, Ehrman says. According to them, Jesus was never mentioned in any Roman sources and there is no archeological evidence that Jesus ever existed. Even Christian sources are problematic – the Gospels come long after Jesus' death, written by people who never saw the man."Most importantly," he explains, "these mythicists point out that there are Pagan gods who were said to die and rise again and so the idea is that Jesus was made up as a Jewish god who died and rose again."In his book, Ehrman marshals all of the evidence proving the existence of Jesus, including the writings of the apostle Paul."Paul knew Jesus' brother, James, and he knew his closest disciple, Peter, and he tells us that he did," Ehrman says. "If Jesus didn't exist, you would think his brother would know about it, so I think Paul is probably pretty good evidence that Jesus at least existed," he says.In Did Jesus Exist?, Ehrman builds a technical argument and shows that one of the reasons for knowing that Jesus existed is that if someone invented Jesus, they would not have created a messiah who was so easily overcome."The Messiah was supposed to overthrow the enemies – and so if you're going to make up a messiah, you'd make up a powerful messiah," he says. "You wouldn't make up somebody who was humiliated, tortured and the killed by the enemies."So Jesus did exist, but who was he? Ehrman says when historians focus on the life of Jesus, they discover a Jesus who is completely different from the one portrayed by popular culture or by religious texts."The mythicists have some right things to say," Ehrman says. "The Gospels do portray Jesus in ways that are non-historical."When Raz asks Ehrman about his relationship to Jesus, Ehrman says that most of it is very historical but that Jesus teaches us valuable lessons."Jesus' teachings of love, and mercy and forgiveness, I think, really should dominate our lives," he says. "On the personal level, I agree with many of the ethical teachings of Jesus and I try to model my life on them, even though I don't agree with the apocalyptic framework in which they were put."
Did Jesus have any older brothers or sisters? LOL

Texas, USA

#5726 Feb 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot sweep all religions and their teachings with one broom.
I can and do. Makes things a lot simpler than pointing out the numerous fallacies individually.

So ... do you practice or condone this "thighing" thing? That's pretty sick you know. I would say that Islam stands above other religions in it's need of being swept.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#5727 Feb 16, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans want answers. Fairy tales once sufficed.
We still want answers, and "fairy tales" have evolved. The questions are still there though.
In the final analysis, who gets to indoctrinate what into whom is what it's all about. Almost no one is getting indoctrinated into skeptical thinking. Imagine that.
We're all indoctrinated everyday, largely through adverstising. As to skeptical thinking, we all should use more of it. However, even the most skeptical of minds, will sometimes wonder "why"? "Why amm I here"? "Why was I born where I was born, to whom, etc?"
Most Human compassion is embodied in women. Why do you think we keep them oppressed? Why, there'd be no wars at all if we left it up to the women folk!!!
Somehow I doubt that, I just think the wars would be shorter, more frequent, and happen once a month.:)

Git-r-done.
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#5728 Feb 16, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you say that Satan is theistic being.
You also said that the Church of Satan do not recognise a theistic being.
<quoted text>
In other words, you appear to be saying that Satan is not a theistic being.
Satan is a theistic being because he is an object of worship for his followers and they have rituals in order to do so.
These people are theistic satanists.

The church of satan was established by anton lavey, he was an atheist as are the adherants of the church.
They use the name to describe their subconscious feelings of hedonism, greed, etc and justify their action for doing acts to achieve these ends.
These people while describing themselves as satanists are actually atheists for they do not believe in either God or satan as animated beings.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#5729 Feb 16, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. "Billy Christ". He wore thick glasses and drank a lot of beer.

Location hidden

#5730 Feb 16, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
What teachings would they be and how do you know they are Islamic?
Oh wait, that's easy.
It the teachings are for men only, then they are Islamic.
Are prostate glands Islamic?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#5731 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey if you got a crush on Tom Brady suggest that to him. I notice you couldn't refute what I said.
I humbly accept your surrender.
<quoted text>
Silly rabbit Trix are for kids. What did u offer that was worthy of refutation? That Professor Herman is a respected religion scholar? Best selling author? Noted expert on early Christianity? Commentator sought by the History Channel?
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#5732 Feb 16, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>This is an atheist thread* in an atheist forum, you ass wipe. I would never show up in your church, and say what I think of you and your interest in other males danglies. Maybe you should take your crap, to where your kind congregate, you are doing them no favors by mouthing off here.
*for all intents and purposes consider this our(the atheist) living room and when you're pissing all over the place, it says more about who you are, than who you think we are.
I know some atheists personally and they are wonderful people that have allowed me into their living room over a many nights of cold beer.
So I can say that there are some azzes out there as yourself who give you guys a bad wrap.

Texas, USA

#5733 Feb 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
We still want answers, and "fairy tales" have evolved. The questions are still there though.
<quoted text>
We're all indoctrinated everyday, largely through adverstising. As to skeptical thinking, we all should use more of it. However, even the most skeptical of minds, will sometimes wonder "why"? "Why amm I here"? "Why was I born where I was born, to whom, etc?"
<quoted text>
Somehow I doubt that, I just think the wars would be shorter, more frequent, and happen once a month.:)
Git-r-done.
We had to invent gods to provide the "why" factor which everyday experience shows does not exist. How, when and where are better questions.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#5734 Feb 16, 2013
Just because you tossed a lot of man salad and had your prostate poked by dozens of black Muslim inmates doesn't make the prostate Islamic.

Turds are Islamic and Christian because they come out of your christhole.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Are prostate glands Islamic?

Location hidden

#5735 Feb 16, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
We had to invent gods to provide the "why" factor which everyday experience shows does not exist. How, when and where are better questions.
Really?

You can get away free with killing another person, or you can go to death row, depending on the answer to,..."why?".

Powerful, for something that doesn't exist.
Henry

Germany

#5736 Feb 16, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yaaay! Thank you for your kind words - and IANS for bringing me here.
Yeah, the article is basically saying "thanks to a wider access of education, entertainment, health medicine and social connections, religion is dying." I'd agree with that.
Strong belief, as denoted by church attendance and paying attention to religious leaders, is at a historical low and continues to drop. Even those who "believe in God" and are self-professed Christians don't know the Bible, don't attend church, don't think about God much. I see this every day in my classes. Since I teach evolution, people are compelled to write to me "I believe in God, but..." I get these letters all the time instead of the assignments they are supposed to write - telling you the low quality of k-12 education in America, sorry - but few of them are strong believers. Maybe one in every class of 40.
Subsequently I get a few letters - again, only one or two - of people who write "I can't believe someone is talking about their religion again. Don't they understand anything about science?" or other letters disparaging the poor quality of thinking that Creationists have.
So it's moving away from strongly religious for a no. of reasons. America is a nation that draws strength in individuality and there's been a movement toward personalizing religion - each finds their own God. Couple that with the massive amount of easily accessible information - science has crushed all that religion once held on high. Only an uneducated person could be a Bible literalist in today's world. All but the deceitful religious leaders have admitted the world is old, evolution occurs, we don't live in an earth or heliocentric universe - and they've basically had to move to esoteric spiritualism.
The new ways in which we create community without religion make religion redundant. Religion no longer explains the universe around us (or does so with such ridiculous absurdity, it's laughably undermining itself). And I think that's the crux of the matter. Religion isn't necessary if we can form larger than kin-based social bonds through our education, entertainment, economies, treaties, societal laws and so on.
But it will remain a fascinating and rich historical narrative, so that children can ask their parents "why would anyone believe the world was 6000 years old? why would anyone believe in hell?"
Real fascinating for the children is the world of science. The poorer countries have mostly parents who have a poor education and for lack of money parent have not the financial ressources for the education of their children even for their substitution. Capitalism is the real reason for this misere!
Henry

Germany

#5737 Feb 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
And who told you anything from God cannot be misused by humans?
God did create Uranium and see how humans are misusing it for planning to destroy entire humanity?
The religion is from Guide and it is only a set of guidelines for humans to practice and be successful in this world and in the hereafter.
It is like a Doctor’s prescription, it is only effective, if it is used properly and people avoid the prohibitions that are prescribed.
If God wanted to “force” every one to become like angels, what was the need to create humans and give them choice.
It is in the hereafter that the results shall be declared, one group shall go to heavens and another to hell.
Do you know in which group you belong to? I do not know, what about you?
Well forget that insane religions at all. There is no heaven and of course no hell ether. Science is the only target for people.
Henry

Germany

#5738 Feb 16, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus died 2000 years ago and about this human is only very little known. The scriptures are full of fakes, lies and errors. The mighty and rich one have manipulated in the last milleniums whatever they liked in their own interests!
Henry

Germany

#5739 Feb 16, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
If one doesn't believe in a magical fairy in the sky named god, then one doesn't believe in it's children named angels.
Ergo one does not believe in satan since according to your fairy tales, he is a fallen angel.
Therefore satanism has nothing to do with atheism.
You religious nuts have nothing better to do than to deny reality and fact.
Amusing satanism is of course religious garbage than all religions!

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#5740 Feb 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
You can get away free with killing another person, or you can go to death row, depending on the answer to,..."why?".
Powerful, for something that doesn't exist.
I would say it is more about having money and support to pay for a real defense than anything else.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#5741 Feb 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
So, did Jesus really exist? With his new book, Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth, Bart Ehrman, historian and professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, wanted to provide solid historical evidence for the existence of Jesus."I wanted to approach this question as an historian to see whether that's right or not," Ehrman tells weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz.The answer is straightforward and widely accepted among scholars of all faiths, but Ehrman says there is a large contingent of people claiming that Jesus never did exist. These people are also known as mythicists."It was a surprise to me to see how influential these mythicists are," Ehrman says. "Historically, they've been significant and in the Soviet Union, in fact, the mythicist view was the dominant view, and even today, in some parts of the West – in parts of Scandinavia — it is a dominant view that Jesus never existed," he says.Mythicists' arguments are fairly plausible, Ehrman says. According to them, Jesus was never mentioned in any Roman sources and there is no archeological evidence that Jesus ever existed. Even Christian sources are problematic – the Gospels come long after Jesus' death, written by people who never saw the man."Most importantly," he explains, "these mythicists point out that there are Pagan gods who were said to die and rise again and so the idea is that Jesus was made up as a Jewish god who died and rose again."In his book, Ehrman marshals all of the evidence proving the existence of Jesus, including the writings of the apostle Paul."Paul knew Jesus' brother, James, and he knew his closest disciple, Peter, and he tells us that he did," Ehrman says. "If Jesus didn't exist, you would think his brother would know about it, so I think Paul is probably pretty good evidence that Jesus at least existed," he says.In Did Jesus Exist?, Ehrman builds a technical argument and shows that one of the reasons for knowing that Jesus existed is that if someone invented Jesus, they would not have created a messiah who was so easily overcome."The Messiah was supposed to overthrow the enemies – and so if you're going to make up a messiah, you'd make up a powerful messiah," he says. "You wouldn't make up somebody who was humiliated, tortured and the killed by the enemies."So Jesus did exist, but who was he? Ehrman says when historians focus on the life of Jesus, they discover a Jesus who is completely different from the one portrayed by popular culture or by religious texts."The mythicists have some right things to say," Ehrman says. "The Gospels do portray Jesus in ways that are non-historical."When Raz asks Ehrman about his relationship to Jesus, Ehrman says that most of it is very historical but that Jesus teaches us valuable lessons."Jesus' teachings of love, and mercy and forgiveness, I think, really should dominate our lives," he says. "On the personal level, I agree with many of the ethical teachings of Jesus and I try to model my life on them, even though I don't agree with the apocalyptic framework in which they were put."
Too long, no paragraphs=not read.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#5742 Feb 16, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, no evidence. The server will crash and you will be gone.
Sure, you can just go back to living in your own little fantasy land.

I'll stay here in reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 7 min Crazy Mess 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 18 min woodtick57 2,300
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min ChristineM 232,802
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 44 min _Bad Company 124
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 55 min _Bad Company 23,186
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 15 hr Thinking 28
God' existence 16 hr Thinking 57
More from around the web