Britannia

North York, Canada

#1 Dec 11, 2012
Consolidated UK Census Results 2011 just in.

Only 29,267 people specifically described themselves as atheist, a little more than 6,242 who put "heavy metal" down as their faith. Around 25% of the people said that they did not associate themselves with any particular religion, but they did believe in God.

Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the nation. The Muslims now form 5% of the population.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#2 Dec 11, 2012
BS.

There is nowhere on the Census that says whether you believe in god or not. If you specifically described yourself as Atheist, you've really filled the form in wrong.

In 2001, I put myself down as Jedi along with around 300,000 others.

In 2011 I put myself down as no religious affiliation because there is a real momentum building here. There was an 83% increase of people who reported no religious affiliation in 2011 from 2001.
Britannia wrote:
Consolidated UK Census Results 2011 just in.
Only 29,267 people specifically described themselves as atheist, a little more than 6,242 who put "heavy metal" down as their faith. Around 25% of the people said that they did not associate themselves with any particular religion, but they did believe in God.
Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the nation. The Muslims now form 5% of the population.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3 Dec 11, 2012
Thinking

Andover, UK

#4 Dec 11, 2012
1st link didn't work but 2nd link was very enlightening.
Clearly far more than 25% of people are not religious in England and Wales because no bugger goes to church anymore.
EdSed wrote:
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/ 12/11/news/non-religious-up-by -83/
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/census-2011/
Religion = superstition
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5 Dec 11, 2012
Thinking wrote:
1st link didn't work but 2nd link was very enlightening.
Clearly far more than 25% of people are not religious in England and Wales because no bugger goes to church anymore.
<quoted text>
Sorry, T, both links work when I click on them. Try again...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/12/11/news/non-...
or google "Non-religious up by 83% uk" and Atheism UK should be top of the search.

Of course atheism doesn't increase. It is more accurate to say that religion is retreating in the face of education and science. Religion is the last bastion of superstition. Eventually humanity will have left witchcraft and religions behind.

That's what I call progress!:-)
Thinking

Andover, UK

#6 Dec 11, 2012
In retrospect, I was getting a database error. So your link was and is good, but the page was down at the time and I mistakenly thought the url was incomplete.

I really don't mind people believing, it's the big business religions that cause the harm and damage the developing brains of children.

Yes, good news. Just need more people to leave islam behind as well...
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, T, both links work when I click on them. Try again...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/12/11/news/non-...
or google "Non-religious up by 83% uk" and Atheism UK should be top of the search.
Of course atheism doesn't increase. It is more accurate to say that religion is retreating in the face of education and science. Religion is the last bastion of superstition. Eventually humanity will have left witchcraft and religions behind.
That's what I call progress!:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min Eagle 12 227,363
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 26 min Eman 22,000
Stump a theist with 2 questions 4 hr CunningLinguist 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 6 hr sriKim 120
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Jaimie 68
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 7 hr Patrick 178
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 13 hr Patrick 4,085
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••