Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,477

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#4240 Jan 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Your creators are the laws of physics and chemistry. They bestow no rights. Man defines and claims his own rights.
While you may claim this for yourself you cannot impose your belief on me.
I have a creator therefore I have the unalienable rights bestowed on me by my creator. You don't have a creator so you have no rights bestowed on you.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#4241 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a creator therefore I have the unalienable rights bestowed on me by my creator. You don't have a creator so you have no rights bestowed on you.
Nope! Not bestowed! CLAIMED AND OWNED!!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#4242 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
He doesn't see 7 as a well-populated category, placing himself as 6:'Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist'.[6] Again, this terminology suggests that he sees atheism as strictly requiring certainty.
It doesn't suggest that; it directly contradicts it.

Location hidden

#4243 Jan 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Correct.
More word games played by atheist. Whats the harm in deleting all of my words and leave only the quote from a atheist so it would appear that I typed that. Atheist need to stoop to this level because they have nothing.

HFY has again shown her inability at trying an honest discussion.

Location hidden

#4244 Jan 23, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely - why stop there? Only a person not capable of critical thinking would unquestionably accept an ancient text as the sole determiner of reality.

We know more now than uneducated goat herders did from thousands of years ago. Sorry, they were grossly uninformed with how reality works.

Intelligent Christians derive positive spiritual experiences from their religion, and increased empathy and understanding of their fellow humans.

Creationists belittle all that our society has accomplished since the struggle of the enlightenment and would set us back 300 years, destroying all our technical knowledge based on biological science. You people are dangerous and damaging to our society's future.

And you are two faced about it. If you truly believed that evolution didn't happen, you would refuse to use modern antibiotics - you'd demand 1940s medication to the ailments you have. If you did this, you'd be honest, but extinct within a few decades. So you're hypocrites. Living off our advanced knowledge, based on evolutionary theory, yet denying it while trying to stupidify our fellow citizens and destroy the high quality of education that so many, many working class citizens gave their entire lives to achieve for their children.

No. No, sir. We don't need your kind of vile and damaging belief system.
"And you are two faced about it. If you truly believed that evolution didn't happen, you would refuse to use modern antibiotics - you'd demand 1940s medication to the ailments you have"

Why this makes no sense at all.
I work in science I know what science is and isn't.

#4245 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"And you are two faced about it. If you truly believed that evolution didn't happen, you would refuse to use modern antibiotics - you'd demand 1940s medication to the ailments you have"
Why this makes no sense at all.
I work in science I know what science is and isn't.
Sweeping laboratory floors does not qualify you as a scientist, nor is it "working in science".

OTOH, being the subject of laboratory experiments might be working in science .... is that you Brain?

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#4246 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
And there is this.
"All new atheist population around the world!
"Atheism losing adherents in terms of the global population
The 2004 to 2007 publicity campaign for atheism in the Western World was not sustainable. The level of public interest in atheism is not coming back in the West and global atheism is shrinking.
See also: Global atheism and American atheism and Atheist Population and Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day.
In 2011, the American Spectator citing research published in the International Bulletin of Missionary Research reported that atheism is on the decline as a whole in terms of adherents .
The American Spectator declared:
The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding.
In 2009, the book A sceptics guide to atheism indicated: "A worldwide poll taken in 1991 put the global figure for atheists at just 4.4% of the population. By 2006 it was estimated that only 2% of the world population were atheists."
In 2012 an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
The IBMR publishes yearly figures for religions (and non religions) around the globe. Their latest numbers, hot off the press (Jan. 2012) show some interesting trends.
Atheism is in Decline
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty 4.5% of the global population. By 2012 atheists number is estimated at 137 million. Thats a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists share declined to less than one-in-fifty under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world!
Atheism is in decline.
Agnosticism is in Decline
In 2000 agnostics (those who don't know if there is a God) numbered 666 million, 10.9% of the worlds people. By 2012 agnostic number is estimated at 661 million--a decline of 5 million. In relative terms by 2012 agnostics represent less than one tenth (9.4%) of world population. Every 24 hours there are 1,100 less agnostics in the world. Agnostics are also in decline.
Added together these two groups make up a declining share of global population. In 1970 atheists and agnostics accounted for one-in-five (19.2%) of the worlds people. Based on current trends by 2025 they will represent less than one-in-ten (9.7%). Their population share will fall by half in 50+ years."
http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism
Conservapedia...no bias there, huh?
But even if their numbers are accurate, they don't argue for the existence of god, just the existence of ignorance and fear.

Santa Monica, CA

#4247 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nazareth was a small kind of backwards little town. Would this type of town catch much attention from historian writers? Nope. There is enough evidence for historian of today to accept the fact that Nazareth did exist at the time of Jesus.
What if it did? That doesn't argue for the historicity of Jesus.
Langoliers wrote:
As far as you not believing Jesus was a real person. I can't begin to list all the evidence but I doubt if I did it would make any difference. You are loaded down with all your other beliefs.
What is some of this evidence. No need to list all, just some.
Langoliers wrote:
Big Bang (not Bag):)
1) when nothing exploded creating everything.
2) when a spinning (or not spinning) singularity exploded creating everything.
3) a bouncing universe
Spontaneous life
1) life coming from rain falling on rocks
Evolution
1) a speck of spontaneous life from wet rocks the ancestor of every plant and animal life that ever lived.
2) that mankind is just an animal nothing more
3) that morality only evolved in one animal ( man )
4) that because human chromosome number 2 is fused and no other member of the ape family has it proves we are apes.?????(Really?)
The myth of the atheist's obligation.
Just because we point out that many fundie beliefs are clearly absurd it doesn't mean we are obligated to explain how life, the universe and everything began.

Santa Monica, CA

#4248 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope sorry you missed out.
I have a creator I get the inalienable rights.
You don't have a creator you don't get those rights. You are just an animal the same as a rat or mouse. No rights.
Neither of us have a creator. Sorry, that's a simple fact.
Langoliers wrote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. "
"endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"
This statement in The Declaration of Independence shows that we get unalienable Rights because we have a creator. You don't get them because you have no creator.
But we don't have a creator. No sheet of paper will change that.

Santa Monica, CA

#4249 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
A Christian has the following options:
To assume that Genesis 1-9 is allegory, myth or poetry not to be taken literally. But if so, what do we do with the rest of the Bible? Why stop there?
To hold on to both creation and evolution and try to reconcile the two. This state is unstable and readily leads to liberalism.
To ignore the Old Testament and make an existential leap to a shallow believism.
To accept that “by faith we understand that the worlds were made by the word of God”(Hebrews 11:3). Only in this, the Scriptural way, do we find release from the tensions of the conflict.
IOW, you are simple minded and lazy. Being free of "tensions of the conflict" is more important to you than being rational and understanding the truth.
Well, I've asked many times why fundies feel the need to believe all of the buy-bull is literally true, now I know. TYVM.

Location hidden

#4250 Jan 23, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Neither of us have a creator. Sorry, that's a simple fact.

Langoliers wrote, "
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. "
"endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"
This statement in The Declaration of Independence shows that we get unalienable Rights because we have a creator. You don't get them because you have no creator."

But we don't have a creator. No sheet of paper will change that.
"Neither of us have a creator. Sorry, that's a simple fact."

Great you now claim to have proof that there is no God. You and you alone have this proof. This should make you a very rich person. So spill the beans what is this proof.

"But we don't have a creator. No sheet of paper will change that"

You don't get the unalienable rights because you deny that there is a creator. We get them because we have a creator. The paper does not prove or create a God. It grants us Theist certain rights.

Santa Monica, CA

#4251 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Why that's simply not true you know?
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists and other free thinkers, believe in lots of different things. Its just that the things they believe in are based in reality and not on myths and fantasy.
G
be·lieve\bə-ˈlēv\
intransitive verb
1 a : to have a firm religious faith
Why are you being dishonest? Notice you have "1 a" in your post. That makes it clear that "believe" has more than one meaning.
Not all of them have to do with religion, or you would have posted them all.

Location hidden

#4252 Jan 23, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>IOW, you are simple minded and lazy. Being free of "tensions of the conflict" is more important to you than being rational and understanding the truth.
Well, I've asked many times why fundies feel the need to believe all of the buy-bull is literally true, now I know. TYVM.
I don't believe in a buy-bull.

Location hidden

#4253 Jan 23, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you being dishonest? Notice you have "1 a" in your post. That makes it clear that "believe" has more than one meaning.
Not all of them have to do with religion, or you would have posted them all.
Yup. However 1a makes it the main meaning the most used meaning and the most likely correct meaning. A number 1.

#4254 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in a buy-bull.
\

Ya, you do! And it is 2000 yo bull.

Santa Monica, CA

#4255 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Neither of us have a creator. Sorry, that's a simple fact."
Great you now claim to have proof that there is no God. You and you alone have this proof. This should make you a very rich person. So spill the beans what is this proof.
Since there isn't any evidence of a god, there is no need to even entertain the idea there is one.
Langoliers wrote:
"But we don't have a creator. No sheet of paper will change that"
You don't get the unalienable rights because you deny that there is a creator. We get them because we have a creator. The paper does not prove or create a God. It grants us Theist certain rights.
Paper grants you theists certain rights? I thought you said god did.
Oh, well.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4256 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold it -- if you believe that you have a creator, then you have to believe that atheists also have a creator too, regardless of their disbelief. Otherwise, you might as well say that simply because you believe something, it must be true, and if you don't believe something, it isn't true. Nobody knows the truth about creation, and one "religion" is no more valid than the other, regardless of what you personally believe.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#4257 Jan 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would just add that we know more than the *educated* people from 2000 years ago also. Even the most educated Greek philosopher from 2000 years ago would be considered a bumbling fool by today's standards when talking about how the universe works. At that time, the standard view of the universe was a geocentric universe with different laws working on earth and in the 'heavens'(ie, above the moon) with the stars as openings in a giant sphere encompassing this and a spiritual realm above that sphere. Anyone with this viewpoint today would be considered fit for remedial education. And yet, that was the culture from which Christianity came and to which its principles show allegiance.
Totally. I was ... trying to be insulting :)
Lincoln

United States

#4258 Jan 23, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Since there isn't any evidence of a god, there is no need to even entertain the idea there is one.
<quoted text>
Paper grants you theists certain rights? I thought you said god did.
Oh, well.
Attacks on God and Christianity in No way indicate that atheism is valid.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#4259 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
More word games played by atheist. Whats the harm in deleting all of my words and leave only the quote from a atheist so it would appear that I typed that. Atheist need to stoop to this level because they have nothing.
HFY has again shown her inability at trying an honest discussion.
Picking out the relevant phrases.

I tried having an honest discussion with you, but honesty seems pretty far beyond you creationists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 25 min KiMare 232,878
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 hr Eagle 12 2,407
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 hr _Bad Company 23,198
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 16 hr Pahu 33
God' existence 16 hr Carchar king 63
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 16 hr Carchar king 138
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 23 hr Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web