HELL real or not?

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#156 Oct 4, 2013
Everything can be simplified since one thing is certain. We will all go into a box 6 feet underground, or most of us, anyway. I can do 2 things: 1)HOPE that He is not there; or 2)TRUST that He will be. Only those two options. The second is positive, and seems like a good deal. I prefer it.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#157 Oct 4, 2013
roseinthorn__ wrote:
Everything can be simplified since one thing is certain. We will all go into a box 6 feet underground, or most of us, anyway. I can do 2 things: 1)HOPE that He is not there; or 2)TRUST that He will be. Only those two options. The second is positive, and seems like a good deal. I prefer it.
Its sad that you live your life in such fear of the god you worship.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#158 Oct 4, 2013
roseinthorn__ wrote:
Everything can be simplified since one thing is certain. We will all go into a box 6 feet underground, or most of us, anyway. I can do 2 things: 1)HOPE that He is not there; or 2)TRUST that He will be. Only those two options. The second is positive, and seems like a good deal. I prefer it.
Pascal's Wager.

Or?

A subtle joke, showing that the god most people believe in, is too stupid to get it when people believe "just in case".
Amused

Lowell, MA

#159 Oct 4, 2013
roseinthorn__ wrote:
Everything can be simplified since one thing is certain. We will all go into a box 6 feet underground, or most of us, anyway. I can do 2 things: 1)HOPE that He is not there; or 2)TRUST that He will be. Only those two options. The second is positive, and seems like a good deal. I prefer it.
Do you HOPE that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning?

Do you HOPE that gravity will continue to keep you in contact with the surface of the earth?

Reason tells us that certain things are so highly probable that even though there is a theoretical possibility they might not happen, their happening is virtually certain. For the same reason you are confident that you won't find yourself face-to-face with an angry allah who has already decreed that as a non-muslim, you are damned, I am confident there is nothing waiting for me once the EEG goes flatline.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#160 Oct 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god is so horrible?
That the **only** way your god can get followers-- is to use extortion and threats....
.... WTF?
What did God do to you, wait he did nothing.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#161 Oct 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god is so horrible?
That the **only** way your god can get followers-- is to use extortion and threats....
.... WTF?
Seems like atheists are angry all the time about religion. How about you atheists contribute to the world instead of blabbering about how stupid religion is.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#162 Oct 4, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you live you will not be effected by hell. So relax
http://youtu.be/dWXkBBIaiVc
Only fundamentalist theists are 'effected' by hell, since effected means to be activated or brought into existence.

As long as I live, I will not be 'affected' by hell, either, since I don't believe in it, and it has no influence over my thoughts or actions.

Once I die, I will be incapable of being affected by hell, since hell is a creation of the imagination, and at death, the ability to imagine, like all other intellectual abilities, is extinguished.

You really ought to invest the time needed to learn how to speak your native language correctly. It is really hard to take anything you say seriously when you are unable or unwilling to express yourself clearly using the actual words that refer to the things you are talking about, and not merely the second cousin of the correct word.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#163 Oct 4, 2013
Topix can be inadvertently hilarious at times. Under the blurb for the lead article in this thread, there's a box entitled "Related Articles". One of the supposedly "Related Articles" is one entitled, "How to Nip Problem Barking in the Bud". It led me to thinking about the analogy between fundies coming into atheist forums posting their claptrap about hell and an annoying dog that won't stop barking.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#164 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
What did God do to you, wait he did nothing.
Correct: your god is not my god.

Your god only exists within your own pointy head.

When you die someday? So will your pointy-headed god die.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#165 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like atheists are angry all the time about religion. How about you atheists contribute to the world instead of blabbering about how stupid religion is.
Bill Gates; created an OS that allowed PC's to work and be cheap. Atheist. Not angry.

Iaasic Asimov. Author of thousands of books. Atheist. Not angry.

Watson & Crick. Discovered all life on earth is related and uses essentially the same DNA. Atheists. Not angry.

Alan Turing. Helped to develop the ideas that led to the modern computer. Atheist. Not angry.

Henri Poincaré. French mathematician. Considered to be the top in several fields of math simultaneously. Atheist. Not angry.

Irène Joliot-Curie. Chemist. Daughter of the famous Marie Curie. Won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Atheist. Not angry.

Sir Julian Huxley FRS. Biologist. Founded the World Wildlife Fund. Atheist. Not angry.

Gordon Gould. Physicist. Invented the LASER. Atheist. Not angry.

James Randi. Magician, paranormal investigator, and founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation. Atheist. Not angry.

Douglas Adams. Author of many books. Atheist. Not angry.

Dave Barry. Author and humorist. Atheist. Not angry.

... the list is endless...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#166 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like atheists are angry all the time about religion. How about you atheists contribute to the world instead of blabbering about how stupid religion is.
Dude!

You have failed to answer **why** your ugly god cannot get followers without the threat of hell.

Why?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#167 Oct 4, 2013
Amused wrote:
Topix can be inadvertently hilarious at times. Under the blurb for the lead article in this thread, there's a box entitled "Related Articles". One of the supposedly "Related Articles" is one entitled, "How to Nip Problem Barking in the Bud". It led me to thinking about the analogy between fundies coming into atheist forums posting their claptrap about hell and an annoying dog that won't stop barking.
Oh, if only there were an electric collar that they were forced to wear, that anytime they started sticking their noses into other people's business?

They get a little shock...
KJV

United States

#168 Oct 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Your god is so horrible?

That the **only** way your god can get followers-- is to use extortion and threats....

.... WTF?
Just one of the ways.
KJV

United States

#169 Oct 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Nope-- read your frikkin' bible-- Moses wrote them.

And Jewsus?

He was an illiterate moron-- he couldn't write.

Likely couldn't read, either...
Wikipedia :

God inscribed them on two stone tablets, which he gave to Moses on Mount Sinai

What a fool you are booby
KJV

United States

#170 Oct 4, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I can't imagine it ever bothering me again. I left all that damned idiocy behind me, when I had finished reading the buybull.

It certainly never seems to be far from your mind though, is that because there just may be a bastard or 40, somewhere in the last nine generations of your family?

That pretty much is all it takes to earn a one way ticket to hell, and people being people, sex is gonna happen, irregardless of the big guy in the skies panty sniffing ways.
You know nothing of Christianity.

Your every word is just plan wrong.
KJV

United States

#171 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>Seems like atheists are angry all the time about religion. How about you atheists contribute to the world instead of blabbering about how stupid religion is.
That's beyond them.
KJV

United States

#172 Oct 4, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>Only fundamentalist theists are 'effected' by hell, since effected means to be activated or brought into existence.

As long as I live, I will not be 'affected' by hell, either, since I don't believe in it, and it has no influence over my thoughts or actions.

Once I die, I will be incapable of being affected by hell, since hell is a creation of the imagination, and at death, the ability to imagine, like all other intellectual abilities, is extinguished.

You really ought to invest the time needed to learn how to speak your native language correctly. It is really hard to take anything you say seriously when you are unable or unwilling to express yourself clearly using the actual words that refer to the things you are talking about, and not merely the second cousin of the correct word.
"You really ought to invest the time needed to learn how to speak your native language correctly"

So you want me to start posting Russian? Weird!

"Once I die, I will be incapable of being affected by hell, since hell is a creation of the imagination, and at death, the ability to imagine, like all other intellectual abilities, is extinguished."

Or you can die and find yourself in hell.

Oh that's right you don't believe in hell so there is no hell.
KJV

United States

#173 Oct 4, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>Only fundamentalist theists are 'effected' by hell, since effected means to be activated or brought into existence.

As long as I live, I will not be 'affected' by hell, either, since I don't believe in it, and it has no influence over my thoughts or actions.

Once I die, I will be incapable of being affected by hell, since hell is a creation of the imagination, and at death, the ability to imagine, like all other intellectual abilities, is extinguished.

You really ought to invest the time needed to learn how to speak your native language correctly. It is really hard to take anything you say seriously when you are unable or unwilling to express yourself clearly using the actual words that refer to the things you are talking about, and not merely the second cousin of the correct word.
"You really ought to invest the time needed to learn how to speak your native language correctly"

You speak Russian?

Really?
KJV

United States

#174 Oct 4, 2013
Amused wrote:
Topix can be inadvertently hilarious at times. Under the blurb for the lead article in this thread, there's a box entitled "Related Articles". One of the supposedly "Related Articles" is one entitled, "How to Nip Problem Barking in the Bud". It led me to thinking about the analogy between fundies coming into atheist forums posting their claptrap about hell and an annoying dog that won't stop barking.
You don't need to get on threads you don't think you'll like.
KJV

United States

#175 Oct 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Correct: your god is not my god.

Your god only exists within your own pointy head.

When you die someday? So will your pointy-headed god die.
"Correct: your god is not my god. "

He is your judge like it or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min dollarsbill 247,373
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 26 min Eagle 12 12,631
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr Shizle 111
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 3 hr superwilly 20
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 7 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 9 hr -Stray Dog 47,794
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 11 hr par five 6
More from around the web