Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,477

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

United States

#2452 Jan 8, 2013
You indeed are very knowledgable on the subject of the Torah. May I humbly say I am impressed fellow poster.:)
startracker2012 wrote:
<quoted text>But Moses practiced magic in front of the Pharaoh to prove his God was more powerful than the Phaoaoh's God through his magician. Explain again how the God of the Torah thinks its evil.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#2453 Jan 8, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence I am still waiting to see it, I mean real evidence not hypothesis, speculation or made up rubbish. Real evidence the will conclusively prove evolution.
Easy, go to your nearest museum and hold a fossil in your hand. Asked, answered in a gazillion ways and you probably still lack the comprehension to grasp a simple subject.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#2454 Jan 8, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You're welcome to your own belief, why look to disprove others, what is there to gain?
Truth and knowledge for starters.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#2455 Jan 8, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
My list was a list of those who were home schooled you choose to include university and college education in that which is not included under the home schooled banner now or yesterday. You claimed that no scientist or mathematician were home schooled I posted a very long list that proved you wrong.
LMAO! Yes, wasn't Alexander The Great at the top of your list? Did he get expelled from Macedonia Elementary and have to be home schooled???

<snicker>

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#2456 Jan 8, 2013
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
What do I fail to understand, what a fact is or what faith is?
Both.

United States

#2457 Jan 8, 2013
Why should anyone accept god as anything new than the product of someone's imagination?
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
And no god can not be proven too, you might have forgotten to mention that too

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#2458 Jan 8, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy, go to your nearest museum and hold a fossil in your hand. Asked, answered in a gazillion ways and you probably still lack the comprehension to grasp a simple subject.
Holding s fossil in my hand will prove one thing, and that is that some created thing died

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#2459 Jan 8, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Both.
Both were perfectly covered. Perhaps you did not understand, were the words I used too big for you?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#2460 Jan 8, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't atheism a doctrine that believes in no god? Perhaps a lack of belief in a god, but still a belief in no god. Lol once you get the whole electric signal thing you might understand the limits of reality as far as the senses can go.
It's good you believe in facts, as I do, yes a rainbow is beautiful. It may be as you say a refraction of light in droplets in the sky, that's fine. But to go from that to use it in your doctrines as proof of no god I think requires an element of faith.
No, again, atheism is a lack of belief. Do I need a doctrine to lack belief in Thor? I did watch the movie, but I never thought of it as anything but a work of fiction. However, back in the day people DID believe in Thor. I hope I don't need a doctrine for old Thor, because I just don't have one. Your god is not different.

Please read my post again, I do believe I said something to the effect of, "either way" a rainbow is still as beutiful. It doesn't matter whether there is an abstract belief and/or a scientific explanation, I just enjoy looking at a rainbow.

You're the one with the belief, not I.

BTW, would you give it another go with the brain signal thingy? Don't mean to be dense....but I still don't understand what you mean by it. Sure, I understand brain waves signaling the body, forming thoughts regarding the stimuli of any given situation, but what does it have to do with religion?

My husband has a brain tumor, I can see the effects and his doctors explain how the breakdown in brain signals is occuring. I also understand the reasoning behind his cognitive impairment.

I would like to know in what context you are referring to synapses connecting the neurons thereby allowing electrical or chemical signals to pass. Please elucidate.

Since: Dec 12

Kolomotu'a

#2461 Jan 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
In my humble opinion, atheism occupies the physical realm. That which can be seen, touched, smelled, heard or tasted is verifiably real. Belief, with or without organized religion occupies the so called sixth sense's realm.
Evolution is a scientific posit (with proof, I can hold a fossil in my hand) which really has nothing to do with any belief or philosophy of any kind. It does happen to upset some preconceived religious notions, but it makes no attempt to prove or disprove a god.
Since there is no atheistic doctrine that I know of, Evolution cannot be a part of it. There are many atheists and many different opinions. Since we do not gather there is no central core, atheists simply lack belief in a deity. Other than that, any other shared viewpoints are coincidental.
You're most welcome to express your opinions, I hope mine is equally welcome. I guess one doctrine all Atheists hold true is their belief in no god. God as far as I know other religions say, resides in the realm beyond the physical, beyond the empirical and thus beyond where Science dares venture without being ridiculed by the scientific community. This abstract realm, one may say there resides a god, another may say there resides no god. So perhaps where atheism becomes a doctrine and not a definite, is that the individual goes to gods realm and proclaims there is none. Wouldn't you say that requires a little faith in ones own belief?
I agree with your views on Evolution.

Kolomotu'a

#2462 Jan 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
No, again, atheism is a lack of belief. Do I need a doctrine to lack belief in Thor? I did watch the movie, but I never thought of it as anything but a work of fiction. However, back in the day people DID believe in Thor. I hope I don't need a doctrine for old Thor, because I just don't have one. Your god is not different.
Please read my post again, I do believe I said something to the effect of, "either way" a rainbow is still as beutiful. It doesn't matter whether there is an abstract belief and/or a scientific explanation, I just enjoy looking at a rainbow.
You're the one with the belief, not I.
BTW, would you give it another go with the brain signal thingy? Don't mean to be dense....but I still don't understand what you mean by it. Sure, I understand brain waves signaling the body, forming thoughts regarding the stimuli of any given situation, but what does it have to do with religion?
My husband has a brain tumor, I can see the effects and his doctors explain how the breakdown in brain signals is occuring. I also understand the reasoning behind his cognitive impairment.
I would like to know in what context you are referring to synapses connecting the neurons thereby allowing electrical or chemical signals to pass. Please elucidate.
Lol you may disprove Thor, but you may need a bit more than disproving a religion to prove there is no god. Have a read of my latest post before I expand on the brain signals things. I'm sorry to hear about your husband.. You may look up the definition of atheism, it's a doctrine, if I'm reading it right.

Kolomotu'a

#2463 Jan 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why should anyone accept god as anything new than the product of someone's imagination?
<quoted text>
You may say that, but to say there is no god could be just as imaginative, maybe? No?lol

United States

#2464 Jan 9, 2013
Again atheism is not believing in deities. That's it. As far as your realm statement goes, thy makes no sense whatsoever because we're this true no society in present or past time could ever come up with the notion of him/them. Yet ancient men cobbled together stories of god/s so either he is in our observable realm or they made it all up.

Which is more likely?

So again why should anyone accept god as anything more than a product of someone's imagination?
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
You're most welcome to express your opinions, I hope mine is equally welcome. I guess one doctrine all Atheists hold true is their belief in no god. God as far as I know other religions say, resides in the realm beyond the physical, beyond the empirical and thus beyond where Science dares venture without being ridiculed by the scientific.

United States

#2465 Jan 9, 2013
There is no reason to disprove what is unproven.
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol you may disprove Thor, but you may need a bit more than disproving a religion to prove there is no god. Have a read of my latest post before I expand on the brain signals things. I'm sorry to hear about your husband.. You may look up the definition of atheism, it's a doctrine, if I'm reading it right.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#2466 Jan 9, 2013
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
When has anyone ever disproved Thor?
I have seen plenty of proof for Thor.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#2467 Jan 9, 2013
No, but I expect better than you produce.
Colin The Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
What have you forgotten how to read again.

Kolomotu'a

#2468 Jan 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again atheism is not believing in deities. That's it. As far as your realm statement goes, thy makes no sense whatsoever because we're this true no society in present or past time could ever come up with the notion of him/them. Yet ancient men cobbled together stories of god/s so either he is in our observable realm or they made it all up.
Which is more likely?
So again why should anyone accept god as anything more than a product of someone's imagination?
<quoted text>
Lol.. Not believing in deities = believing in no deities. Makes no sense you say, then maybe when it does make sense you might realise in the metaphysical world it is as senselessly abstract as a realm beyond what's empirical, ones guess is just as good as another's.
Are you so absolutely sure there is no god? If ignoring other possibilities may be called faith. Though a zealous atheist may not like using such words as belief or faith, I think you still require faith to believe there is no god, in whatever realm there is. Last time I checked I heard science wasn't a religion, is atheism science's religion? Is atheism science? Atheism = science? I'm sorry I don't think so.
I don't think we should ignore science, I just am of opinion that maybe Atheism isn't so different from every other religion. As I mentioned earlier some Christians don't believe themselves religious, but faith to a supreme being beyond. An atheist, by doubting everything, refuses to believe anything beyond the empirical. Both would really hate being grouped in something called religion.
Maybe my opinion might change.
I'm sorry if I've upset your belief, disbelief or whatever it is. If your belief in no deities, is unwavering, unquestionable, then that sounds a little like faith to me.

Kolomotu'a

#2469 Jan 9, 2013
Anyways, it's been an interesting exchange of ideas with everyone. Hope you all be safe and take care. Goodnight from my part of the world.

United States

#2470 Jan 9, 2013
I see you are obfuscating desperately trying to frame atheism as a religion. We have only seen this 500 times a month from the unreasonable such as yourself. So again.

Atheism no matter how much you stomp your feet and build your strawman fallacy, is simply not believing in deities. All your other nonsense is discarded as strawman fallacy and rightfully ignored as such.

Again since god/s are unproven we have no reason to disprove them. Is it sinking in yet?

Now onto your unknowable realms argument, Yiu ignored when when I asked this because it wasn't covered in your how to debate an atheist website. So again where do we even get the notion of god/s? Where did the idea originate? Were your magical unseeable realm anything more than fanciful speculation how did the ancient people who gave us the concept of gods discover said realm? Either they had observable abilities beyond ours or they made it all up. Which do you think is more likely?

So yet again why should anyone accept god as anything more than the product of someone's imagination?
inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.. Not believing in deities = believing in no deities. Makes no sense you say, then maybe when it does make sense you might realise in the metaphysical world it is as senselessly abstract as a realm beyond what's empirical, ones guess is just as good as another's.
Are you so absolutely sure there is no god? If ignoring other possibilities may be called faith. Though a zealous atheist may not like using such words as belief or faith, I think you still require faith to believe there is no god, in whatever realm there is.
I don't think we should ignore science, I just am of opinion that maybe Atheism isn't so different from every other religion. An atheist, by doubting everything, refuses to believe anything beyond the empirical. Both would really hate being grouped in something called religion. If your belief in no deities, is unwavering, unquestionable, then that sounds a little like faith to me.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2471 Jan 9, 2013
inv e wrote:
Isn't atheism a religion too? A faith in no god. Doctrines that there is no god or supreme beings outside electric signals interpreted by the brain. Limited to each persons reality their senses show them, refusing possibilities of anything more..that kind of sounds like faith to me..
We can use science as a ruler to measure what is valid or plausible but it's a ruler you cant take past what senses can't sense, so a leap of faith is needed, god or no god? What do you believe in?
No.

An atheist doesn't say "There is no god", an atheist says "I'm am not the one who claims there is".

Theist: in possession of a positive claim.
A-theist: not ^ that guy, no claim, either for or against!
Non-believer: one who doesn't believe that Kali and Ganesh, are truly gods.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 41 min woodtick57 2,632
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 46 min Morse 180
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 50 min Morse 233,227
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 53 min Morse 5,963
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 10 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 12 hr _Bad Company 214
More from around the web