Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
4,861 - 4,880 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>WHY should He prove to you that He exists?

If you are so dumb, that even after seeing this whole Universe, you cannot see Him, then what are chances that you will recognize Him, when He appears to you "In Person"?

(Knock, Knock

Who is there?

It is God the Creator of this Universe?

Go and come tomorrow, I am busy right now!!)

Who you think you are?

Do you understand what the word Sadistic means? How can you use such a word for One who has provided all that for you?

Ungrateful Brat!!
All your god would need to do is violate some natural law.

Pick one. Any one.

Suspend any natural law for the world to see and a major source of conflict, death and needless suffering instantly disappears.

And you have the colossal gall to call ME an ungrateful brat while you shout praise to a sadistic, egomaniacal god?!

You are a slave to your own self imposed ignorance.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a reason to report your ass again.
Report her for mentioning that the Vampire Cannibal Jesus! is the central icon of a death cult?

Get over your hang ups.

The Jesus! did.

I think I nailed that one.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Partaking of the flesh of your deity to ritualistically take on qualities or aspects of the deity is an ancient religious and cult practice.

Begun long before the Jesus! death cult, but utilized in the rituals within that primitive religious belief of Christianity, too.

What's that old saying?

The more things change...

Verb: transubstantiate
1.(Christianity) change (the Eucharist bread and wine) into the body and blood of Christ
2. Change or alter in form, appearance, or nature

WordWeb Pro 6.0

Theophagy: "It's what's for dinner!"

Theophagy
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/theophagy

Life death rebirth deity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-death-rebir...

"A short history of Christian theophagy - From Princeton Theological Seminary. http://archive.org/details/shorthistoryofc00s...

It gets even better...
"Eating People: Accusations of Cannibalism Against Christians in the Second Century"
http://www.academia.edu/787977/Eating_People_...

"Christian Cannibalism Food for thought!"
http://noahide-ancient-path.co.uk/index.php/j...

Chew on that for a while.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Te line about Jesus doesn't appear in earlier copies of his work. It is a Christian forgery. But since you love Josephus so much you should know he mapped out all the Jewish settlements in his work. No mention of Nazareth. Nazareth is a mere mile away from Joppa where Josephus was born and raised. He mapped out the entire region yet missed the neighboring Nazareth?

Oh that's right Nazareth didn't even exist at the time of Jesus :)
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not here to prove anything. I've got nothing TO prove. I don't need your permission to believe the way I do, and I've never indicated that you need mine.
Born Yosef ben Matityahu (Flavius Josephus) was a 1st century Romano-Jewish historian who wrote Antiquities of the Jews which RECOUNTED the history of the world from a Jewish perspective for an ostensibly Roman audience. Antiquities meaning ancient past. These works provide valuable insight into 1st century Judaism and the background of Early Christianity.(as per Wikipedia) The history of oral tradition dates back to the beginning of human history. Did Josephus base his writings primarily upon oral accounts? Doubtful. Jews have scribes for a reason. Said scribes are really good at documenting.
Inv

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Te line about Jesus doesn't appear in earlier copies of his work. It is a Christian forgery. But since you love Josephus so much you should know he mapped out all the Jewish settlements in his work. No mention of Nazareth. Nazareth is a mere mile away from Joppa where Josephus was born and raised. He mapped out the entire region yet missed the neighboring Nazareth?
<quoted text>
Haha well well good to see you still on your crusade.. A most zealous believer in no god you are. I've learnt so far atheism is different from agnosticism. And atheism mighr actually be the rejection of any belief in Gods. I feel a little tricked, but really there's no one to blame but my own ignorance. See you later alligator.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

You would get along great with the delusional old crazy man. After 30 minutes of both of you talking, people of reason would be hard pressed to tell the difference of your delusions from his I wager.

At least you can go online to post your insanity, saves you some dog bites from strays :))
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Not throwing a tantrum. Simply refusing to go there. I don't feel like I got to. I'm an adult who made an adult decision to believe the way I do. Not based on myth but rather on my own conviction. If that adult decision bothers you, then that's on you not me. I ain't got to explain my adult actions. Nor is my choice to believe this way on trial. Quite frankly you lack the authority to be my judge. Also, I would choose the crazy man on the street over you any day of the week. He may very well be crazy, but at least he's not an arrogant jerk who can't seem to stand the fact that someone might believe contrary to him like you are. Crazy man would surely make for much better company.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Now do you also want to shoot Hindus in he head with a shotgun as you confessed you want to do to atheists?

Interesting how belief in Christ has lead you down such a violent intolerant world view. Some morality!
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No need for me but you go ahead.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Oh cussing and threatening someone who properly presented facts! Just because the facts make your opinion look silly you want to report RP?

Leave the board if you can't take it. RP is a fantastic poster and is by far too kind to your lot.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

In the holy myth books like the Torah, the gospels of Jesus and the Quran myth god is always showing up doing some miracle, speaking aloud so his voice rolls across the land and so on. Yet now an for the last 2000 years 1400 years in your myth god has vanished.

I would say as a Muslim watching his fellow Muslims savagely hack little girls to death and blow themselves up his has some explaining to do.

It seems you god can do anything except show himself anymore.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY should He prove to you that He exists?
If you are so dumb, that even after seeing this whole Universe, you cannot see Him, then what are chances that you will recognize Him, when He appears to you "In Person"?
(Knock, Knock
Who is there?
It is God the Creator of this Universe?
Go and come tomorrow, I am busy right now!!)
Who you think you are?
Do you understand what the word Sadistic means? How can you use such a word for One who has provided all that for you?
Ungrateful Brat!!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians of that period were more often than not "information gatherers".
That's what Josephus did. He recorded the stories, tales and legends of that time. Sure, at that point they may have been related as literal, a truth, but very little was done to verify those stories, other than trying to depict what was related.
Additionally, many times a historian may have been a simple scribe or transcriber, doing nothing more than recopying older histories from decaying and ancient volumes, merely for future preservation.
So, no, I'm not disputing that Josephus was a historian, but the term "historian" then, meant something quite different than it does now, and it's in that context Josephus is a historian.
There is actually another layer to this. Josephus was not just a historian. He was actively involved in politics, in particular the politics that lead to the destruction of the temple of Jerusalem. Because of this, he had a particular political ax to grind and was definitely *not* an unbiased source. On the other hand, this most certainly gave him access to the written records of the Jews.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter where he got the information, it was not first hand and therefore hear say. There have been other that speculated that Josephus *may* have gotten the information from prior writings. But with no reference to these writings by Josephus or anyone else of the time, it is only speculation.
The short of it, you've only got what Josephus had, which is nothing.
This is an impossibly high standard for history. The vast majority of ancient historians wrote centuries after the subject of their writings. Even for those who wrote from about the same time period were copied, and re-copied and it is often not clear who the original author was. Furthermore, most historians were writing to promote a particlar political viewpoint and were anything but unbiased sources.

This is part of what makes ancient history so difficult. If we look at Seutonius and his treatment of the early Roman emperors, we get a different picture than when we read Tacitus. And for many events those are our only two sources. Both of them wrote a century after Julius Ceasar but we generally consider them reliable about events of his life (although not perfectly so).

Even Cleopatra is incredibly difficult to get anything solid about. We have several people who wrote about her visit to Rome (including Cicero), but what happened at other times is so shaded by the Roman historians who are our only source that we certainly do NOT get a valid picture overall.

In the case of Jesus, we have a flood of 'inspirational writings', often attributed to the disciples, but also usually written from pure fantasy. This along with the growing legend makes anything that was copied by later Christians suspect. And that is *all* the writings we have. Finally, the writings that became the Bible were selected 300 years after the events described by those on one side of a political divide. We do not typically hear about the Gnostic writings and the early Chrisitans that disagreed with the Nicene creed.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>If god exists, he could easily prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he exists.

I'd think that with all the conflict and suffering in this world directly related to whether or not he exists, and what defines him, he'd show himself.

Otherwise, he'd just be a sadistic god.
I can't answer your question from a scientific perspective as science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God. Nor can I speak for God. I can only speak, then, from a Christian perspective. According to what the Bible teaches us as Christians, God gives man free will. As much as the Lord desires our welfare, there is one thing he desires even more: our freedom. He allows us to choose between evil and good, and when we choose evil, it has its consequences. But neither the evil nor its consequences are His will. "I have set before you life and death, a blessing and a cursing: Therefore choose life!'(Deuteronomy 30:19) Taking away our free choice and its consequences would remove any sense of self-determination and any freely given love or freely received joy. Evil results from mankind using that precious gift of freedom to go against God's will. That is, at least, according to the Bible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Report her for mentioning that the Vampire Cannibal Jesus! is the central icon of a death cult?

Get over your hang ups.

The Jesus! did.

I think I nailed that one.
Nice. Ya really hit the nail on the head with that joke. Feel better now? Everyone can read my motive behind reporting her. It's clearly visible. It had NOTHING to do with her being an atheist. It had EVERYTHING to do with her repeatedly being a foul individual. No one should have to put up with that. It's just straight up BS.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Partaking of the flesh of your deity to ritualistically take on qualities or aspects of the deity is an ancient religious and cult practice.

Begun long before the Jesus! death cult, but utilized in the rituals within that primitive religious belief of Christianity, too.

What's that old saying?

The more things change...

Verb: transubstantiate
1.(Christianity) change (the Eucharist bread and wine) into the body and blood of Christ
2. Change or alter in form, appearance, or nature

WordWeb Pro 6.0

Theophagy: "It's what's for dinner!"

Theophagy
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/theophagy

Life death rebirth deity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-death-rebir...

"A short history of Christian theophagy - From Princeton Theological Seminary. http://archive.org/details/shorthistoryofc00s...

It gets even better...
"Eating People: Accusations of Cannibalism Against Christians in the Second Century"
http://www.academia.edu/787977/Eating_People_...

"Christian Cannibalism – Food for thought!"
http://noahide-ancient-path.co.uk/index.php/j...

Chew on that for a while.
Lol Chew in that? Nice.
The early persecutors of the church (Romans) deliberately understood it as such, cannibalism. It is according to most christian belief systems, however, a memorial meal consisting of bread and wine which is taken in memory of the broken body of christ and the blood he shed for our sins. This is what Jesus tells us as Christians. To Catholics,however, and others who believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation the bread and wine are literally transformed into the substance of the bread and body of christ when consumed. This is yet another instance where man (catholic religion, etc) has taken something originally set in place as a beautiful memorial and turned it into something sick and twisted. Please also remember that the "saints"of the catholic church are nothing more than their old pagan gods in saintly form. This is not right. It is not Biblical. I do not agree with it. However it does not reflect upon Jesus and his teachings, but rather upon the people who chose to corrupt them. This was a Paul (who was not a disciple of Jesus. he did not walk with him, serve with him, or minister with him.) thing. Not a Jesus's teaching thing. Catholics move in a different circle than all other Christian denominations for this very reason. Most of us don't agree with their teachings because they aren't entirely Biblical. Are all Catholics bad? No Are some of them misguided? Yes
Does this disprove God? No.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Te line about Jesus doesn't appear in earlier copies of his work. It is a Christian forgery. But since you love Josephus so much you should know he mapped out all the Jewish settlements in his work. No mention of Nazareth. Nazareth is a mere mile away from Joppa where Josephus was born and raised. He mapped out the entire region yet missed the neighboring Nazareth?

From Wikipedia:
Nazareth (pron.:/ˈnæzərəθ/; Hebrew:נָצְ Natzrat or Natzeret; Arabic:اَلن an-Nāṣira or an-Naseriyye) is the largest city in the North District of Israel. Nazareth is known as "the Arab capital of Israel"; the population is made up predominantly of Arab citizens of Israel, almost all of whom are either Muslim (69%) or Christian (30.9%).[2][3][4][5] In the New Testament, the city is described as the childhood home of Jesus, and as such is a center of Christian pilgrimage, with many shrines commemorating biblical events.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>You would get along great with the delusional old crazy man. After 30 minutes of both of you talking, people of reason would be hard pressed to tell the difference of your delusions from his I wager.

At least you can go online to post your insanity, saves you some dog bites from strays :))
Lol You think?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Oh cussing and threatening someone who properly presented facts! Just because the facts make your opinion look silly you want to report RP?

Leave the board if you can't take it. RP is a fantastic poster and is by far too kind to your lot.
Kind? lol I'd hate to see what you think mean is. Scroll up and read the reason I reported her. It's clearly written, and had NOTHING to do with her belief in atheism. It had everything to do with her actions.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>There is actually another layer to this. Josephus was not just a historian. He was actively involved in politics, in particular the politics that lead to the destruction of the temple of Jerusalem. Because of this, he had a particular political ax to grind and was definitely *not* an unbiased source. On the other hand, this most certainly gave him access to the written records of the Jews.
You know I had forgotten that, and it doesn't confirm, but it adds more credence to the infamous "interpolation theory" that many scholars think may have occurred.

Thanks for the reminder.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love the way you atheists are so logical about everything. I can almost see the wheels turning in your head. You're very analytical in your thought process. lol It's very cool. I didn't say oral traditions were perfect. Nothing is perfect. But just because it has flaws doesn't mean it doesn't work at all. It's great that we've been able to advance as a society like that. I remember that game. We called it "telephone". It was a lot of fun.
Actually, "telephone" does prove oral traditions and gossiping DO NOT work as a transmission of true information.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

1 The fool says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing?
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord.
5 But there they are, overwhelmed with dread,
for God is present in the company of the righteous.
6 You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is their refuge.
7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores his people,
let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••