Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 15, 2012
medox

Meknčs, Morocco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 14, 2012
 
I wanna know why people find it so hard to believe that there's a god (or whatever u wanna call it) that created this universe?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

Lack of any evidence for such a being? I find it to have even less evidence than the existence of elves, which I also do not believe in.
medox

Meknčs, Morocco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 14, 2012
 
Then who created the universe o at least how it was created?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

medox wrote:
Then who
There is no reason to assume a "who" is necessary. That doesn't mean it's ruled out, there's just no reason to rule it in.

Plus that assumption runs you into the infinite regression fallacy, that if (a) God is required to cause the universe then following the rules of that logic there must have been a cause for (a) God. At which point all of a sudden the rules become inconvenient and then someone wants to invoke a causeless cause.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

medox wrote:
Then who created the universe o at least how it was created?
Why do you assume it was 'created' as opposed to simply came into existence? Why do you think there has to be a consciousness behind that process?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

medox wrote:
I wanna know why people find it so hard to believe that there's a god (or whatever u wanna call it) that created this universe?
It's not so much that people find it hard to believe. Anyone who wants to believe something will find a way to do it and to justify that belief. But for many, that would reverse the rational process of the discovery of truth, which begins by eliminating as many assumptions as possible and replacing them with knowledge based on evidence and logic.

Suspension of disbelief is easy. Most of us do it every time that we read or watch a work of fiction. If we can easily believe things that we know are not true, albeit temporarily, we can also choose to believe ideas that evidence suggests are uncertain or even unlikely, and most people do exactly that in their personal lives. Some, though, try to evaluate those subjective areas with the same objectivity that they apply to their professional and intellectual endeavors. These are the skeptics of the world.

Not all skeptics focus on science, though, even if most of us accept that the scientists have had better success in discovering the nature of reality than anyone else. Although atheists generally can be counted on to defend scientific conclusions about the origin of life and the universe, I don't think that has much to do with why most of us became atheists in the first place. It has more to do with rejecting faith as a way of knowing in favor of more rational approaches, of refusing to allow our emotions to override our intellects.

Powerful emotions can enrich our lives and inspire us to do great things, but they can also blind us to truth or bind us to concepts that border on delusion and induce compulsions that we do not understand, sometimes even leading us to do great harm. Finding the balance between emotion and intellect is difficult, but is also essential for living fully adult lives.

Belief in God is often based on such emotions and on allowing them to drive the intellect away from the object search for truth. In our society, such belief is the easy path. Objectivity and skepticism are much harder ones, which is why fewer people pursue them.
Mr Smartypants

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

medox wrote:
I wanna know why people find it so hard to believe that there's a god (or whatever u wanna call it) that created this universe?
Umm, because of the absolute lack of any tangible, empirical evidence for his existence? Y'know, like a Schlieren photograph of God's aura or a well-preserved angel turd?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 15, 2012
 
Medox asked about belief in a god(s), but the bigger problem might be religion. Even if there were an all-powerful god, why would the entity be a "he" who wished to be worshipped? And why would he try to communicate to us through prophets, as is suggested by people who see the various "good books" as being "holy".
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/holy

Religion perverts everything. Nothing should be sacred and one should only believe anything as far as the belief can be justified by reason and evidence.

Relgious acts of faith lead to there behaviors...
Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day,(not to mention the fasting)
The RC Church has recently suggested that..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9529...
there be public prayers in offices on Fridays at 3pm.
And what about people bowing to walls and Mecca?
Belief in an Abrahamic god is clearly delusional.

Religion is divisive too. Is "God/Allah" a complete idiot?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reason to assume a "who" is necessary. That doesn't mean it's ruled out, there's just no reason to rule it in.
Plus that assumption runs you into the infinite regression fallacy, that if (a) God is required to cause the universe then following the rules of that logic there must have been a cause for (a) God. At which point all of a sudden the rules become inconvenient and then someone wants to invoke a causeless cause.
You need evidence to claim a who to begin with.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You need evidence to claim a who to begin with.
Yes, very clever Skippy. Maybe one day you'll catch up.

Speaking of which, still waiting for that apology.
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

medox wrote:
I wanna know why people find it so hard to believe that there's a god (or whatever u wanna call it) that created this universe?
Science. "god did it" has been a catchall explanation for all natural phenomena that humans cannot understand. Lightning, floods, earthquakes, drought etc. were all once mysterious things. Not knowing the cause, we ascribed them to "god". Time after time, we have learned the true cause of these things. In no case was magic or an invisible man in the sky found to be the cause. How many times does the cycle have to repeat before you grasp the recurring pattern?
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

medox wrote:
Then who created the universe o at least how it was created?
You are assuming that it was created. There's no proof for that assumption. The current universe we inhabit may be one of an infinite number of cyclical events.

Of course, if you assume a creator, you have set out for yourself the very same problem you pose for atheists. Who created your 'god'? Just as a carpenter is a more complex being than the house he builds, and the cobbler more complicated than the shoe he crafts, a being capable of designing and creating the universe would necessarily be more complex than the universe itself. How, then, can you simply posit the spontaneous popping into being of such an impossibly complex being? If you say the universe is to complex to have come into being without a creator, you are, by the same logic, ruling out the appearance of such a creator.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••