“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1677 Nov 19, 2012
Hello Christine!

Yes I have been well, thank you for asking. And how about yourself?

The idea that the Universe is infinite in terms of time and matter is interesting. The image of universes spontaneously appearing, growing like the bubbles in a glass of champagne, then returning to a singularity come to my mind. Yes...yes.. I know it probably isn't supported by the math, but it sounds like it does.

It at once suggests something fairly large, infinitely large, unimaginably vast.( and for those that don't get it, actually larger than even three football fields placed end to end........)

Then within that, somewhere off in the corner of this immensity is our universe, and in this universe is our galaxy, then our solar system.....then us!

Kinda makes the concept of god pulling the whole thing out of his ass seem a tad silly.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1678 Nov 19, 2012
This is interesting.
http://phys.org/news126955971.html

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1679 Nov 20, 2012
Ozada wrote:
Hello Christine!
Yes I have been well, thank you for asking. And how about yourself?
The idea that the Universe is infinite in terms of time and matter is interesting. The image of universes spontaneously appearing, growing like the bubbles in a glass of champagne, then returning to a singularity come to my mind. Yes...yes.. I know it probably isn't supported by the math, but it sounds like it does.
It at once suggests something fairly large, infinitely large, unimaginably vast.( and for those that don't get it, actually larger than even three football fields placed end to end........)
Then within that, somewhere off in the corner of this immensity is our universe, and in this universe is our galaxy, then our solar system.....then us!
Kinda makes the concept of god pulling the whole thing out of his ass seem a tad silly.
I’m good thanks.

Very interesting, some of the research at the perimeter institute looks at the possibilities of the multiverse concept and yes the new math does support it. I like your champagne idea, I believe Professor Andrai Linde has likened it to swiss cheese, others to foam. Yup this is the way theoretical cosmology is going.

A$$? wow, I though he sneezed it from his left nostril.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1680 Nov 20, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
This is interesting.
http://phys.org/news126955971.html
For once I agree with you, thank you, very intersting.

The article mentions Param Singh, brilliant man without whom the sort of theoretical research going on at the moment would not exist.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1681 Nov 20, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
For once I agree with you, thank you, very intersting.
The article mentions Param Singh, brilliant man without whom the sort of theoretical research going on at the moment would not exist.
Uh oh. Don't agree with me it will throw off the Topix balance...
lol

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1683 Nov 20, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Uh oh. Don't agree with me it will throw off the Topix balance...
lol
I know, I know but what can we do, you say something sensible and although it hurts to do it I must concur

Will this thread ever recover?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1684 Nov 20, 2012
I doubt it, but it is possible.
Here maybe this will help.
Stephen Hawking's "theories" on blackholes are about as valid in their proof as the Koran.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1685 Nov 21, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
I doubt it, but it is possible.
Here maybe this will help.
Stephen Hawking's "theories" on blackholes are about as valid in their proof as the Koran.
Wrong again, welcome back. As you know we have already been here and I am not going over old stuff again. I suggest you think of something new or get something valid that does not stink of hypocrisy if you want a discussion.

The qur’an is more or less the same as the babble but with more detail, mostly the same stories, the same god to worship, so you are saying the babble is BS.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1686 Nov 21, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, welcome back. As you know we have already been here and I am not going over old stuff again. I suggest you think of something new or get something valid that does not stink of hypocrisy if you want a discussion.
How am I wrong?
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

The qur’an is more or less the same as the babble but with more detail, mostly the same stories, the same god to worship, so you are saying the babble is BS.
Maybe this will answer your question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1687 Nov 21, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>How am I wrong?<quoted text>Maybe this will answer your question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Because you always are.

Wrong again, It was not a question it was a statement

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1688 Nov 21, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you always are.
Wrong again, It was not a question it was a statement
am not

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1689 Nov 21, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>am not
Wrong again

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1690 Nov 21, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again
you are the one that agreed with me a few posts back

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#1691 Nov 21, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>you are the one that agreed with me a few posts back
Only once, and I fully explained my actions. Rather unlike you in that respect

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#1692 Nov 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you agree that notions of God are all metaphorical, then there is no argument. The issue is that the language of the Bible is NOT metaphorical when it comes to the age of the world.
-------

Yes, the only thing not metaphorical about God is that He is Spirit. Jesus himself declared that God is Spirit and not like a man to act as one.(John 4:24; Num. 23:19) And the whole account of Creation is an allegory to point to the origin of man.

There is nothing literal about the age of the world. Besides, the Bible is not a book of Cosmology; but it does mention that the universe did have a beginning. So, what Lamaitre did with the theory of the big bang in 1922 was only to confirm the Biblical text.

Ben

Ben

“Jeezuz in the Potty”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1693 Nov 21, 2012
Ben_Masada wrote:
<quoted text>
-------
Yes, the only thing not metaphorical about God is that He is Spirit. Jesus himself declared that God is Spirit and not like a man to act as one.(John 4:24; Num. 23:19) And the whole account of Creation is an allegory to point to the origin of man.
Except.....there is no proof of this. None, just words in a old book.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1694 Nov 23, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
I doubt it, but it is possible.
Here maybe this will help.
Stephen Hawking's "theories" on blackholes are about as valid in their proof as the Koran.
Lying Creationist poser ousted again for her stupidity and lies.

Nobody believes in your cult, go home, the show is over. Pray your kind spawn anothers palin creature that slips through the net and gets laughed down again by rational and sane society.

Typical - you can't come right up and say what you have to say, you hide behind the veil of your moniker and pretend to be agnostic.

Snivelling cowardly lying yet wholly inneffective cult scum.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1696 Nov 24, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying Creationist poser ousted again for her stupidity and lies.
Nobody believes in your cult, go home, the show is over. Pray your kind spawn anothers palin creature that slips through the net and gets laughed down again by rational and sane society.
Typical - you can't come right up and say what you have to say, you hide behind the veil of your moniker and pretend to be agnostic.
Snivelling cowardly lying yet wholly inneffective cult scum.
Dork

“What trolls???”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1697 Nov 24, 2012
Ben_Masada wrote:
The Myth of the Big Bang
Before you jump into the conclusion that I am about to bash the believers of this myth, I need to bring to your attention that the title of this thread, I have borrowed it from the great Astrophysicist Carl Sagan in his book "Cosmos," page 258.
After going through some quotations about the myths of creation, Carl Sagan refers to them as tributes to human audacity, being the chief difference between them and "our modern scientific myth of the big bang, that science is self-questioning through the performance of experiments and observations to test our ideas." Never mind how a myth can be tested or experimented upon.
The bottom line is that it was rather magnanimous of Carl Sagan to admit the big bang as no more, no less, a myth, just like any other mythological account of creation, which, nevertheless, is "equally worthy our deep respect." Here, Carl Sagan implies, IMHO, that the concept of probability is as good as gold in both cases: Creation and the big bang.
There are two modalities of beliefs: To believe by faith, when we don't know much about what we believe in, and to believe on the basis of probability, when even imaginable things move from zero to some possibility. To believe by faith, which leads to a claim or denial of anything as a fact, Carl Sagan calls it audacity, while king David calls it foolishness.(Psalm 14:1)
No wonder some theists charge atheists with equal need of faith to believe or to deny as both do each other. So, the only solution to this predicament is to believe on the basis of the concept of probability. Thus, audacity and foolishness are replaced by wisdom.
Ben
You know what else is a myth?

Your everlasting fixation with your imaginary hallucination you call 'god'.

(god doesn't deserve a capital 'G')

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#1698 Nov 25, 2012
http://dudeism.com/
Just got my certificate of ordination. Anyone want to get married? I may or may not show up to preside over the services.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 25 min ChristineM 228,564
Our world came from nothing? 39 min Reason Personified 700
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 3 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Heaven 5 hr susanblange 2
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 7 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 15 hr Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE