Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#4915 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?! Do you even hear yourself when you talk? A historically accurate work of FICTION? SMH
Many works of fiction are set in real places, centered around real events, based (however loosely) upon real people. The surroundings, situations and types of people involved do not make the fiction become truth.

I do believe that is what he was trying to say.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#4916 Jan 31, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Since there is no evidence god exists, there is no reason to even consider the idea that he did anything.
Them don't.

Were is the evidence for spontaneous life?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#4917 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. But could you have several different characters writing several different stories within the same book? Also there are aspects of the Bible that have been proven to be true. Plus genealogy proves that certain people whose names are mentioned in the Bible were real. In fact, their ancestors are still alive to this day.(scroll back through. I won't reiterate) The fact is the Bible has been proven to be accurate on more than one occasion. You may not believe its teachings, but you can't dispute the facts that it contains.
Again I ask: What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that there is no God?
The only person of the Bible (that I know of) that was independantly known to exist was Pontius Pilate. His name was found on some very old Roman records as a government official.

Do you know of others?

Location hidden

#4918 Jan 31, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Humans have genitalia. What are god's like?
You're not far off of liberty.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4919 Jan 31, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not believe in witchcraft either, it is a silly waste of time.

One promise the Jesus of the Bible made was that faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains (from here to there, I'm not talking about a volcano or earthquake which has a verifiable cause). I have yet to see a mountain go from one place to another, ergo a false promise, an unkept promise and/or outright lie.

Where is it you want to go in life? Some want money and power, some want love, others want peace and contentment, others prefer solitude etc. Any of those can be attained all by themselves without assistance from supernatural entities.

I don't have a lot of money either....but I don't owe money for anything but utilities, insurance, taxes, etc. I have a fantastic marriage that has lasted for decades, three grown healthy young men, two beautiful granddaughters with another on they way.

I help the mentally ill, I'm paid for it, but I'll never get rich from this line of work. I continue because I enjoy it.

I don't require the promise of heaven to be happy and I don't need the threat of hell to keep from running amok.

Let's just say we're both happy where we are:

As for prayer....I don't believe in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_pray...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pr... ;
Hmmm...interesting. So what is the deal with all the arrogance in the atheist community?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#4920 Jan 31, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Are you claiming one cannot write a work of fiction that is hitorically accurate? Seriously??? LOL!!!!
She's much too busy reading the Bible to bother with Hermann Hesse or Irving Stone..........

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#4921 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your obsession with the straw man. My question is still what proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that there is no God? Very simple.
Thousands and thousands of years lacking one single iota of evidence.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#4922 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Not splitting hairs on this issue. Answer my question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
One cannot prove a nonentity. You've made the claim, it's YOUR burden to prove it.

Would you like to hear about the invisible pink unicorn in my back yard?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#4923 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The fact that you are still arguing with me shows YOUR lack of understanding. Disagree with my beliefs all you want. That's fine by me. Facts are facts. You have no authority to go to the scientific community, the very one you lean so heavily upon in an attempt to disprove the existence of God, and call them a liar. The fact is the existence of God has been proven again and again yet you still choose not to believe it. That's on you. But it doesn't make God any less real. And it doesn't make you any more right. Your belief system is one based on falsehood and misconceptions and outright denial of all scientific truth. Atheism is a FALSE belief in the absence of God. Doubt me? Prove me wrong. Provide me with evidence and proof to support your BELIEF that God is not real. As already indicated earlier by someone else, "You don't know". You CAN'T prove God is not real. Your belief is illogical, and you don't have a pot to piss in.
Your definition is incorrect. Atheism is not a false belief, it's a lack of belief, it means "without belief".

Theists are believers, they have faith in a supernatural deity. I do not.

Location hidden

#4924 Jan 31, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>The only person of the Bible (that I know of) that was independantly known to exist was Pontius Pilate. His name was found on some very old Roman records as a government official.

Do you know of others?
Yeah. The Jewish historian, Josephus, documented the lives of many Biblical people. As well as more in depth biblical accounts. There's Isaac and Ishmael (the patriarchs of Judaism and Muslim). Both religions can be traced back to them. There's the ruins in Israel itself which support the writings in the Bible. Honestly, i don't really know what you consider to be "credible". Y'all like to get all analytical and super literal about things. I could tell you man can fly (wright brothers), and you might very well dispute the fact seeing as how we don't physically have wings. Ya just never know. No offense. A vast array of documentation does exist. It's authenticity can be validated. It's just a matter of how much "validation" is enough for you. I mean are you like Thomas? Do you need to put your hand into the wound of Jesus in order to believe it's him? Nothing wrong with that, btw. Or are you more like Peter who followed Jesus out onto the water? Nothing wrong with that either. Of course, I use both instances as examples. If you don't believe that any of it happened, then I really don't see how we can discuss it. I'm not being catty. Just honest. We can talk about the weather if you'd like. ;)

Location hidden

#4925 Jan 31, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands and thousands of years lacking one single iota of evidence.

Again, how much "evidence," "validation" is enough for you? I mean it's not that people haven't presented evidence in one way or another. You just choose not to accept it. It doesn't meet your criteria? No matter. I've had a chance to step back and calm down a little. I allowed myself to get angry (darn you Irish temper). Not at the fact that you believe differently. I'm cool with that. But by the arrogance and aggression you (as a belief system) bring to the table. I enjoy discussing different view points on...whatever. I love chatting it up with all manner of people from various religious backgrounds. We each bring something new and interesting to the table, and i can almost always find something beautiful in each religion. Even if i don't believe that way myself. Thats not the case with atheism. There's something about the arrogance and outright hatred of any belief contrary to their own that i find quite ugly. Atheists are the only group who cannot seem to present their view point in a respectful manner. Aggression and anger seem to be the status quo. Honestly, that baffles me. Not here to preach (though i will defend my viewpoints if you wanna go there) or convert. That's above my pay grade. I just think that people can express their different view points in a respectful manner without all the hatred and aggression. Again, not being catty. Just honest.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#4926 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. The Jewish historian, Josephus, documented the lives of many Biblical people. As well as more in depth biblical accounts. There's Isaac and Ishmael (the patriarchs of Judaism and Muslim). Both religions can be traced back to them. There's the ruins in Israel itself which support the writings in the Bible. Honestly, i don't really know what you consider to be "credible". Y'all like to get all analytical and super literal about things. I could tell you man can fly (wright brothers), and you might very well dispute the fact seeing as how we don't physically have wings. Ya just never know. No offense. A vast array of documentation does exist. It's authenticity can be validated. It's just a matter of how much "validation" is enough for you. I mean are you like Thomas? Do you need to put your hand into the wound of Jesus in order to believe it's him? Nothing wrong with that, btw. Or are you more like Peter who followed Jesus out onto the water? Nothing wrong with that either. Of course, I use both instances as examples. If you don't believe that any of it happened, then I really don't see how we can discuss it. I'm not being catty. Just honest. We can talk about the weather if you'd like. ;)
Josephus was born AFTER the supposed Biblical events. He could not have written first hand accounts of them. The best he could have done is to record the oral legends of the time (hearsay). You've still got nothing.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#4927 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So you saw the dino poo steaming?
Steaming poo is fresh it takes awhile for mushrooms to grow. No they do not grow in steaming piles of poo.
Supernatural ones do! Prove they don't!!

Location hidden

#4928 Jan 31, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>One cannot prove a nonentity. You've made the claim, it's YOUR burden to prove it.

Would you like to hear about the invisible pink unicorn in my back yard?
I already addressed my opinion on the nonentity/burden of proof thingy. I'm really over it. It's boring and dull. I believe God is real. You don't have to. You are a free human being. I can respect you even if we don't see eye to eye. Keep your misguided anger off my doorstep, and we're cool. Quite frankly, I'm not the cause of it. I'd love to hear more about your pink unicorn you got out in the backyard.

Location hidden

#4929 Jan 31, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Your definition is incorrect. Atheism is not a false belief, it's a lack of belief, it means "without belief".

Theists are believers, they have faith in a supernatural deity. I do not.
I'm really not gonna go there again. I'm officially over it. It's monotonous.

Location hidden

#4930 Jan 31, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Josephus was born AFTER the supposed Biblical events. He could not have written first hand accounts of them. The best he could have done is to record the oral legends of the time (hearsay). You've still got nothing.
I'm not even gonna go there. Have fun with that. I do have his writings on a shelf in the top of my bedroom closet if you wanna read em though. It's a very interesting read. Very thought provoking.
Jared

Duluth, GA

#4931 Jan 31, 2013
wwww.stoptheblankcheck.org

Stop the destruction of America by the Israel Lobby!
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#4932 Jan 31, 2013
I cheated a little and skipped ahead in the book.

It doesn't turn out so well for some folks.

I can't say the ending suprised me that much if you see the way people are acting these days.

Location hidden

#4933 Jan 31, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Since there is no evidence god exists, there is no reason to even consider the idea that he did anything.
LOL

You're so confused.

Repeat after me
There is evidence for God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God

Location hidden

#4934 Jan 31, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Supernatural ones do! Prove they don't!!
P^13(F*C^U)/98(m^3*(Q^4/34^N)) =Poo(MR)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min Eagle 12 227,746
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 13 min KIND 343
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 22 min fadu singh 22,366
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 2 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Reason Personified 484
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr NightSerf 932
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 6 hr P_Smith 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE