Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14715 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#2863 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry i don't 'kids' I have children. They would far out weigh you intellectually.
I guess you don't know many homeschooled then.
RIGHT OK...You teach your kids LIES from the buybull...So I beat them hands down...I know that most homeschooled kids end up insane nut jobs and they also most of them get sexually abused by there insane parents......My sister works for a mental health hospital and half the kids in there come from homeschooled families....

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#2864 Jan 11, 2013
sickofit wrote:
EVOLUTION IS TAUGHT AT EVERY(RECOGNIZED) COLLEGE AND SCHOOL IN THE WORLD.....THAT IS THE FACT AND TRUTH MORON.......
Teaching a myth or lie as fact does not make it fact it just makes it a well taught myth or lie.

I am still waiting for any if the 'tons and tons' of evidence you claim to have.

#2865 Jan 11, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly feel sorry for them. You can't even use the spell checker.
You should feel sorry for all the brainwashed children in school being taught the myth (lie) of evolution
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#2866 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok you have made a claim now post this 'rock solid proveable fact'
HOLY CRAP MORON....EVERY REPUTABLE COLLEGE WORLD WIDE AND EVERY HIGHSCHOOL WORLD WIDE TECAHES EVOLUTION...where have you been.........

No scientist or true educator teaches anything but evolution./////////

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2867 Jan 11, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes their are mutliple theories that try to account for the big bang, all of them strike me as scurilious and ridicoulously complex and far fetched post-hoc rationalizations.
Please be more careful about your analysis. The Big Bang theory is a description of what happened *after* the current expansion phase got started. That the universe is, in fact, expanding and that it has done so for the last 13.7 billion years is settled.

The question is all in what, if anything, happened before that. At this point, our ability to test any hypotheses is limited by our ability to make accelerators with enough energy to mimic the temperatures and densities at that time.

Nature is complex. merging quantum mechanics and general relativity won't be an easy thing. If it was, we would have already found the way to do it. But be careful about distinguishing the *assumptions* of a theory from the *conclusions* of that theory.

String theory does not *start* with the assumption that there are multiple universes. It *concludes* that from the assumptions. The assumptions boil down to saying that fundamental particles are described by equations similar to those for quantum strings. Not a completely unreasonable place to start.

General relativity does not *start* with the assumption that there was a Big Bang. it starts with some assumptions about the nature of gravity and the geometry of spacetime. It *concludes* that there was a Big Bang. merging that with known results of thermodynamics gives us the Hot Big Bang theory. The amazing thing is that these modest assumptions allow us to make detailed predictions that agree with observations. And *that* is how science works.
Fitz

Roseville, MI

#2868 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The anthropic principle died long ago. And the universe is still expanding and was one in a hot, dense state that is accurately described by the Big Bang (more accurately, the LCDM) model.
And how does a deity answer any of the questions? Make a prediction, by using your hypothesis of a deity, to estimate the density fluctuations in the cosmic background radiation. You can't. The Big Bang theory can. Use your hypothesis to predict the abundances of hydrogen, helium, and lithium in the universe. You can't. But the Big Bang theory can. use your hypothesis of a creator to predict the size of the effect of Compton scattering off of electrons in the hot gases around galactic clusters. You can't. The Big Bang theory can.
In essence, the hypothesis of a deity says 'something that we don't know about did something that we can't understand and the universe popped into existence'. How is that any better than saying 'the universe popped into existence'? You propose an alternative that makes no actual predictions, explains no details, and provides no insight at all into the problems. What good is it?
I dont deny the predictive power of the big bang model for the universe creation...indeed I embrace it.

You are not arguing against final and formal causes...rather you are sticking up for the usefullness of a methodology (the scientific method)- I dont refute the usefullness of that methodology, indeed I subscribe to it.

The problem is you are stuck within that methodology for both your questions and your answer. I on the other hand have both science and metaphysical knowledge as viable.

Its simply eedifying to know that your methodology cant prove the origins of the known universe with anymore evidence than what reason suggests is the lickly cause of a inteleigiable universe...

#2869 Jan 11, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
RIGHT OK...You teach your kids LIES from the buybull...So I beat them hands down...I know that most homeschooled kids end up insane nut jobs and they also most of them get sexually abused by there insane parents......My sister works for a mental health hospital and half the kids in there come from homeschooled families....
Each of the claims here are 100% incorrect. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a disgusting example of a brainwashed fool.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2870 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok you have made a claim now post this 'rock solid proveable fact'
We've already posted a number: ERVs, fossil record, nested hierarchies for proteins, morphology, etc. Evolution (the idea that species change over time) is the only theory that explains all we see.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#2871 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching a myth or lie as fact does not make it fact it just makes it a well taught myth or lie.
I am still waiting for any if the 'tons and tons' of evidence you claim to have.
Yes your buybull religion is myth..........I WONT POST ONE BIT OF PROOF FOR EVOLUTION UNTIL YOU PROVE YOUR GOD AND BUYBULL ARE TRUE.....come on just one small tiny bit of proof>?????????anything???? ??????

#2872 Jan 11, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes your buybull religion is myth..........I WONT POST ONE BIT OF PROOF
That is because there is none to post admit it.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#2873 Jan 11, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic is a deceptive trick done by an entertainer to fool an audience.
The world top physisits all are in agreement that the origins of the known universe, both time & space started at a precise date in our past and are grounded not in any laws of the physical universe but in a metaphysical (beyond physics) moment of creation.
Such metaphysical phenomena are popularly known as miracles.
Deal with it.
More BullCr@p!! time and space AS WE KNOW IT started at a specific time in the past and is firmly rooted in the laws of nature. We simply don't know what the universe was like prior to that time. And AGAIN, just because we don't yet know, does not mean that "God dunnit with magic".

#2874 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't know how do you know that it happened at all.
Because of the uniform cosmic background radiation emanating from the edges of the universe.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#2875 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
Each of the claims here are 100% incorrect. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a disgusting example of a brainwashed fool.
EVERY POSY YOU AMDE IS 100% LIES....The buybull is lies.....PROVE IT ISNT....PLEASE TRY TO PROVE YOUR HATE FILLED CULT RELIGION OF BIGOTRY AND VIOLENCE IS RIGHT......Come on.....this should be good..
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#2876 Jan 11, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
That is because there is none to post admit it.
YOU HAVE PROOF YOUR BUYBULL AND FLYING SPACE JEW ARE REAL??????????
Fitz

Roseville, MI

#2877 Jan 11, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
More BullCr@p!! time and space AS WE KNOW IT started at a specific time in the past and is firmly rooted in the laws of nature. We simply don't know what the universe was like prior to that time. And AGAIN, just because we don't yet know, does not mean that "God dunnit with magic".
No kid, not "as we know it" but as it is known. Their was no "universe" before the big bang. Time & space themselves are expanding...and not into a void, but simply expanding since that moment of creation.

An intelligent creator that designed an intelliable universe is not proven by these scientific fact, its simply just the most rational explanation posited to date.

All other explanantions also fail the test of being testable or based on emprirical eviedence.

But if you prefer the theological specualtions of Steven Hawkings or Carl Segan thats your peragative.

I simply am going were the evidence leads.

Since: Dec 12

Kolomotu'a

#2878 Jan 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
1: Stay away from those how to debate an atheist websites that you stole your arguments from.
2: Listen to actual atheists. Don't dictate and obfuscate what you want them to be.
3: Most importantly show us why we should accept your god as anything more than your imagination.
<quoted text>
Lol love you too. Maybe if you're not upsetting people while arguing, it might have been a little easier for reason to follow its natural course. But I think my arguments still hold against what I think your sect in atheism is.
1: I already told you I don't know this website, style me a liar all you like
2: I listened to quite a few here actually, and they all have their own definitions of atheism.
3. I don't think I've argue for any god. You might have imagined that...lol

#2879 Jan 11, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
No kid, not "as we know it" but as it is known. Their was no "universe" before the big bang. Time & space themselves are expanding...and not into a void, but simply expanding since that moment of creation.
An intelligent creator that designed an intelliable universe is not proven by these scientific fact, its simply just the most rational explanation posited to date.
All other explanantions also fail the test of being testable or based on emprirical eviedence.
But if you prefer the theological specualtions of Steven Hawkings or Carl Segan thats your peragative.
I simply am going were the evidence leads.
Then you should be able to prove there was no universe in any form prior to the big bang ..... I'll wait .....

Dumbazz!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#2880 Jan 11, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol love you too. Maybe if you're not upsetting people while arguing, it might have been a little easier for reason to follow its natural course. But I think my arguments still hold against what I think your sect in atheism is.
1: I already told you I don't know this website, style me a liar all you like
2: I listened to quite a few here actually, and they all have their own definitions of atheism.
3. I don't think I've argue for any god. You might have imagined that...lol
Actually you have engaged in conversation very well and have not resorted to the usual creationism banter we see.

However, you would be a very, very tiny minority of posters in any of the Atheism Forum threads, so forgive some of us if we keep expecting you to go vertical at any moment and start ranting.

That is the common history here.

Even though I have really enjoyed typing to you, I too keep expecting the worst, and I'm sorry for that.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#2881 Jan 11, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol love you too.......lol
FYI --

HUMANISM AND ITS ASPIRATIONS

Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

The lifestance of Humanism—guided by reason, inspired by compassion, and informed by experience—encourages us to live life well and fully. It evolved through the ages and continues to develop through the efforts of thoughtful people who recognize that values and ideals, however carefully wrought, are subject to change as our knowledge and understandings advance.

As Humanist we affirm the following:

Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and rational analysis. Humanists find that science is the best method for determining this knowledge as well as for solving problems and developing beneficial technologies. We also recognize the value of new departures in thought, the arts, and inner experience—each subject to analysis by critical intelligence.

Humans are an integral part of nature. We accept our life as all and enough, distinguishing things as they are from things as we might wish or imagine them to be. We welcome the challenges of the future, and are drawn to and undaunted by the yet to be known.

Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. Humanists ground values in human welfare shaped by human circumstances, interests, and concerns and extended to the global ecosystem and beyond. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.

Life's fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence. The joining of individuality with interdependence enriches our lives, encourages us to enrich the lives of others, and inspires hope of attaining peace, justice, and opportunity for all.

Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness. Progressive cultures have worked to free humanity from the brutalities of mere survival and to reduce suffering, improve society, and develop global community. We seek to minimize the inequities of circumstance and ability, and we support a just distribution of nature's resources and the fruits of human effort so that as many as possible can enjoy a good life.

Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to diversity, and respect those of differing yet humane views. We work to uphold the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process and a planetary duty to protect nature's integrity, diversity, and beauty in a secure, sustainable manner.

Thus engaged in the flow of life, we aspire to this vision with the informed conviction that humanity has the ability to progress toward its highest ideals. The responsibility for our lives and the kind of world in which we live is ours and ours alone.

#2882 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We've already posted a number: ERVs, fossil record, nested hierarchies for proteins, morphology, etc. Evolution (the idea that species change over time) is the only theory that explains all we see.
And none are 100% irrefutable evidence for the myth (lie) of evolution. For a point if correction, creation is the only thing that explains all we can see and all we cannot see

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 10 min Mr_SKY 12,972
Proof of God for the Atheist 12 min Eagle 12 134
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 27 min Eagle 12 93
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr -Stray Dog 247,812
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 2,369
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 2 hr Eagle 12 40
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 47,920
More from around the web