Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
4,181 - 4,200 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013
pinch111

Plymouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Seems to me that many are losing the plot, and the whole debate/argument.Atheism will not replace religion,Agnosticism will.
Fitz

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, while clearly great thinkers for their time, made a lot of mistakes. Socrates made many very basic logic errors in his questioning. Plato's version of the ideal world is clearly wrong in many ways. Aristotle was better than Plato because he at least considered the real world worthy of explanation, but he was wrong about most of his physics (for example). His ideas about causality are fundamentally flawed.
These three are important because they got us working towards a better understanding of ourselves and the universe around us. But, as the ones making the first steps, they did not reach that goal and they fell into some troubles that were not fixed for thousands of years.
So where were we again?
We were at the point were I concede you as far and away the most worthy advocate on this board. Clearly your fellow travelers have not read much of anything much less "Humes Dialogues concerning natural religion"..

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone has obviously never read Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates.
Fine! So all of their ideas did not stand on their own, just the important ones did. So what?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians know that oral traditions are very reliable conduits of hiostorical knowledge and differ sharply from story telling and legends in both substance and practice.
The Gospels were first person accounts made by people who were eye witnesses.. They have as much veracity as the letters of Paul...that we have zero evidence were written by Paul and you fail by your own inconsistant "standard" that you established to make a point that has now backfired on you.
The reason for this is simple. Unlike serious minds that dont doubt the historical existance of Jesus.. they are apporaching the subject the same way the apporach any historical figure.
You however have a deep seated bias against religion and want to mock figures like Jesus, in that persuit you end up engaging in arguments that hold impossible to maintain "standards of proof" that resonable people dont apply and that you cannot apply with any consitancy or accuracy..
Nice Job painting yourself into a corner.
Wrong on virtually all counts. The authors of the Gospels did not meet Christ. They are not eyewitness accounts. Pedal your BS somewhere else.

http://www.deusdiapente.net/science/gospels.p...
http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

pinch111 wrote:
Seems to me that many are losing the plot, and the whole debate/argument.Atheism will not replace religion,Agnosticism will.
Nobody cares about that point. The difference between an Atheist and an Agnostic is very small in most discussions.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians know that oral traditions are very reliable conduits of hiostorical knowledge and differ sharply from story telling and legends in both substance and practice.
The Gospels were first person accounts made by people who were eye witnesses.. They have as much veracity as the letters of Paul...that we have zero evidence were written by Paul and you fail by your own inconsistant "standard" that you established to make a point that has now backfired on you.
The reason for this is simple. Unlike serious minds that dont doubt the historical existance of Jesus.. they are apporaching the subject the same way the apporach any historical figure.
You however have a deep seated bias against religion and want to mock figures like Jesus, in that persuit you end up engaging in arguments that hold impossible to maintain "standards of proof" that resonable people dont apply and that you cannot apply with any consitancy or accuracy..
Nice Job painting yourself into a corner.

30 C.E. to appx. 73 C.E
The conflict between the Hellenism and the traditions of ethnic Judaism was nowhere more obvious than in the northern part of Palestine, which had been so often subject to conquest and which, being on the major trade route between Asia Minor and the Transjordan, was constantly subjected to foreign influence. This northern region apparently didn't even consider itself to be Jewish, but rather a separate nation that had been annexed, apparently involuntarily, by the Maccabean kings of Israel. So here you have Hellenized Semitics under the influence and control of Jewish kings, looking elsewhere for philosophical guidance. It was a volatile mix.

Into this little region, called Galilee, was born a stubborn iconoclast. He resented the Roman occupation but accepted its rule. He was an intellect who understood at least the rudiments of the Cynic school of Greek philosophy and the complex theology of the Semitic Jews around him. But he would have none of it. He felt that there had to be a better way to live. He grew up a suburb of the capital of Galilee, in a place called Nazareth. His name was Jesus.

At least, that's the mythology that has grown up around this figure. For all his influence on the world, there's better evidence that he never even existed than that he did. We have absolutely no reliable evidence, from secular sources, that Jesus ever lived, or that any of the events surrounding his life as described in the four Gospels ever happened.

Indeed, when scholars apply the Negative Evidence Principle, it begins to look like the Jesus we know from the New Testament is the result of late first-century mythmaking.

The Negative Evidence Principle is, of course, not foolproof. It is not a proof in itself, but is rather a guideline, a good rule of thumb. How useful and reliable it is, of course, is subject to debate among logicians. Here's how the N.E.P. works - it states that you have good reason for not believing in a proposition if the following three principles are satisfied: First, all of the evidence supporting the proposition has been shown to be unreliable. Second, there is no evidence supporting the proposition when the evidence should be there if the proposition is true. And third, a thorough and exhaustive search has been made for supporting evidence where it should be found.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

I wonder who would jump out of window first if they thought they could fly.An Atheists or a Agnostic?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Jumper The Wise wrote:
I wonder who would jump out of window first if they thought they could fly.An Atheists or a Agnostic?
Both would be after the Christians since the Atheist and Agnostic would want to see verifiable evidence it were possible first.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
We were at the point were I concede you as far and away the most worthy advocate on this board. Clearly your fellow travelers have not read much of anything much less "Humes Dialogues concerning natural religion"..
Hume is one of the better ones in my mind, although I lean more to Ayer and the positivists. Kant made a valiant effort, but still was subject to too many assumptions that were later found to be wrong.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive they deal with two different sides of the coin. You can be an agnostic atheist or a gnostic atheist. An agnostic theist or a gnostic theist.

It amazes me how people lack the IQ to understand this.

Or more likely many non believers run from the atheist title because of the stigma put on the term by theists. Personally I won't allow theists to have that much control over me.
pinch111 wrote:
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Being a primate scares you, doesn't it? Care to claim that you are not?
It is easy to prove, yet I would put $100,000 cash on the line, saying you would not have your blood and DNA mapped to prove otherwise. Get used to it ape-boy, human is ape, human is primate.
That proves my case, you are not "fully evolved"....may be if you were to live amongst apes and primates, they might understand you better!!

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive they deal with two different sides of the coin. You can be an agnostic atheist or a gnostic atheist. An agnostic theist or a gnostic theist.

It amazes me how people lack the IQ to understand this.

Or more likely many non believers run from the atheist title because of the stigma put on the term by theists. Personally I won't allow theists to have that much control over me.
IQ? Bwahaha! Yet you are married to a theist and I am sure she controls you.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>That proves my case, you are not "fully evolved"....may be if you were to live amongst apes and primates, they might understand you better!!
Reason Personified is petrified.

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

You don't see apes blowing themselves up to kill other apes like Muslim swine do.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
That proves my case, you are not "fully evolved"....may be if you were to live amongst apes and primates, they might understand you better!!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Jumper The Wise wrote:
The vapid hole, of course.

If we thought* we could fly, we would first get clearance, then we would taxi out to the runway. It will be you alone going out the window.

* We would be certain as to whether we had, had any lessons. We would be certain as to whether we had any certification. So while you are thinking you can fly we would know, whether we could. In fact some of us can, there are valid pilot's licenses issued to several of us.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

In a world of 7 billion people that is hardly surprising.
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone has obviously never read Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

What's it like hearing the words "allahu akbar" without a large explosion following it?

Because every time I see muslims in places like Syria and Egypt on the news, that's what I have to endure.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you would chicken out.

Since you think there would be proof that you are a primate in your blood, you can't take the chance on it being found out right? Would your religion of peace buddies, stone you to death, if you had your DNA mapped?
And no one is fully evolved, we all continue to evolve.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Aliroger1 wrote:
JESUS IS A PURELY pFICTIONAL CHARACTER, NO MORE REAL THAN MICKEY MOUSE
Religions are based on fairy tales for the weak-minded, gullible and mentally ill.
But of course....atheists are as pure as the driven snow......ALL. are intectual giants.....No credible man or woman of science would dare believe in such "fairy tales".
pinch111

Plymouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody cares about that point. The difference between an Atheist and an Agnostic is very small in most discussions.
No Atheists tend to be as arrogant in their disbelief as many religious zealots are in their beliefs,Agnostics less so.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Introducing The Universal Religion 3 hr nanoanomaly 735
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Reason Personified 247
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 hr Aura Mytha 224,514
What does "Atheism" mean? 10 hr Patrick 34
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 11 hr Patrick 395
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 12 hr religionisillness 19
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 hr Growupchildren 21,401
•••
•••