Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
5,141 - 5,160 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it Mr. Oogah Boogah, Ms. Oogah Boogah, or Mrs.?
What is your basic belief? There is a God, Gods, Goddess, No God... maybe God...ya don't believe in an after life but are taking an extra pair of underwear just in case?
Ha! A dead Christian .... all dressed up and no where to go! <guffa!>

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing." - Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD)

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing." - Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD)
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Didn't he pass away?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't he pass away?
Oh he is really dead that's for sure.
Fitz

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Thomas Jefferson
Your Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD) simply proves that atheism is as old as belief and religion. It demonstrates that the curent crop of atheists have not made any forward progress in proving their disbelief than were they existened intellectually thousands of years ago/

Your Jefferson quote fails because in the current intellectual climate it dosent take courage at all to question the existance of God. On the contrary it is defense of belief that takes courage in many circles. Jefferson himself of course found religious belief to be an indespensable part of the democracy he helped create, and fosaw that its diminishment would mean the end of a free peope in the U.S.

Carl Sagan paints the belief in an afterlife as far too comfortinga notion. Ignoring completley the doctrine of Hell and purgatory. A unconcious sleep and non-existgance would strike most people as nmore comforting a notion than a final judgment by an all knowing God that presuposses a verdictg that can send you to Hell for eternity or purgatory until your soul is cleansed.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So while good advice,not very effective.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>So while good advice,not very effective.
Its not very effective if you're a deluded fool who thinks afterlives are real.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
but jesus lives, right? go on lie some more..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah those who have never created anything would make that "unbiased" comment!!
First try to create something, and then pass comments on other's creations.
I can also pinpoint "Hundreds of defects" in even the best machines that humans create, can't you? And sitting on a couch I have no energy to do any thing but criticise.
There's no such thing as god. Take your cult to somewhere it will be more effective - maybe a part of the world where people are so desperate and poor that they will believe anything to keep the hallucination that they will live on after they are dead going.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not very effective if you're a deluded fool who thinks afterlives are real.
What about "before lives"? We had to come from somewhere.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Fitz wrote:
Carl Sagan paints the belief in an afterlife as far too comfortinga notion. Ignoring completley the doctrine of Hell and purgatory. A unconcious sleep and non-existgance would strike most people as nmore comforting a notion than a final judgment by an all knowing God that presuposses a verdictg that can send you to Hell for eternity or purgatory until your soul is cleansed.
You're missing a key point: none of the people who believe in hell think they're going there.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

We came from our parents. It isn't that hard to understand. Reincarnation is magical thinking nonsense.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
We came from our parents. It isn't that hard to understand. Reincarnation is magical thinking nonsense.
<quoted text>
Soooooo.....its a random crap shoot we were born where we were, to who, when, and how?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>but jesus lives, right? go on lie some more..
Carl Sagan is dead.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

As long as your mother survives after getting pregnant by your father, you are born where she is after say 6-9 months. Seems kinda in stone to me.

How you are born is up to her if she wants to push you out vaginally or do a c-section.

I guess you were thinking your parents prayed or sang a sweet baby wanting song to Jesus and he had one delivered via the stork or something? Sorry that's not how it happens.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Soooooo.....its a random crap shoot we were born where we were, to who, when, and how?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Yes and Jesus has no historical proof to she he even existed.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Carl Sagan is dead.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD) simply proves that atheism is as old as belief and religion. It demonstrates that the curent crop of atheists have not made any forward progress in proving their disbelief than were they existened intellectually thousands of years ago/
Your Jefferson quote fails because in the current intellectual climate it dosent take courage at all to question the existance of God. On the contrary it is defense of belief that takes courage in many circles. Jefferson himself of course found religious belief to be an indespensable part of the democracy he helped create, and fosaw that its diminishment would mean the end of a free peope in the U.S.
Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD) also demonstrates the brutal nature of Christianity as she was one of the first victims that Christianity brutally murdered as an infant religion.

If Jefferson's quote is no longer relevant, why do virtually all US politicians claim one religion or another? Seems your claim is clearly false.

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity."
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Seems he thought a religion divided was no religion at all.

Carl Sagan saw no credible evidence to support the notion of your God, Devil, Heaven or Hell .... nor do I.

You've still got nothing.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I was dead for billions of years before I was born. I don't recall being inconvenienced in the least.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing a key point: none of the people who believe in hell think they're going there.
Brilliant!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Brilliant!
"The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing a key point: none of the people who believe in hell think they're going there."

Brilliant? You think so?
First off it's not true.

To quote Milton. "It's better to rule in hell then to serve in heaven"

Satanism has many that believe in hell and believe they are going there.

As for the rest those that believe there is a hell also read enough of the book to understand how not to wind up there.

Not really Brilliant, just common sense.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
As long as your mother survives after getting pregnant by your father, you are born where she is after say 6-9 months. Seems kinda in stone to me.
How you are born is up to her if she wants to push you out vaginally or do a c-section.
I guess you were thinking your parents prayed or sang a sweet baby wanting song to Jesus and he had one delivered via the stork or something? Sorry that's not how it happens.
<quoted text>
Mrs. Oogah Boogah

So is it a crap shoot?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••