The atheist's dilemma

How likely is it that the world's 1.3 billion Muslims will wake up one morning and abandon their ancestral faith? Even if you are a ferocious Sam Harris-style atheist who thinks religion is completely stupid -- ... Full Story
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Michael

Dothan, AL

#1 Nov 27, 2007
I see no "dilemma." Not sure what copy editor was thinking. Maybe paradox---though that's not wholly accurate, either.
Tom

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 27, 2007
It's the obvious dilemma that you can't persuade someone by telling them they're either a shyster or a fool, even if you're right.
Jackson

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 27, 2007
Just a couple of questions. What hospitals have atheists built? What schools have they started to educate youngsters? Where is Atheist University? Maybe I've missed it, but perhaps someone can illuminate me as to what atheists have done to improve society.
Jeff

Atlanta, GA

#4 Nov 27, 2007
To the author of this letter...

What?

“Jesus is coming ”

Since: Oct 07

Colorado springs

#6 Nov 27, 2007
It also sounds like he is trying to start a religios movement and he dont believe in them.
JUst more rules and regulations from mans religion. Believe in Jesus and be free.
Chris

Chicago, IL

#8 Nov 27, 2007
Moral of the story: If the article is horrible, use an attention grabbing headline.

Since: Sep 07

District Heights, MD

#9 Nov 27, 2007
Tom wrote:
It's the obvious dilemma that you can't persuade someone by telling them they're either a shyster or a fool, even if you're right.
Unfortunately, that is the truth. I converted a lot of people in my life to Atheism by pointing out the flaws in their religion and pointing out the lies in their religion.

At least with Atheism, you don't have to kowtow to a 'God' who seems to be too lazy to do anything to stop true evil on this planet, if he even exists, or is evil himself and is allowing evil to flourish on this planet (if anything besides the "Killing, stealing with choice, and forcing into sexual situations with force or threats of that" is really evil).

“Jesus is coming ”

Since: Oct 07

Colorado springs

#10 Nov 27, 2007
Athiest seem to be control freaks we should have a pole on that.
pat

Lake Zurich, IL

#11 Nov 27, 2007
pat

Lake Zurich, IL

#12 Nov 27, 2007
The author forgets that Ayann Hirsi Ali has to have bodyguards with her at all times, throughout the Western world! not just in Islamic countries; because of the "fatwa" put on her by the imams and the religion of Islam. Ms.Hirsi Ali's friend, Mr. Van Gogh, was tortured and murdered by a member of the Islamic faith, because he chose to make a film showing the true faith of islam and how they treat women as second class citizens, to say the least. To try and equalize all religions, which is what I think this author is attempting to do, is a ridiculous assumption. And, by the way, Europe is not marginalizing muslim immigrants; they are choosing to marginalize themselves via their dress and culture. Have you seen what is happening in Europe? France is burning as we speak; by "disaffected:" "marginalized" muslims.They need to grow up, and join the 21st century. Any country run by the Islamic faith is disgusting....look at Saudi Arabia, Syria,Iran....very sad the way humans are treated. This is what we are bringing to the USA? Why????? Islam is evil. Just last week a father strapped a suicide belt to his 1 year old baby to kill Ms. Bhutto in Pakistan; the father and baby died but Ms. Bhutto is still alive. This is a religion of peace????????
Rhonin

Hemet, CA

#13 Nov 27, 2007
Well, first off we haven't killed anyone in the name of god. How many hundreds of thousands (millions?) has your religion killed? How does it feel to support murder?
Jackson wrote:
Just a couple of questions. What hospitals have atheists built? What schools have they started to educate youngsters? Where is Atheist University? Maybe I've missed it, but perhaps someone can illuminate me as to what atheists have done to improve society.
Rhonin

Hemet, CA

#14 Nov 27, 2007
There are NO religions of peace. Stop blaming others until you look at yourselves.
pat wrote:
The author forgets that Ayann Hirsi Ali has to have bodyguards with her at all times, throughout the Western world! not just in Islamic countries; because of the "fatwa" put on her by the imams and the religion of Islam. Ms.Hirsi Ali's friend, Mr. Van Gogh, was tortured and murdered by a member of the Islamic faith, because he chose to make a film showing the true faith of islam and how they treat women as second class citizens, to say the least. To try and equalize all religions, which is what I think this author is attempting to do, is a ridiculous assumption. And, by the way, Europe is not marginalizing muslim immigrants; they are choosing to marginalize themselves via their dress and culture. Have you seen what is happening in Europe? France is burning as we speak; by "disaffected:" "marginalized" muslims.They need to grow up, and join the 21st century. Any country run by the Islamic faith is disgusting....look at Saudi Arabia, Syria,Iran....very sad the way humans are treated. This is what we are bringing to the USA? Why????? Islam is evil. Just last week a father strapped a suicide belt to his 1 year old baby to kill Ms. Bhutto in Pakistan; the father and baby died but Ms. Bhutto is still alive. This is a religion of peace????????

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Made in Yorkshire

#16 Nov 28, 2007
michael jordan wrote:
do athiests go to hell? do they believe in h e ll..
Weak Atheism - no belief in god.
Strong Atheism - belief god does not exist.

That is all.

Hell is just a fictional construct to scare people into belief. The bottom line is we are born, we live and we die. What we make of our lives is up to to us.
MLM

Chicago Heights, IL

#17 Nov 28, 2007
No it's not the 'bottom line', the bottom line is that the evidence of God's existence is right in front of us if we just look at it. There's no way life and this universe could have just come from nothing. That belief is as irrational as we're told God is. The real bottom line is that God does exist and that a lot of people are going to be sorry when they have to stand before him and explain why they never accepted him.

Another poster confuses what God dictates with what man interprets. Many religions have this problem. Followers twist and manipulate things for their own wishes and use them to kill and destroy. In reality, God doesn't want anyone killed at all, things like the Crusades and the Iquisiton were a big mistake on man's part.
lmc

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#18 Nov 28, 2007
MLM wrote:
No it's not the 'bottom line', the bottom line is that the evidence of God's existence is right in front of us if we just look at it. There's no way life and this universe could have just come from nothing. That belief is as irrational as we're told God is. The real bottom line is that God does exist and that a lot of people are going to be sorry when they have to stand before him and explain why they never accepted him.
Another poster confuses what God dictates with what man interprets. Many religions have this problem. Followers twist and manipulate things for their own wishes and use them to kill and destroy. In reality, God doesn't want anyone killed at all, things like the Crusades and the Iquisiton were a big mistake on man's part.
Well said! I agree.
elm

Chicago, IL

#19 Nov 28, 2007
Jackson,
Athiests do good deeds everyday. They just don't need to do it while drawing attention to their belief that god doesn't exist.

Maybe if Christians and other religos could separate their good works from their religion, we'd all know that it's out of the goodness of their hearts - not just to get into heaven.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#20 Nov 28, 2007
Articles like this try to make of religion a current or past 'fad' that only appeals to people because they have a family who plays along with either this or that stupid set of myths. The sad truth such 'enlightened' authors miss completely is the reality of God, and the simple fact that once each of us dies we will be judged by that God. Anyone not devoting major energy to learning what HE believes, and searching for the truth,and ultimately acting on those truths once discovered risks an eternity paying a heavy price for their bad choices, lack of goodness, or refusal to see beyond their own self-gratification.

Because God is real, and He made humans to be both physical and spiritual beings, hence the "made in His Image and Likeness" thingy we poor ignorant humans can find our Creator and benefactor by following HIS direction to 'Seek', and he will allow our spiritual nature to " FIND" Him. All it takes is child like humility, and that means trust. Not Childish behavior, but adult understanding and yet letting go of the huge ego, and becoming humble as a child is, then He will begin the process of your education. It is a ride i an still on, and will be all my life. I highly recommend it. It is the ultimate adventure with best of results, but it is never easy, and will almost certainly cause you aginy, and yet an agony you will willing accept.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#21 Nov 28, 2007
michael jordan wrote:
do athiests go to hell? do they believe in h e ll..
Atheists will discover the harsh reality of heII, which will be too late for them to discover that atheism is the work of satan. Ignore God Now. He ignores you, later.

So you atheists should 'seek', and so you will find, but only if you seek God in honesty and humility. Arrogant human bravado, doesn't ever work.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#22 Nov 28, 2007
Satan has been highly successful in convincing his minions that religion is the cause of all satans works, and both he and God are just myths believed only by the simple minded.

I KNOW God and satan are real, and I also know we all better get with making God's work our work or we will spend an eternity regretting it in ways most nightmares can only hint at. Many are called, but few are chosen.

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Made in Yorkshire

#23 Nov 28, 2007
MLM wrote:
No it's not the 'bottom line', the bottom line is that the evidence of God's existence is right in front of us if we just look at it. There's no way life and this universe could have just come from nothing. That belief is as irrational as we're told God is. The real bottom line is that God does exist and that a lot of people are going to be sorry when they have to stand before him and explain why they never accepted him.
Another poster confuses what God dictates with what man interprets. Many religions have this problem. Followers twist and manipulate things for their own wishes and use them to kill and destroy. In reality, God doesn't want anyone killed at all, things like the Crusades and the Iquisiton were a big mistake on man's part.
The nature of your god is clearly outlined in the bible. From your point of view this is the word of god. In order for god to exist there has to be evidence jesus was a real person.

There is no historical evidence which shows jesus ever existed in real life. If irrefutable proof of jesus being a real person had been found it would have been broadcast over every major news channel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 4 min wondering 340
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 54 min MUQ1 22,364
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 54 min Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 484
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr NightSerf 932
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Aura Mytha 227,740
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 4 hr P_Smith 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••