6 Common Myths About Atheism

Nov 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

If you want to piss off an atheist, tell him or her that atheism is a religion just like any other.

Comments
161 - 180 of 294 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2012

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should start by actually getting your facts straight.
Atheism is NOT a "faith" proposition. It is the denial of "faith" as a valid position.
Literally a-theism is "without theism". More accurately it is "without belief".
It is most definitely NOT a substitution of one belief for another.
Let me try to put it in terms you can understand --
You claim that there is a god. As an atheist, I simply doubt YOUR claim made without evidence.
That's really no different than what you do with anybody else's "god" claim. When a Hindu person claims that Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma exist, you doubt their claim and ask for evidence ... real, independently verifiable evidence.
Wrong.

"Atheist" comes from the greek root "atheos", meaning no god, or without god. Atheism is the belief that no god exists.

Simply doubting the existence of god, or claims to that effect, is "agnosticism".

If you are going to claim to be an atheist, perhaps you should first learn what it is.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - "Atheism means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet chose NOT to address any of my points directly.
<quoted text>
Pascal's Wager is a false dichotomy (i.e., logical fallacy). There are more than 2 options to consider here. Maybe the Hindu creation story is the correct one and you are worshiping a false god.
<quoted text>
Agnosticism is a statement about knowledge, not belief.
In spite of you strawman caricature of what you want to believe about atheists, an atheist does NOT claim that deities are 100% proven to not exist, but we do, for the most part, consider the possibility of any deity's existence to be so extremely improbably as to be absurd to consider.
You contradicted yourself.

In the previous post, you claimed that your atheism simply rejects claims with no evidence.

Now, you make a positive claim of your own - that such existence is absurd.

In other words, you state that your atheism makes no god-claim, then you make a god-claim.

Both you and your atheism are dishonest. But I won't blame it on atheism - you would be dishonest regardless of your belief.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

You didnt build that wrote:
<quoted text>
....What should we expect from a faith whose inherant message is that life is meaningless, and morality is nothing more than an idea?
You might want to believe that my life is meaningless, but I'm contemplating a great night out dancing with my wife.

As for "morality", you must be joking. Religion has no high ground here with pedophilia rampant in just about every cult.

As I have asked before, repeatedly -- name 1 moral precept that you can show originated from you religion. JUST ONE. And you can't do it.

So how do you decide which absolute morals in you Bible are the right ones in today's society? You know, stoning people who work on the Sabbath, killing witches, slavery, treating women as chattel,... You pick and choose based on modern societal ethics, just like everybody else.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to believe that my life is meaningless, but I'm contemplating a great night out dancing with my wife.
As for "morality", you must be joking. Religion has no high ground here with pedophilia rampant in just about every cult.
As I have asked before, repeatedly -- name 1 moral precept that you can show originated from you religion. JUST ONE. And you can't do it.
So how do you decide which absolute morals in you Bible are the right ones in today's society? You know, stoning people who work on the Sabbath, killing witches, slavery, treating women as chattel,... You pick and choose based on modern societal ethics, just like everybody else.
The Bible is not about morals.

Do you know someone stoned for working on the sabbath?

You lightweights have fun till Buck shows up.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
"Atheist" comes from the greek root "atheos", meaning no god, or without god. Atheism is the belief that no god exists.
Simply doubting the existence of god, or claims to that effect, is "agnosticism".
If you are going to claim to be an atheist, perhaps you should first learn what it is.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - "Atheism means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."
Actually I don't claim to be an a-theist no more than I claim to be an a-astrologist, or an a-gnomist, or ....

That a label theists use to define everybody who does not hold a belief that one or more deities exist.

I am a non-theists, true enough, but that only tell you what I'm not. A more accurate description of what I'm not would include that I'm also a theological noncognitivist.

On the positive side, I am a Humanist, which tells you a lot more about what I am.

Why are all the theists who post in here always so negative? Is it just you nature to be vindictive?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That the truth!
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, missed a part of my post --
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Bible.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You contradicted yourself.
In the previous post, you claimed that your atheism simply rejects claims with no evidence.
Now, you make a positive claim of your own - that such existence is absurd.
In other words, you state that your atheism makes no god-claim, then you make a god-claim.
Both you and your atheism are dishonest. But I won't blame it on atheism - you would be dishonest regardless of your belief.
Now I remember why I don't try to converse with you. You have a reading comprehension problem.(Either that are you purposely misrepresent what people say, which would be bearing false witness.)

What I said was CONSIDERATION is absurd. Until you can define a set of properties for an entity which could possible exist and which could right be labeled a deity, any consideration of existence is meaningless.

You might as well contemplate the existence of Russell's Teapot. It's much better defined and it's possible that it exist. But consideration that it really does exist is still absurd.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
...Both you and your atheism are dishonest. But I won't blame it on atheism - you would be dishonest regardless of your belief.
And right into ad hominems. A sure sigh that you've got nothing and you know it.
Occupy this

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You lightweights have fun till Buck shows up.
That's right Buck.

And what these lightweights don't seem to understand is the overall impact on society that their atheist faith has on themselves and on others. Society is falling apart because of atheist liberalism.

When a man believes he's nothing more than a hairless monkey, is more likely to act like a monkey. If a man believes morality is nothing more than ideas dreamed up by groups of people, he's more likely to ignore moral choices.

Your average atheist does not seem to possess the intellectual capacity to understand the obvious. That's why they can only respond to these issues with off topic attacks about a specific religion or the origins of morals.

These atheists are both dimwitted and of poor character. They all sound the same too. Even the author of this article strikes me as childish and stupid. If they weren't so pathetically sad, I would say they are without question, the lowest possible form of human life.
Occupy this

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I don't claim to be an a-theist no more than I claim to be an a-astrologist, or an a-gnomist, or ....
But you just claimed to be an atheist earlier today.

See everyone? No honor - only lies from atheists.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I remember why I don't try to converse with you. You have a reading comprehension problem.(Either that are you purposely misrepresent what people say, which would be bearing false witness.)
What I said was CONSIDERATION is absurd. Until you can define a set of properties for an entity which could possible exist and which could right be labeled a deity, any consideration of existence is meaningless.
You might as well contemplate the existence of Russell's Teapot. It's much better defined and it's possible that it exist. But consideration that it really does exist is still absurd.
Your last two posts are incomprehensible gibberish.

But please do not re-write them.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Works for me.
I am glad that you get it. Sometimes I wish that people would remove the plank from their asses before they attempt to shove it in mine.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist doctrine promotes shame in being pregnant, shame of having babies, shame in allowing them to be born. That is no different than the shame that many religious people instill in the minds of their daughters for out of wedlock pregnancies. Creating human life is not shameful but destroying it is. They think it's their right and duty to tell everybody else on the planet that they have too many babies and should abort them to make life more pleasant for themselves. I don't follow religious websites. They are a huge waste of time. I already know the basics of Christianity from going to church when I was a kid, not that I didn't try to sleep through most of that.
Did you know that you can stand every single human being on the planet shoulder to shoulder and they will fit in a space the size of L.A. If you give each one of those people a 10' by 10' square you can fit them all into the state of Texas. That is just something that I found interesting.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose I should have been more specific?
It is part of "Topix" atheists doctrine. You all appear to belong to the same sect. All espousing the same "rules" for living.
Is that part of Sam Harris' science of morality?
;)

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

<sigh>
What happened to posting myths?
You angry, humorless, sticks in the mud..
mud stickers.. the lot of ya's.
Occupy this

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Did you know that you can stand every single human being on the planet shoulder to shoulder and they will fit in a space the size of L.A. If you give each one of those people a 10' by 10' square you can fit them all into the state of Texas. That is just something that I found interesting.
Obama and the radical leftists in our government are planning on doing something similar to the entire population of the USA. They're going to heard everyone into cities, take away their cars and give them solar powered bicycles made by Solyendra....Something about wanting save the planet, by destroying America as we know it - by eliminating freedom and capitalism

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Occupy this wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama and the radical leftists in our government are planning on doing something similar to the entire population of the USA. They're going to heard everyone into cities, take away their cars and give them solar powered bicycles made by Solyendra....Something about wanting save the planet, by destroying America as we know it - by eliminating freedom and capitalism
That makes no sense. I am no Obama fan but even if it was Romney that won nothing would have changed.
Occupy this

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That makes no sense. I am no Obama fan but even if it was Romney that won nothing would have changed.
If you really believe that, then you're clueless - Just like slightly more than half the population.

America is done. Read this now, believe it later.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Occupy this wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really believe that, then you're clueless - Just like slightly more than half the population.
America is done. Read this now, believe it later.
America ay be going down the tubes but I doubt that there are going to be mandatory solar powered bicycles coming with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••