Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,435

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#3186 Jan 13, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jews with their Torah, the Muslims with their Qu'ran, the Christians with their Bible ... three reasons Mankind will never know peace. Y'all suck.
Oh how true that is....If all super religous people would disappear this world could live in peace..

Since: Dec 12

Kolomotu'a

#3187 Jan 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
My next question? You never answered any of my previous questions.
<quoted text>
So again where do we even get the notion of god/s?-(i got it from other people, I can't speak for the others)
Where did the idea originate?-(I don't know)
Were your magical unseeable realm anything more than fanciful speculation -(could be, as most things abstract) how did the ancient people who gave us the concept of gods discover said realm?-(if they came up with the concept of god, I wouldn't know if they also discovered/came up with the concept of the abstract, metaphysical)
Either they had observable abilities beyond ours or they made it all up. Which do you think is more likely?-(I don't know if they had super observable powers, but strictly based on my own personal experience, it's likely they could have made it up)

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#3188 Jan 13, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
So again where do we even get the notion of god/s?-(i got it from other people, I can't speak for the others)
Were your magical unseeable realm anything more than fanciful speculation -(could be, as most things abstract) how did the ancient people who gave us the concept of gods discover said realm?-(if they came up with the concept of god, I wouldn't know if they also discovered/came up with the concept of the abstract, metaphysical)
Either they had observable abilities beyond ours or they made it all up. Which do you think is more likely?-(I don't know if they had super observable powers, but strictly based on my own personal experience, it's likely they could have made it up)
Nature rages in very god-like fashion and is terrifyingly real. Homo Sapiens grasps for understanding, it is one of our defining characteristics. Lacking science, gods are all we could come up with. Times have changed.

Texas, USA

#3189 Jan 13, 2013
Hell, I'm from Texas. I've been through tornadoes, hurricanes and lightning storms that would make a believer outta anybody. Almost anybody. LOL
Lincoln

United States

#3190 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
My morals are be based on the foundation of verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences.
While yours are based on an you base your whole moral system on an unproveable supernatural being.
We've already seen how your morals mean that you approve of genocide and infanticide as well approving of the murder of homosexuals and anyone who wishes to exercise religious freedom.
Your morals also mean you approve of mutilating babies genitals and suppressing your women.
Anyway, I can't help but notice your failure to answer my question (yet again).
So let's have another go....
IF your God ordered you to kill the child next door to you, would you obey?
Note my use of the word "if" as opposed to "when". I'm not saying that your monster god will order you to do it, I'm saying "if".
"known causes and known consequences" :-)

"Law of unintended consequences" may Bite You :-)

God does no ask you to kill the Child Next Door, unless you hear voices?

are you irrational ?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#3191 Jan 13, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
I think ancient goat herders were trying to understand where lightning came from and Thor was their best answer at the time.(Or whatever deity they envisioned.)

I find it interesting that every deity ever invented always hates the same people it's "followers" hate, and never ever seems to disagree with the believer.

Also, have you ever noticed that the incidents of "miracles" is inversely proportional to the availability of camera phones?

Texas, USA

#3192 Jan 13, 2013
An interesting little article that impinges on some of our topics ...

" http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm... ;

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#3193 Jan 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"known causes and known consequences" :-)
"Law of unintended consequences" may Bite You :-)
God does no ask you to kill the Child Next Door, unless you hear voices?
are you irrational ?
Rant
Lincoln

United States

#3194 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Rant
Yes You do Rand !

Are you the moderator in your mind?

-
"My morals

are be based on the foundation of verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences.
While yours are based on an you base your whole moral system on an unproveable supernatural being.
We've already seen how your morals mean that you approve of genocide and infanticide as well approving of the murder of homosexuals and anyone who wishes to exercise religious freedom.
Your morals also mean you approve of mutilating babies genitals and suppressing your women.
Anyway,

I can't help but notice

your failure to answer my question (yet again).
IF your god ordered you to kiext door to you, would you obey?
Note my use of the word "if" as opposed to "when".

I'm not saying

that your monster God will order you to do it, I'm saying "if"."

Self important in your rant?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#3195 Jan 13, 2013
2nd KINGS 2:23-25

"And Elisha went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. And he went from thence to mount Carmel, and from thence he returned to Samaria."
SWOSWO

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#3198 Jan 13, 2013

&li st=PLE0C43960CD17F8F3

SWOSWO

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#3199 Jan 13, 2013
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3200 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
My morals are be based on the foundation of verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences.
Anyway, I can't help but notice your failure to answer my question (yet again).
IF your god ordered you to kill the child next door to you, would you obey?
Note my use of the word "if" as opposed to "when". I'm not saying that your monster god will order you to do it, I'm saying "if".
Your morals are still based on opinion. Who cares if they "are based on the foundation of verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences." If someone doesn't want to live on this kind of thing they are not doing anything wrong.
If God ordered someone to "kill the child next door to you" that person would first have to prove that God did indeed command this. So you have to ask how could they prove this? What would count as proof?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#3201 Jan 13, 2013
RHill wrote:
An interesting little article that impinges on some of our topics ...
" http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm... ;
That was a good read. So I opened up a thread for it, if anyone's interested.

" http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ;

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#3202 Jan 13, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Your morals are still based on opinion. Who cares if they "are based on the foundation of verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences." If someone doesn't want to live on this kind of thing they are not doing anything wrong.
If God ordered someone to "kill the child next door to you" that person would first have to prove that God did indeed command this. So you have to ask how could they prove this? What would count as proof?
With religion all morality is still "opinion".

People pick and choose which parts of their religion are applicable and which parts aren't. That's the only way Christians could possible justify not killing witches, not keeping slaves, accepting that women are not subservient to men, etc.

But you're asking the right question. It's okay for people to talk to god, but if he talks back, seek help! We all know this. What more evidence do you need to see that we all really know gods don't exist?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#3203 Jan 13, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
I base my argument on the definition I find. I also find myself to have partially adopted an Immanuel Kant approach on this subject,'There can be no knowledge without sensation, but sense data cannot alone provide knowledge either.'. I don't know if I should apologise for approaching this pretty much philosophical topic in a way you call philosophising. Before we continue, let's again try agree on the definition of empiricism, is it not a doctrine? Its not simply a 'not-something' here, so we can at least probably put an argument together..
Sooo, the first thing you find is where you hang your metaphorical hat? I don't think so. I would be more inclined to believe you have an entire host of 'resources' that back up your particular opinions.

Read my post again, Don Quixote. I do not care to read or discuss your speculations. I would say I'm more of a rationalist, make of that what you will.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3204 Jan 13, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
With religion all morality is still "opinion".
People pick and choose which parts of their religion are applicable and which parts aren't. That's the only way Christians could possible justify not killing witches, not keeping slaves, accepting that women are not subservient to men, etc.
But you're asking the right question. It's okay for people to talk to god, but if he talks back, seek help! We all know this. What more evidence do you need to see that we all really know gods don't exist?
Not necessarily true that with "religion all morality is still "opinion" if God has truly spoken as He has in the Bible. If God has spoken then morality is not just human opinion.
Not all things in the Bible are applicable to us today. The New Testament, which is the primary foundation for belief and practice never commands a person to kill witches, keep slaves or that women are to be subservient to men.
God may indeed speak to others but He would never command someone to murder. That would violate His commandments.
I agree gods do not exist but the true God does. If God does not exist then we live in a absurd and irrational universe.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#3205 Jan 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
May be a college near where you might take a course in World War II history.
In class, do tell them your theories ....
Why don't you google images of Hitler conferring with Priests or said Priests saluting der Fuhrer mit Seig Heil? You'll find them aplenty.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#3206 Jan 13, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT I THOUGHT YOUR GOD WAS ALL POWERFULL AND CARED FOR HIS CHILDREN??????????
FORK YHVH!!!!!!!!!! HE IS A MADE UP BS GOD...
Lol, I think you tweaked his nose;0) Let's see how he recovers from this, he judged you pretty harshly....good work!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#3207 Jan 13, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The historical reference is buybull history(meaning bible myth), and not Egyptian history.
For questions pertaining to evolution, I suggest you take those queries to the evolution forum, where those well versed in evolutions details can adequately answer them.
While I do believe that evolution is truth, I am neither well versed in it's details, nor do I wish to be. If it were a passion of mine, I might frequent the evolution threads, instead of the atheist threads.
Next your lies do you no credit. It is easily seen that I mentioned insects trapped in amber, but did not claim that all insect species had been so trapped. But whether they were or weren't, an insect is defined as having at least 6 legs.
Leviticus 11:20–23 says,“All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind.”
First of all, enjoy your posts.

Secondly, I wonder if Colon of Zionists knows that he's a virtual poster boy in favor of atheism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Siro is writing a new book 30 min Siro 4
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 36 min ChristineM 231,821
Reza Aslan: Sam Harris and "New Atheists" aren'... 2 hr P_Smith 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr thetruth 862
The Rapture of the Atheists (Nov '09) 2 hr thetruth 7,110
Studies show many Americans not reading the Bib... 3 hr thetruth 18
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' (May '14) 3 hr thetruth 101

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE