Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
4,021 - 4,040 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#4200 Jan 23, 2013
Fitz wrote:
an example of how your blind anti-religious bigotry leads you to interpret thingsthat fit your prejudice
This bigotry calumny from you is getting pretty old. Rejecting your juju is not bigotry.

Do you want to see bigotry? Read this:

[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

According to this hate speech, there is not one good unbeliever. Not one who does good. According to your holy scriptures, those who doubt them are all corrupt and vile.

Here's a little more sugar from your blessed book:

[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8

Now we learn that doubters are abominable, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and fit to me dropped while still conscious into a pit of burning fire to suffer forever.

What would you expect the ramifications of such hate speech to be?

[3] "No, I dont know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God. George H. W. Bush

[4] From http://atheists.org/content/bigotry-worst-aga... :

Bigotry Worst Against Atheists - The Ultimate Outsiders? New Report Casts Atheists "Others" Beyond Morality And Community In America

March 25, 2006

"A new study ... has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society.

"Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."

"Disturbingly, Atheists are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public," despite being only 3% of the U.S. population. Edgell said that Atheists "play the role that Catholics, Jews and communists have played in the past" in that we provide "a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."

==========

Who are the bigots here?

We have every right to resist and denounce your church for that.

Fennario

#4201 Jan 23, 2013
Fitz wrote:
Scripture is filled with alagory, methaphore, poetry, symbolism and the like.
Yes, like original sin and resurrection.

Your bible is also filled with self-contradictions, failed prophecy, unfulfilled promises, and errors of scientific and historical fact, which, if you also claim that it was authored by the god that it calls perfect, makes your bible self-refuting .

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#4202 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Keep looking.
<quoted text>
The Third Reich started because a dingo ate his baby.

Fennario

#4203 Jan 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
You really should read your own material .....

"I say that if there were a true demonstration that the sun was in the center of the universe and the earth in the third sphere, and that the sun did not go around the earth but the earth went around the sun, then it would be necessary to use careful consideration in explaining the Scriptures that seemed contrary, and we should rather have to say that we do not understand them than to say that something is false which had been proven."1
1. Letter of Cardinal Bellarmine discussing the Galillo affair."
This priest refuses to consider that scripture is wrong even when it clearly is. He tells us that he will just reinterpret what the words must have actually meant.

I saw the same thinking articulated by the Christian apologist William Lane Craig, who plainly states that the scripture is correct, no matter what evidence arises to contradict it:

"...And my view here is, that the way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit. In my heart. And that this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing that Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, if in some historically contingent circumstances, the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I don't think that that contraverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right"

How close-minded is that? Contrast those two Christians with some Eastern counterparts:

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

Even Buddha was smarter than these Christians:

"Do not believe in anything simply because it is found in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Buddha

Fennario

#4204 Jan 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And on your card it is written "In Darwin we trust"? Or "In Jews we Trust"?
http://larrinski.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/... [Great Britain. Greater.]

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4205 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Man.
<quoted text>
I agree -- Man created God in his own image. I don't think that anyone knows who/what created the universe; it's beyond human comprehension.

Fennario

#4206 Jan 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Well, he was Austrian. But that hardly helps their case.
Lil Ticked wrote:
I don't think that I have ever seen a film where Hitler said, "G'day Mate."
Shame on you!:)

Think Schwarzenegger down under.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4207 Jan 23, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree -- Man created God in his own image. I don't think that anyone knows who/what created the universe; it's beyond human comprehension.
I also agree. I think man created all gods in his own image, including the ones currently in the popular imagination.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#4208 Jan 23, 2013
"He's got a gas chamber!"
"That's not a gas chamber. Now this is a gas chamber."

- Paul Hitler and Linda Siegheilski
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>The Third Reich started because a dingo ate his baby.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#4209 Jan 23, 2013
There's not a lot to see down under. Not after all those steroids.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Shame on you!:)
Think Schwarzenegger down under.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#4210 Jan 23, 2013
I wouldn't know how to prove that it's beyond human comprehension. ;)
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that anyone knows who/what created the universe; it's beyond human comprehension.
Lincoln

United States

#4211 Jan 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you've done a good job of illustrating how these fictional scriptures were used to hinder scientific investigation. There is no complexity about it. The religiously blinded would accept "scripture" as fact and deny any scientific observation that appeared to contradict it.
1. "you've done a good job of illustrating how these fictional scriptures were used to hinder scientific investigation."

You have some evidence of motivation?

2. "the religiously blinded would accept "scripture" as fact and deny any scientific observation that appeared to contradict it."

How do your know this, divine revelation of a sort?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#4212 Jan 23, 2013
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha, The drinking customers are the most fun, as long as they're not obnoxious, they're the best tippers, and they spend a lots of money.
Never trust a person who doesn't drink, I say.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#4213 Jan 23, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Exactly and well said! We do not have the historical secular proper documentation to back up what the bible myth says. All we have is.. The bible is true because it says so!
Lol and idiots fall for that!
<quoted text>
:)

and they demonstrate their gullibility at every turn, along with their dishonesty.

It's remarkable. I now understand it to be a tenet of faith, that you have to lie to others and yourself.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#4214 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You go right ahead and believe them.
You do realize that your numbers are very low compared to Theist.
In fact atheist make up a whole 2.04% of the worlds population. Yup that's it just barely over 2%!
So please explain why your little clan is right and the rest of the world is wrong?
"Fact is that there is zero proof that Jesus Christ"
Fact? Zero? Really?
Here is one piece of proof BC and AD.
"H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946
When asked which person left the most permanent impression on history, he replied that judging a person’s greatness by historical standards:
“By this test, Jesus stands first.”
“I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.”
“Christ is the most unique person of history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth.”
Kenneth Scott Latourette, former President of American Historic Society
In A History of Christianity:
“It is evidence of His importance, of the effect that He has had upon history and presumably, of the baffling mystery of His being that no other life ever lived on this planet has evoked so huge a volume of literature among so many people and languages, and that, far from ebbing, the flood continues to mount.”
“As the centuries pass by, the evidence is accumulating that measured by its effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. The influence appears to be mounting.”
“No other life lived on this planet has so widely and deeply affected mankind.”
George Bancroft, great American historian
“I find the name of Jesus Christ written on the top of every page of modern history.”
http://www.why-jesus.com/history.htm" ;
So you're just another nut job.
None of the above is evidence, as evidence is defined.

What you have is belief. Majority belief in some nations. And circumstantial evidence. Plus a lot of belief.

So...where's the proof? Prove Jesus existed. It shouldn't be hard for you. Just a link to a birth record, or a record outside of the Bible that demonstrates he lived and died. A death record - a judgment for his execution. Whatever.

You don't have to work hard, actually. I have no problems believing Jesus existed and died and was the most charismatic man ever born. That's no problem for me - but you are unable to prove that he lived and died.

But, whatever, prove it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#4215 Jan 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You appear to not know much of one of Walt Disney's icons. You see if you go into Disney's world in Florida you will see a man or woman wearing a Micky Mouse costume and they can talk. They are referred to as Micky Mouse. Not as a pretender or a fake they are indeed called Micky Mouse. You do have such a limited knowledge.
Wow. So...someone dressed up as Mickey - a caricature, an actor, paid to dress as a Disney character is "proof" that Micky Mouse is real?

hahahahahahaha, no wonder you are a creationist.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#4216 Jan 23, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin was a member of the Russian Orthodox Church until the day he died.
Look at a Nazi belt buckle which is inscribed "Gott Mit Uns" meaning God (is) with us.
In fact, the Russian Orthodox Church has portraits of the dear leader this very day.

Stalin remains an icon of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#4217 Jan 23, 2013
GWB,
Bin Laden,
Hitler.

All scared of a drink.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Never trust a person who doesn't drink, I say.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#4218 Jan 23, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
The religion of Hitler matters little. It was just a tool just like for any other political persona. Hitler would have been what ever religion he needed to be in order to gain power. Religion is just a tool to manipulate the masses, the end.
No.

The religion of Hitler matters a great deal. Not in what it teaches us about that specific religion, but in what it teaches us about manipulation, religious thinking and social norms. Hitler quite obviously used Catholicism for his own end - and Catholics had no problems following and agreeing with him. In other words, they were unwilling to or incapable of seeing through his manipulation. Religion blinded them to his ends, vile, inhumane and atrocious as their were.

To ignore religion in the Third Reich is to fail to understand humanity, religious thinking and manipulation - it is to put the blinders on. History is the only teacher we have in world politics.

The example Nazi Germany teaches us is that religion is not enough. It quite clearly cannot safeguard our morality and our civil society. We need something better, something that teaches logical, critical thinking and self reflexivity (not reflection; look it up if you made this mistake).

Religion in the Third Reich - especially the official Catholic response to Hitler - is one of the most important truths in history. To ignore this is to embrace willful stupidity and is dangerous.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#4219 Jan 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant even if true.
Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism and Maoism are simply religions like Islam and Christianity, but with human gods. They are all cults of personality, where worship of the leader and devotion to his pronouncements are demanded. Each is equally authoritarian and intolerant, and each has a long history of genocide.
Secular humanism, which is guilty of nothing worse than giving the world modern liberal democracies, human rights, and science, repudiates it all:
"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
Precisely.

They are among the most important lessons of history. Unthinking religion is dangerous - ignorant masses are a powerful weapon and religion makes them ignorant.

Only education can lift people out of ignorance, only humanism can give people non-religiously biased morality.

We can do better and we will do better.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Eagle 12 226,351
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 4 hr Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 6 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 7 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 9 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 12 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 12 hr Patrick 172
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••