Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,434

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#499 Dec 6, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree in a large part, but then atheists are usually the more educated portion of the population. Can you explain this disparity in a little more detail for me please?
Are you talking about college degrees on a more 'vocational' curriculum? More 'how to' manuals and less focus on critical thinking skill, perhaps.
Also, what about the field of Psychiatry....working with personality disorders on both the medical and therapeautic levels. Let's face it some people crave the crutch of religion.
I don't think mankind will ever abandon religion completely, the human condition is what it is....in all it's beautiful variaty.
I personally, would like to see the stigma removed from atheism and to see religion safely in the minority at the very least. We have enough problems with fundamentalists trying to control legislation, education and society's notions of morality.
According to Oxford's Alister McGrath, Atheism's "future seems increasingly to lie in the private beliefs of individuals rather than in the great public domain it once regarded as its habitat"

Reasons cited for the decline of atheism include:

Substantive challenges to naturalistic explanations for the origin of life;

Substantive challenges to psychological theories viewing religion as a pathology, and a scientific demonstration of the health benefits of a spiritual life;

Philosophical challenges to the presuppositions and axioms of atheism, such as materialism;

The decline of Marxism and Leninism;

Tenuousness of belief in atheism by many of its own believers;

Reduction in atheism and resurgence of theistic belief worldwide;

Inhuman acts committed by atheists throughout the 20th century.

July 3, 2005, the New York Times
"A return to religion in Romania and the region's other formerly Communist countries has in many places outrun the speed at which the church can screen and train clergy..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/internation...

In atheistic Communist China, Christianity is experiencing explosive growth
http://www.millennialstar.org/christianity-ex...


In 2011, the American Spectator citing research published in the International Bulletin of Missionary Research reported that atheism is on the decline as a whole in terms of adherents .

The American Spectator declared:

“ The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."


http://spectator.org/archives/2011/02/28/thri...


In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day
http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resources/docume...

In 2012, a Georgetown University study was published indicating that only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

Even worse
A 2008 survey of 35,000 Americans by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life revealed that 21% of those claiming to be atheists said they believed in God. The same study revealed that 55% of those claiming to be agnostics and 66% of those claiming to be secular unaffiliated also believed in God.

://www.scribd.com/doc/54298794 /Pew-survey-21-of-atheists-bel ieve-in-God
Thinking

UK

#500 Dec 6, 2012
Priest wank.
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Oxford's Alister McGrath, Atheism's "future seems increasingly to lie in the private beliefs of individuals rather than in the great public domain it once regarded as its habitat"
Reasons cited for the decline of atheism include:
Substantive challenges to naturalistic explanations for the origin of life;
Substantive challenges to psychological theories viewing religion as a pathology, and a scientific demonstration of the health benefits of a spiritual life;
Philosophical challenges to the presuppositions and axioms of atheism, such as materialism;
The decline of Marxism and Leninism;
Tenuousness of belief in atheism by many of its own believers;
Reduction in atheism and resurgence of theistic belief worldwide;
Inhuman acts committed by atheists throughout the 20th century.
July 3, 2005, the New York Times
"A return to religion in Romania and the region's other formerly Communist countries has in many places outrun the speed at which the church can screen and train clergy..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/internation...
In atheistic Communist China, Christianity is experiencing explosive growth
http://www.millennialstar.org/christianity-ex...
In 2011, the American Spectator citing research published in the International Bulletin of Missionary Research reported that atheism is on the decline as a whole in terms of adherents .
The American Spectator declared:
“ The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."
http://spectator.org/archives/2011/02/28/thri...
In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day
http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resources/docume...
In 2012, a Georgetown University study was published indicating that only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
Even worse
A 2008 survey of 35,000 Americans by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life revealed that 21% of those claiming to be atheists said they believed in God. The same study revealed that 55% of those claiming to be agnostics and 66% of those claiming to be secular unaffiliated also believed in God.
://www.scribd.com/doc/54298794 /Pew-survey-21-of-atheists-bel ieve-in-God
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#501 Dec 6, 2012
Downhill246 is still repeating selective facts and presenting them in a misleading way. He seems to wish to suggest that religion isn't declining in the face of education and science. His favorite quote seems to be from Pew but he fails to mention that superstition is declining amongst young USAmericans....
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/belief-in-go...
even according to Pew.

The harm such superstition does includes creationism/ID...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/amer...

Downhill also wrote, "21% of those claiming to be atheists said they believed in God", but it seems that the reverse is equally true - many people who call themselves religious or Christian may not believe in a god, especially an Abrahamic god.....
http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/bha...
It seems to depend on the context in which the question 'do you believe in God' is asked. After all, who would be so stupid as to seriously believe that Jesus was resurrected from the dead or that Mohammed provided the word of Allah through the Quran? That is pure superstition.

The simple fact is that religion is based on superstition and one shouldn't believe anything beyond what can be justified by reason and evidence.

China's 'atheistic society' was simply one in which religion was suppressed for ideological and political reasons. Some people seem to want to promote religion for ideological reasons in the USA. Neither is good for society.

http://www.godchecker.com/
Religion = superstition.
Get over it.
Jumper

Owensboro, KY

#502 Dec 6, 2012
It's a good thing Atheists can't work together.

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#504 Dec 6, 2012
So the tag team rolls on but this must be the junior lightweight team, no grasp for the concepts no historical background of the conversation just attempts to personally attack and belittle me well it won’t work.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
……………Colin's behavior.
A source for his personality and traits would probably fall in the Class B Personality Disorders:
If you mean sources which were the reason for my expressed opinion you could check post #402 and post #479.....and pretty much everything in between.
So when I state the truth you this I have a personality disorder, well sorry you pathetic attempt at psychoanalysis failed.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's some help for your fractured English especially in scientific matters:
"A HYPOTHESIS attempts to ed…………………….. A THEORY, on………………... This doesn’t mean the theory is correct;
A theory will often start out as a hypothesis -- an educated guess to explain observable phenomenon."
Try not to muck up the meaning.
Where has my English been fractured?
I could not agree more (I just don’t understand why you saw it fit to state the obvious, the hypothesis I posted is exactly that. And the Theory of evolution has yet to be proved so it remain a theory although I could go with it being a hypothesis
Reason Personified wrote:
t has been done to death for you,………………………
Your god could slap you up side the head and tell you, and you wouldn't believe it, because you don't believe in your god any more than we do.
Where? no one including you and your best tag team members have failed to post any scientific evidence or proof for evolution. Now where did that one come form I don’t believe in God, ah well that once again proves this is the junior light weight team.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The "A" means without, minus,………………………ollowing the "A"!
Now I realize that to you, your Ju-Ju man's ………………………… the atheist is not theist. Nothing more!
As quoted “only a fool says in his hart there is no God”
Once again who is this Ju-Ju man you keep talking about, perhaps yet another figment of your little imagination kind of like evolution. I think you should re-read your post as a good example of broken English.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>………… being without theism, means being a non-believer.
By definition an atheist cannot be a believer in the one true God YHVH.
Reason Personified wrote:
Adaptation is change. Change over long periods of time is evolution.
Adaption may be change but adaption alone does not make a new species, it is like you getting a suntan, then your offspring gets a suntan and they become a new species. I just love the way evolutionist have continually had to increase the “TIME” which is now, what, 15 billion years. I am willing to wager that in less than a year it will be longer once again.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Most def, a poe.
Sorry but I already said I don’t really like Poe I am more into Shakespeare and Dickens.
Thinking wrote:
Try that again in English.
<quoted text>
It was in English
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
That proves it 100%(unlike the un-proven theory of evolution) you simply cannot read, now that I know that for sure things are far more obvious.
You said the above concering English
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Thinking" has a rather large educational barrier, he just admitted to not being able to read English.
Right above
Thinking wrote:
Where?
<quoted text>
Refer to the above exchange.
Thinking wrote:
Colon writes a lot, but his broken English is not improving much.
<quoted text>
There we go again resorting to name calling once again ha ha ha.
If the evolution tag team ever wants to get ahead they need to do way better then there two.

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#505 Dec 6, 2012
Jumper wrote:
It's a good thing Atheists can't work together.
And they never will this thread is proof of that.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#506 Dec 6, 2012
Colin The Zionist wrote:
...
So when I state the truth you this ....Where has my English been fractured?... I think you should re-read your post as a good example of broken English....
Now that's funny there!
What

Aldrich, MO

#507 Dec 6, 2012
"Why Atheism Will Replace Religion"

Atheism, Satanic cult religion worshipping at the altar of utter ignorance.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#508 Dec 6, 2012
Colin The Zionist wrote:
...the Theory of evolution has yet to be proved so it remain a theory .....
Please, if you learn nothing else, please learn what a scientific theory is. You understand is wrong. No just a little off, but totally wrong.

Go pick any source you want as long as it's not some creationist site. Look at chemistry, physics, geology, any real scientific discipline and look at how they define a scientific theory.

A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment." (National Academy of Sciences)

A body of knowledge is only called a theory if it:

1. It makes falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry (such as mechanics).

2. It is well-supported by many independent strands of evidence, rather than a single foundation. This ensures that it is probably a good approximation, if not completely correct.

From my daughter's high school chemistry text -- "The first step is the carrying out of experiments to gain facts which give information about all phases of the problem. The second step consists of an attempt to formulate a provisional conjecture known as a hypothesis is advanced to explain the data. A hypothesis may be tested by further experiments and if it is capable of explaining a large body of facts in a given field, it is dignified by the name of theory."

Stephen Hawking in A Brief History of Time states, "A theory is a good theory if it satisfies two requirements: It must accurately describe a large class of observations on the basis of a model that contains only a few arbitrary elements, and it must make definite predictions about the results of future observations."

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#509 Dec 6, 2012
What wrote:
"Why Atheism Will Replace Religion"
Atheism, Satanic cult religion worshipping at the altar of utter ignorance.
Bearing false witness about a whole class of people is bigotry pure and simple. Is this your best example of what it means to be a Christian?

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#510 Dec 6, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's funny there!
So you picked that up, funny thing is there are 3 more, all done on purpose in that post.
Thinking

UK

#511 Dec 6, 2012
It's "their", religitard.
Colin The Zionist wrote:
So the tag team rolls on but this must be the junior lightweight team, no grasp for the concepts no historical background of the conversation just attempts to personally attack and belittle me well it won’t work.
<quoted text>
So when I state the truth you this I have a personality disorder, well sorry you pathetic attempt at psychoanalysis failed.
<quoted text>
Where has my English been fractured?
I could not agree more (I just don’t understand why you saw it fit to state the obvious, the hypothesis I posted is exactly that. And the Theory of evolution has yet to be proved so it remain a theory although I could go with it being a hypothesis
<quoted text>
Where? no one including you and your best tag team members have failed to post any scientific evidence or proof for evolution. Now where did that one come form I don’t believe in God, ah well that once again proves this is the junior light weight team.
<quoted text>
As quoted “only a fool says in his hart there is no God”
Once again who is this Ju-Ju man you keep talking about, perhaps yet another figment of your little imagination kind of like evolution. I think you should re-read your post as a good example of broken English. <quoted text>
By definition an atheist cannot be a believer in the one true God YHVH.
<quoted text>
Adaption may be change but adaption alone does not make a new species, it is like you getting a suntan, then your offspring gets a suntan and they become a new species. I just love the way evolutionist have continually had to increase the “TIME” which is now, what, 15 billion years. I am willing to wager that in less than a year it will be longer once again.
<quoted text>
Sorry but I already said I don’t really like Poe I am more into Shakespeare and Dickens.
<quoted text>
It was in English
<quoted text>
You said the above concering English
<quoted text>
Right above
<quoted text>
Refer to the above exchange.
<quoted text>
There we go again resorting to name calling once again ha ha ha.
If the evolution tag team ever wants to get ahead they need to do way better then there two.

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#512 Dec 6, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Please, if you learn nothing …………
A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation ………………….A body of knowledge is only called a theory if it:
Stephen Hawking in A Brief History of Time states, "A theory is a good theory if it satisfies two requirements: It must accurately describe a large class of observations on the basis of a model that contains only a few arbitrary elements, and it must make definite predictions about the results of future observations."

And you criticized my apparent broken English talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
From the Oxford English Dictionary:
noun (plural theories)
• a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained: Darwin’s theory of evolution
• a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based: a theory of education [mass noun]: music theory
• an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action: my theory would be that the place has been seriously mismanaged
• Mathematics a collection of propositions to illustrate the principles of a subject.
We have already discussed the need for the word “Theory” to have been changed, to try to make the theory of evolution look real, no matter how much you twist and redefine words it still remains an unproven theory as described above, in fact one of your cohorts describes it as a hypothesis, which I loved to hear. Now as per your definition, what body of facts is evolution based on please just list them so we can all learn (and that includes the heavyweight evolution tag team who have already admitted defeat).
Even though I think Hawkins is an absolute idiot I actually like his definition of a theory. Let’s break it down somewhat, into its individual components, and then post what is actually says.
First we have a distinction between a theory and a good theory, so there are bad theories and intermediary theories and good theories, now let’s examine the first qualification. So it must describe observations based on a model we wrote to make it fit the observations. Circular reasoning. The second qualification is, we must look into the future and say what might happen if we think it might happen.
Now let’s put Hawkins words so that we can all understand his double talk.
There are good theories and not so good theories, a good theory is one that when we come to a decision on a model and construct the model, we can fit what we have observed, into the model we just built around what we observed while building the model. Also we will claim a theory to be a good theory when we look into our crystal ball and try to predict the future based on what we or someone else might do in the future built around our current model. Which we are intituled to change to fit the new observation which may or may not actually happen.
We are now debating the meaning of a word “THEORY” the definition in the Oxford dictionary is suitable, it does not implicate factual evidence at all.

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#513 Dec 6, 2012
Thinking wrote:
It's "their", religitard.
<quoted text>
So you only picked up one of the four that is so very sad for you. Let's carry on the game now see if you can find the other three. This game should be about your level of education.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#514 Dec 6, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Oxford's Alister McGrath, Atheism's "future seems increasingly to lie in the private beliefs of individuals rather than in the great public domain it once regarded as its habitat"
Reasons cited for the decline of atheism include:
Substantive challenges to naturalistic explanations for the origin of life;
Substantive challenges to psychological theories viewing religion as a pathology, and a scientific demonstration of the health benefits of a spiritual life;
Philosophical challenges to the presuppositions and axioms of atheism, such as materialism;
The decline of Marxism and Leninism;
Tenuousness of belief in atheism by many of its own believers;
Reduction in atheism and resurgence of theistic belief worldwide;
Inhuman acts committed by atheists throughout the 20th century.
July 3, 2005, the New York Times
"A return to religion in Romania and the region's other formerly Communist countries has in many places outrun the speed at which the church can screen and train clergy..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/internation...
In atheistic Communist China, Christianity is experiencing explosive growth
http://www.millennialstar.org/christianity-ex...
In 2011, the American Spectator citing research published in the International Bulletin of Missionary Research reported that atheism is on the decline as a whole in terms of adherents .
The American Spectator declared:
“ The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."
http://spectator.org/archives/2011/02/28/thri...
In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day
http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resources/docume...
In 2012, a Georgetown University study was published indicating that only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
Even worse
A 2008 survey of 35,000 Americans by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life revealed that 21% of those claiming to be atheists said they believed in God. The same study revealed that 55% of those claiming to be agnostics and 66% of those claiming to be secular unaffiliated also believed in God.
://www.scribd.com/doc/54298794 /Pew-survey-21-of-atheists-bel ieve-in-God
Spot checking your cited sources is an education in and of itself. Can't find any unbiased material....I mean, the Christian Post...c'mon now.

I see how Romania is returning to xtianity....by torturing a mentally ill girl to death....go team >gag<

The decline of Marxism and Lennonism??? Yeah, sure...whatevah, lol.

Tell the Pew survey to check the dictionary and find out the meaning of the word 'atheism.'

Find some real sources.

Dismissed.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#515 Dec 6, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Priest wank.
<quoted text>
You said it much more succinctly than I did. Kudos!
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#516 Dec 6, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Priest wank.
<quoted text>
Maybe in the near future atheists will become an endangered species entitled to government protection like Loggerhead turtles.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#517 Dec 6, 2012
EdSed wrote:
Downhill246 is still repeating selective facts and presenting them in a misleading way. He seems to wish to suggest that religion isn't declining in the face of education and science. His favorite quote seems to be from Pew but he fails to mention that superstition is declining amongst young USAmericans....
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/belief-in-go...
even according to Pew.
The harm such superstition does includes creationism/ID...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/amer...
Downhill also wrote, "21% of those claiming to be atheists said they believed in God", but it seems that the reverse is equally true - many people who call themselves religious or Christian may not believe in a god, especially an Abrahamic god.....
http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/bha...
It seems to depend on the context in which the question 'do you believe in God' is asked. After all, who would be so stupid as to seriously believe that Jesus was resurrected from the dead or that Mohammed provided the word of Allah through the Quran? That is pure superstition.
The simple fact is that religion is based on superstition and one shouldn't believe anything beyond what can be justified by reason and evidence.
China's 'atheistic society' was simply one in which religion was suppressed for ideological and political reasons. Some people seem to want to promote religion for ideological reasons in the USA. Neither is good for society.
http://www.godchecker.com/
Religion = superstition.
Get over it.
Kind of like who would seriously believe life was created randomly from non living matter.

Worldwide Christianity is growing and is on steroids in China as the Chinese people replace the shackles of state atheism with a belief system that gives them a meaning to life. Secularism in Europe is causing a decline in the native birthrate. In contrast the Muslim immigration and high birthrates will, in another few generations, have Europeans bowing to Mecca. Philip Jenkins, prominent religious historian states, "Within the next twenty-five years the population of the world's Christians is expected to grow to 2.6 billion (making Christianity by far the world's largest faith)." In that same vein, the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life states that by 2050 there will be 356 million Christians in North America and another 694 million in Latin America, 899 million in Africa, 620 million in Asia and 480 million in Europe. That is over three billion Christians in another forty years.
In 2010, an atheists' meeting was organized in the United States concerning the future direction of the atheist movement and 370 people attended. The New York Times described the attendees as "The largely white and male crowd — imagine a Star Trek convention, but older...".

As far as superstition, we have this gem

"Scientism, the view that science can explain all human conditions and expressions, mental as well as physical, is a superstition, one of the dominant superstitions or our day; and it is not an insult to science to say so."
The New York Times, Leon Wieseltier ,American writer, critic, and magazine editor.
Jumper

Owensboro, KY

#518 Dec 6, 2012
I've already started a 'Protect the Atheists' fund.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#519 Dec 6, 2012
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
From the Oxford English Dictionary:
noun (plural theories)
• a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained: Darwin’s theory of evolution
This is the relevant definition, although it isn't as precise as required to speak of a 8scientific* theory.
We have already discussed the need for the word “Theory” to have been changed, to try to make the theory of evolution look real, no matter how much you twist and redefine words it still remains an unproven theory as described above, in fact one of your cohorts describes it as a hypothesis, which I loved to hear. Now as per your definition, what body of facts is evolution based on please just list them so we can all learn (and that includes the heavyweight evolution tag team who have already admitted defeat).
ALL scientific theories are hypotheses. Yes, even the *theory* of gravity.
First we have a distinction between a theory and a good theory, so there are bad theories and intermediary theories and good theories, now let’s examine the first qualification. So it must describe observations based on a model we wrote to make it fit the observations. Circular reasoning. The second qualification is, we must look into the future and say what might happen if we think it might happen.
First, it isn't so easy to make a hypothesis that fits all the current observations. So even the first qualification is extremely non-trivial. The point is that you have to produce some *general* hypothesis that fits all the *specific* observations.

Second, to be a scientific theory, it has to be testable. Typically, this means it makes very specific predictions about how future observations will go in specific situations. Then, we actually go and do the relevant experiments or field work to make the observations. If the predictions of the theory are correct, the theory is supported. If the predictions are not correct, the theory has to be modified or rejected completely (depending on how substantial the disagreement is).
Now let’s put Hawkins words so that we can all understand his double talk.
There are good theories and not so good theories, a good theory is one that when we come to a decision on a model and construct the model, we can fit what we have observed, into the model we just built around what we observed while building the model. Also we will claim a theory to be a good theory when we look into our crystal ball and try to predict the future based on what we or someone else might do in the future built around our current model.
WRONG. We do not call it a good theory at this point. We call it a good theory when it has repeatedly made predictions of future observations that were actually verified by observations. Unless the predictions are verified, it isn't yet a good theory.
Which we are intituled to change to fit the new observation which may or may not actually happen.
Wrong again. If we have to change things, it becomes a new theory, although possibly with many similarities to the previous one. There are also hierarchies of theories involved: some, such as quantum mechanics, are very general, but need the specifics of a situation to make predictions. The specifics can then be part of the hypotheses for that given situation.
We are now debating the meaning of a word “THEORY” the definition in the Oxford dictionary is suitable, it does not implicate factual evidence at all.
Factual evidence is required to be a scientific theory. Predictions must be made about future observations that are then actually verified by those observations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Morse 231,813
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr bocephus 851
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr Morse 1,420
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' (May '14) 9 hr Morse 99
Siro is writing a new book 10 hr thetruth 3
Evidence for God! 10 hr thetruth 182
10) Experts debate reality of God (May '10) 10 hr thetruth 8,935

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE