Richard Dawkins tweets on abortion: ‘any fetus is less human than an adult pig’

Mar 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: freerepublic.com

It would seem the pro-life movement has acquired an unlikely supporter. On Wednesday, Richard Dawkins, a vocal proponent of atheism and the author of The God Delusion, posted a provocative tweet about abortion: With respect to those meanings of "human" that are relevant to the morality of abortion, any fetus is less human than an adult pig.

Comments
541 - 560 of 1,829 Comments Last updated Jun 14, 2013
Lincoln

United States

#551 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't "want people to kill according to what" I find acceptable.
You're projecting, trying to take the spotlight off of your own tendency to want to control what others do.
Or is it that atheist do not want theists on "Their" threads LOL
Imagine these atheists in power in the United States.
Atheists love their own views but intolerant of other views.
Atheists seem filled with Hate.
The have lost America and seem bitter

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#552 May 6, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Or is it that atheist do not want theists on "Their" threads LOL
Imagine these atheists in power in the United States.
Atheists love their own views but intolerant of other views.
Atheists seem filled with Hate.
The have lost America and seem bitter
I wouldn't know what Atheists want. I'm not one of them.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#553 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't "want people to kill according to what" I find acceptable.
You're projecting, trying to take the spotlight off of your own tendency to want to control what others do.
Everyone except anarchist want to control what other people do. I am assuming your not an anarchist so yes you do believe in controlling and regulating other peoples behavior.
Lincoln

United States

#554 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know what Atheists want. I'm not one of them.
I am not either... sometimes agnostic at times with some doubt.

You may find abuse at the hands of the intolerant atheists, from time to time, but others seem reasonable.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#555 May 6, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not either... sometimes agnostic at times with some doubt.
You may find abuse at the hands of the intolerant atheists, from time to time, but others seem reasonable.
I'm a theist. And I do know one fundie Atheist. It's kind of amusing actually, that she doesn't see she's just as dogmatic as the fundies she argues with. Extremists of any kind are annoying.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#556 May 6, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone except anarchist want to control what other people do. I am assuming your not an anarchist so yes you do believe in controlling and regulating other peoples behavior.
You're still deflecting. And fooling no one. Where is this "non-religious" argument against abortion you say you have?
Mike

Belleville, IL

#557 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still deflecting. And fooling no one. Where is this "non-religious" argument against abortion you say you have?
Your the one deflecting. You believe in regulating other peoples behavior and you just won't admit it for some reason. I've already given the argument and nowhere in it did I say "Because the Bible says so."

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#558 May 6, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the one deflecting. You believe in regulating other peoples behavior and you just won't admit it for some reason. I've already given the argument and nowhere in it did I say "Because the Bible says so."
I never mentioned the bible. I said that there is no such thing as a non-religious argument against abortion. You have yet to prove me wrong.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#559 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know what Atheists want. I'm not one of them.
This is one of the most intelligent posts I've ever seen from a believer.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#560 May 6, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
I am against the death penalty. I also never said that killing homo sapiens is always wrong. I said it is prima facie wrong. You have made my point for me by saying "what about killing an 'innocent' human. Unborn homo sapiens are innocent humans, they are certainly not cows or chickens. Late term unborn children are tortured to death as well. Your probably going to proceed to say that a fetus is not human. Your argument will be totally arbitrary. Pro-right to kill and or torture innocent homo sapiens (pro-abortion rights people). Like to make up their own criteria as to what makes someone human. My criteria is based in the science of biology. Your criteria is made up and arbitrary based on your own bias. Killing whether in self defense or in a situation to help someone else is only justified unless absolutely necessary. In 99% of cases abortion is never absolutely necessary.
No, I said killing to protect an innocent human. Now I'm glad you centered on that, perfectly awesome actually.

To be innocent on must be faced with choices and be capable of making those choices. A fetus is incapable of thought and choice, therefore it can neither be guilty, nor innocent. Thus, a fetus does not count as an innocent anything.

As for "absolutely necessary," 99% of abortions happen naturally, without medical intervention.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#561 May 6, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Or is it that atheist do not want theists on "Their" threads LOL
Imagine these atheists in power in the United States.
Atheists love their own views but intolerant of other views.
Atheists seem filled with Hate.
The have lost America and seem bitter
The problem isn't that believers write here. It' that most of them come only to promote their beliefs, never to have real conversations, much less to learn about atheism from people who actually know about it first-hand. This forum isn't about Christianity, fundamentalist or otherwise. It's not about Islam or Judaism. It isn't even about what's wrong with them or their believers, but those topics are inevitable when believers come here to attack atheism with the same tired and ignorant rants over and over and over again.

Most of the regular atheist contributors would like to explore a variety of topics free of what we see as religious delusion, but the need to fend off attacks on every post makes that impossible. I don't really wish believers would leave the forum, only that they would let go of the need to debate every trivial detail of every post. I wish that each one would go back and reread their posts in the context of the surrounding conversations and ask, "Are my posts helping to advance the exploration of the topics at hand or are they serving as distractions and diversions? Could I change the way that I post to improve the tone and tenor of the threads where I write?" Unfortunately, that level of thoughtful introspection is simply too much to expect from any of the believers who post here regularly.

So what does that leave us with? Conversations that read like transcripts from the Jerry Springer show. That may be entertaining for some. For me, it's just a shallow display of thoughtless squabbling.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#562 May 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I said killing to protect an innocent human. Now I'm glad you centered on that, perfectly awesome actually.
To be innocent on must be faced with choices and be capable of making those choices. A fetus is incapable of thought and choice, therefore it can neither be guilty, nor innocent. Thus, a fetus does not count as an innocent anything.
As for "absolutely necessary," 99% of abortions happen naturally, without medical intervention.


Here is the definition of innocent by the free online dictionary.

inĚnoĚcent (n-snt)
adj.
1. Uncorrupted by evil, malice, or wrongdoing; sinless: an innocent child.
2.
a. Not guilty of a specific crime or offense; legally blameless: was innocent of all charges.
b. Within, allowed by, or sanctioned by the law; lawful.
3.
a. Not dangerous or harmful; innocuous: an innocent prank.
b. Candid; straightforward: a child's innocent stare.
4.
a. Not experienced or worldly; naive.
b. Betraying or suggesting no deception or guile; artless.
5.
a. Not exposed to or familiar with something specified; ignorant: American tourists wholly innocent of French.
b. Unaware: She remained innocent of the complications she had caused.
6. Lacking, deprived, or devoid of something: a novel innocent of literary merit.

So you are clearly wrong.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#563 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I never mentioned the bible. I said that there is no such thing as a non-religious argument against abortion. You have yet to prove me wrong.
The Bible says though shalt not steal. Are you saying their is no such thing as a non-religious argument against stealing.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#564 May 6, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the definition of innocent by the free online dictionary.
inĚnoĚcent (n-snt)
adj.
1. Uncorrupted by evil, malice, or wrongdoing; sinless: an innocent child.
2.
a. Not guilty of a specific crime or offense; legally blameless: was innocent of all charges.
b. Within, allowed by, or sanctioned by the law; lawful.
3.
a. Not dangerous or harmful; innocuous: an innocent prank.
b. Candid; straightforward: a child's innocent stare.
4.
a. Not experienced or worldly; naive.
b. Betraying or suggesting no deception or guile; artless.
5.
a. Not exposed to or familiar with something specified; ignorant: American tourists wholly innocent of French.
b. Unaware: She remained innocent of the complications she had caused.
6. Lacking, deprived, or devoid of something: a novel innocent of literary merit.
So you are clearly wrong.
No, you are simply not comprehending. Is an animal that kills a human innocent of murder?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#565 May 6, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says though shalt not steal. Are you saying their is no such thing as a non-religious argument against stealing.
No, because I'm not talking about every subject under the sun. I'm talking about abortion only. Again, you deflect. I'll take that as tacit admittance that you know your argument against abortion is religious at its core, which was my point.
Mike

Edwardsville, IL

#566 May 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are simply not comprehending. Is an animal that kills a human innocent of murder?
Your the one not comprehending the definition of innocent. A fetus is innocent.

I'll post the definition again.
inĚnoĚcent (n-snt)
adj.
1. Uncorrupted by evil, malice, or wrongdoing; sinless: an innocent child.
2.
a. Not guilty of a specific crime or offense; legally blameless: was innocent of all charges.
b. Within, allowed by, or sanctioned by the law; lawful.
3.
a. Not dangerous or harmful; innocuous: an innocent prank.
b. Candid; straightforward: a child's innocent stare.
4.
a. Not experienced or worldly; naive.
b. Betraying or suggesting no deception or guile; artless.
5.
a. Not exposed to or familiar with something specified; ignorant: American tourists wholly innocent of French.
b. Unaware: She remained innocent of the complications she had caused.
6. Lacking, deprived, or devoid of something: a novel innocent of literary merit.
So you are clearly wrong.

There is no need for me to answer any of your questions after this. The definition in the dictionary has settled it. Given this definition a fetus clearly qualifies as innocent. You are the one not comprehending the definition.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#567 May 6, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
... Where is this "non-religious" argument against abortion you say you have?
If religionists think they see a connection, let them discuss it with theology and other such gumph on a religious forum.
http://womensissues.about.com/od/reproductive...
It is an ethical and moral issue and nothing to do with religion at all.(Unfortunately, Topix has no humanist or ethical forums).
Lincoln

United States

#568 May 6, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem isn't that believers write here. It' that most of them come only to promote their beliefs, never to have real conversations, much less to learn about atheism from people who actually know about it first-hand. This forum isn't about Christianity, fundamentalist or otherwise. It's not about Islam or Judaism. It isn't even about what's wrong with them or their believers, but those topics are inevitable when believers come here to attack atheism with the same tired and ignorant rants over and over and over again.
Most of the regular atheist contributors would like to explore a variety of topics free of what we see as religious delusion, but the need to fend off attacks on every post makes that impossible. I don't really wish believers would leave the forum, only that they would let go of the need to debate every trivial detail of every post. I wish that each one would go back and reread their posts in the context of the surrounding conversations and ask, "Are my posts helping to advance the exploration of the topics at hand or are they serving as distractions and diversions? Could I change the way that I post to improve the tone and tenor of the threads where I write?" Unfortunately, that level of thoughtful introspection is simply too much to expect from any of the believers who post here regularly.
So what does that leave us with? Conversations that read like transcripts from the Jerry Springer show. That may be entertaining for some. For me, it's just a shallow display of thoughtless squabbling.
I guess after reading Bob the Quantum_Bot [Jerry Springer show] posts attacking and making fun of belief thought it might be interesting to see how atheists react to the same.

You may be looking for a university class in philosophy
and metaphysics
and mistake Topix threads for this?

Topix has freedom of speech.

Some of the posters do remind one of "birthers" as was mentioned by another poster.

Read the condescending posts on the atheist threads and see if they make any sense to you?

Proof of God has mystified philosophers for ages, morons making fun of God are a bit of fun to answer.

I am undecided in belief. Reading the atheist threads has turned me against at least some of these atheists.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#569 May 6, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
..Proof of God has mystified philosophers for ages, morons making fun of God are a bit of fun to answer....
Which god? And arguably those philosophers were pre-17th century in England. After then, it was surely religious 'philosophers' who took man-made religions and their prophets seriously who were being the 'morons'.

Nothing moronic about making fun of god(s). They're useful for little else. It undermines silly superstitions in gods, witches and ghosts. The less superstitious the world the better.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#570 May 6, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
....I am undecided in belief. Reading the atheist threads has turned me against at least some of these atheists.
It might be what I call the 'Topix effect'. Bob has just been explaining to me how he used to be more polite and patient but found it unrewarding here and now enjoys a more sarcastic and unrestrained style. It's easy to lower the tone. Raising it is more difficult (especially with contributors from the UK present :)

Have you ever tried attending your local non-believers - humanists, skeptics, rationalists, secularists or freethinking groups? You might find a nicer crowd face-to-face than on Topix?

Did you note the existence of groups like this...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/18/1202...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Believer 226,296
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 min Mikko 45
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 25 min Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 34 min Patrick 172
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 38 min Patrick 21,501
Our world came from nothing? 43 min Patrick 418
100% Faith Free 4 hr Thinking 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••