Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Jul 25, 2012
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 16, 2012
 
I am curious why so many people discuss the term god and do not define it so we know what they are talking about. Even if we were all discussing the socalled Biblical God, or Christian God, there would be so many different concepts of what that one is like that people would be wise to explain exactly what sort of god they believe in.

For example, did that god create absolutely everything that the claim exists - including angels, laws of nature, satan, evil itself?
if the god is a three-part god, what does the holy ghost do, and what does god do, and what did Jesus do in his role as a God? don't some Biblical passages seem to allege that Jesus did the creating, and some seem to allege that Yahweh did it, or God, or the I am that I am, or the one that cannot be named. and which of those terms is correct?

Believers on here need to explain more about the type of god they believe in, and not take it for granted we all know exactly what sort of god they worship.

and the atheists - especially those who say that god does not exist - would be wise to specify what sort of god does not exist, or possible gods. for example, if I define God as the all that exists, how is an atheist going to deny that such a God exists?(pantheism is often considered a subterfuge for atheism, but is it necessarily Not a plausible definition of god?)

anyone believing in dualism, with a free and independent force of evil, should explain that - and how the two forces came to be. anyone who believes that the big god made everything, including the sources of evil, had better try to explain why a good and very powerful god would make evil. the free will argument is nonsense, but let them try to whitewash their flawed Creator yet another time, if that is the excuse they are using, for the existence of evil.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 16, 2012
 
Ignosticism

" http://lmgtfy.com/... ;

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 17, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

People don't define god, because it leaves them open to challenges.

They know it isn't real to begin with, so they'll try their damndest to talk philosophy, love, politics in order to avoid defining their god up front.

They prefer to ease you into the bullsh*t rather than sell it to you honestly.

Religion is basically one big confidence trick that works like a pyramid scheme through generations.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 19, 2012
 
It's impossible to define something that does't exist.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 19, 2012
 
Hedonist wrote:
Ignosticism
" http://lmgtfy.com/... ;
yes, I looked that one up - maybe on wiki - and found it interesting when someone suggested the term.

I see it as an opening step, and not the last word, however. one can begin as an ignostic in challenging someone who will not state clearly what he means by using the term god. then if he defines it adequately, one can decide to respond further as to whether one approves of the definition, approves of the god, or thinks it could possibly exist. I generally don't - to all three!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 19, 2012
 
-Skeptic- wrote:
People don't define god, because it leaves them open to challenges.
They know it isn't real to begin with, so they'll try their damndest to talk philosophy, love, politics in order to avoid defining their god up front.
They prefer to ease you into the bullsh*t rather than sell it to you honestly.
Religion is basically one big confidence trick that works like a pyramid scheme through generations.
I do not quite understand how you can assert that "They know it isn't real to begin with" and then assert that "Religion is basically one big confidence trick." The latter seems to imply that people have fallen for it and do believe it is real.

I have no problem with someone wanting to discuss philosophy, love or politics. It does not have to be a diversion from the task of defining the God that the person believes in - or the gods that other persons do not believe in.

but thank you for your contribution. sometimes I think you could be sensible, if you were willing to try, instead of just wanting to insult people too quickly. lots of your comments make sense, if the putdowns were left out.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 19, 2012
 
Nontheist wrote:
It's impossible to define something that does't exist.
it exists as a concept in someone's mind - and too many people still do not want to explain what they mean when they use the term, even though they supposedly believe in it. I think there are many different concepts, even variations on the Biblical God, depending on the individuals. I do suspect that many believers do not want to expose their concept to criticism, whether of the intellectual or moral kind.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 19, 2012
 
I define god as a manifestation of mans ignorance.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 19, 2012
 
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>I do not quite understand how you can assert that "They know it isn't real to begin with" and then assert that "Religion is basically one big confidence trick." The latter seems to imply that people have fallen for it and do believe it is real.
I have no problem with someone wanting to discuss philosophy, love or politics. It does not have to be a diversion from the task of defining the God that the person believes in - or the gods that other persons do not believe in.
but thank you for your contribution. sometimes I think you could be sensible, if you were willing to try, instead of just wanting to insult people too quickly. lots of your comments make sense, if the putdowns were left out.
People seem to both know subconsciously that it's not real and yet ignore this subconscious sense on a regular basis. Cognitive dissonance at it's everyday finest.

People say their deity is looking out for them, but also know that wearing seatbelts saves more lives than praying.

People say that the afterlife is paradise, yet cling to this life like there is no tomorrow. And we mourn the dead instead of celebrating their passing on.

We call all natural disasters "acts of god" and yet say god is all loving.

Everything about the way people talk about their religious beliefs is at odds with the way they actually live their lives. There are probably thousands of little ways we experience this dissonance everyday, from people of every religion.

This very dissonance may actually be a root cause of a lot of psychotic difficulties we humans contend with.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 20, 2012
 
I define God as the Creator of all things good and bad.

peace.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 20, 2012
 
Sarah ___ wrote:
I define God as the Creator of all things good and bad.
peace.
That is not a useful definition because you add nothing descriptive. We could take your statement and in place of the word 'god' we could put:

Natural Universe
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Invisible Pink Unicorn
The Magic Hedgehog

Or almost anything else.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 20, 2012
 
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not a useful definition because you add nothing descriptive. We could take your statement and in place of the word 'god' we could put:
Natural Universe
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Invisible Pink Unicorn
The Magic Hedgehog
Or almost anything else.
Okay, some people think that those things are God.
As an adult I have no image of God in my heart so don't ask me to describe how God looks like..
IRYW

Malvern, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 20, 2012
 
Sarah ___ wrote:
<quoted
As an adult I have no image of God in my heart so don't ask me to describe how God looks like..
I didn't ask what it looks like. I said you had nothing descriptive. You have no belief in a deity if you can't even attach one descriptive term to it, because without one descriptive term about the thing itself, it doesn't have anything meaningful in terms of existing. This would make you an atheist.

Since: Dec 10

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 20, 2012
 
Sarah ___ wrote:
I define God as the Creator of all things good and bad.
peace.
Based on what? In other words, why do you believe that all things good and bad were created?

In addition, do you pray to this god? If you do, than your definition is incomplete.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 20, 2012
 
Oh I like that one!
Very Cynical Person wrote:
I define god as a manifestation of mans ignorance.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 22, 2012
 
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh I like that one!
<quoted text>
It is the truth as I see it.
redneck

Cave Junction, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 22, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Sarah ___ wrote:
I define God as the Creator of all things good and bad.
peace.
Then all bad things come from your god. He sounds like an a$$#ole. How can you worship the creator of a world of war and famine and misery for millions of people?

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 22, 2012
 
And I certainly agree. Bravo!
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>It is the truth as I see it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 25, 2012
 
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not a useful definition because you add nothing descriptive. We could take your statement and in place of the word 'god' we could put:
Natural Universe
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Invisible Pink Unicorn
The Magic Hedgehog
Or almost anything else.
I was unaware of the magic hedgehog. thank you for calling it to my attention.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Patrick 357
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr CunningLinguist 224,019
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 5 hr Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 5 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Patrick 21,376
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 13 hr Thinking 831
•••
•••