6 Common Myths About Atheism

Nov 16, 2012 Full story: Truthdig 294

If you want to piss off an atheist, tell him or her that atheism is a religion just like any other.

Full Story

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#145 Dec 4, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
English please? Some of those are not even words. English your third language? I will overlook your simpleton writings and answer. Regardless yes many Christians call Jesus lord and I see you need to look up the word sect. Wow just wow.
See I am not making this stuff up my Facebook people.( Link provided to this post as proof ) These idiots really say this stuff.
Now as for you my sub 80 IQ Christian, if it talks like an apologetic, argues like an apologetic and goes after non believers like an apologetic.... I'll let you scratch your head and finish that statement. Oh and wipe the drool from your chin.
<quoted text>
Your "Facebook people" are about as bright as a flock of cackling magpies sitting on a power line and are only proof of how Groupthink is making everybody into under-achievers. Not that you have much potential as a problem solver.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#146 Dec 4, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Look ma'am, I have no idea what you are talking about. Where did I mention anything about any doctrines?
Yeah! He's too stupid to remember that it was me who used that word. Not that I'm planning on patenting it or anything.

:D

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147 Dec 4, 2012
My Facebook buddies get a laugh at you an your sock puppet LT along with the other godbots here.

Sometimes they have claimed you rejects can't really be that stupid and that maybe I was putting words in your ignorant mouth.

So I have provided links to prove my assertions.

Still waiting on those atheist doctrines you were talking about under this screen name. Did you ever put them together or shall I post the Christian apologetic website you stole that from?

Let me guess, you were going to die in les than a year but were saved by the power of prayer?

:knowing smile:
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah! He's too stupid to remember that it was me who used that word. Not that I'm planning on patenting it or anything.
:D

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#148 Dec 4, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I know. That little child has shown more heart and bravery than a million of her Muslims combined. She is indeed a hero.
<quoted text>
Give the kid a backpack and you'll see what kind of hero she is.

Lexington, KY

#149 Dec 4, 2012
Yes a backpack full of books to help herself further her education as she has fought for all girls in her area. You are in a country where they do not kill women for seeking an education, may I suggest you take advantage of that?
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Give the kid a backpack and you'll see what kind of hero she is.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#150 Dec 4, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
My Facebook buddies get a laugh at you an your sock puppet LT along with the other godbots here.
Sometimes they have claimed you rejects can't really be that stupid and that maybe I was putting words in your ignorant mouth.
So I have provided links to prove my assertions.
Still waiting on those atheist doctrines you were talking about under this screen name. Did you ever put them together or shall I post the Christian apologetic website you stole that from?
Let me guess, you were going to die in les than a year but were saved by the power of prayer?
:knowing smile:
<quoted text>
Atheist doctrine promotes shame in being pregnant, shame of having babies, shame in allowing them to be born. That is no different than the shame that many religious people instill in the minds of their daughters for out of wedlock pregnancies. Creating human life is not shameful but destroying it is. They think it's their right and duty to tell everybody else on the planet that they have too many babies and should abort them to make life more pleasant for themselves. I don't follow religious websites. They are a huge waste of time. I already know the basics of Christianity from going to church when I was a kid, not that I didn't try to sleep through most of that.
Amused

Princeton, MA

#151 Dec 4, 2012
Occupy this wrote:
These atheist clowns believe in mankind's "natural morality." Have they looked around? Not only has atheist america demonstrated zero morality lately, but nature itself is not moral - it is opportunistic and cruel.
Atheists beleive that they are just flatulent, hairless monkeys.
http://www.google.com/imgres...
Have these farting monkey atheists seen what monkeys do to each other if and when the opportunity presents itself?
And yet you posit that these immoral, cruel beings were created by a benevolent god, in his image. All this imperfection is attributed by you to an omniscient, omnipotent being. Can you say "cognitive dissonance"? The imperfect and amoral essence of humanity and nature is perhaps the best evidence one could cite in disproving the existence of a benevolent, all-knowing, all powerful being. If humanity was to be his master stroke as a creator, the flawed nature of humanity would be a reproach to claims of divine perfection.

Of course, you started out claiming that atheism is a "dark faith", then immediately decried humanity as being a depraved lot. Can't think of much more dark a faith than yours.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152 Dec 4, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
All atheists are homosexual liberals
Works for me.

Lexington, KY

#153 Dec 4, 2012
Ah so Faux news and Christian website opinion talking points. Pssst your Christhole is showing... Again.

Sorry that in no way shows an atheist doctrine. Now hop to it I need to see you back up this so called atheist doctrine. Now hurry up chump. Provide the atheist doctrine proof or fail miserably.
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist doctrine promotes shame in being pregnant, shame of having babies, shame in allowing them to be born. That is no different than the shame that many religious people instill in the minds of their daughters for out of wedlock pregnancies. Creating human life is not shameful but destroying it is. They think it's their right and duty to tell everybody else on the planet that they have too many babies and should abort them to make life more pleasant for themselves. I don't follow religious websites. They are a huge waste of time. I already know the basics of Christianity from going to church when I was a kid, not that I didn't try to sleep through most of that.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154 Dec 4, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist doctrine promotes shame in being pregnant, shame of having babies, shame in allowing them to be born.....
Where in the world did you ever hear this nonsense.

As "atheism" is just a category, there can be NO such thing as any "atheist doctrine" no more than there could ever be one for all people in the category "theism". The very idea of such is just crazy.

Now, there is a Humanism statement, but it in no way insinuates, alludes to, or remotely addresses your paranoid delusions.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#155 Dec 4, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in the world did you ever hear this nonsense.
As "atheism" is just a category, there can be NO such thing as any "atheist doctrine" no more than there could ever be one for all people in the category "theism". The very idea of such is just crazy.
Now, there is a Humanism statement, but it in no way insinuates, alludes to, or remotely addresses your paranoid delusions.
I suppose I should have been more specific?

It is part of "Topix" atheists doctrine. You all appear to belong to the same sect. All espousing the same "rules" for living.
Crooked liberal media

United States

#156 Dec 4, 2012
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you posit that these immoral, cruel beings were created by a benevolent god, in his image. All this imperfection is attributed by you to an omniscient, omnipotent being. Can you say "cognitive dissonance"? The imperfect and amoral essence of humanity and nature is perhaps the best evidence one could cite in disproving the existence of a benevolent, all-knowing, all powerful being. If humanity was to be his master stroke as a creator, the flawed nature of humanity would be a reproach to claims of divine perfection.
Of course, you started out claiming that atheism is a "dark faith", then immediately decried humanity as being a depraved lot. Can't think of much more dark a faith than yours.
You're having trouble with reading and comprehension. Occupy this was merely pointing out how atheists view themselves. People who believe they are nothing but flatulent monkeys will act like flatulent monkeys. And indeed, this is exactly what atheist liberals do.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#157 Dec 4, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose I should have been more specific?
It is part of "Topix" atheists doctrine. You all appear to belong to the same sect. All espousing the same "rules" for living.
Well if it's that ubiquitous, you should have no problem showing me some examples of where some atheists has made a post that clearly "promotes shame in being pregnant, shame of having babies, shame in allowing them to be born"?

I am a non-theist and I do not agree with any of those positions, nor have I ever to my recollection seen these sentiments voiced by any other non-theists.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#158 Dec 4, 2012
Crooked liberal media wrote:
<quoted text>
You're having trouble with reading and comprehension. Occupy this was merely pointing out how atheists view themselves. People who believe they are nothing but flatulent monkeys will act like flatulent monkeys. And indeed, this is exactly what atheist liberals do.
As neither you nor this "Occupy" character are atheists, I find it fascinating how easily you think you can make up your own opinion about "how atheists view themselves". I guess this makes coming up with your own strawman fallacies much easier.

I am an atheist ... and a fiscal conservative and an active member of a number of local civic associations.
Crooked liberal media

United States

#159 Dec 4, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
As neither you nor this "Occupy" character are atheists, I find it fascinating how easily you think you can make up your own opinion about "how atheists view themselves". I guess this makes coming up with your own strawman fallacies much easier.
I am an atheist ... and a fiscal conservative and an active member of a number of local civic associations.
I think you're actively full of crap.

People like Occupy and myself are not making up an opinion about atheists. We are discussing the facts about atheists based upon the content of the atheist faith. Some conclusions are unavoidable based on the facts.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#160 Dec 4, 2012
<quoted text>
I think you're actively full of crap.
People like Occupy and myself are not making up an opinion about atheists. We are discussing the facts about atheists based upon the content of the atheist faith. Some conclusions are unavoidable based on the facts.
Then you should start by actually getting your facts straight.

Atheism is NOT a "faith" proposition. It is the denial of "faith" as a valid position.

Literally a-theism is "without theism". More accurately it is "without belief".

It is most definitely NOT a substitution of one belief for another.

Let me try to put it in terms you can understand --

You claim that there is a god. As an atheist, I simply doubt YOUR claim made without evidence.

That's really no different than what you do with anybody else's "god" claim. When a Hindu person claims that Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma exist, you doubt their claim and ask for evidence ... real, independently verifiable evidence.
Crooked liberal media

United States

#161 Dec 4, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should start by actually getting your facts straight.
Atheism is NOT a "faith" proposition. It is the denial of "faith" as a valid position.
Literally a-theism is "without theism". More accurately it is "without belief".
It is most definitely NOT a substitution of one belief for another.
Let me try to put it in terms you can understand --
You claim that there is a god. As an atheist, I simply doubt YOUR claim made without evidence.
That's really no different than what you do with anybody else's "god" claim. When a Hindu person claims that Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma exist, you doubt their claim and ask for evidence ... real, independently verifiable evidence.
You can't escape the reality that we all face. Word games from 1st semester philosophy class won't change reality. We are all faced with a choice of beliefs. We either believe there is a creator or we believe there is not a creator. There is no separating yourself from the issue. Atheists would like to generate themselves but reality gets in the way.

If you doubt the existence of a creator, then you're an agnostic, not an atheist. 2 conditions require faith. 1 requires doubt. Most of us are a combination of the one that requires doubt and one that requires faith.
You didnt build that

Santa Rosa, CA

#162 Dec 4, 2012
<quoted text>
You can't escape the reality that we all face. Word games from 1st semester philosophy class won't change reality. We are all faced with a choice of beliefs. We either believe there is a creator or we believe there is not a creator. There is no separating yourself from the issue. Atheists would like to generate themselves but reality gets in the way.
If you doubt the existence of a creator, then you're an agnostic, not an atheist. 2 conditions require faith. 1 requires doubt. Most of us are a combination of the one that requires doubt and one that requires faith.
Great post.

You nailed the essence of the atheist-liberal fraud. They would like to seperate themselves from reality itself. And why? Why, to make an attempt to sit on the sidelines of the real world in order to safely justify attacking people of religious faith. Atheists would be unable to justify such attacks if they were to admit that their atheism is also rooted in faith...But we all know that it is rooted in faith.

A impact of such a dark faith is all bad - just all bad. Atheist-liberals have killed more people in less that a century, than all of the religious leaders through-out all of human history put together. Atheist liberal culture in America has destroyed our country. Atheist-liberalism is a social cancer.

What should we expect from a faith whose inherant message is that life is meaningless, and morality is nothing more than an idea?
JesusCracksMeUp

Wylie, TX

#163 Dec 4, 2012
Occupy this wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
Very good posts of your own as well.
This rediculous article reads as if it were written by a college freshman - fresh out of first quarter philosophy class...Having just had his mushy soft brains sculpted by his atheist professor. But supposedly, this guy is an adult? LOL.
Atheists do employ faith in order to embrace their dark world view. And the inherant message is in fact, that life is meaningless. They get very upset and swear up and down, that their lives are meaningful. But when pressed to explain how, they become indignant and childishly insulting...which is why this article reads like a child wrote it.
Atheists refuse to see the obvious impact of their faith. Life is meaningless, morals are nothing but social constructs created by human groups...so, ultimately, there is no judgement for your actions.
The atheist golden rule? "Only do unto others, as long as you know that you can get away with it." Not exactly the kind of message that builds great societies and super powers. The atheist will swear again and again, that even though they believe these things, their "human spirit" keeps them in line...somehow.
Atheists are a joke. Atheist-liberalism is a social cancer.
...and there is NO pedophilia in the Catholic Church! No one raped children! Priests are gloriously celibate and genital-free because not only do they have the TRUTH, but if you open your yammering maw wide on a Sunday, they feed you the REAL body and blood of Jesus the Christ! You walk out of church with a mouthful of Savior which translates into better morals. Glory!

Parade of Catholic Pedophiles...The mugshots are damn sexy!
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/

If Catholicism is not your fancy as their poll numbers are dropping faster than an altar boy's pants in a Catholic rectory, you may want to check out Protestant pedophiles...

http://clergygonewild.com/sex-abuse/34-child-...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#164 Dec 4, 2012
<quoted text>
You can't escape the reality that we all face. Word games from 1st semester philosophy class won't change reality.....
And yet chose NOT to address any of my points directly.
<quoted text>
...We either believe there is a creator or we believe there is not a creator.....
Pascal's Wager is a false dichotomy (i.e., logical fallacy). There are more than 2 options to consider here. Maybe the Hindu creation story is the correct one and you are worshiping a false god.
<quoted text>
...If you doubt the existence of a creator, then you're an agnostic, not an atheist.....
Agnosticism is a statement about knowledge, not belief.

In spite of you strawman caricature of what you want to believe about atheists, an atheist does NOT claim that deities are 100% proven to not exist, but we do, for the most part, consider the possibility of any deity's existence to be so extremely improbably as to be absurd to consider.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Eagle 12 233,080
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 13 min Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Morse 1,455
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr fadu singh 23,258
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 3 hr thetruth 6
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web