Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4935 Jan 31, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
I cheated a little and skipped ahead in the book.

It doesn't turn out so well for some folks.

I can't say the ending suprised me that much if you see the way people are acting these days.
Lol
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#4936 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
You're so confused.
Repeat after me
There is evidence for God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof there isn't.

Location hidden

#4937 Jan 31, 2013
To quote James Wood's publication in The New Yorker, "The new atheists do not speak to the millions of people whose form of religion is far from the embodied certainties of contemporary literalism. Indeed, it is a settled assumption of this kind of atheism that there are no intelligent religious believers." What spiritual quest are they on, except to put an abrupt end to those of religious believers? Irregardless of the fact that 95% of the world finds some meaning in faith. The militant atheist wants nothing more than to spoil the believer's spiritual journey. That's both mean-spirited and radically unenlightened. The fact that religion has inexplicably persisted, even despite Copernicus, Darwin, and the Enlightenment, doesn't seem to have much sociological meaning for them. When the esteemed theologian David Martyn Lloyd-Jones asked C.S. Lewis when he would write another book, Lewis responded, "When I understand the meaning of prayer." It was an acknowledgment that he, a thinker with an extremely sharp mind, didn't know everything. I implore you atheists to take this humility to heart. There's still a lot to learn, but only if you're not too busy being a know-it-all.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4938 Feb 1, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Many works of fiction are set in real places, centered around real events, based (however loosely) upon real people. The surroundings, situations and types of people involved do not make the fiction become truth.
I do believe that is what he was trying to say.
Thank you, that is exactly what I was trying to say!

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4939 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...interesting. So what is the deal with all the arrogance in the atheist community?
There is just as much arrogance, if not more, in the Christian community.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4940 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
..What spiritual quest are they on, except to put an abrupt end to those of religious believers? Irregardless of the fact that 95% of the world finds some meaning in faith. The militant atheist wants nothing more than to spoil the believer's spiritual journey. That's both mean-spirited and radically unenlightened...
This is part of the story. Yes, there is some spirited debate here which could be seen as militant or perhaps even nihilistic.... but, I think what most here is against is the fundies who hold very intolerant views, not the average believers. Also skeptics here want to genuinely help people become free thinkers and debate freely on the basis on reason, instead of believing in myths and irrational things. There is honesty in questioning weird beliefs and about being true to yourself and routing your beliefs in reality.

Location hidden

#4941 Feb 1, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>There is just as much arrogance, if not more, in the Christian community.
I don't entirely disagree with that statement. Some Christians have the potential to give the rest of us believers a bad rep.

Location hidden

#4942 Feb 1, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>This is part of the story. Yes, there is some spirited debate here which could be seen as militant or perhaps even nihilistic.... but, I think what most here is against is the fundies who hold very intolerant views, not the average believers. Also skeptics here want to genuinely help people become free thinkers and debate freely on the basis on reason, instead of believing in myths and irrational things. There is honesty in questioning weird beliefs and about being true to yourself and routing your beliefs in reality.
I can agree with you. Though I don't believe anyone has the authority to call someone else's beliefs myths. I am right there with you on everything else. Especially the being true to yourself bit.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4943 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't entirely disagree with that statement. Some Christians have the potential to give the rest of us believers a bad rep.
No christian has ever demanded that the bible be corrected for its false words against athiests.

So we should expect all believers to take responsibility for their beliefs, including all the beliefs printed in black and white in their books.

Christians just claim to be polite - its all a show for selfish gain ultimately.

In your food you all blindly think that atheists are fools and abominable people.

But not a single theist has stood up and challenges this baseless hatred in your bible.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4944 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I can agree with you. Though I don't believe anyone has the authority to call someone else's beliefs myths. I am right there with you on everything else. Especially the being true to yourself bit.
Wrong, when facts demonstrate something could not have happened, and evidence proves it, we can call it exactly what it is - a false cult which lies to its followers about the nature of the universe.

In the real world, nobody has respect for liars.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#4945 Feb 1, 2013
Religion has less power every year.
Witches rarely get burned to death by religitards these days.
01Justsayin wrote:
To quote James Wood's publication in The New Yorker, "The new atheists do not speak to the millions of people whose form of religion is far from the embodied certainties of contemporary literalism. Indeed, it is a settled assumption of this kind of atheism that there are no intelligent religious believers." What spiritual quest are they on, except to put an abrupt end to those of religious believers? Irregardless of the fact that 95% of the world finds some meaning in faith. The militant atheist wants nothing more than to spoil the believer's spiritual journey. That's both mean-spirited and radically unenlightened. The fact that religion has inexplicably persisted, even despite Copernicus, Darwin, and the Enlightenment, doesn't seem to have much sociological meaning for them. When the esteemed theologian David Martyn Lloyd-Jones asked C.S. Lewis when he would write another book, Lewis responded, "When I understand the meaning of prayer." It was an acknowledgment that he, a thinker with an extremely sharp mind, didn't know everything. I implore you atheists to take this humility to heart. There's still a lot to learn, but only if you're not too busy being a know-it-all.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4946 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I don't believe anyone has the authority to call someone else's beliefs myths.
Belief systems of the past, pagan mythologies are myths. We all agree on that. Stories of Muhammed, his night flight to heaven, is a myth. We can agree. 000s of gods and supernatural beings, fairies, goblins, elves, etc. are all myths. We all agree. Shape shifting reptiles, UFOs humping prehistoric man, these are myths if you are a sane person.

It is obvious to all of us. These are myths. But we cannot question the beliefs of the "holy" bible cause it might upset people.

Personally I think its operating a double standard.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#4947 Feb 1, 2013
Followers of religious leaders are a sad exception.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
In the real world, nobody has respect for liars.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#4948 Feb 1, 2013
Nice myth summary!
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
"UFOs humping prehistoric man"
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4949 Feb 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Nice myth summary!
<quoted text>
I brought this up as was thinking of "Ancient aliens" which I watched the other night on a history channel. UFOs apparently travelled across the universe to build piles of stones and have sex with women of pre-history, then disappear back home. And apparently thousands/millions of people believe this. The human mind has the capacity to believe all kinds of strange things.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#4950 Feb 1, 2013
Getting around the Universe seems to be really hard work... I reckon anyone that could do that would leave something more impressive than mere stoneworks.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I brought this up as was thinking of "Ancient aliens" which I watched the other night on a history channel. UFOs apparently travelled across the universe to build piles of stones and have sex with women of pre-history, then disappear back home. And apparently thousands/millions of people believe this. The human mind has the capacity to believe all kinds of strange things.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#4951 Feb 1, 2013
You could at least learn how to copy and paste properly. Keep scampering into stupidity.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
proof\ˈprüf\
noun
1 a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact
b : the process or an instance of establishing the validity of a statement especially by derivation from other statements in accordance with principles of reasoning
2 obsolete : experience
3 : something that induces certainty or establishes validity
You failed to do any of these.

Lexington, KY

#4952 Feb 1, 2013
The Jesus Josephus line is a Christian forgery added later. It does not appear in any copies of his earlier work.

Bible passages don't count seeing as how they are myth.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. The Jewish historian, Josephus, documented the lives of many Biblical people. As well as more in depth biblical accounts. There's Isaac and Ishmael (the patriarchs of Judaism and Muslim). Both religions can be traced back to them. There's the ruins in Israel itself which support the writings in the Bible. Honestly, i don't really know what you consider to be "credible". Y'all like to get all analytical and super literal about things. I could tell you man can fly (wright brothers), and you might very well dispute the fact seeing as how we don't physically have wings. Ya just never know. No offense. A vast array of documentation does exist. It's authenticity can be validated. It's just a matter of how much "validation" is enough for you. I mean are you like Thomas? Do you need to put your hand into the wound of Jesus in order to believe it's him? Nothing wrong with that, btw. Or are you more like Peter who followed Jesus out onto the water? Nothing wrong with that either. Of course, I use both instances as examples. If you don't believe that any of it happened, then I really don't see how we can discuss it. I'm not being catty. Just honest. We can talk about the weather if you'd like. ;)

Lexington, KY

#4953 Feb 1, 2013
I am glad to see you admit you were wrong.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm really not gonna go there again. I'm officially over it. It's monotonous.

Lexington, KY

#4954 Feb 1, 2013
Why would anyone care about his opinion?
01Justsayin wrote:
To quote James Wood's publication in The New Yorker, ll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam for peace, or violence? 16 min Chiclets 41
Our world came from nothing? 17 min Reason Personified 1,041
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 33 min Adam 230,021
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Adam 22,993
Does Being 'Spiritual But Not Religious' Really... 6 hr Thinking 2
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' Mon Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. Mon Thinking 87

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE