Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4651 Jan 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>And is the 'soul' a reliable measuring device? For that matter, where, exactly, is the soul? How do we know it is there? Will two different people always measure the same 'spiritual truth'? By all the evidence, we can say not.

In other words, you claim the existence of an instrument that is unreliable, cannot be detected in any way (other than by itself) and you want to claim that the detection it does is truthful? Really?
LMFAO! Seriously?! The fact that a person chooses to believe in the existence of God bothers you THIS much? Some things simply defy logic. You can't look at matters of the heart or people's various beliefs or feelings so analytically. Not everything is logical. Love for instance is illogical. You do believe in love right?

Location hidden

#4652 Jan 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>As long as you don't attempt to teach your superstitions in schools, or legislate them in Congress, or belittle those who disagree, I have no problem with your belief.
And as long as you don't try to berate, ridicule, and bombard those of us who choose to believe I have no problem with your non belief.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#4653 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL! Why do you keep blaming God for the actions of some corrupt men? Humans have free will. Our choices are our own. Religion is not the same thing as having a relationship. Man made institutions are just that. Nothing more. Why is it so hard for you to put the blame on the individuals responsible for the actions instead of passing the buck onto God or Christians in general? Aren't we all responsible for our own actions? Isn't that part of being an adult?
You can't have a relationship with someone you can't prove exists. That's preposterous. What you have is a religion.

Free will would mean that God is not omniscient and therefore not God. You can't have it both ways.

Location hidden

#4654 Jan 30, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>On the other hand, why do people give credit to God when things go well?
Or blame God when things go wrong? As a believer in a higher power, we choose to believe that God is watching over us. That he ordains the footsteps of the righteous, and that he sends his angels to watch over us. We trust him to lead and guide us through our every day lives. Thanking him is simply a form of worship.

#4655 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO! Seriously?! The fact that a person chooses to believe in the existence of God bothers you THIS much? Some things simply defy logic. You can't look at matters of the heart or people's various beliefs or feelings so analytically. Not everything is logical. Love for instance is illogical. You do believe in love right?
If you can't look at something analytically, measure and verify, then you are just making crap up as it suits you.

Love as an anthropological being does not exist. It is merely an emotion evoked with brain processes.

Location hidden

#4656 Jan 30, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>If you can't look at something analytically, measure and verify, then you are just making crap up as it suits you.

Love as an anthropological being does not exist. It is merely an emotion evoked with brain processes.
So are you saying that the feeling of love isn't real? That it's disingenuous? I'm well aware of the chemicals released by the brain. Love is simply the feeling one gets as a result of the release of said chemicals. Does it make it any less real? Of course not. Also I don't have to be analytical in my thought process to be correct about something. Again, not everything is logical. Some things defy it.

#4657 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the feeling of love isn't real? That it's disingenuous? I'm well aware of the chemicals released by the brain. Love is simply the feeling one gets as a result of the release of said chemicals. Does it make it any less real? Of course not. Also I don't have to be analytical in my thought process to be correct about something. Again, not everything is logical. Some things defy it.
Love is perfectly logical. It is a social bond that groups people together. Many animals evolved this trait, it is a survival advantage.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4658 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or blame God when things go wrong? As a believer in a higher power, we choose to believe that God is watching over us. That he ordains the footsteps of the righteous, and that he sends his angels to watch over us. We trust him to lead and guide us through our every day lives. Thanking him is simply a form of worship.
But when you pray for something and don't get it, people will say it's just God's will, but if you do get it, you thank God. So what's the point of praying if God has his own agenda?

#4659 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
But we really aren't talking about logic. We are talking about evidence. There is no truth in faith. Anytime someone wants something to be so to the point that they BELIEVE it to be so, that still doesn't make it true. There is no truth in faith.

Verifiable evidence reveals the truth.

Location hidden

#4660 Jan 30, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Love is perfectly logical. It is a social bond that groups people together. Many animals evolved this trait, it is a survival advantage.
I'll bypass the whole logical vs illogical thing for a bit cause it's really gotten old. Love as a survival advantage? Explain.

Location hidden

#4661 Jan 30, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>But when you pray for something and don't get it, people will say it's just God's will, but if you do get it, you thank God. So what's the point of praying if God has his own agenda?
Ha God is not a genie. I don't just rub a lamp and get my wish. That is not the way prayer works. Prayer is simply talking to God. No I'm not a skitzo. I'm not talking to myself. I do not hear voices. Just one voice. A still, small voice.

I believe that God has a plan for my life. I also believe in trusting him to guide my footsteps through life. Don't understand it? Don't like it? You ain't got to. It's between me and the God I choose to serve. Quite frankly my belief has nothing to do with you. And you lack the authority to judge it.

#4662 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bypass the whole logical vs illogical thing for a bit cause it's really gotten old. Love as a survival advantage? Explain.
Simple: strength in numbers. Canines form packs, birds form flocks, even fish in schools. I'm sure they have similar brain chemistry activity when they encounter others of their group as we do when we encounter friends and family.... "Love"!!

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4663 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha God is not a genie. I don't just rub a lamp and get my wish. That is not the way prayer works. Prayer is simply talking to God. No I'm not a skitzo. I'm not talking to myself. I do not hear voices. Just one voice. A still, small voice.
I believe that God has a plan for my life. I also believe in trusting him to guide my footsteps through life. Don't understand it? Don't like it? You ain't got to. It's between me and the God I choose to serve. Quite frankly my belief has nothing to do with you. And you lack the authority to judge it.
I'm not judging; just asking questions.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#4664 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I can talk to a pet rock.

I think your beliefs are silly, but you don't have to run your life past me for approval.
As long as you don't try to impose your beliefs on others, I don't really have a problem with you.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4665 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I believe in love. It is a wonderful and powerful emotion. Like all emotions, it happens in the brain. But God is not an emotion. It is supposed to be something external to ourselves. And *that* is what you have not demonstrated. I am convinced people have emotions that are classified as 'religious experiences'. I simply don't think they have anything to do with the world outside of their brains.

So why does it bother you so much that someone *doesn't* believe in God?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4666 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is you talking to yourself. You may not believe it is, but if you look deeper, you will find out that is what is going on.
So why air it in a public forum?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4667 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing.
If you have to believe *before* experiencing, then you are simply deluding yourself. the thing about reality is that it doesn't go away simply because you don't believe in it.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4668 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
But is the fact that the brain releases those chemicals enough to conclude the *other* person feels the same way you do? of course not. And if you get those feelings for something that is in your imagination, then you are simply being deluded. But if you are OK with that, don't let me stop you.

Location hidden

#4669 Jan 30, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>But we really aren't talking about logic. We are talking about evidence. There is no truth in faith. Anytime someone wants something to be so to the point that they BELIEVE it to be so, that still doesn't make it true. There is no truth in faith.

Verifiable evidence reveals the truth.
There has been plenty of historical evidence to verify and prove the existence of what is written in the Bible. Archeologists have located Noah's Ark as well as the Ark of the Covenant, among other equally significant discoveries. But that's not really what you want to hear is it? I think debating theology with a person who doesn't even believe in said theology to begin with is the very definition of redundancy. Much like this round and round we've got going on here. It's getting boring and redundant. If you don't want to believe in God then more power to you. I don't feel the need to try and convert you. Quite frankly your life decisions don't affect me at all. I respect your right to choose. But don't you dare tell me how to live my life or who I should believe in. You have absolutely no right. No authority whatsoever. Your aggression towards those who choose to believe is uncalled for and unnecessary. You can be free to disbelieve without being aggressive about it. People do it everyday.

#4670 Jan 30, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
There has been plenty of historical evidence to verify and prove the existence of what is written in the Bible. Archeologists have located Noah's Ark as well as the Ark of the Covenant, among other equally significant discoveries.
Please produce these artifacts or admit you are lying.
01Justsayin wrote:
But that's not really what you want to hear is it? I think debating theology with a person who doesn't even believe in said theology to begin with is the very definition of redundancy. Much like this round and round we've got going on here. It's getting boring and redundant. If you don't want to believe in God then more power to you. I don't feel the need to try and convert you.
There simply is no truth in faith. Just because you want something to be so, doesn't make it that way. Just BELIEVING in your God won't make him real no matter how hard you do it.
01Justsayin wrote:
Quite frankly your life decisions don't affect me at all. I respect your right to choose. But don't you dare tell me how to live my life or who I should believe in. You have absolutely no right. No authority whatsoever. Your aggression towards those who choose to believe is uncalled for and unnecessary. You can be free to disbelieve without being aggressive about it. People do it everyday.
You share the same voting space I do, you vote on the same issues I do. I have to live with the same laws and officials you approve. It absolutely is my concern what other people in this society accept as real because their reality influences how they vote.

So if you believe in stupid crap and vote in such a way to force me to abide by it, that gives me the right to voice my objections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 min Patrick 176
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 31 min Eagle 12 227,297
What Bums Me Out Most About Being an Atheist 35 min californio 88
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Eman 21,903
The Ultimate Evidence of God 2 hr susanblange 119
Stump a theist with 2 questions 6 hr NightSerf 9
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 6 hr TheHeadlines 28
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••