Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4772 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are many aspects which have been proven false.
- Creation
- Adam and Eve
- Noah's Flood
- The Exodus
- Joshua and Jericho
And noteworthy that Jesus took these myths and mythological people literally. Proving that the writers of the NT had no special knowledge.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4773 Jan 31, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed there was no god, but I don't believe in all of the tenets of Christianity. I do believe in a higher power; how else could anything be created?
Then this isn't your question. Moving on.

Location hidden

#4774 Jan 31, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Straw man.
You and your obsession with the straw man. My question is still what proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that there is no God? Very simple.
DaBroad

Minneapolis, MN

#4775 Jan 31, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Are you claiming one cannot write a work of fiction that is hitorically accurate? Seriously??? LOL!!!!
Don't you see? If you use some historical accuracies, it makes the whole thing true. That means that all speculative and historical fictions are real. And all religious texts are facts.

If you put characters in a location that really exists, it means that they MUST have actually been in that location. It means that those characters MUST be real.

Goes along with the "if it's on the internets, it MUST be true" line of logic.

If you really want to follow that line of logic, then all the Greek and Roman gods, all the Egyptian gods, all the Norse gods, all the heroes of legend, must have actually existed, because people wrote about them, and used actual events and places in history. Choosing one text or belief set over any other is what constitutes faith. Calling faith fact is a fool's errand.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4776 Jan 31, 2013
DaBroad wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you see? If you use some historical accuracies, it makes the whole thing true. That means that all speculative and historical fictions are real. And all religious texts are facts.
If you put characters in a location that really exists, it means that they MUST have actually been in that location. It means that those characters MUST be real.
Goes along with the "if it's on the internets, it MUST be true" line of logic.
If you really want to follow that line of logic, then all the Greek and Roman gods, all the Egyptian gods, all the Norse gods, all the heroes of legend, must have actually existed, because people wrote about them, and used actual events and places in history. Choosing one text or belief set over any other is what constitutes faith. Calling faith fact is a fool's errand.
Yeah, I know. The truly sad thing about fundie christians like " 01Justsayin" is that they need to suspend logic and reason when it comes to their "beliefs" then use logic and reason to reject all other beliefs based on the same type of evidence they ignore to accept theirs. Then they wonder why they are a target of ridicule! LOL!

Location hidden

#4777 Jan 31, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. One reply and you resort immediately to name calling. Which cult of Christianity do you represent with this kind of display of hate?

01Justsayin wrote, "<quoted text>
...Now you're just grasping at straws. Harry potter was a book written by a person who knew about the existence of king's cross because they had seen it, heard about it, whatever. Noah's ark, or at the very least the proof of a great flood, has been found and written about (just like in the Bible) thereby proving that it did indeed take place. Same thing. This only goes to prove the authenticity of the Bible. Not disprove it. Also the characters in Harry potter were fictional characters. The "characters" in the Bible are real. The proof is in the genealogy. Jews and Muslims alike can trace their genealogy back to Isaac and Ishmael, two Biblical brothers, who are viewed as the patriarchs of these two religions. Ancient biblical ruins still exist in Israel which prove the Bible is real. You can see them. You can touch them. Hell you can even walk through some. It's not that the facts aren't there. It's just that you choose not to see them. And that's okay. Just don't expect to sit there and tell me it's not real.... "

And the Bible is just a book, written by a number of people who lived thousands of years ago. Their knowledge of local places and inclusion of these places in their stories is to be expected. It does not prove the stories are any more real that Harry Potter.

01Justsayin wrote, "<quoted text>
... Cause I'll call you a liar to your face. "

Yep, you're a Christian. The ad homenim does nothing by informs everybody that you are incapable of adult conversation. Sorry to have disturbed you.
Enough with the misdirection. Feel free to feel anyway you choose about me. Just answer my one simple question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist? I have answered every question you've sent my way. Dealt with the endless insults, criticisms, and judgements. You've asked me for scientific proof of God's existence, and I've provided you with it. Yet nobody, not a single one of you, will answer my very simple question. Where's the logic in that?

Location hidden

#4778 Jan 31, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>In this context, define your meaning of the word "witchcraft".
Not splitting hairs on this issue. Answer my question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4779 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your obsession with the straw man. My question is still what proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that there is no God? Very simple.
Existence of innocent suffering rules out the existence of a loving God. Otherwise why does he not simply intervene. Very simple.

Location hidden

#4780 Jan 31, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>There goes another irony meter.
Yeah. Yeah. Enough with the misdirection. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?

Location hidden

#4781 Jan 31, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Do you still kill witches?
I never killed the first witch, as I am not in the killing business. Witch or otherwise. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that there is no God?

Location hidden

#4782 Jan 31, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Can I prove that fairies do not exist at the bottom of my garden?

Impossible to definately disprove an invisible and silent entity.

However.. 1) Gods and religions are man made, 2) prayers go unanswered, fails to heal amputees etc 3) problem of evil and problem of suffering, 4) bible and quran contradictions, errors and absurdities.
No. No. No. It doesn't work that way. You asked me to scientifically prove why I believe in God, and I did. I asked you to scientifically support your belief that God doesn't exist, and you give me misdirection, and fairies, and hogwash. That's not very "logical" at all. Answer my question please. It is only one, and I have answered all of the questions you've asked me. Fair is fair. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God is not real?

Location hidden

#4783 Jan 31, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>No, that is wrong. it can be valid about some things and wrong about others. In the case of the Bible, it is wrong about the global flood and Exodus and correct about Darius being the Persian king at one point.

[QUOTE] The fact is the contents of the Bible CAN be verified through the science of archeology. Noah's ark has been found busted into two pieces and sitting at the top of a mountain in modern day Turkey. I really could go on and on. Why is this even a discussion? "

Because the assumption you make is that the Bible is either tpotally true or totally wrong. The Old Testament is a propaganda book for the ancient Israelites. And the New Testament shows how mystery religions grew in the Roman empire.

No, Noah's ark has not been found. There have been claims from Christian missionaries, but the pictures they provided are of rock formations and not of a boat.
Enough with this. I have explained and given links to articles which discuss proof of a great flood in the area indicated in the Bible. There is satellite imagery proving that the ark IS at the top of Mt. Ararat. Either the Bible is historically, archaeologically, scientifically accurate or it isn't. You don't get to split hairs. That is not logical AT ALL. You've asked me for scientific proof of God's existence, and I've given it to you. I ask you one simple question and you misdirect and attempt to poke holes where there are none. Again I ask you, what proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God is not real?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4784 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Yeah. Enough with the misdirection. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
The burden of proof is on the one making the existence claim. In the absence of any evidence that a deity exists, it is reasonable to have a lack of belief in deities. That is atheism.

I can point out that all the usual 'proofs' of the existence of a God fall short and the fact the believers still feel the need to justify their belief is evidence that they are unsure of the facts.

After that, the 'proof' of non-existence depends heavily on *which* version of God is being discussed. Some people identify God with either the universe or the laws of physics. While such a definition seems to stretch the definition of God to extremes, it is one I can live with. On the other extreme is the 'man in the clouds with a white beard' version that even most believers don't believe any longer (although they did in fairly recent times).

Do I believe an intelligence created the universe? No. Why not? because the characteristics of a creation are not evident in the real world. But that takes a more thorough analysis of how to detect intelligent intervention, which requires understanding what can be achieved without intelligent intervention.

Location hidden

#4785 Jan 31, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, this happens all the time. It is fiction placed in a historical context with the characters doing some of the things from history, but the conversation, analysis, etc all fictionalized. Furthermore, much of the early Bible was originally oral tradition. That means they often 'expanded' the stories to both be memorable and exciting to the audience. So they used real places and real people, but put in legends and mythical elements. yes, this even happens today: ever hear of Washington chopping down the cherry tree? It never happened, but it is a good story. And Washington was a real person.
No. I have proven to you the historical, archeological, and scientific accuracy of
the Bible. Whether you choose or not to believe its moral teachings isn't necessary in order to establish its authenticity as a historically accurate document. Oral tradition was man-kind's first form of historical documentation. We used it long before we started writing things down in history books. It is a valid and widely accepted form of documenting history. Now answer my question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4786 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough with this. I have explained and given links to articles which discuss proof of a great flood in the area indicated in the Bible. There is satellite imagery proving that the ark IS at the top of Mt. Ararat.
Sorry, wrong.
Either the Bible is historically, archaeologically, scientifically accurate or it isn't. You don't get to split hairs. That is not logical AT ALL.
If the question is whether it is *perfectly* reliable, then the answer is no. it agrees with the facts in some cases, but not in others. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?
You've asked me for scientific proof of God's existence, and I've given it to you.
No you haven't. At most you have given a claim that Noah's ark exists. that is a far cry from showing a God exists. And even *that* claim is based on falsehoods.
I ask you one simple question and you misdirect and attempt to poke holes where there are none. Again I ask you, what proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God is not real?
See above.

Location hidden

#4787 Jan 31, 2013
DaBroad wrote:
The bible is no more or less accurate than any holy text. Faith in a book is faith misplaced. Books were written by humans, and the words are colored by the personal idiosyncracies of the writers and if the culture in which they were written. In times when manuscripts were copied by hand, a little creative editing was often employed. Nuances of dead languages are lost in translation. Indeed, the meaning of an entire passage can be changed by using a different translation of a single word.
As for the "earth based" or pagan faiths without a sacred text, faith is a desire to return to life more in sync with the world around us. The monotheistic"big 3" are conquering, warrior religions, intent on proving the god-bestowed superiority of man over nature. It seems that many people are realizing that we live in this world, the one world we have, and conquering or subverting nature to our needs is not necessarily the best option.
Is there a god? I don't know. Nobody does. It can neither be proven nor disproven. To try to force everyone to believe what you do is a sign of insecurity in your own beliefs. Fundamentalism, whether of belief or disbelief, garners only fanatics and zealots. It is better to say, you believe as you do and I as I do. There is no need to attempt to convert anyone else. Belief or disbelief cannot be forced upon another person.
THANK YOU!! Finally an honest answer to a very simple question. " Is there a God? I don't know." Let's ignore the fact for now that the existence of God CAN scientifically be proven. Let's ignore for now the various misconceptions you seem to have about religions and those who choose to believe in them. You just answered my question in complete honesty and COMPLETELY proven atheism to be FALSE. You cannot prove that there is no God (even though science has proven his existence again and again throughout history) because there is no scientific evidence to do so. Thus your belief in the absence of God is ILLOGICAL and FALSE. And your violent hatred for all those who choose to believe in the painfully (scientifically proven) obvious fact that there is a God is uncalled for terribly misguided. Thank you, person, for finally admitting the truth!! I am done here. Have a great day!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4788 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough with this. I have explained and given links to articles which discuss proof of a great flood in the area indicated in the Bible. There is satellite imagery proving that the ark IS at the top of Mt. Ararat.
Oh, you mean *this* discovery which is an acknowledged fake?

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/04/29/ex-colleagu...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4789 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I have proven to you the historical, archeological, and scientific accuracy of
the Bible. Whether you choose or not to believe its moral teachings isn't necessary in order to establish its authenticity as a historically accurate document.
Agreed. it has limited accuracy during a special time period and is largely mytho outside of that time period.
Oral tradition was man-kind's first form of historical documentation. We used it long before we started writing things down in history books. It is a valid and widely accepted form of documenting history.
Wrong yet again. Oral history tends to distort the truth, especially after many re-tellings. Did you ever play 'telephone' as a kid? So, while oral history if often based on real events, it is also so changed that it is not reliable concerning the details of those events. In particular, the Noah legend goes back way before the Bible into Babylonian mythology in the epic of Gilgamesh. If you read the two accounts, you can see how the legend grew over time.
Now answer my question. What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
Answered above.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4790 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
THANK YOU!! Finally an honest answer to a very simple question. " Is there a God? I don't know." Let's ignore the fact for now that the existence of God CAN scientifically be proven.
No, it cannot and has not.
Let's ignore for now the various misconceptions you seem to have about religions and those who choose to believe in them. You just answered my question in complete honesty and COMPLETELY proven atheism to be FALSE. You cannot prove that there is no God (even though science has proven his existence again and again throughout history) because there is no scientific evidence to do so. Thus your belief in the absence of God is ILLOGICAL and FALSE.
Absence of belief is not the same as belief in absence. Atheists are those who lack a belief in God. That is tpyically because they think the evidence is not enough to support such a belief OR that they think the matter is not well-defined in the first place. You are battling a straw man.
And your violent hatred for all those who choose to believe in the painfully (scientifically proven) obvious fact that there is a God is uncalled for terribly misguided. Thank you, person, for finally admitting the truth!! I am done here. Have a great day!
it is NOT scientifically proven OR obvious. That you seem to think so just shows your lack of understanding.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4791 Jan 31, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
THANK YOU!! Finally an honest answer to a very simple question. " Is there a God? I don't know." Let's ignore the fact for now that the existence of God CAN scientifically be proven. Let's ignore for now the various misconceptions you seem to have about religions and those who choose to believe in them. You just answered my question in complete honesty and COMPLETELY proven atheism to be FALSE. You cannot prove that there is no God (even though science has proven his existence again and again throughout history) because there is no scientific evidence to do so. Thus your belief in the absence of God is ILLOGICAL and FALSE. And your violent hatred for all those who choose to believe in the painfully (scientifically proven) obvious fact that there is a God is uncalled for terribly misguided. Thank you, person, for finally admitting the truth!! I am done here. Have a great day!
Don't foget to order another load of straw. At the rate you're building up straw men to knock down you'll run out soon!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 21 min NightSerf 725
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Patrick 1,024
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 228,601
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr nOgOd 4
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Eman 22,934
Heaven 5 hr Patrick 7
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Patrick 5,938

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE